Fun House Maze Under the Man-a Permanent Feature?

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Fun House Maze Under the Man-a Permanent Feature?

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:37 pm

Here's a chance to sound off!

I thought the fun-house maze underneath the Man in 2005 was so incredibly awesome, that I would like to see it become a permanent part of Burning Man. Each year's maze would be different to fit the theme, of course, but, like the city layout, the lamposts, Centre Camp, etc., there would always be a fun-house maze under the Man with each room given over to artists in which to create really awesome interactive art.

Or would this be too repetitious and limiting?

This year's preliminary design looks incredibly non-interactive and, well, lame... unless ducking underneath a big green tarp is an interactive and inspiring activity.

Anyone agree or vehemently disagree?

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:46 pm

I hate repeats. I'm ok with them building and burning a 40' man with 40' base every year because there would be riots if they tried to stop that, but we are hardly in need of new ones. I say do something different with the man every year and let participants bring things back with their own take the following year if they like.

The tarp does look lame, but I still doubt that's what the final design will be.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:00 pm

I hated the funhouse; I got trapped in a crowded room right up against some folks sharing a bowl and blocking the revolving door to get out. I have really bad asthma and the smoke set off a painful attack with a panic attack on top. Mega-unfun. Sure, that has nothing to do with the funhouse itself, but damn! I actually had a skin crawling reaction when I read your suggestion.

This year's design is probably just in the rough stages, give it a chance.

I suppose that would be vehemently disagree for me.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:49 am

I enjoyed it. Was also my first burn though

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:42 am

Hay bales forever!!!
It's what you make it.

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:34 am

I loved the funhouse and heartily second the suggestion.

I loved that it was actually DIFFICULT to reach the center stairs, not Disney-fied in the least. The tight spaces and sharp corners added to the experience.

It was how I imagined the funhouse would be in that KISS made-for-tv movie at the amusement park -- dark and a little bit dangerous.

My suggestion is to get rid of the fire-enclave. I appreciate the hard work but I hate that it takes me out of the BM vibe -- people jostling for seats, down in front bullshit. I feel like I'm forced to sit through a warm-up band before the real show and it's always too long by half.

The last few burns have felt "over-produced." Why did they fix it if it wasn't broke?
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:22 pm

HughMungus wrote:Hay bales forever!!!
wish I'd been there in those years :cry:
ps your black rock necklace is good luck!!
Burning Man 2003-19-FO2020; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

robotland

Post by robotland » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:05 am

I thought the maze was fun, although some of the revolving doors were a bit unwieldy...One of my favorite keepsakes is a big hunk of green shadecloth from the funhouse that I picked up while helping DPW demo the structure pre-burn. (Used it in my shade structure this year, in fact.) But it also created a lot of landfill debris. Yes, not all of it got burned. Obviously not a good direction to head in, considering the '07 theme. Of course, there's no reason why a lightweight maze couldn't be made from shadecloth stretched over wooden frames that could then be broken down and repurposed. In fact, I'm doing a similar thing with locust poles and salvaged banner fabric.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

dj_john69
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Post by dj_john69 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:28 pm

YES !!!!

Fuck all the lame bases with mazes and go back to hay bales!!

~John

Psyteknology

Rooms of the maze given over to Artists ?

Post by Psyteknology » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:24 pm

I really liked that idea!!! I've always had an idea in mind to connect the pads of my MIDI Drum machine to my intelligent lighting controller. The pads could be tapped with anything, an object, a ball, etc, and it would trigger certain lighting sequences and sounds depending on what was tapped. .

I do like the idea of artists having a space in which to make such ideas a reality!!

This was my first year @ burning man, and I just cannot wait for 2007!!!

**Dusty hugs**

Albie
"Your thoughts are giving structure to your future, so consider each one
carefully. Self doubt or negativity is a luxory you cannot afford right
now--there is too much at stake."

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:16 pm

I'm all for it! In fact I'm all for anything that can be repeated year after year. See, I'm always disoriented the first few days. There's always new stuff to look at and even if something was there last year, changes are it's been moved to a new location. This is confusing and makes me sad. So yeah, anything "they" did last year "they" should do again. This will minimize suprise, confusion and hurt feelings.

For example that is why I love the temple. I now know that every year that big blue dude will burn in a paroxysm of sexualized mock violence, but the next night I can get my fix of mandatory spirituality by walking to the temple and giving the palms touching over the heart "Namaste" greeting and my balance will be restored.

I think it's great that the Org, OUR Org, is willing to do so much for us!
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Psyteknology

Post by Psyteknology » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:30 pm

It's funny you should say "Our Org". I've always believed in "collective consciousness" and the power that each of our thoughts has over any given situation.

This was my first year @ burning man, and it didn't sink in until after decomp, and a very close friend teling me "we are a family" Do not be afraid to talk with your family and ask for help. So I finally get to break down that barrier!!

I understand your thoughts on things being "Familiar" if you will, but @ the same time, isn't the new ideas or changes to previous arts, what makes it worth while ?

Feel free to hit me off list if you'd like, or share it with the family!

Love In Light,

Albie aka Psytek, until someone gifts me a playa name! lol
PPS. Moop boy, is not one I will accept!!! ( Inside joke, I just have this defect, that no matter WHERE I GO, I leave something behind to remind people of my existance! ( NO TRASH allowed!!!)
"Your thoughts are giving structure to your future, so consider each one
carefully. Self doubt or negativity is a luxory you cannot afford right
now--there is too much at stake."

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:07 pm

"Every happy family is alike, but every unhappy family is unhappy in their own way".

Tolstoy

A major russian writer dude who owned much land in Rodina yet was an advocate for the serfs.

flipper

Post by flipper » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:20 am

[quote="robotland"] Of course, there's no reason why a lightweight maze couldn't be made from shadecloth stretched over wooden frames that could then be broken down and repurposed. In fact, I'm doing a similar thing with locust poles and salvaged banner fabric.[/quote]

That sounds cool enough. Personally I found the '05 fun house amazing, but the '06 was kinda skimpy. Maybe a funhouse should be an every 3 years or so thing.

If enough of a forest is created, then that would be a good change (bring the solar sunflowers out there with the recycled metal trees, and stick a swing on the trees.)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:54 am

I keep looking at the pine tree car air fresheners and wondering what one would look like twelve feet tall.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:19 am

A disturbing disquisition on humanity's divorce from natural processes?

Remember it ain't art until you get the compelling back story!

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:17 pm

he he he he AntiM...I soooo just got the mental and pinesmelly picture stuck in my mind on that idea! ha ha ha ha ha
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

janicels

Post by janicels » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:23 pm

i think it would be great to have a forest of trees and birds and big butterflys and bugs slim ones in a big bowl and gress under are feet
whooo we are camping with greeters....it will be great

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:30 pm

Anti-M:

On so many different levels, that is such a brilliant idea! Please promise you will erect your oversized air freshner. Darn clever and v. funny!

You go!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:22 am

I guess a priority is making sure everyone is out of the maze when the burn starts.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:52 am

Straw bales, Rube.

And AFAIK they're still loaded into the base prior to the burn.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:50 am

[b]Straw[/b] bales, Rube.

Garsh, thanks for clearing THAT up!

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:56 pm

well see even a horse knows that one's for bedding and one's for eating...neither in close stacked tight bales burn very well but once started go on for days. farmers have nightmares about that. those straw bale houses are supposed to be very fire resistant because the way the bales are plastered over keeps oxygen from feeding a fire.

the pyrotechnics are my favorite part anyway and I wish there were a bunch of the real loud cannon reports set off : )
Burning Man 2003-19-FO2020; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Re: Fun House Maze Under the Man-a Permanent Feature?

Post by wedeliver » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:03 am

If you build it they will come. Why not make your own fun-house maze?

Teo del Fuego wrote:Here's a chance to sound off!

I thought the fun-house maze underneath the Man in 2005 was so incredibly awesome, that I would like to see it become a permanent part of Burning Man. Each year's maze would be different to fit the theme, of course, but, like the city layout, the lamposts, Centre Camp, etc., there would always be a fun-house maze under the Man with each room given over to artists in which to create really awesome interactive art.

Or would this be too repetitious and limiting?

This year's preliminary design looks incredibly non-interactive and, well, lame... unless ducking underneath a big green tarp is an interactive and inspiring activity.

Anyone agree or vehemently disagree?
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:36 am

wedeliver:

My take on the 2005 Man and why it was so excellent is that it held my interest for hours. It was interactive. I wanted to go back to it each night to discover something I hadn't seen before. There was so much fascinating art packed into the maze, and the observation deck had incredible interactivity with the ratcheting oars to turn the Man. It also brought total strangers together as they bumped into each other and laughed while trying to navigate the maze.

So, I would love to see the Man continue to be a buzzing hub of exploration and interactivity. 2006's Man was beautiful, the Art Deco theme was perfect, the murals and the installations that were there were great. But I felt as though I experienced it all in 30 minutes.

It doesn't have to be a maze, of course, I just HOPE that future Man bases can be as participatory and intriguing as the 2005 maze, and I FEAR that from 2006 to the green tarp of 2007 (I know, prelimary design only) we are trending towards a less is more approach.

To be clear, I was not disrespecting anything or anyone connected with the 2006 Man. It was great, and I send out my heartfelt thanks to those who invested the time and effort. It really was aesthetically more appealing than 2005. Each year will be different. Some things will be "better" (highly subjective call) one year than other years.

But each to his own, everyone is different, and BM is all about a DIY can-do ethic. If I could convince, say, thirty people to pitch in with me in terms of money, time and transportation of materials, I would indeed give you guys an amazing maze next year.

Live and Burn!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:40 am

Hmmm, I think the Center Cafe as a maze would be interesting. Heh.

jc

Post by jc » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:37 pm

If there is a maze in 07' I'd like to design a room filled w/ used baby diapers. Kinda like a bounce house! :D

AbsolutJeenyus

Post by AbsolutJeenyus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:54 am

[quote="AntiM"]I hated the funhouse; I got trapped in a crowded room right up against some folks sharing a bowl and blocking the revolving door to get out. I have really bad asthma and the smoke set off a painful attack with a panic attack on top. Mega-unfun. Sure, that has nothing to do with the funhouse itself, but damn! I actually had a skin crawling reaction when I read your suggestion.

This year's design is probably just in the rough stages, give it a chance.

I suppose that would be vehemently disagree for me.[/quote]

Well Im sorry but A.) I think people sharing a bowl in the open desert air is the least of your athsmatic problems. And B.) Your spending a week in the fuckin middle of nowhere inhaling alkali dust 24/7 so you had to have forseen athsma problems coming.

Other than that I think keeping the design and theme of the city and the man different each year is part of what makes it a wonderful everchanging experience. Keeping something permanent in BRC, especially on the man, I think would hinder the essense of our everchanging population. Just my 2 cents.

-AJ

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:05 am

AbsolutJeenyus wrote:Well Im sorry but A.) I think people sharing a bowl in the open desert air is the least of your athsmatic problems. And B.) Your spending a week in the fuckin middle of nowhere inhaling alkali dust 24/7 so you had to have forseen athsma problems coming.

Other than that I think keeping the design and theme of the city and the man different each year is part of what makes it a wonderful everchanging experience. Keeping something permanent in BRC, especially on the man, I think would hinder the essense of our everchanging population. Just my 2 cents.

-AJ

Proof that the value of the dollar or in this case cent is dropping. 4 months without posting and this is what you have for us?

Now on to my 2 cents.. after giving careful thought I feel that change is good, excepting the Man and the Conclave. I cannot believe someone even hinted about gettin rid of the Man. YOU HERETIC!! We should BURN YOU in 07!! :) j/k Dork. As to the fire performers, I don't think they are really to blame for the crowding. Everyone wants a "good" seat for the whole shebang. In fact I think we should DOUBLE the amount of fire performers! I know next to nothing about poi and such but was thinkin of getting one of those jumpropes from bearclaw to start out with. I know I am letal with glowsticks, NO REALLY.. I'm serious. Stay away from me when I am tryin to spin those things. I could put your eye out. I can jump rope though so I may try that out. Was this post off topic enough. I didn't even mention the .........

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:02 am

Well Im sorry but A.) I think people sharing a bowl in the open desert air is the least of your athsmatic problems. And B.) Your spending a week in the fuckin middle of nowhere inhaling alkali dust 24/7 so you had to have forseen athsma problems coming.
The people were NOT sharing a bowl in the open desert. They were under the man in the maze, blocking all access through opne of those STUPID revolving doors and I was pinned up against them, trapped by a pushing crowd behind me. I had no escape, no way to escape their STUPID smoke in a CROWDED area. I choose to label them self-entitled asshatted dimwits.

I live in Fucking UTAH, a very dry and alkali environment, and fairly dusty even in the 'burbs. I have had asthma for decades; I know my triggers: mildew and molds, green allergens, and any type opf herbal-based SMOKE. Not dust. I've spent plenty of time in the desert dust without a single wheeze or bronchial spasm. One good whiff of smoke and bam! Asthma attack.

I am not stupid, nor uneducated about my condition. I am not an ignorant bint. Inconsiderate smokers of any stripe may kindly bite my ass.

Return to “2007 Theme”