Your latest GREEN accomplishment

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon May 28, 2007 8:51 pm

You can get reflectix in different thicknesses and rolls.
It is mostly used in the attic.
I am going to try using it under the roof with openings at the top and bottom.
With upper and lower venting on the roof, it should provide additional stacks to flow heat to the top vent.
Solar powered heat removal.
It would work at burning man as an inside layer.
Reflects heat inward too.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue May 29, 2007 1:20 pm

this year we decided not to go to burningman. That's at least 6 tanks of gas and mountains of useless plastic crap I don't have to worry about anymore.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Imagigrl

Michael Pawlyn at Zeitgeist Europe 2007

Post by Imagigrl » Wed May 30, 2007 7:54 am

I'm not gonna make it this year, but this just posted on YouTube.
Michael Pawlyn designed the Eden project in the U.K. along with other
amazing yet sensible green buildings.

Truly an inspiration!! Wish I could afford to have him design my house.

Always with warm fuzzy GREEN love...
~Alvays mit wuv. ;x

Imagigrl

Post by Imagigrl » Wed May 30, 2007 8:07 am

I'm with blyslv in that my contribution to BMan this year is to save the ozone from my car exhaust by not making it to the playa.

However, I am going to my local regional burn Apogaea. If ya got a local burn, go!!! They need all the support they can get... and at nearly $4 a gallon... in the end it's worth it.

In a way, I'm glad we've pushed ourselves into this eco corner... it takes an extreme wake up call to pull us back to nature.
~Alvays mit wuv. ;x

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Wed May 30, 2007 8:17 am

I'm with blyslv in that my contribution to BMan this year is to save the ozone from my car exhaust by not making it to the playa.
I'm not trying to nitpick but does car exhaust do anything to the ozone? If so I'm completely unaware and would like to know; if not we should be careful about what we say. People who do not want to believe we can damage our current environment look to disprove small statements in an attempt to discredit all statements.
In a way, I'm glad we've pushed ourselves into this eco corner... it takes an extreme wake up call to pull us back to nature.
I agree. It would be better if we weren't doing this, but it's human nature to need big problems before we bring big changes.

Imagigrl

Post by Imagigrl » Wed May 30, 2007 8:44 am

You are right, I stand corrected. Ok, so it's a chain reaction and good ozone is better than bad ozone. Good (upper) ozone is that gaseous protective sun shield that surrounds the stratosphere of our planet. It keeps the solar rays from burning away the Earth's living crust, crusty us included. Bad (lower) ozone is the concentration of dangerous pollutants- inc. ozone gas -eating away at the oxygen produced on the Earth's surface. Some theorists suggest that the Earth has its own safety mechanism in that it opens windows in the upper ozone to allow these pollutants to escape, but only does so when triggered by an enormous natural catastrophe (i.e., super-eruption or simultaneous global volcanic explosions - or - mankind producing too much CO2 etc. for the green Earth to process in a timely manner). Man could be considered a natural catastrophe. So, I guess what I should say is that car exhaust contributes to bad ozone thus DEPLETING OXYGEN while INCREASING BAD OZONE in our breathable atmosphere thereby slowly suffocating to death all life on Earth. I misused the term "Depleting Ozone" and doing so further mystifies the issue of Global Warming. To bring this issue closer to home, one should be precise in ones use of such terminology. We should say "Depleting Our Breathable Air" then everyone would take the issue much more personally. Ok, so, get off my back! ;)
~Alvays mit wuv. ;x

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Wed May 30, 2007 8:58 am

Do cars even create much ozone (O3)? I know we make a lot of it but I did not know much came from tailpipes. I know a lot of other junk comes from there but I was unaware of the ozone. And I've also read about problems being created by ozone in the lower atmosphere. It is basically just another greenhouse gas and there could be some problems with breathing it. Fortunately it's not very stable stuff.

Return to “2007 Theme”