Illegal Trash Dumping Off the Playa

estahl

Illegal Trash Dumping Off the Playa

Post by estahl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:19 pm

The Green Man theme makes this the perfect year to do something about all of the illegal dumping done along 80 and elsewhere as people leave the event.

I think people have the best of intentions but get lazy after a week in the desert and toss their trash into some dumpster along the way. This woudln't be the end of the world if every dumpster from Reno to San Francisco wasn't overflowing under a mountain of trash.

Last year my wife and I finally found the Reno dump and paid something trivial, like $9, to properly ditch our trash.

At a minimum I'd like to see more awareness of legal/proper options for getting ride of trash.

Even better would be for one of the locals to make a few $ by getting a dumpster and letting people pay to properly dispose of their trash. It would be a win, win.

I know people will crow about minimizing waste and packing it all the way home, but the reality is that people leave our utopian playa only to littler their way home. It's a real embarassment to the Burning Man community!

How can we give people better options?

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:44 pm

Anyone wanting to help with this issue, there are several avenues:

*volunteer for DPW Donation Station, and yell at people to batten down their stuff as people are leaving. Hell, gift em rope if you can.

*volunteer for Exodus to do same

*volunteer for cleaning up the roads after the event for those people who didn't hear you the first time

My point is to volunteer to keep it from impacting the locals. So make it happen, git 'er done. Keep the trash affixed to the vehicle so it gets to it's proper dumping destination.
NOT dumpsters at businesses or parks, but da Dump. Sorry I don't have driving directions, but it's fairly easy to look up.

RobbiDobbs
DPW Volunteer Coordinator (porta-potties)
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project

edited for clarification of the point

dragonfly Jafe

Re: Illegal Trash Dumping Off the Playa

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:48 pm

estahl wrote:The Green Man theme makes this the perfect year to do something about all of the illegal dumping done along 80 and elsewhere as people leave the event.......Even better would be for one of the locals to make a few $ by getting a dumpster and letting people pay to properly dispose of their trash. It would be a win, win...
This is great idea. Like a car wash, only a garbage drop off. The issue would be finding enough space for the dumpsters and managing traffic such that the highway was not interupted and yet dumpster trucks could still easily get to it. And figuring out how to properly charge folks for their trash. Now to interest a local charity with excess personel that weekend that can find some unused space off the highway....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

estahl

Post by estahl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:23 pm

I can't take credit for the idea... one year (2004?) there was a guy accepting trash behind the gas station right before you get on I-80. He was charging something like $5/bag. You would pay inside at the register and get tickets, then bring your trash bags to the giant truck in back and he would toss them in. It had to be very profitible for him (truck rental, dumping fees and one dude) and it was a HUGE convenience for us. I think this would be a gold mine for a local business or charity who could stand to benefit from the event, like the car washes and taco stands set up along the route.

RobbiDobbs, I agree that people need to keep their crap from flying off of their cars and trailers. That is another important, but slightly different issue. What frusterates me is to see all of the trash intentionally left behind at dumpsters, gas stations, hotels, etc.

It's a complete embarassment every year but I understand how it happens. We've all been there... you are completely cracked from a week at Burning Man and you have an 8, 12 or 40 hour drive ahead of you. You need to dump your trash but you don't know where. Despite your best intentions, that dumpster is just too tempting so you toss your crap on the pile.

I think people would do the right thing if presented some options. One thing I'd like to see Burning Man.org step up to is to communicate directions to legal places to dump garbage, like the Reno dump.

I would volunteer to put some time into this if people think it is worthwhile.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:51 pm

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... trash.html

Where you can take your trash legally after the event.

I pack my trash on the bottom of the pickup bed double or tripple bagged alternating the opening end. I put heavy things on top of the trash bags so that there is no possibility of the trash becoming moop on the ride to defaultia. I carry my trash all the way home and deposite it in my curb side trash can.
I think people want to get rid of trash early because it has a bad connotation. People don't want trash on their vehicle or arround them. What difference does it make if you carry the trash home in real terms.
I too am horified by the bags of trash I see on the road side. It seems that the caring (for some people) stops as they pack to leave. I guess an answer would be to somehow extend the LNT ethic to more people and carry through the journey home. I have no idea how to help this happen.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon May 28, 2007 5:15 pm

To robbidobbs: There are 5 places that I can think of that burners can dumo their trash in the Reno area. (1) The Lockwood dump. To get there, going west on I80 take the Mustang exit which is just past the commercial vehicle inspection lot. There will be a Cheveron gas station on the oppisite side. Turn left at the stop sign, go aprx. 1/2 mile and turn left and go under the freeway and turn left again. Go past the Cheveron station and bear right at the east bound 80 on ramp. A salvage/junk yard is on the right. Go under the railroad underpass, cross the river. The road makes a sweeping left and the remains of the Mustang brothel is on the left. (Was torched for fire department training earlier this year) After that the road makes a hard right, going uphill and through the landfill gates. Continue going up the hill and back down until you see the shack where one pays. Charges are by the yard. Watch for wild horses and eratic drivers going and coming from the dump. One will need to be in the left lane when approaching the "shack". Follow the poor signs to the public dumping area. (2) Fernley transfer station. On 95A south of Fernley on the left. Just past the high school. Charge by the yard (3) Dayton transfer station. On US 50 about 4 miles east of Dayton, about 2miles north of the highway via Enterprise Rd. Charge by the yard (4) Sage St transfer station. Going west on I80 exit 4th St/Victorian Ave. Just past Rock Blvd exit. Take a left at the light at the bottom of the ramp, go under the freeway and go to 3rd traffic light light. This is Sage St and about 1mile. The Big Red Barn (Twin City Surplus) is on the right. Make a left, cross the railroad and make a right. A few hundred yards down on the left is the security shack/entrance. Charge by the yard These 4 places are operated by Waste Management(5) Carson City dump. West bound on US 50 through Dayton. Go up the hill into and through Moudhouse, obeying the 45 speed limit. Once through Moundhouse and heading down into Carson City, look for Flint Rd-Landfill-Recycling sign on ones right. Turn left and follow road to scales. One must weigh in before dumping. Ask where to dump. One must weigh before exiting at the scale oppisite of the weigh in scale. This dump is opperated by the city, not Waste Management so they may ask where one is coming from.

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 pm

One thing I'd like to see Burning Man.org step up to is to communicate directions to legal places to dump garbage, like the Reno dump.
The full page of info in the Survival Guide (required reading!) and reminders on the site and in the JRS are presented quite prominently. Do you have other suggestions for getting the word out?

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Wed May 30, 2007 8:23 pm

Two other places to dump trash is (1) The Stead transfer station: US 395 north from Reno. Take the Stead Blvd exit and bear right at the bottom of the ramp. O'brian middle school will be on ones right. Continue north on Stead Blvd, past Silver Lake Blvd. There will be a traffic light at Lear Blvd, aprx 2 miles after exiting 395. The first street past Lear Blvd, from the left is Mt. Babcock St. Turn left. The first intersection one wil comw to is Mt. Anderson. Turn left again and the road will make a sweeping right curve and the entrance to the transfer station will be half way through the curve on the right. Charge is by the yard. Opperated by Waste Managment. The Lockwood dump, Carson City dump and the transfer stations are all open Sunday and will be closed Monday. (Labor Day) (2) For those continuing north in California, there is a dump in Susanville. Don't know anything about that place.

miss velvet cream

trash vs. recycle-ables......

Post by miss velvet cream » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:33 pm

um, small detail, but really, sorting camp trash masters into
RECYCLE-ABLES vs. STRAIGHT TRASH
makes a huge difference
the recycleables make CA$H if not for you, then for another worker bee
and that's a big component of reducing the carbon footprint (and the bloody trash!)
note however, the recycling sorting machines HATE plastic bags
the cans and the like can be moved in plastic but bags CANNOT be mixed in with the recycling
it botches the sorter
plastic bags are quite simply straight landfill
let's get rid of them!!!!
http://sanfrancisco.tribe.net/people/missvelvetcream

Return to “2007 Theme”