who else is making a 'tree' this year?

pokiedot

who else is making a 'tree' this year?

Postby pokiedot » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:55 pm

from the website's description of this year's theme:

Artists are invited to contribute to this forest by creating simulated 'trees' fashioned from recycled industrial materials. These artificial trees will not be burned: they will survive to subdivide the blue of other skies.

so... who else is making a tree? i plan to make one, but i'm stuck on a few logistical concerns, mainly around how to secure it. my tree will hopefully use a real tree trunk, from a fairly small tree, as it's base. how the heck am i going to make it stand up? the obvious would be to dig a post-hole and shove a good amount of the trunk down it, but we all know that's a no-no. if any of you are making trees, how will you make it stand? i'd really like to avoid using guy lines.. people need to be able to walk right up to my tree, and move all around it without obstructions. thanks for any ideas or input you can provide!

skeetsh00ter

Postby skeetsh00ter » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:25 pm

why not just pound a (or a few) 5ish foot piece of rebar into the ground and then just use zip-ties or something else to secure it. Another thing that might work would be to drill 3 or 4 inches into the base of the trunk and the put it directly onto the same length of rebar. Xmas tree lots do that to keep trees up without any problems (although there will probably be a lot more wind on the playa than a x mas tree lot.)

good luck with the project

Return to “2007 Theme”