Knitter and Crocheters.. UNTIE!!

pokiedot

Knitter and Crocheters.. UNTIE!!

Post by pokiedot » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:49 pm

Calling all knit and crochet addicts! Please join me in the collaborative creation of 'A Tree Undone', a knit and crochet sculpture to be shared with Black Rock City in 2007.

This piece begins as a simple tree, standing about 9 feet tall and 5 feet wide. Tied to the branches will be thousands of leaves, crocheted or knitted from yarn. These leave will be left unfinished; that is, not "tied off," so that participants may unravel the leaves. By the end of the week, the tree will have hundreds of strands of yarn hanging down from the branches. The intention of this piece is to connect people with the inseparable forces of creation and destruction. As we undo these leaves, we recreate the sculpture.

Please visit the project's website for more thoughts, crochet and knitting patterns and instructions on how to participate.

www.pokiedot.com

Thanks, and see ya on the playa!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:49 am

Check with DPW about the yarn unraveling. I've heard it's horrible moop.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:51 am

If participants use the yarns specified, there shouldn't be an issue provided they are secured properly (firmly knotted) to the tree stand.

pokiedot

no moopy yarns!

Post by pokiedot » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:03 am

thanks CapSmashy, that's just what i was about to say. but i'll definitely be in contact with dpw, the artery, etc, to be sure this is all a-okay with them.

there are pretty firm guideline on the site about what kinds of yarn to use, and i won't use any leaves made from yarns other than the ones i specify.. even if the leaf's real perty!

does anyone kmow if there were any moop issues with last year's cat's cradle?

jarjar

Post by jarjar » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:38 am

i'll crochet a few leaves for ya. make sure you post where your camp is so i can deliver them!
"see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass?"

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:08 am

There's a fun article in the current issue of CRAFT about a group called Knittahs With Attitude that do Urban Guerrilla knitting...
Howdy From Kalamazoo

pyke

Post by pyke » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:09 pm

or there's always my local fave for urban guerilla knitting:

http://www.knittaplease.com/

i'm no knitter, but my SO is. She's in the process of knitting a few leaves in honor of our family members. Either i'll deliver them to the playa myself or i'll see to it that a trusted burner does.

nevermind on that delivery part - we'll mail them in as directed (shoulda read the instructions first).

pokiedot

Post by pokiedot » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:49 pm

jarjar wrote:i'll crochet a few leaves for ya. make sure you post where your camp is so i can deliver them!
yay! thanks! actually, it would be best if you could pop them in the mail for me, so i can be sure to attach them to the tree properly. i probably won't be accepting leaves out there, just because my attachment method to the tree is quite involved. hope that's doable! the address is on the website at: www.pokiedot.com/participate.htm thanks so much for participating!

pokiedot

Post by pokiedot » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:51 pm

pyke wrote:or there's always my local fave for urban guerilla knitting:

http://www.knittaplease.com/

i'm no knitter, but my SO is. She's in the process of knitting a few leaves in honor of our family members. Either i'll deliver them to the playa myself or i'll see to it that a trusted burner does.

nevermind on that delivery part - we'll mail them in as directed (shoulda read the instructions first).
the knitta gang are my HEROS! i love them. more renegade yarn art! yay!

and tell your SO thanks for me! that is awesome!

dancemaker

great idea

Post by dancemaker » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:57 pm

Hey I will definietly be into making some leaves for the tree. I am going to see if my knit group the Knit Wits want to all contribute to it.
Dancing across the Universe

pokiedot

Free Crochet Workshop!

Post by pokiedot » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:07 pm

Hey all, just wanted to add an addendum to this post. I'll be hosting a free 'How To Crochet A Leaf' Workshop in San Francisco on June 27.

Details can be found on my website (again, www.pokiedot.com).

Hope to see ya!

Return to “2007 Theme”