Hey LeChat, What Are You Working On?

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:50 pm

I hear there's an antique farm equipment show in Indiana sometime in September. I'm on the look out for a small hit-n-miss engine to convert to veg oil.

Jeez... what they hell have I gotten myself started on here.

Yes, post pics when you can!! And cheer Elliot on some for me, too.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:01 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:I hear there's an antique farm equipment show in Indiana sometime in September. I'm on the look out for a small hit-n-miss engine to convert to veg oil.

Jeez... what they hell have I gotten myself started on here.

Yes, post pics when you can!! And cheer Elliot on some for me, too.

\/
Antqiue Power Land of Brooks Or. (15 minutes north) is having it's big "steam up" Last weekend of Jul. first week of Aug..

On this one I promise lots of pictures..

I have to go eat a lot from the VFW stand.. Like corn on the cob.. They are trying to build a new building without taking out a loan..

I get to have all the fun ha ha..

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Going across I-80 in Nebraska there is a place with antique appliances, I think also one with antique farm machinery and a couple of places with antique cars. Also on I-80 in Wyoming there is a guy who has collected antique tractors in his front yard.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

karine

Post by karine » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:43 pm

Okay - While you guys' go out and scavange for more parts...
I am going to round up chicks for the driver's seat of the contraption!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:52 pm

We need some to run the pump too!!

A whole crew!!

karine

Post by karine » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:11 pm

Okay! Rounding em' up!

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:15 pm

A female contraption crew! This is gonna be fun! :D

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:41 pm

I got the headlights done and mounted tonight. They put out more than enough light to see by, but not enough to be obnoxious. Even wired in a separate switch for them so if we pull up to some place and wish to turn off the headlights, but leave the purple glow action going, then we can. And did I mention that I put on four additional Cold Cathodes for a total of eight?!?

Huh? Did I?

What?

Are you sure??

I don't think I did. Let me show you a picture...

I'll get the red tail lamp done tomorrow.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:12 am

HaHa, that looks SPOOKY, like a ghost of the past come back...wait that's kind of what IS happening. The amazing Contraption looks nearly completed, what remains to be done?

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:43 am

Lots of small details left, but I think it won't be much longer at all.

If there ever really is such a thing as "done".

I've got to finish the plumbing on the smokestack, do some remaining trim work, the taillamp, and polish off the rest of the little things that need some attention.

Then its on to the Edwardian/Steampunk/Alterdimensional Farmer-type outfits.

karine

Post by karine » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:25 am

If we could see around the corner of the shop (in your picture just posted) the under carriage lighting looks like it would illuminate the "to do" list on the chalkboard!

Wish we were there with you, le Chat!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:07 am

Awe… I wish you were here too. It’d be twice the fun!! And yes, you'd see the list, which is shrinking steadily.

Not much longer, though and we’ll be having a sewing party to get the canvas work and outfits done!!! And since you’re here in the thread…

I need some input from all you Contraptioneers:

I have one road hazard lamp (with red globe) for a taillight. I have possible lead on another one… maybe. Here’s a pic of it again for reference:

I have several options for approaching this.

I had originally intended to have one tail lamp (due in large part to the fact that I’d only found one), and putting it right in the middle of the back, since it sort of reminded me of a train caboose. But now I’m thinking of some other possibilities.

1) One lamp, mounted in the center of the back at bumper level.

2) One lamp mounted on the left side of the back at bumper level.

3) One lamp mounted on the left side of the back with a smashed up empty bracket where a lamp “used to beâ€

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:19 pm

How about one lamp with the ability to be moved to the right or left to indicate which way you are going to turn? Default position is center for going straight ahead. It could either slide left to right on a track or be mounted on an arm that points straight back from the center and swings left or right.

I know it is probably to late for something like that, but it would be cool.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:47 pm

[quote="LeChatNoir"]Awe… I wish you were here too. It’d be twice the fun!! And yes, you'd see the list, which is shrinking steadily.

Not much longer, though and we’ll be having a sewing party to get the canvas work and outfits done!!! And since you’re here in the thread…

I need some input from all you Contraptioneers:

I have one road hazard lamp (with red globe) for a taillight. I have possible lead on another one… maybe. Here’s a pic of it again for reference:

I have several options for approaching this.

I had originally intended to have one tail lamp (due in large part to the fact that I’d only found one), and putting it right in the middle of the back, since it sort of reminded me of a train caboose. But now I’m thinking of some other possibilities.

1) One lamp, mounted in the center of the back at bumper level.

2) One lamp mounted on the left side of the back at bumper level.

3) One lamp mounted on the left side of the back with a smashed up empty bracket where a lamp “used to beâ€

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:55 pm

if you have one put it center rear. If you get the second one, mount it above the other somewhat forward like ranging lights on a river channel or tug/barge combo.

Possibly a pair of semaphores that are maybe round with a hand cutout, one for left, one for right. Raise the correct one behind(in front of from rear perspective) to indicate turn. Possibly a third one to indicate you are "going up" i.e. raised finger :roll:
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:33 pm

I think it would look cool to have the single red light attached to a flexible pole off the back. When you move it would bob up and down, back and forth.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:03 pm

Hmm, I will vote for a center mount at mid-seat-back height with either a rigid or swinging fancy scrollwork mount.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:33 pm

Tiahaar wrote:Hmm, I will vote for a center mount at mid-seat-back height with either a rigid or swinging fancy scrollwork mount.

We have a winner........
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:51 pm

Semaphores… you guys are genius. I would never have thought of that. And swinging to the left and right… good idea Box. All of these would be doable, even with the back figuring and retrofitting stuff. And the swinging left and right could be done with a simple gear and chain from the steering column, actually. But it would have been easier to fit it in earlier.

The semaphores would be a bit harder, but I’m seeing cams and sewing machine type pushrods. Good God, you guys could keep me busy. The problem is that… well… I’ve been working on this thing almost every night since late January, and planning since before that and I’m just wearing down, man. As much fun as it is, I’m ready for it to be done.

So after looking at everyone’s ideas, it seems that everybody likes the single lamp in the center. I tried it at different heights and it just looked best at bumper level, so that’s where I put it. And as much wonk as it would provide, I worried that placing it in a moving mount of some sort might eventually rub a wire and cause a short or something. Isn’t that funny? I’m approaching the construction of this thing like I was going to be using it everyday for years and years.

Tiahaar… I've been going with a more utilitarian type bracket for all the lamps, since it seems like everything to do with moving the machine should be rugged and no frills, but the rumbleseat and similar items are frilly more decorative. You’ll like the left side guard I made tonight. It matches the metalwork on the smokestack base and has a newel post for grabbing on to when boarding via the step ladder. It worked out pretty well. I’ll post some pics soon.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:59 pm

ibdave wrote:
Tiahaar wrote:Hmm, I will vote for a center mount at mid-seat-back height with either a rigid or swinging fancy scrollwork mount.

We have a winner........
Man... you guys are making me rethink that utilitarian bracket thing.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:08 pm

And then there is the question about a speedometer mount, I mean How would you know your going 5 miles an hour without one,......

and maybe a mister system to keep your power plants cool

it never ends

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:14 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
ibdave wrote:

We have a winner........
Man... you guys are making me rethink that utilitarian bracket thing.
I like this one too! What I had envisioned was sorta utilitarian. This is much better. It would still be fun to have is swing right to left though.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:39 am

....would it be possible to add a wind-powered power input for the flywheel?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:41 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:....would it be possible to add a wind-powered power input for the flywheel?
It would if I weren't already working on the gear driven cigar clipper/toe nail trimmer/beer opener device.

I actually would like to add a shaft PTO that could accept various attachments. I'm thinking along the lines of a mechanical hammer that you could feed aluminum cans into a top mounted guide and they would drop one by one onto the anvil, get squashed, and then a little lever arm would flick them out and clear the spot for the next one. Seems like it'd be great fun to pull up to recycle camp and put it to work.

Before the idea congealed into The Contraption, I'd thought of making a human powered, flywheel driven blacksmithing hammer for a Playa Smithy. Then I remembered that old farm stuff and went off on that tangent.

So I'd one day like to revisit that idea of different PTO driven attachments to do stuff. Charge batteries, squash cans, shell corn, blower for a forge... whatever. I'd intended a PTO from the get-go and just don’t think it’ll get in there this year. But I intentionally have room on the flywheel shaft for one or two more pulleys/sprockets.

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:13 pm

I have seen pictures of Colonel Colts manufacturing facility where a whole room full of machinery was driven by a waterwheel. Now wouldn't that be fun with a Dutch windmill running machinery to smash cans, make schwag and of course; Blend drinks!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:27 pm

The woolen mill in town ws run by a single shaft off a water wheel.. Caarding, spinning, weaving. and elevators..

You can tour the mill and see it working.. It's three storys and about a city block long.. At each station the voice of a past employee will explain the station and what that person did.. They made blanket for WW 1& 2.. It was in operation well into the 50s

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:12 pm

I've seen old smithies that were water powered, too. A maze of flat belts over head with drops at each machine.

I love that stuff.

When I was growing up, down in the woods was an old grist mill. Most of the structure's wood was gone, but the foundation remained. It was of a type I’ve never seen before or since. It sat on a saddle in the ridge of the hill and the creek made a big horseshoe around, with the mill site being its closest point. If you had a good arm, you could throw a rock in the creek on one side, turn around and throw a rock in the creek one mile down stream.

Rather than sluicing the water from way up the valley like most mills, they makers used the siteto their advantage and cut a tunnel underneath that saddle. They could divert the entire creek through it when they were milling and thereby the wheel was powered from underneath. At the point that I was old enough to go there by myself, it was beginning to silt in and the tunnel was completely closed off by numerous floods. I never saw first hand the mechanisms that made it work, but I can speculate.

There were some other small buildings, including an old barn down there too that had an skid sled in it, along with some various bits of wagon parts and other items. My brother found a wagon seat with some of the wood still on it somewhere near there. These buildings were placed at a junction point of roads and you could still make out where they had been at one time. But now it was all being reclaimed by the woods and the perfect place for a boy to let his imagination run wild.

Oddly enough there is a new road built there now, right over the place the old mill used to be and just a little to the side of the wagon road. It strikes me as an interesting contrast of place and time… these two images. On this new road, people travel to and fro at high speed. Probably rarely even glance off the shoulder of the pavement, much less had any idea of the memories buried just beneath their wheels.

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:36 pm

It's really a shame that such things do not exist much anymore. I am really a fan of the older technologies and I believ that they have their place in todays world. The whole idea of "bigger, better, faster more" just does not work for me. They just don't always, or even often, add up. The new generation of technologies are almost always wasteful and often have undesireable side effects.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:19 am

Box Burner wrote:It's really a shame that such things do not exist much anymore. I am really a fan of the older technologies and I believ that they have their place in todays world. The whole idea of "bigger, better, faster more" just does not work for me. They just don't always, or even often, add up. The new generation of technologies are almost always wasteful and often have undesireable side effects.
I agree Box.

I believe there is a place for all technology. The problem I think, comes when people cease to view it as a tool, and begin to view it as a substitution for their own humanity.

“Old Worldâ€

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:47 am

Your grist mill story has me in the frame of mind to show and tell about the wonderful steam engine I photographed the other week end..

I moved to Salem in 1970 and heard about a train that was land locked after a fire had swept through a logging area.. Some where in the coast range mountains..

Anyone that knows me, knows I can't let something like that be.. I started asking questions.. The old boys had a ball with me..   This one or that one had seen it but couldn't tell rightly where.. Maybe some where up out of Black Rock logging camp.. Or maybe out of Vellcets.. ( which was over a mountain from one to the other))

I made up a pack and was out there any time I could put in.. Got so good at it I could hike three day with a 11 lb pack.. Tea, crackers, jerky and roots.. That coast range is sixty miles deep.. I work through brush and saw tooth fern some times so thick I had to cut my way..

I spent some of the most peaceful times of my life out there.. I would find raiments of long past logging operations.. Things like: A long pipe or just the top of a line shack.. In the line shacks I would find bottles and opium veils.. This would indicate Chinese rail road workers.. You had to be very careful with these veils.. Most were sugar glass in stead of sand..
I would gather what I could and my mother in law would sell them for me.. This is how I financed the hikes..
Some time one hike (three days) would be sixty mile to the coast.. I'd call the wife and she would come get me.. i'd be damn happy for the ride home..

The whole problem with this, Was I took the old boy word up there to mean up the the ridge.. Wrong!!..

At age 44 I was smoking three packs a day.. That got me my first heart attack.. The doctor grounded me from lone hiking.. I kept smoking another two years and another heart attack.. Also no more woods for me.. I did stop smoking but the lungs and heart didn't recover..
I still longed to touch that train.. even after I was told the engine had made it out before the tressels burned.. I didn't know then but that was the key.. Tressel(s)...

I had the kids out for a romp one week end.. We were racing paper cups in this small river.. I noticed a cement pier in the water.. We went up stream and found more.. They had built tressels right in the river.. OOne after another.. Sounds sound to me.. No grade to cut, Just follow the river bed.. It run from Fall City to Black Rock.. That's when I went back for a history listen.. And the train engines they used..
First I was told the tracks run through the middle of a saw mill.. That summer I went up river to Black Rock where the road runs into the base of Fanto Mt.. Everything was over grown from many years and there was evidence of rattle snake,, lots of rattle snake!! Thank you..

I withdrew until winter.. After prowling around I found stumps with cable cuts.. They were used as anchors for steam donkey yarders.. Then I found a depression that was littered with about three foot of tree bark .. (nice snake bedding) The mill pond, ah ha.. Then the RR grade and the heavy timbers that held the steam driven saw.. I sat on a rock and imagined the mill in full operation.. Every thing ended there.. It seem the earth had close a door.. Little did I know that is what had happened..

Now THe Train.. I talked to an old logger that explained the train and the tressels in the river.. He said:The trains were French built with six or eight driver wheels..         (Please click onto the attached link)
The drivers were only 3 feet tall.. They could not climb a grade.. The tracks were laid along the valley floors which most had a river in them.. Remember I was thinking UP... Wasted three years behind semantics. . Damn hill billys.. This still did not explain the sudden end of the track/grade..

A few years later I was back up to Black Rock.. At the end of the saw mill area the river makes a quick bend.. A BLM bridge is right there.. The river disappears around another bend into very steep landscape.. The ground drops off 50 feet for 50 feet.. And land slide make it possible only to repel into that canyon.. I walked across the bridge and in the direction the river went.. There was a small crevasse that I had to jump.. Just as I jump I looked down.. About 15 feet down I saw the corner of a cement pier.. The earth had heaved and slid and close the door to history.. As I said the ground is to steep to go in that way.. You would have to repel from the top.. But I know now where that train is.. Huge boulders have rolled down into the river making that impassable also.. You would be waist deep in fast rapids of real cold water..

I don't know how many flat car are there.. The story go's: that the workers were trying to save the equipment.. When the fire started to overtake them they disconnected the engine and go the hell out of there.. THe cars are loaded with cables and steam donkeys..

Any one want to drag an old man through the wood so he can touch that train before he takes the big dirt nap??

So you can see why I was so happy to see the engine in the pictures attached..

In the pictures you can see a rail ing around the top of the tender.. This tells you it was a wood burner.. In my excitement I said it was a six wheeler.. But it has 8 drivers.. Count the wheels with the counter weights along the push rod..
http://community.webtv.net/unjonharley/doc8

Return to “2007 Theme”