Hey LeChat, What Are You Working On?

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:04 am

unjonharley wrote:��Any one want to drag an old man through the wood so he can touch that train before he takes the big dirt nap??
I would...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:27 am

wwwWWOOOOOWWwww....

You make me want to trek out to the west coast just to try and find it too. Damn the distance... that's the paradox of an interent community, I reckon.

Ok... Now I'm wondering about a "fly to oregon and find a train" adventure.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:01 am

Try The train pictures again..

http://community.webtv.net/unjonharley/doc

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:14 am

[quote="LeChatNoir"]

I wonder... if a person from 200 years ago could look at our ease of getting around and accomplishing tasks like getting produce from Chile to Kentucky, for lack of insight they might easily trade their hard life for our “easeâ€

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:12 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:wwwWWOOOOOWWwww....

You make me want to trek out to the west coast just to try and find it too. Damn the distance... that's the paradox of an interent community, I reckon.

I am serious. I bring mountain rescue skills and equipment (including rappelling gear if needed). I am very capable in backcountry route finding and map/compass work. If you know where this train is, we can get there (eventually) assuming it is on earth (or beneath it - I am also an experienced spelunker and scuba diver).

All we need is a date and a location (and maybe some pain meds for Unjon and me)

are you game?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:46 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:wwwWWOOOOOWWwww....

I am serious. I bring mountain rescue skills and equipment (including rappelling gear if needed). I am very capable in backcountry route finding and map/compass work. If you know where this train is, we can get there (eventually) assuming it is on earth (or beneath it - I am also an experienced spelunker and scuba diver).

All we need is a date and a location (and maybe some pain meds for Unjon and me)

are you game?
\/
Maybe late in the fall early winter.. Don't like snake in the hot summer.. It's been almost a hundred years maybe less.. One hunter said he saw it with small trees growing through it.. I don't believe him.. I do believe trees are growning through it.. If i remember there should be seven flat cars.. I have BLM maps..old but good ones.. There is/was a logging road about 3-4 hundred feet above.. The bottom can be reached by using a couple stageing areas on the way down.. Could be winched back up.. the cilmb would only take a day trip,, Long day.. The most work would be taking pictures of the cars in the under brush.. Anyone doing this would want take the tour of what I wrote last night..

I don't use pain pills.. I have learned to eat the pain.. I would have to work real hard on my left hand before trying anything like this..

I would/could go back over the true history.. To state a documentary on a trip into history..

Thanks for thinking of me..

karine

Post by karine » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:35 pm

Wow.
This is a fantastic idea! Are we all heading to the playa so we can have a meeting about this there?! I am really excited about some exploring...
and frankly, I'd like to sit around and talk stories, too.

((and I LOVE the lights ideas for the contraption- and a PTO for MIXED drinks! That's what I was thinking, Box!!))

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:58 pm

karine wrote:Wow.
This is a fantastic idea! Are we all heading to the playa so we can have a meeting about this there?! I am really excited about some exploring...
and frankly, I'd like to sit around and talk stories, too.

((and I LOVE the lights ideas for the contraption- and a PTO for MIXED drinks! That's what I was thinking, Box!!))
yeah... I'm seriously considering it. Lets sit down and talk abut this at the burn. This is sometihng that sounds like an opportunity that should be taken.

One thing you'll find about me is that I'm slow to make a decision. I generally think on it and ponder at great length. But if I tell you I'll do it, and its within my control, I will. This really does sound like a grand thing. I've done my share of hiking and can tie my own rappelling harness with rope. Winter sounds good too. It might be easier for me to shake loose from the shop then.

We’ll talk in the desert.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:06 pm

And hey Karine... Where'd you get that cool Simpon's-like avatar of yourself?

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Any contraptioneer worth his/her salt must own a copy of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.. Contraptions up the, ahem.. Even working wooden gears for the inside of a windmill..

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:15 pm

I think Karine just watched that the other day, actually. And I need to revisit it for sure. I remember having a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang children's book as a kid. Any movie with a car that has expandable wings can't help but be a good thing.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:17 pm

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:32 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:Hey unjon...

Check out this electric car design.

\/
damn it, don t do that to me.. SO oyeah.. chech out Elliot's Henery FOrd Go's Surfing and a coup;e other..

http://community.webtv.net/unjonharley/doc0

Token

Hats Off...

Post by Token » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:56 pm

Ive been reading this thread regularly, like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure there are tons of other lurkers checking this spot every Sunday when LCN posts his latest pictures...

Secretly, the child inside me wishes that the Contraption never really gets done, that the cool stories never stop...

THANK YOU

Rock stars, every one of y'all

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:46 am

Just want you to know,, these kinetic art shulpture racers don t fool around.. check em out below..

http://community.webtv.net/unjonharley/doc1

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:01 am

LeChatNoir wrote:Hey unjon...

Check out this electric car design.
bastard!

sheesh... i am printing the plan on the company plotter

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:24 pm

unjonharley wrote:Just want you to know,, these kinetic art shulpture racers don t fool around.. check em out below..

http://community.webtv.net/unjonharley/doc1
Damn... that's some impressive tranny work. Inspiring, actually. There's already murmurs among the folks who've worked on this project of a need for multiple gears. and DANG!!! Elliot and crew were doing some off-roadin', man. I'm impressed.
Ive been reading this thread regularly, like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure there are tons of other lurkers checking this spot every Sunday when LCN posts his latest pictures...

Secretly, the child inside me wishes that the Contraption never really gets done, that the cool stories never stop...

THANK YOU
Thank you, Token...

This thread has really given me a whole other joyful aspect to this project... both in reading/sharing the stories myself, and with knowing that others are enjoying it too. And I don't think The Contraption will ever be "done". It may rest for a spell now and then, but there's too many knuckleheads around here with ideas for me to not glean some of them. This place is ripe with wonk.

I've got some more pics to post, too... maybe tonight. And the field test is set for Sunday, August 5th. The funny thing is that my shop doesn't have a bay door. So during construction, I had to keep in mind that it would have to be easily broken down into its component parts to get it out the walk door. We'll test run it behind the shop where there is large open area with some flat and some slight hill to it. I figure if it can handle this, then it can handle the playa. Hopefully it performs as well as I think it will.

You know... Riding a bike across the playa isn't exactly a cake walk, especially after a long night and into a headwind... it can be a lot of effort that your legs can feel. But its always more fun than it is work. That's my hope with this thing, that its reasonable work to keep it going, but that the fun easily outweighs the effort.

We'll soon see...

joel the ornery

things I have been working on

Post by joel the ornery » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:24 pm

lidded cansister (approx. 12 inches in height)

lidded cansisters (approx. 6-8 inches in height)

cube with negative spaces... 6" x 6" x 6"

this is what i have been working on; detail work is yet to be done.

MozyBonz

Re: things I have been working on

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:03 pm

joel the ornery wrote:Image

lidded cansister (approx. 12 inches in height)

lidded cansisters (approx. 6-8 inches in height)

cube with negative spaces... 6" x 6" x 6"

this is what i have been working on; detail work is yet to be done.

Nice!...

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Wow, Joel...

That IS nice work. I really like the lidded canisters, especially that first one. The juxtaposition of smooth areas with the patterned grooves is very pleasing. And the pattern seems to repeat instead of just being random. I like that. The line of the lid is cool too. Its more rounded than most I've seen and that's a nice touch.

All the lines have nice flow.

And the cube is cool to me on a structural level.

Any particular glazes planned?

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:38 pm

glazes... nope, still pondering that one.

i know for the swirl pieces, i will need a glaze that will run a little.... definitelytranluscent?

still need to do knobs, handles and lugs.

i'll be doing a series of cubes.

i'll post photos after i complete them.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:15 pm

If any one ever gets to Sacramento. We have Located in Old Sacramento, the California State Railroad Museum Every weekend April-September, ride behind a steam locomotive on the Museum’s Sacramento Southern Railroad.

http://www.csrmf.org/

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:48 pm

joel honey.. i just finished building a retro dry sink style lavatory.. black marble counter with splash rails.. the basen is stainless steel.. now i will be needing a set: soap dish, pitcher, towel holder, shaving mug w/matching brush handle.. white would be nice..

anyone else.. i'm searching for a wall mount faucet from a old stone utility sink.. pipe were about 12-15 inches apart.. a swivel spout ..they were made of a rough iron brass mix..

karine

Post by karine » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:22 pm

Hey black cat! I picked you up something today!

karine

Post by karine » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:28 pm

It's 2 1/2 x 3 3/4 x 6, actually. Smaller than we expected!

and we DID, we DID watch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang just the other day ! ! !
(((aren't you excited ya'all about the Simpson's movie? We've got midnight tickets for tonight's release!)))

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:30 pm

karine wrote:It's 2 1/2 x 3 3/4 x 6, actually. Smaller than we expected!

DOH!!!

I'll make the bracket this weekend!!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:13 am

\/
Contraptioneers think in terms of QUADRICYCLES,, New kick..

Here is another scewie idea..

i m putting a boxwood stove in my daughters fire place.. the building dates from the 1950 s.. so the fire place and chimney are getting older.. the stove is small and i will line the chimney with three wall pipe..

so if i run a shaft along side of the pipe, with a squirrel cage propeller on top and squirrel cage air mover bottom.. hmm wouldn t that move air around the stove and out into the room? free wind power.. next a cluch and govenor

makes my head hurt this early in the morning..

yes i said quadricycle.. the first ford car was called a quadricycle.. but only because of the wheels..

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:41 am

Good morning Salem,, i don t know how hi off the ground that contraption your building is.. older folks have a little trouble climbinng and need a step..

on some of the buggies and some farm machineery had a single foot step..

most consist of a single foot metal pad on a rod protruding at a slight angel from the bottom of the body.. this rod would have a french curve rod welded or cast to the back as a support/stiffener.. they also had left and right support rods

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:24 am

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:35 am

MOzy said:(snip)

yeah he has put so many neat things on it i forget.. thax..

Return to “2007 Theme”