DJ coming to Burning Man

littlenightman01

DJ coming to Burning Man

Post by littlenightman01 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:48 am

There is a rumor that super star global DJ LEE KALT will be leaving IBIZA the last week of August to come to Burning Man. He is fresh off the amazing success of his #1 hit record "Special K" which is featured on Erick Morillo's Subliminal Sessions album which was released this summer. "Special K" was also Pete Tong's Essential Tune of the week on BBC RADIO 1. If this is true, he would defenatly be one of the biggest names in global dance music coming to Burning Man this summer. He is also the boss man behind HouseMusicTV.com which has a sick channel on youtube, i listed it below.
Does anyone know if this is true or where he might be performing?

any and all info would be greatly appriciated

www.leekalt.com

www.myspace.com/djleekalt - you can hear "Special K" here

www.youtube.com/leekalt

[b][/b]

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:53 am

Hey Slick-Promoter-Dude, haven't you heard? Mutaytor is going to be there.

Besides, our homegrown DJ's feed on wimpy Euro types.

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:03 am

Whoa, that's incredible news! Thanks for the links! I also heard that people are going to be wearing Hanes brand socks out on the playa this year! If that's true, then it's going to be one of the world's most popular brands of socks at Burning Man! There's also a rumor going around that people will be taking Bayer aspirin! It's this totally sick little circular pill that helps to nullify symptoms like headaches and minor muscle pain! It's been featured in the medicine cabinets of a bunch of famous DJs no one pays attention to!

Any further information you can dig up would be totally appreciated!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:03 am

Yeah.. joined this morning, this is the only post, and the question reads like it was pulled from an artist bio.

If Lee makes it, I hope it's to participate in the event and not just rockstar it, come in for a couple nights and play a couple sets, then jet out.

~Trilo~

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:08 am

Thanks for the link, I always wondered about the history of the sock....

~Trilo~

Archantael

Post by Archantael » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:11 am

Sensei wrote: Besides, our homegrown DJ's feed on wimpy Euro types.
Comparing Mutaytor with someone like Lee Kalt is like comparing llamas and zebras. Anyhow he's going to be in NY that week and he could easily just slip into the BRC Spaceport and back out again without fuss.

Yep, it's an interesting rumor...I hope it pans out.

meyouseek

Post by meyouseek » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:16 am

DJ Who? Oooh, cheesy euro club house.

Get your words outta my techno!

hiphopdied911

play nice

Post by hiphopdied911 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:40 am

burning man is about bring people art and music together, sorry to see so many people quick to put down and dissrespect another artist, its not very "buring man" infact its kinda lame.

i have seen lee kalt dj a few times, in miami and in nyc, he is actually 100% american and one of best djs i have ever heard, he really connects with his audiance, and for those of you who dont know he does not play any cheesy euro house, he is actually a sick tech, tech house, techno and minimal DJ.

does anyone know where we can hear him at burning man?

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Re: play nice

Post by capjbadger » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:01 am

hiphopdied911 wrote:burning man is about bring people art and music together, sorry to see so many people quick to put down and dissrespect another artist, its not very "buring man" infact its kinda lame.
Your first post and you use it yo try to tell us what burning man is and that we are not very "burning man".

That was a joke post right? Right?

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

scootert

Post by scootert » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Sheesh. I won't profess to proclaim what is Burning-man behavior and what is not, but I know unfriendly when I see it.

Thanks for the heads up about Lee Kalt. I appreciate it, and it's too bad some people have to be snarky and negative. There's more of that on eplaya than there seems to be on the actual playa in my experience.

Okay, now flame me.

Here's to being radically inclusive about music (or at least tolerant).

Peace, and have a great burn everyone!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:42 pm

I don't have a problem with Lee coming to the playa (regardless of what kind of music he plays), and I don't have a problem with someone plugging that he's coming.

What does strike me as being kind of messed up is when someone pretends to be someone that they're not in order to hype/promote/plug an artist. That's something that bugs me both on and off the playa. littlenightman01/hiphopdied911 appears to be doing just that. There's no need to play those kinds of games, either here or anywhere else.

littlenightman01, hiphopdied911, Lee, Lee's agent, Lee's PR manager, or whoever it is posting from that IP, just play it straight. Like I said before, I hope he's able to make it for the entire week and fully participate in the event. You've included some links to Lee's work so people can check it out, about the only thing you need to add at this point is to list any gigs he'll be playing on the playa, so people who enjoy the music can go try and catch a performance.

~Trilo~

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:55 pm

hey, im all about reducing the know-it-all snarkiness on ePlaya, but the response to the OP was absolutely correct and funny as hell too. The original post was nothing but fairly shameless self-promotion, or PR.

Calling bullshit when ya see it, and in a creative humorous way is about as Burning Man as it gets in my humble opinion.

And here's where I get flamed...I never have figured out how DJs get celebrity status when they are not composing songs, not playing musical instruments, but are simply playing other people's music. Its like me showing a slide show of paintings from MoMA and becoming a rock star!

Now, if this guys is knitting together different bits to make new cloth (like De La Soul used to do) then celebrity status may be due.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:23 pm

trilobyte wrote:littlenightman01, hiphopdied911, Lee, Lee's agent, Lee's PR manager, or whoever it is posting from that IP, just play it straight.
Playa folk are pretty sophisticated and they appreciate honesty.

scootert

Post by scootert » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:59 pm

Well, I guess your bullshit meters are more sophisticated than mine! I actually thought it was a post from an enthusiastic fan. I guess unfriendliness is sometimes warranted. Thanks all, especially Trilo and Teo.

If anyone has any bridges to sell, preferably in Brooklyn, drop me a line.

My new playa name: rube

And Teo, I've also found the DJ celebrity thing to be kind of odd, especially being that I'm a musician and songwriter. But I've heard some very artful and creative DJs out there.

Did anybody hear Dick Clark's awesome American Bandstand set at the trash fence in 1998? Unforgettable! And Casey Casem. He rocks.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:30 pm

scootert wrote:I've also found the DJ celebrity thing to be kind of odd
It is weird, isn't it? The talent most DJs have is simply good musical selection and an uncanny ability to make one record start playing as the other one is ending.

DJs who combine and layer music to create something new seem to be rare, though.

One thing I like about BM is that some unknown schmuck from Kansas can become a true Playa celebrity by buildiong/doing something amazing while default celebrities are, usually, not afforded any more status than the rest of us.

scootert

Post by scootert » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:

One thing I like about BM is that some unknown schmuck from Kansas can become a true Playa celebrity...

- - - - -

Holy shit! Is Unknown Schmuck gonna be out there this year? I heard a rumor his stuff is awesome. And the socks are unbelievable.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:08 pm

I think it's all on how you look at it. At its most basic level, DJ'ing is just playing records. Anyone can do it, right? At that basic level, yeah.

There is an art to doing it well.

You add in skills, knowledge, musical taste/choices, and the arsenal. That is, what song to play at what time, which track to follow it with, etc. Finding the right music for the right moment is a lot tougher than you think. Especially when you're trying to find the right music for the right moment for a crowd of people.

Next, there's the matter of the transition from one song to the next. At the basic level it's like a jukebox. Song ends, silence, start next song. At a party with dancing or some club, who wants that? Mixing tracks on the beat takes some skill - now you have to combine the skills needed to transition from one song to the next with the ability to pick the right tracks for the right moments in time.

If you've ever done it or tried to do it, you probably have an appreciation for how hard it is to do well.

From there, it can get even more complex. Whether it's weaving in beats or melodies or pieces of other songs into the mix to add further depth or take the groove to another place, or it's using raw loops or original production work to create something totally new live and on the spot, there are infinite variations here.

I've seen DJ's who essentially are performing the entire set live (they've broken everything down into the raw loops, and literally assemble and remix every track you hear as they play it), others who use controllers, pedals, and effects in the mix to further alter and redefine their sound, and I've seen DJ's who just do fucking ridiculous things with a few turntables.

Think of it like those guys who do crazy tricks on bikes and motorcycles. They didn't make the bike. At its most basic level they're just riding a bike, how hard is that? But if you've ever tried to do it yourself you know how hard it can be. And to many, what they do is art.

~Trilo~

hiphopdied911

you are right

Post by hiphopdied911 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:17 pm

you are totally right trilobyte, and you def know what you are talking about, i am trying to contact lee so that he can come on here and clear the air himself about his music and wether or not he will be able to be heard at burning man.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:20 pm

scootert wrote:Holy shit! Is Unknown Schmuck gonna be out there this year? I heard a rumor his stuff is awesome. And the socks are unbelievable.
:lol:

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:26 pm

I know what you are saying is true....whoever was DJ'ing at the Deep End the day I happened to be there last year played a phenomenal set. But still, I'd rather see artists and musicians get more limelight, at least in my little scene.

alt12

don't know who "DJ LEE" is but...

Post by alt12 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:13 pm

he should fire his promoter... That was the clumsiest and dumbest attempt to hype someone I have ever heard. THE ONLY THING MISSING WAS TO WRITE IT ALL IN CAPS WITH LOTS OF !!!!!

Now the sock, I'm definitely going to check that out...

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:42 am

Hey guys I heard that I am going to be there as well!!!

Im a 35 Year old pfofessional who travels the world in search of problems to solve, also known to save a life or two in between stopping earthquakes I will do nothing but bring more class and excitement to your burn!!
For my next act I am going to reverse global warming, resurrect Jeebus himself, stop the war in Iraq, and bring peace to Darfur, and every other place where people dont like each other.

I Hear I am playing everyday at assorted times and at camp whatever at 5th and union.

Anyone else hear about this as well? Its all rumor to me right now but It would be awesome if I could see Myself on Playa? Dont you think.

thanks guys!!!
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

littlenightman01

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by littlenightman01 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:35 am

wow, seems like a lot of bitterness tword me and my posting, you people with spite and scorn in your posts are a bunch of "Mental Cases". RELAX - its only life......

i happen to be a fan and a friend of lee's and yes i am trying to promote him, and in regard to my first posting, there is a TBA (to be anounced date) on his website, but i have tried to contact him to confirm it and he will not respond probobly because he is not in the us right now. I am just trying to find out if anyone else knows for sure if he will be there to play or not. can anyone help me out on this issue.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:55 am

...I heard he was going to be rockin' it at the trash fence at high noon on Monday the 27th.....

I'll be setting up camp so please give me a report after the burn right here on eplaya.

I'm interested to find out if he wears his Lee Kalt T-shirt while he's spinnin, fist pumpin' and pointing...

on a side note..

There's this guy, in the NBA, he actually has a tattoo of his face on his shoulder right below his face.

Am I just blubbering or is someone pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

I'm humming increasingly faster

see you soon.
blow.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:01 pm

I just heard that Bruce Lee will be doing WOK cooking demo's in Center Camp......Bring your fresh veggies and toss them into the hot WOK...

Just don't insult Bruce, He's been known to toss chop stick into spectators eyes.... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:19 pm

"Unknown Schmuck"...

I just found the name for my next band!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

playajesus

Re: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by playajesus » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:49 pm

littlenightman01 wrote:i happen to be a fan and a friend of lee's ...I am just trying to find out if anyone else knows for sure if he will be there to play or not.
You guys must be "real tight." I mean what with asking strangers if your friend will be spinning on the playa.
Up with Pope, down with dope!

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:08 pm

scootert wrote: Okay, now flame me.
Um...ok...if you insist. You're an idiot - there, I did it, I did just what you asked. I flamed you. Anything I can do to help out. :D Do you feel better now?

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:10 pm

littlenightman01 wrote:you people ... are a bunch of "Mental Cases".
That's the only thing you got right!

littlenightman01

Post by littlenightman01 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:54 am

sorry but do people have to like pre-qualify with you before they post...

yeah he's a friend, i didnt say i i've known him since the 4th grade, but i do know the guy and i am a fan as well, and i hit him up on myspce and he never responded, does that mean i can't say hes my friend? sorry this is all so important to you... you obviouslly have way too much time on your hands....

[b]i suggest [/b]you spend your time building some artwork in the desert so i can run it over with my mutant vehicle when i get there.....

You guys must be "real tight." I mean what with asking [b]strangers[/b] if your [b]friend[/b] will be spinning on the playa.[/quote]

Return to “2007 Art & Performance”