Best. Burn Night. Ever.

Piss Clear

Best. Burn Night. Ever.

Post by Piss Clear » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:12 am

The Man burned on Monday night, during the peak of the lunar eclipse. It was awesome!

If you missed it, you missed out!

8/28 ... Never Forget!
Adrian Roberts, Former Editor
PISS CLEAR
Black Rock City's favorite alternative newspaper

Luna Noir

Just say no to premature immolation

Post by Luna Noir » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:04 am

I hear the man is still standing, I'd like to send a (flammable) get-well card... I'll ask to have it posted on his base for burn night.

Is this a good address?

"The Man"
c/o BRCPO
Black Rock City, NV 89412

Lets help him get back to his fighting weight!
~:~

cornelius
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Shortfuse, Robotronia, PoPCorn Palace

Post by cornelius » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:21 am

SAVE THE MAN!
Arson doesn't count as a burn Pissy.
ROBOTS UNITE

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:15 pm

In the future, the Man should be constructed of fireproof materials so we never have a tragedy like this again!

Rage

Early Burn

Post by Rage » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:51 pm

I stopped attending the actual 'burn' and now watch from a distance. The crowded watching of 500+ fire spinners is sheer torture as it goes on for way to long. I like watching from the Esplanade then going to the parties.

Still, I'm not sure how I feel about the early burn. I think the anarchy is interesting but still it sucks for most people.
"I was dreamin' when I wrote this
Forgive me if it goes astray..." - Prince

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:38 pm

it sucks for people like me who are going for the first time and couldn't be there at the start of the week. hopefully they can get it somewhat together by sat. night :(

Liverace
Burning Since: 2002

All hail Paul Addis!

Post by Liverace » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Subvert the dominant paradigm!

All hail Paul Addis!

jeffreybenner

Post by jeffreybenner » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:33 pm

The Man will probably require an armed guard at all future events.

I suggest a shoot on sight rule. Just to be safe.

Hail Addis!!

Rage

T-shirt Ideas - print and deliver to the playa!

Post by Rage » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:16 pm

'Just Say NO...to the status quo!

'Free Paul Addis'

May be next year I'll erect an exact duplicate of 'the man' on a smaller scale and burn him early in the deep playa to really confuse the newbies.
"I was dreamin' when I wrote this
Forgive me if it goes astray..." - Prince

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:24 pm

Nothing-to-Prove says, "Free Paul Addis? Sure. From his skin."
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

JediDale
Burning Since: 2000

Felonious Arson

Post by JediDale » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:50 pm

Why is it that most respondents on ePlaya don't get it that the felonious arsonist Paul Addis committed his crime against me, you, and every single ticket holder?!?!

Genuinely,

JediDale Of Reno
You don't have to..Believe Everything I Say...because your unconscious will hear this.
Your unconscious can Do anything It wishes..
But your conscious mind isn't going to do
anything of Importance for Now. And...My Voice Will Go With You...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:04 pm

Jedi==it's worse on tribe, trust me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ZeeKitten

Post by ZeeKitten » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:36 pm

it sucks for people like me who are going for the first time and couldn't be there at the start of the week. hopefully they can get it somewhat together by sat. night. :(
Amen, Sista!!! This is my first burn too and I guess the horse underneath this horses**t is that after I get there tomorrow, I can say that my first burn was an unusual and historic one.

I might normally respect the anarchy, except that this chowderhead is apparently some attorney/wannabe actor whose one man show (about Hunter S. Thompson - so he commits arson to publicize it, how hackneyed) is on the verge of a West Coast tour . . . what a total publicity whore!!!

He should have the disco fever smacked right out of him!
<i> ". . . but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio" - Lafcadio Hearn</i>

jeffreybenner

Re: Felonious Arson

Post by jeffreybenner » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:49 am

JediDale wrote:Why is it that most respondents on ePlaya don't get it that the felonious arsonist Paul Addis committed his crime against me, you, and every single ticket holder?!?!
It's not a Cirque du Soleil show. It's Burning Man - whatever happens, that's the experience.

Get knocked in the head by a 2 by 4 at Burning Man? That's your experience! Get run over by a drunk Ranger? That's Burning Man! Burning the Man on Saturday is not a SHOW.

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:40 am

This little event even made the on-the-half-hour haha on NPR's Morning Edition today.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

soupman

Post by soupman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:17 am

Holy shit I just saw this on yahoo news or something... can't believe it actually happened!

planetpaula

Post by planetpaula » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:36 am

Yay Paul Addis!!! Burning Man has become way too precious and controlled. Security, prosecutions, call to arms...good grief! Go with the flow or go home, I say. For all you newbies crying "I've been robbed!", remember BM is about participation not spectatorship. Indeed, it is not Cirque de Soliel (though it costs as much to attend!). Turn up, build something, burn it. Do something for yourselves instead of turning what was once a free flowing happening into yet another consumerist action you can list on your CV.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:40 am

planetpaula wrote:Yay Paul Addis!!! Burning Man has become way too precious and controlled. Security, prosecutions, call to arms...good grief! Go with the flow or go home, I say. For all you newbies crying "I've been robbed!", remember BM is about participation not spectatorship. Indeed, it is not Cirque de Soliel (though it costs as much to attend!). Turn up, build something, burn it. Do something for yourselves instead of turning what was once a free flowing happening into yet another consumerist action you can list on your CV.
Amen. I'm not down with putting people's lives and property at risk but what happened is classic Burning Man.
It's what you make it.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:43 am

Not directed at anyone in particular...

Let's say for a moment that everything's cool, Paul Addis is a hero, and it sets a precedent. The course of the festival changes into the future, where the precedent is that anyone can come along and burn whatever they want, destroy whatever they want, kill or endanger whoever they want, whenever they feel like it.

Or stalk someone and kill them and use the event as cover to get away with it.

Embrace chaos? That's fine if you want to. More power to you. I'm sure you'll just laugh it off when some arrogant asshole comes along, sees your camp, and decides to burn it to the ground, possibly while you're out adventuring with your friends, possibly while you're asleep in your tent, too enhanced or too tired to get out in time.

Will you laugh hysterically and flippantly say, "That's Burning Man!" when your means of survival and transportation back home are in ashes?

What would you say if it happened to a friend or neighbour?

So the Man burnt early. He went up in flames under the eclipse. I'm sure it looked terrific and they're rebuilding the Man. But take a look at Paul Addis's mug shot, the "Me so stylin'!" shit-eating grin. Look also at the timing, the height of the eclipse, when most of the city's populace would be out at the trash fence at the big
party, and focusing on the Black-Out (did that come off, BTW?).

This was pre-meditated. His whole intention of coming to the Burn was to mess with people and have his way and fuck the consequences.

That's disrespectful at best and pathological at worst.

The ten principles are rules but they're reasonable. The biggest one is respecting other peoples' work and space. That's Burning Man.

It cuts both ways. If you don't like the Ten Principles, don't come. Go to another Playa and have a no-holds-barred, balls-out desert freak-out, and deal with the authorities like the ORG do.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:58 am

jeffreybenner wrote: Get knocked in the head by a 2 by 4 at Burning Man? That's your experience! Get run over by a drunk Ranger? That's Burning Man! Burning the Man on Saturday is not a SHOW.
When did "radical self expression" become an excuse for acting like an asshole or drunk fratboy? How did that happen? And burning the man on Sat. night most clearly is a show. Yes it's canned, boring, repetitive and at this point lacking much creativity. Nonetheless, it is a significant effort to put it out there and that effort should be respected, not shit upon.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

JediDale

And then theres.....

Post by JediDale » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:40 am

Lets not forget that many people people go to the burn to rush the flames of the fallen man and throw a piece of wood with writing on it or some such thing. Did you ever think of the pagan perspective? What about the representative aspects of the man burning? For some it has become a deeply spiritual part of their lives. What if the felonious arsonist Paul Addis torched
the Temple? What if you made some type of prayer for a terminally ill person, and the burning of the man, (and perhaps some kind of personal ritual) represented healing of that person?

Now if someone had been killed or severely wounded in the felonious act,
would you still think of Paul Addis the same way?

Bury Paul Addis up to FUCKING HEAD on the playa and make him a temporary art display!! Call it "Deeply Disturbed On The Playa"

Of course, we BURN everything don't we?? This Fire Spinner would donate the first can of fuel!!!

Genuinely,

JediDale Of Reno
You don't have to..Believe Everything I Say...because your unconscious will hear this.

kylie sparks

Post by kylie sparks » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:50 am

Well put JediDale!
The burning of the Man means something different to each person who attends, but we all come together as a "family" in this ritual in time.
The guy is just a guy looking to get his name in the paper, at a very high price tag!

artcrash

Please!

Post by artcrash » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:36 pm

To the person that is trying to turn the burn into a healing for the terminally ill, I say "Bullshit" The burn is about as pagan as "Safeway" at this point. Years ago there was a slight pagan feel to the burn. Now...total Las Vegas...Focused intention is the point of any ritual...and you can focus on a flaming sock for all that it matters...I am not sure what I feel about the premature burn..but it did bring back a sense of danger and anarchy to the event.....FINALLY... :twisted: [/b]

jeffreybenner

Post by jeffreybenner » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:52 pm

blyslv wrote:
jeffreybenner wrote: When did "radical self expression" become an excuse for acting like an asshole or drunk fratboy? How did that happen? And burning the man on Sat. night most clearly is a show. Yes it's canned, boring, repetitive and at this point lacking much creativity. Nonetheless, it is a significant effort to put it out there and that effort should be respected, not shit upon.
I feel the experience of Addis burning the man on Monday night WAS the experience. The point is, if you have an expectations about Burning Man, you've already lost the participatory spirit. It has become a rote event for you. Might as well go to Walmart if you want predictability.

I'm all for anything that brings BM back to its Cacophony Society roots.

I think for Burners invoking the drunken fratboy comparison is the equivalent of bringing up Hitler. It's gotta happen sooner or later.

jeffreybenner

Re: And then theres.....

Post by jeffreybenner » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:54 pm

JediDale wrote:Lets not forget that many people people go to the burn to rush the flames of the fallen man and throw a piece of wood with writing on it or some such thing. Did you ever think of the pagan perspective?
I love how one moment you want to write a prayer on a piece of wood in the Temple and the next you want to bury Addis up to his head and run him over with a lawn mower. Nothing like consistency.

If you want Pagan, go to Starwood.

jeffreybenner

Post by jeffreybenner » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:02 pm

diane o'thirst wrote:The course of the festival changes into the future, where the precedent is that anyone can come along and burn whatever they want, destroy whatever they want, kill or endanger whoever they want, whenever they feel like it.

Or stalk someone and kill them and use the event as cover to get away with it.
So with that having been said, how long is it going to be before someone in this thread invokes Hitler? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

You want a festival where everybody kills everybody else? Sounds kind of sick. Geez.

JediDale

Post by JediDale » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:28 pm

jeffreybenner wrote:
JediDale wrote:Lets not forget that many people people go to the burn to rush the flames of the fallen man and throw a piece of wood with writing on it or some such thing. Did you ever think of the pagan perspective?
I love how one moment you want to write a prayer on a piece of wood in the Temple and the next you want to bury Addis up to his head and run him over with a lawn mower. Nothing like consistency.

If you want Pagan, go to Starwood.

So does this mean that when in 05 a Wiccan wanted to start a Witches Camp, she should have been told "No, go to Starwood"?!?! Can you say "NeoConservative Christian Fascism?

Obviously, I wrote that in anger to a felonious criminal act! Perhaps Iam missing something. Did I ever mention a lawnmower in ANY POST JeffreyBenner? Many perspectives I take are not neccesarily my own, I believe that it is great to have the courtesy to respect others belief systems as long as those belief systems don't hurt anyone else!
No, I don't really believe the culprit should be buried up to his head!!
However, he should be convicted and do 5-10 years in the Carson City Correctional Facility.

Genuinely,

JediDale Of Reno

jeffreybenner

Post by jeffreybenner » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:39 pm

JediDale wrote:Can you say "NeoConservative Christian Fascism?
ha ha you basically invoked Hitler. Well done.

Umm, I think what I and others are saying is your precious worldview is not our precious worldview, and deal with it. One person's Burning Man is another person's crock of doo-doo.

I don't think that Addis did anything felonious, that's up to a court of law to decide, and I bet 100% that charges get tossed out long before this goes to trial.

Lots of "pagan" things happen at BM the same way swingers turn BM into a swinger event and Satanists turn it into a Satanic event and golfers turn it into a putt putt golf event. That doesn't mean that it is intrinsically any of the above. You might write a prayer and I might poop on your prayer. All of those things are valid expressions just like what Addis did. You can't have your anarchy and eat it too.

JediDale

Where NeoConservative Christian Fascism Came From.

Post by JediDale » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:43 pm

Concerning NeoCons, enlighten yourself!
http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3 ... rauss.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Strauss
http://www.lewrockwell.com/polner/polner8.html
http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3 ... rauss.html

Now you know that "NeoConservative Christian Fascism" started in the USA,
as well as the ideology of Leo Strauss. I strongly suggest watching the documentary titled "The Power Of Nightmares" by The BBC. It goes into depth (6 hours) explaining NeoConservativism.

Genuinely,

JediDale Of Reno

JediDale

The Power Of Nightmares.

Post by JediDale » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:52 pm

To wit:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3755686.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/3970901.stm

Perhaps this will help you. Perhaps Not.

Genuinely,

JediDale Of Reno

Return to “2007 Art & Performance”