Stag Camp

giacinto

Travelling alone... stag camp?

Postby giacinto » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:29 am

All,

I'coming to BM for the first time and I'm travelling alone, flying to Reno from London, so I was wondering where I could camp. I'm under the impression that the stag camp is for people like me, correct? How does it work? Should I look for people to share a tent with? Also, I will need to find a hike from Reno... unfortunately I don't drive, so I will not be able to help in that, but I'm sure I can find some way to make up for it!

Thank you in advance,

Giac

Toolmaker

Re: Travelling alone... stag camp?

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:49 am

giacinto wrote:All,

I'coming to BM for the first time and I'm travelling alone, flying to Reno from London, so I was wondering where I could camp. I'm under the impression that the stag camp is for people like me, correct? How does it work? Should I look for people to share a tent with? Also, I will need to find a hike from Reno... unfortunately I don't drive, so I will not be able to help in that, but I'm sure I can find some way to make up for it!

Thank you in advance,

Giac

I'll make ya a deal.. you rent the small truck to bring all the supplies and I'll drive it with my good foot to and from BM. As long as the truck aint stick shift I can handle driving with my left foot. Also I need a hand with some heavy lifting. Its like 3 hours from Reno to the playa. I only need to get 2 duffels a wheelchair and the water and food, 1/3 of the pickup bed space at most. That way I can goto BM this year. I'm slightly disabled and unable to afford all the costs on my own. We could even share shade.. I was thinkin cheap white parachute over PVC on rebar. Cheap and easy. You need a day or two in advance in Reno for supply purchases and I'd be willing to split the hotel room. With your travel times and departure you may want to Sun first thing in the morning and stop by a truckstop shower to clean up before hittin the airport.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

giacinto

Postby giacinto » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:22 am

Thank you very much for the proposal, but I would prefer to travel with more people to share the expenses... and the fun! So, let's see if other people are interested. Also, I'm trying to contact my local group and I'll see whether there are possibilities there too. I'll keep you posted, sorry for buying time :-)

Giac

¡Niers!

Postby ¡Niers! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:38 pm

So anyone got any info about showers in stagg?
I know, sounds lame eh? Well, this guy likes to clean up every now and then, as I'm sure do the ladies at least.
So, what's up? Last year were there any makeshift showers or what?

ok.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:19 pm

I likely will supply a makeshift shower again. Properly disposing of your grey water will be your responsibility.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

twinwitin

Hey hey hey

Postby twinwitin » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:27 pm

Greetings all,
I wrote a message to the regional contact thread and was directed here, thank you, Motskyroonmatick. My sister(best friend) and I would love to join the stagg camp :D We are very self sufficient,(we do primative camping in the sca).We will be bringing an r.v. to BM though. We would just like to have someone to come home to ya' know? Tell our adventures to!
The only problem?What sort of habits do you consider "normal"? I have very long hair and...well every now and then I...smell it like this, that's very bad! :shock: I hope that will not get me black balled from camping with you all? :oops: :( ha ha
oh, Bitter Dan, I'll be looking for you to have a drink with me!!!! :P

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:32 pm

twinwitin,
Rv's are nice on the playa. They save a huge amount of set up time. The playa dust can take a pretty big tole on an rv so read around on the eplaya and BM website about care if you haven't done so already.
If you want to get in to the burner community before the burn there are regular events in PDX. Near the burn there are bike prep workshops and costume making parties. Having a well prepared bike is very helpful and bringing a sturdy lock is all but a necessity. Several pairs of broken in comfortable shoes will make walking outings more pleasant. It is really easy to walk multiple miles seeing things at night.

Good impressions of comedians are welcome in stag camp.
Ok. Staring at the screen so its time for bed.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

twinwitin

Postby twinwitin » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:04 am

Thank you motsky, believe me comfortable shoes are part of my wardrobe always!! ha ha I received a bicycle for Christmas, under the tree(my first) and sister and I will be checking out these workshops and costume parties, I receive an e-newsletter from burners in Portland so hopefully we will see you there. Also, being from the forests, I am unaware of PDX? I think it has something to do with Portland?? Anyway, thanks for all your ideas and advice, I can't wait to burn!!! I will read everything I can get my eyes on so feel free with the advice Peeps!!

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:16 am

PDX=Portland. It is the three letter code for the Portland Airport. If you live near Eugene there are things that happen there too. Burning Man videos on youtube will give you a flavor of what the conditions are like. Video cameras have a way of selecting the most grand, interesting, weirdest and dressed up of Burning Man. Burning man on steroids if you will. Don't think you have to perform at that level to fit in but if you can than that's totally awesome!! In general come as you are with spicing things up.
Here is a link to one of my favorite BM videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZHkZPGotKE

twinwitin

Postby twinwitin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 am

Thank you Motsky, you are so great! Don't be surprised if I come back over the next few months and annoy you some more with lots of questions!! :D

melancholy harlot

Postby melancholy harlot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:52 pm

diverdude and iNiers!, welcome home! (that phrase always makes me think of you, plowman...)

you've accidentally found the most wonderful community i've ever dared ask for, and it sounds like you'll both fit right in! don't fret about needing help with domes and the like: everyone in stag camp secretly has fourteen arms and are incredibly fast to help. one of my favorite memories from last burn is the first dust storm, when staggers spread out like little termites combing the camp for unsecured structures, batting down the hatches for those who were away from their tents. but since the goal is really highly individualized self-reliance, when you actually manage to discover the one thing you forgot, it seems that fifteen people have it.

motsky, like shell, i'm really glad to hear you're taking a break from the welder. can't wait to help out with the art car and can't wait to see ya in two weeks!

melancholy harlot

Postby melancholy harlot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:05 pm

oh God, I missed a page of posts! welcome everybody else too!

as far as weird habits go, no one really needs to be worried about their long hair or smelly armpits or smoking of cigarettes (although do worry about what you're going to do with ashes and butts; 50,000 smoking on a dust surface turns our playa into an ashtray, so many people bring things like altoids tins to carry in their pockets. also, many many many people will want to bum cigarettes from you and you will want to give them out, because you will want to give out everything you have. i got by well on a carton last burn, but this year i'm bringing two.)

what we mean by weird (thanks for the peeping tom example, motsky!) are habits that violate other people's safety and integrity. like. if you plan to spend the burn masturbating flagrantly to nearby females. that is weird. if you plan to photograph people showering and changing and being less than fully clothed WITHOUT their permission. that is weird. we love cavemen. we love loincloths. we love drinking jager during a duststorm and chugging boxed wine.

oh, and iNiers! you'll be surprised how little desire you have to shower. even the ladies lost the drive after a few days. the playa dust becomes somewhat of a badge of honor.

melancholy harlot

Postby melancholy harlot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:08 pm

My favorite video of playa costumes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB5DjLk10Zs

diverdude

Postby diverdude » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am very excited to accualy meet everyone!

Also on the shower thing... I have a shower on the side of my trailer that people from the camp can use. just B.Y.W! I just have to find a way to cover it up? I was thinking aout something that you could just put up for each use and take down to store? Dose this sound like a pain in the ass? I don't normaly worry about covering it up but in the middle of a camp it may be weird? Any thoughts?

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:11 pm

Diverdude -
The event is only a week, you dont want to spend time cleaning up, or putting up things daily just to take down daily.

After 6 years - I try my best to build before hand, deploy at site and enjoy. Keep it as simple as you can - unless thats your project.

200 days

¡Niers!

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:46 am

Hey Twinwitin!
Welcome to the future of Stag camp!
I'm new and virgin-like myself.
As far as normal, who knows what that means in a place like BM until we show up? I haven't been a part of something like this in years......wait, I ain't never been part of somthing like BM.
Fuck normal!
I guess that goes without saying though.

Thanks for the welcome, Harlot! From what I've read, I don't think I could have found a better camp for myself and my man. I am totally ga ga, to meet all these ePersonallities that I've met on the ePlaya. From now on, I know every time I go out and have a good time....I know it ain't close to what we'll have on the playa.

So, on a different note.....Today I went to a huge recycling plant and found all and more of the materials I need to make the 20' pyramid shelter I've been planning to erect. The good thing about a pyramid, is if you wanna make it bigger, just add more triangles. I will wait till a month prior to BM to make the skin for it, cause I may just add more triangles as time passes and money flows.

There seems to be a good amount of us west coasters in Stag. Specifically here in Oregon. We should think about that and consider meeting up sometime?

Keep tappin your fingers on the keyboards, cause we all inspire each other in ways and times we don't realize.

In the mean time.....

ok

¡Niers!

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:49 am

Oh yeah.......
I'll be bringing a shit load of Jameson to pass around.....well, at least a case.

ok

pinemom

Postby pinemom » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:18 am

so I take it your a 2008 camp yeah? Then put in a 2008 camp thread!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

plowman

Postby plowman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:08 pm

diverdude,
what you really need is something to keep the grey water from seeping onto the playa. As far as consealment is concerned, park your RV so that a vehicle is on all sides of the shower. Thats about all it takes. It will be a little open air, but I've found out over the years, it doesn't really matter that much. Noone gaucks or stares because what you are doing is natural and normal. And, well, it's no big deal. You will realize this when you get "home"

twinwitin,
There is no such thing as a stupid question!!
Do not hesitate to ask. The wealth of knowlege in this camp is astounding.

iNiers!,
The pyramid thing sounds great! Staggers are kind of like the playa, all calm, but in an instant we can come out of nowhere, like a dust devil, and shit happens. If you bring it, it will be!!

pinemom,
I think everyone is waiting for the arrival of Fat Sam. He started this last year and noone wants to step on toes.

twinwitin

Postby twinwitin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 pm

o.k. o.k fine no gawking, jeez. :wink:

diverdude

Postby diverdude » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:36 am

Thanks for all the good tips. I am working on a few ideas for the gray water now. I am trying to keep it all as simpe as possible! I think I will just leave the shower the way it is now as it works good and I realy dont care who sees what. I have a feeling there will be wy more interesting this to watch that a pail white dude taking a shower. Or you can watch if you must. Worse has happened. Thanks again for all the good advice!

Dude

melancholy harlot

Postby melancholy harlot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:12 pm

Plowman (and other Staggers) -

I spoke to FAT SAM on Monday evening, and he's asked that I pass a message along to everyone. He is working seven days a week, as well as taking courses at the university in Reno. Things sound a bit hectic for him, but he's moving and shaking, as always. He does not have internet access at home and will not be able to join the discussion for some time. (Anyone who misses our fearless leader might try contacting him via text message.)

Along with passing on his incredible love for everyone, he noted: "I was the spark, but you guys are the flame." We have his full blessing to start 2008 discussions. I am sure he will weigh in if and when he gets the chance. He has mentioned that the thoughts and friendship of everyone means a great deal to him, even when he can't communicate often.

SAM is uncertain whether he'll be able to join us on the playa this year, but one Mr. Danny Lynch has already pledged to kidnap him in Reno if things look shaky. I've told him that we're not giving up on his return and that camp would not be the same without him.

All that being said, I'm going to start a 2008 Stag Camp thread with SAM's original message. I think it's important, however, than anyone interested in joining us next year read this 2007 thread. It contains all our history and character.

All my love,

Nikki

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Awesome to have news of Fat Sam! Damn...7 days a week is tough.

Kiddie pools work great for keeping water off the playa and you can install a sink drain in them so that you can drain the water in to a container. You just have to elevate it on a trailer or incredibly complex shower and evaporator platform system that attaches to the side of the worlds finest box truck.

Ok two threads are better than one so WOHOO! 2008 stag camp thread.
I'm going to miss this thread if it falls off the map so to speak.
The first several pages are like Black Rock City before thursday. The atmosphere is priceless.

Too bad this year all the rave camps have to play that America Fuck Yah song at the beginning and end of every set. That's going to get annoying after hearing it 100 times.

twinwitin

Postby twinwitin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:01 pm

This will be my last post on this thread, I will be moving over to the 2008 site, btw, let's not sweat the techno, we can always find something else even if we have to come home and make our own music!! Come on everybody...get down and get with it!!!! ha ha ha :wink:

Dede

Postby Dede » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi all-

2008 will be my first year and I'll be coming alone. After years of raising two daughters, BM will be one of the first things that I doing for myself.

I'm sel-sufficient and (been camping all my life) and have read the survival guide, the first timers guide and at least browsed most threads on eplaya and many on tribe.

I'd love to join Stag Camp - I think it might be the right mixture of community and doing my own thing. Look forward to helping out whenever needed.

motskyroonmatick

Stag Camp 2.0

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:04 pm

Dede,
Welcome! It's so awesome that your first post is in our thread!! Congratulations on rewarding yourself with Burning Man. For people with open hearts and minds it is a wonderfully mind blowing experience.
My first year I came alone and did fine. It would have been nice to have stag camp though. I advise arriving as early as possible after the gates open. The early part of the week has the best atmosphere...a very connected feeling.
We are ready to help with any questions you might have about preparation or whatever.

twinwitin,
Sorry about the bad techno joke. I actually prefer techno and listen to it like it is the only music in the world. I am some what of an anomaly. At one time I'm sure I was the only farm hand in Central Oregon that listened to techno while breaking ground. The exception was when we borrowed the neighbors larger tractor that had a Neil Diamond tape stuck in the player. Sweet Caroline and the rest of those songs made me feel quite wholesome.
I would however like to craft an instrument at burning man and play it. Maybe we could have a jam in camp at some time.

twinwitin

Postby twinwitin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Baby you don't ever have to appologize to me, :wink: let's meet up on the new site, I have been talking to my sister about stag camp, we still have to contact our third in our party, to get everyone's opinion about what where, etc... I am looking forward to meeting you no matter where we camp!
s.y.o.t.p.(see you on the playa)

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:50 pm

I just got called Baby! :D

Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Wow now i know what our thread on tribe is so quiet see i need to check e-playa more.... It is I Joe Camel... and i will be making a big come back as 2008 is the Year of Freedom for me... that is right fellow staggers i will be back and more free then last year because.... as of august 17th 2008 i will be discharged from the United States Marine Corps and put on Inactive Reserve Status.... SO.... I GET TO PARTY MY ASS OFF!!! WAHOOOOOO!!!!! GO ME GO ME! Can't wait to see you all out there to the camp mates from last year and to all the new staggers WELCOME!!! COME ON IN SIT DOWN AND SLAP THE WINE BAG!.... MWA!!! LOVE YOU ALL!!! Laters Joe Camel ( AkA Glowing Man)

twinwitin

Postby twinwitin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Hey glowing man,
I am one of the first timers camping with the '08 stag camp. You probably know but we have and '08 thread too. I keep saying I'm not posting here, buuuuuut, here I am! I think all these staggers like each other so much we need two threads! ha ha Congrats on your August exit, we will definitely be celebrating! :D

Return to “2007 Theme Camps”