Stag Camp

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:22 pm

I'll be happy to show you the basics of welding, talk about welding methods and developing good welding habits. I really want to refrain from using the welder for teaching as welding is fairly MOOPy. I hope you understand :? If you are arround when a repair comes in I will be happy to give you some time on the welder or to watch. I allways bring two helments. It will be fun to talk shop.
I'm getting pumped up again...did some early provision shopping today! Wohoo!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Completely understand, wouldn't want someone stepping on some slag in their bare feet!
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm

plowman

Post by plowman » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:17 am

I've done a little welding at work but i'm not very good at it. It takes alot of practice.The best way for me to learn is to watch. Iam however pretty fair with a cutting torch. Looking forward to observing.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:50 pm

Somnivore wrote:Any chance on a mini welding class, would love to learn a little more then what my father in law has already taught me. Welcome to camp!

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=17123
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

mauiburnerzz

dude im at 9 and grassland were neighbors

Post by mauiburnerzz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:50 am

yea its a great area to camp . too bad your camp is stag only sounds fun

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Er...I guess a vote's in order...

Is this camp stag only or merely stag oriented? Are units welcome?
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:09 pm

I don't have a problem with couples, I guess in my mind I was thinking it was a camp for a person/persons without others to join together with. I'm cool with however you guys want to play it.
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:40 pm

I second Somnivore's take on it. I think if someone wants to participate and is not "stag" that their motivation is enough for me to say welcome. Stags and stag couples/minicamps is my suggestion with a big dose of lets not exclude people. What do you think?

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

plowman

Post by plowman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:25 pm

Hmmmm. Do you mean a loose knit camp? Where friends meet for the first time? Where we all put up shade structures together for, like a common get together place? Like a center camp for us? Where we all do our own thing or romp the playa together if we choose? Where we share, or not, if we choose? Where we come together to have a good time and enjoy life? Where inhabitions go out the window because we don't need em this week? Where everyone is welcome?
I think Fat Sam had that idea in mind when he started this. I just jumped at the chance to meet new people and have fun. I love adventure! New things! New FRIENDS!!
If I've overstepped my bounds Sam, you came hurt me when I get there
But I'll be there!!

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:32 pm

No, no...I'm not the boss of anything. I'm a transmitter, you know? Ideas come and I put them out like a radio station. I often lack the creativity or ability to make a thing, but I have a lot of ideas and they're always open to revision.

I think that the camp should be open to those who come to camp so long as everyone agrees. In the spirit of inclusion, I posit that all who feel they belong should feel welcome at Stag Camp.

Are we "Staggers"? Maybe a lanyard is in order. And perhaps we should have a tribe or an email list so we can all communicate. I think we should have some camp guidelines, at least, so that we can avoid or mediate any strife while we're on playa and maybe an idea of community resources. I'll be bringing a 10' x 20' carport, for instance. And some carpeting to protect us from the bare erff.

I'll start on the guidelines.

I'm happy to share everything I bring. I like wine coolers. A lot. I also like cheap beer in beer bong form and lots and lots of mixed drinks (I lead a habit-ordered life off playa and like to cut a lot loose). Everyone is welcome to share my booze as long as some of my favorite stuff is left.

Furthermore, does anyone have a problem with me rollerskating into camp at 4am and passing out in various shades of nudity (+ rollerskates) totally tossed in a common area? Stuff like that needs to be worked out with respect to everyone's wishes.

Also, I may badger people at any time with a bullhorn. I like to offer a service I call "Contrary Opinions and Creative Offense." Any objections?

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:46 pm

quote "Furthermore, does anyone have a problem with me rollerskating into camp at 4am and passing out in various shades of nudity (+ rollerskates) totally tossed in a common area? Stuff like that needs to be worked out with respect to everyone's wishes."

As long as you don't mind us drawing funny mustaches on you when you're passed out :twisted:
j/k (maybe) I have a 10x10 carport that I'm placing over the bed of my pickup (where my tent will be). I also have a 16'x20' carport that I was thinking of bringing if we need it. Figure you can never have too much shade. Only thing I'd request would be to go easy on the bullhorn Tuesday moring as I have to pull two 12hr night shifts in the medical station on Monday and Tuesday night, other then that, have at it! What are our numbers looking like at the moment?

BTW, thanks for the welding links Tool, nice stuff.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:20 pm

Looks like 5 for sure (you, me, motsky, plowman, and toolmaker), six with Jerimiah, 8 with MauiBurnerz.

That's pretty cool, actually. A doctor, a welder, a plowman, a toolmaker, and an arborist. I'm kind of redundant on the playa, unless we need to climb something really high and cut bits of it off, but still...Stag Camp seems to be rather trades oriented.

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:26 pm

Actually I'm a Paramedic and an RN, not a doc (wouldn't mind making that kind of money though). Sounds like an interesting mix. Did Maui couple decide to add in?

It's weird, I'm both really psyched and a bit apprehensive about my first burn (not related to the camp situation). Guess it's probably the distance thing, going to do 3000 miles solo in three days. Plus, not really knowing what to expect for the week and my wife thinks I'm crazy for even going. Just got confirmation today for my early arrival ticket, are any others in the Stag coming in early???

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:09 am

Somnivore,
Having Stag camp as a base will really help as a first timer. Being apprehensive is totally normal. My first year I went by my self and was horribly apprehensive. I arrived in the pre dawn morning and once I saw the lights of the city from the turn off I was like----Yah Yah Yah Yahhhhh! When I got to the greeters the sun came up and the greeters stripped and did a naked sun dance. Then I thought...This is giong to be really interesting.
I will be arriving early to help with the porta potties. :D

As far as camp conduct goes. This is Burning Man and I am prepared for radical acceptance except for dickheaded or asshole type behavior. If you are naked and thinking of sitting on anything of mine---put your towel down first. Some times I can be a music snob. You'l probably never know.

I need a really big area for my shade, pickup and flat bed trailer. 50' of street front and 70' in to the block. I think my setup would make a good corner of our area. I bring alot with me and I am happy to share it. I bring cheap beer, some more expensive beer and hard alcohol. I have a trailer hitch on my bike and will be making ice runs with my wagon. I will run my incredibly loud generator for welding and repair purposes only. That may be any hour of the day or night. Limited 12 volt power will be availabe for running a 12 volt sound system and charging Ipods ect.

I'm really looking forward to this. Lets talk about placement again when a final map comes out.

plowman

Post by plowman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:41 am

I've secured Wed. - Mon. off. I'm still negotiating with the boss for Mon. - tues. He is reluctant to let me go at all since I shattered my leg at BM in 05 and was off work for 7 months (5 1/2 in a cast up to my hip)
I will be there for sure late Tue night. I only have 350 miles to drive.
I will be bringing An "11 x 11" screened shade structure cheap beer a box of wine ( I turn into a wino at night) I wish I had a bullhorn but I do have a big brass bell That will definately get your attantion. It hangs from an old tripod.
As far as being dressed or undressed, I don't think it should matter one way or the other as long as you are comfortable. I will probably be doing the same thing in the same condition

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:30 pm

That's a big space, Motsky...Do you think we should register? It would help with dealing with surrounding camps. Last year, I parked a trailer and a flatbed and the people on my northside got pissy with me and never talked to me again for the rest of the week, claiming I had stolen their space, which btw wasn't taped off or registered...They were just mad that I was there...Last year was a rough one.

Anyway, maybe we should think about asking for a big space. Also, since you're bringing the genny, should we bring turntables? I like to spin records on the playa and in camp is no exception. I know the genny's loud and we could use the camp as a place to break from oonsa beats, but the positive aspect is that I could teach you how to beat match. Plus, I have a ton of downtempo and mood-stuff that's pretty sweet to just chill out to.

I don't have anything for speakers, really. Just my bookshelf stereo, although I could probably get my girl's stereo from her mom's house in Reno. It's decent enough to kick out sound. I think we're going to have enough of a shade structure to prevent much equipment damage, too. I might even be ableto borrow a turntable coffin from someone and really keep things protected. I don't know. Everyone should chime in on this one, because I know sound in camp is a controversial issue. I can always get my jollies playing at someone else's camp, but man...I really like being in charge of the tables and I don't get to play music in my apartment at any sort of acceptable volume (read: "ungodly loud"). It's nice to thump it once in awhile. And if we've got the space you're talking about, we can always run a long extension cord so as to put the genny a ways away from tent and camp zones. Your genny's not really that much louder than too many of the other one's I've heard out there. An alternative is a smaller one I saw at a store for a decent price. Probably quieter, though obviously not 'whisper quiet.'

I'm going to draft a potential camp layout and post it here for review with your space considerations in mind and with everyone's input concerning shade structures. We should figure this stuff out in advance.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:46 pm

Somnivore wrote:It's weird, I'm both really psyched and a bit apprehensive about my first burn (not related to the camp situation). Guess it's probably the distance thing, going to do 3000 miles solo in three days.
It's normal to have jitters. You're going to a place you've never experienced with some degree of expectation; even if you try not to, surely everything you've heard affects you on some level.

Burning Man virginity is a sensitive thing. That's why it's referred to with such an apt metaphor. You're getting a really interesting psychological cherry popped by doing this thing you're about to do. Once you get there, though, I'm confident that you'll understand why you decided to spend the money, make the commitents and the trek, and you'll know in an instant if you belong.

My advice...just roll with it. The more in the moment and open you can be to changing gears to adapt to a situation, the better you'll do. Keep in mind that the playa itself has a great effect on the body and the mind. As the city grows, it's the city that will affect you more and more, but initially, especially since you're arriving early, you will have to acclimate to a completely foreign environment that your body may not immediately like. Water. Water. Water. Water. Water. If you get moody, water. Feel under the weather? Water. Tired? Water before you sleep. Just wake up? Mmm...water. Partying hard? Water. It's the key to everything, there. And dude. LOTS OF SOCKS. Vinegar with rose water mixed into it is a godsend for your little tootsies. Playa cracks are a virgin hallmark and if you can avoid them, you're way ahead of the game. Nothing troubles a burn like every other step being a painful one.

Also, strap a tin cup to yourself somewhere. It'll come in handy.

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:08 pm

I have a small honda generator that is reasonably quiet that I will be bringing. Having turntables in camp would be fun but could be an issue if someone is trying to get some sleep. I'm down with downtempo and lower volumes for sure.

I think the time may have passed to be able to register a camp and get space. I don't know for sure. I think that we will probably be lucky with a land grab with two or more of us in early. Whatever happens the person who marks the space off needs to put a sign on it and then enter it in the database at Playa Info so others can find us.

Put my structure on the southern edge in the layout. It will supply a small ammount of wind break. The footprint of the actual structure is approx 35' square. The pickup and trailer will go behind the structure.

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:37 pm

Well fortunately (I guess) my body should be prepared for the playa experience. I work as a Flight PM/RN on a helicopter in Florida. Wearing a nomex flight suit for 24hrs and working in ambient temps ranging from 90-120+ degrees (helo gets real hot inside) during the summer/fall is the norm. I face the constant battle of dehydration and can usually recognize when I'm falling behind a bit on my h2o intake.

I guess one of my main decisions will be whether to bring my trailer or not. If there is going to be plenty of shade with both Sam's and Mots carports, I don't think there would be enough room or need for my 20x16. The only reason I would bring my trailer would be to carry my generator and poles for structure. It would be nice not to have to haul a utilty trailer 3k miles behind my big 4x4! I was planning on bringing a clean 55gal plastic drum with shower water. I'm thinking of a way to pressurize the drum with a small portable air tank so there is no need to hang or pump water. Also have been working on a swamp cooler using a blower motor from an automotive a/c.

As far as registering a space, I'll leave that up to the vets. I've got an early arrival permit for 8/26 and could get with Mots to stake up a space.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:21 pm

If you can, you ought to bring your carport. I'm doodling it out right now, but I'll post a couple of possible camp layouts and you'll see why.

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:36 pm

Somnivore,
The generator I am bringing (the small one) is about 500w at Playa elevation. If that is enough power to run what you have you can use mine any time you want. Bringing some fuel might be good as I will only have 5 gallons on hand. Can the poles for the carport go on top of the 4x4?

Thats cool that you are on a "Bird"---I'm a volunteer firefighter of 8 years. We land life flight 0-4 times a year and it is based out of the airport 2 miles out of town.

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:14 pm

Don't think I'm actually going to need the genny myself, just figured it might help the group as a whole (5500kw). My small carport (10x10) that I'll place over bed of pickup (where my tent will be) can be carried in the bed. My bigger carport has a much larger quantity of 8' and 10' poles and these reside in a special rack on my trailer (use this port when I race my motorcycle). I figured on bringing a 5gal gas can and a 5gal diesel can (my 4x4 is an F350 diesel) just in case. My plan is to try and run any electrical stuff I have (won't be much) off a deep cycle auto/marine battery and maybe solar recharge. I could run my Battery Tender of a genny though.

I don't have any problem bringing the trailer/stuff, just thought that if it was going to be overkill it would be less things in the way. Also, I'm planning on getting a load of dry ice at some point and do the freezer and a seperate cooler thing (transfering frozen jugs of water from the "freezer" cooler to the "fridge" cooler.

P.S. I'm getting fooking psyched!!!

Red Vixen
Burning Since: 2005

What about the women?

Post by Red Vixen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:42 pm

So does stag mean no females allowed? I suddenly find myself going solo after the last 2 years with a boyfriend with trailer and all the comforts. Would like to try the solo and more self reliant experience this year.

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:34 pm

Nope, stag simply meant for those that were coming without a group. You'd be more then welcome to join us, add a little more diversity to the group. I think this is going to work out well, sounds like everyone is coming well prepared.

Red Vixen
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Red Vixen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:13 pm

Cool... Just need to get there with all my stuff and make sure I can find you all. 8:45 is a great location for the wind if you face toward 9:00.

jerimiah

Post by jerimiah » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:20 pm

The wind came from the east, it came from the west ... dust, dust everywhere. Now just how many times shook my fist, turned my head and cussed and cussed, 'til it ate right down to the marrow of my bone...

I trust the wind and its alter ego dust will find us regardless.
To labor without pleasure makes us our destiny's slave.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:41 pm

Somni, if you have to bring a seperate trailer to bring the other car port, forget about it. There's no reason for going to that kind of trouble at all. That still leaves a 10' x 20' and an 11' x 11' for community shade, which certainly cuts down on carpeting needs.

I just mapped out a 100' x 100' square. I think it's easy to footprint and it's fairly reasonable and considerate to the camps around us. Here's my sketch:

Some of the words are unreadable. Ask me. Plus, it's not totally to scale, but you might get the idea.

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:29 pm

Just trying to get the picture in my head. Am I guessing right that my truck and your DJ booth are on the north boundary with Mots truck/flatbed on the west?. I don't care where I am at, I'm just trying to get a visual.

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:35 pm

That looks really good!!
My shade, pickup and flat bed will fit within the 50x70 area no problem. I will have a shower spot and solar powered grey water evaporator on my flat bed. That doesn't mean we can't have two shower areas.
Am I right that the street is on the bottom in your sketch?

Somnivore

Post by Somnivore » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:23 pm

I was going to bring a small chiminea and I've got plenty of firewood. Wouldn't heat up a big area, more for ambiance. BTW, thanks to Sam for the diagram.

Return to “2007 Theme Camps”