2008 "American Dream" theme

How much do you like the 2008 "American Dream" theme?

Lame. Lame. Lame.
30%
Lame. Lame. Lame.
30%
Sort of lame.
8%
Sort of lame.
8%
Good enough.
5%
Good enough.
5%
Brilliant. Inspiring.
7%
Brilliant. Inspiring.
7%

Total votes: 708

ravenluv

My Dreams Are Bigger

Post by ravenluv » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:46 am

i like the design of the man this year very much. are those stairs wooden? i hope so! it should make for a great burn if they are.

are they going to burn all of those flags? i hope so! but if so, what about the saudi arabian flag? it has the symbol for allah on it. i'm not sure if we are 'allowed' to burn allah's name. it might be considered spiritually disrespectful.

such details aside, i really like the design.

i was an early and ardent articulator of arguments against the theme. that phase of my existence lasted a few weeks. i've been away for a few months. coming back, i see what i thought i'd see. the theme is largely the same and the backlash against it seems to have quieted down to a simmer.

tickets go on sale soon. it will be time for those of us who have been fighting the war on the american dream theme to decide what we really believe. i like having opportunities open to me and thus will be laying my money down with the hope that it gets me some tickets.

it'd be great to walk through a land of perfect harmony, where all divisions are erased or rendered as merely fanciful - something like 'utopia' in my view. but if you must walk in a land of division and argument, then surely it is just as good if you can find what to you is harmonious and good within that fray. that's what i hope to find, regardless of the theme laid on wherever i happen to be.

i would have looked forward with more enthusiasm to seeing the response to a call-out for artistic representations of 'utopia' across cultures and imaginations, rather than focusing on a particular nation's version of the same. but that's just me. others feel differently. as for the doomsday arguments against the theme, we all know the outcome is conjecture until it is seen. i'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

peace!

amethyst49

Post by amethyst49 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:27 pm

I am a new burner - 2007 was my first time. I have lived in Reno for quite a while, and had always heard how loving and inspiring Burning man was. Well, I went, and I loved it! I am just shocked at the negativity surrounded by the theme, for pete's sake!!! Isn't this supposed to be about sharing ourselves with others? If people from other countries choose to travel to America, and further their ivsit to Burning Man, then I would assume (always dangerous) that they are not anti-americans!!! Surely people can get their heads in a better place, and realize that BRC is America - a new America.[color=darkblue][/color]

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:38 am

You're supposed to Hate America. ;)

the_pharoah

Post by the_pharoah » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:30 am

I think the theme is sheer genius. It will be quite a challenge to express the theme without patronizing the typical patriotic icons or recalling the 'Leave It To Beaver' lifestyle. Leave the U.S. for a while. Spend time in countries like Egypt, Turkey, the Phillipines, Malaysia, Chile and other places where political and social repression, punishment for self-expression, and a general lack of personal contentment exist. When you retun 'home', savor that first emotional wave as you set foot on 'american' soil again. It is that single emotion, that internal relief and thankfulness in knowing that you are an American, that is the 'American Dream'. I've experienced it many times in my 51 years wandering this planet. Regardless of anything else going on in my life, I will always savor that first step on my home turf. THAT is my American Dream. THAT is what I want to instill in others who only know America from the inside, who live in the grumbling belly, whining and entitling their way through the colon of America, but afraid to be shit out one end so they can turn around and look into their own eyes.
Just because I want to see it, doesn't mean I want to become it. Everything I observe changes my life in some manner.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:51 pm

the_pharoah wrote:I think the theme is sheer genius. It will be quite a challenge to express the theme without patronizing the typical patriotic icons or recalling the 'Leave It To Beaver' lifestyle. Leave the U.S. for a while. Spend time in countries like Egypt, Turkey, the Phillipines, Malaysia, Chile and other places where political and social repression, punishment for self-expression, and a general lack of personal contentment exist. When you retun 'home', savor that first emotional wave as you set foot on 'american' soil again. It is that single emotion, that internal relief and thankfulness in knowing that you are an American, that is the 'American Dream'. I've experienced it many times in my 51 years wandering this planet. Regardless of anything else going on in my life, I will always savor that first step on my home turf. THAT is my American Dream. THAT is what I want to instill in others who only know America from the inside, who live in the grumbling belly, whining and entitling their way through the colon of America, but afraid to be shit out one end so they can turn around and look into their own eyes.

You are a credit to the community. Thank you for your most excellent insight and support of the theme. Unlike many who have expressed dislike for the theme, you actually get it.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

the_pharoah

Post by the_pharoah » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks, man. I just know there are many others who feel the same way. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to turn my feelings into something tangible so I can get my message out. It'll have to be good so people will get it.

See you at the burn.
Just because I want to see it, doesn't mean I want to become it. Everything I observe changes my life in some manner.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Does the theme even matter?

Post by vargaso » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:03 pm

The themes BARELY influence the overall tone of the event anyway. I mean last year's theme: Green Man. How many here really had a blast with that? Any crazy green camps or parties? Of course not. Crude Awakening was sort of based on the theme, but that group would have come up with something equally as inspiring regardless.

In a way, the theme is kind of brilliant because it's shaking things up. It's pretty unexpected. And by itself, yeah, it totally blows. But I'm really looking forward to how it gets twisted and interpreted.

ravenluv

didn't know there'd be a test

Post by ravenluv » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:49 pm

i don't get it. probably never will. but i'm okay with that. and if you are too, then you get the it that i care most about.

i'm not an entitled american - i'm an entitled human.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:28 am

I'm not entitled-- just a human.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:07 pm

I just am.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown... the mysterious. The unexplainable. That is why you are here. And now, for the first time, we are bringing to you, the full story of what happened on that fateful day. We are bringing you all the evidence, based only on the secret testimony, of the miserable souls, who survived this terrifying ordeal. The incidents, the places. My friend, we cannot keep this a secret any longer. Let us punish the guilty. Let us reward the innocent. My friend, can your heart stand the shocking facts of grave robbers from outer space?

Return to “2008 Theme”