What do you like about America?

Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:12 am

Stupidity :)

You have a "world" series tournament....with all American teams bar maybe exception of a Canadian team. Hardly covers the "world"

But saying that at least your country is reletivly efficent.....Ireland is probly the only country in the modern world, where if you were to call an ambulance for an emergency; and a pizza from a pizza delivery outlet; at exact same time, you would probly see the pizza at your door first :shock:

Speaking of.....lunch time

P.P
God is a DJ and life is the Dancefloor

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:32 am

Which tournament?
Racing is the only real american sport.

I love the wrc stuff best of all.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:46 am

gyre wrote:Which tournament?
Racing is the only real american sport.

I love the wrc stuff best of all.
World Series Baseball
God is a DJ and life is the Dancefloor

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:11 am

Those things are basically self-appointed business monopolies like FIA.
Disregard the world stuff.
If you want to have some real fun, check out all the various boxing and wrestling titles.
I imagine it's pretty much the same situation getting a new football club recognized by FIFA.

In america, the big baseball and football teams make most of their money by scamming various cities into giving them vast sums, as the games aren't actually supported at the level they pretend to be.
The leagues restrict the number of teams to keep the payoffs high.
So it's all a bit of a joke.

Spicy

Post by Spicy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:08 am

I went to Burning Man my first year (2004) feeling down on America. It was during exodus that I realized, Burning Man WAS America. It was a by-product of our system. Most Burners were American. It made me feel good again, gave me hope, and I was happy to returning to the "default world".
Black Rock City Combat Club
Where martial artists train, share, and compete on the Playa.
http://brc.cc

jadewombat
Burning Since: 2000

Post by jadewombat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:28 pm

I don't know about this whole "default world" thing, this is to say that if you rebooted everything, like a computer, rebooted the country/planet that it would default to BM. I don't think so. I wouldn't want to live this way ALL the time my whole life. A week or two a year is plenty.

Understand that BM is NOT for everyone. I too have felt that there were several friends of mine who would probably like the BM experience but also I knew there was no way in Hell that the would actually go. I gave up trying to convince people to go after the first couple of years. Anyone asks how it was I say, awesome, and leave it at that. Likewise, there are also several good people I know who never go to BM and if somehow they did go it would absolutely NOT be their cup of tea.

I like to think that the people that go to BM and return again and again, or only went once and had a great time, are well, elite or exclusive for a lack of better words. These words make it sound like were better than the rest though. I dunno.

One of the main things I love about America:

-That we do have differences of opinion.

I know, I know, we're not the only country to either, blah, blah.

-There is always opportunity

...more difficult for some of us than others, I know, I know. This is coming from someone who went from making $20K/year to $100K in one year just by switching jobs.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:13 pm

The default world is the one you return to.
Sometimes known as Reality Camp.

Astrolabe

What time is it?

Post by Astrolabe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:38 am

What I love about America. That we are a relatively young country formed by people trying to escape the oppressive governments of their homeland. Pushing and killing the indians aside. (I know another dead horse kicked) Setting up shop, importing slaves. Then figuring out that if you pay em a little bit it aint slavery, and you can tax em too. Then figuring out you can outsource slavery, er I mean paid labor. And you can teach em if they close their eyes and ignore the pain, think happy thoughts like Jesus land, that all of this circumstance and hard times will go away. Afterall boys and girls he died for your sinning. Would you like to buy a plastic jesus doll? If your done with it just throw it in the ocean it aint pollution cause we own part of it. Afterall, we is american and this is manifest destiny.

Never prouder of our imaginary border. America, a brand name you can hide behind and shoot from.

I don't love america, I love humans and our resilience and ability to open our minds and embrace righteousness.

(doesn't the BMO realize that America is just the company we work for?)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:11 am

Relitively young country, huh. We're older than Germany, Italy, Beloruss, the Czech Republic, Namibia, both Congos, Eritrea, Liberia, Algeria, Iraq, Israel, Egypt, India, Cuba, the Philippines, Vietnam, Mexico, and Panama.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:30 am

Depends on what you call "Country", Fishy.
If we mean "Nation-state", then I believe we are the oldest, one could argue France beat us out, since we were a confederacy not unlike the EU until the early 1800's. But I think Americans saw themselves as Americans the day the DoI was read from the various courthouse steps across the former colonies.

Marscrumbs

What I like about America

Post by Marscrumbs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 am

I like the States with Spanish names.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14 pm

it's mine it's mine it's mine....
blow.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:47 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:Depends on what you call "Country", Fishy.
If we mean "Nation-state", then I believe we are the oldest, one could argue France beat us out, since we were a confederacy not unlike the EU until the early 1800's. But I think Americans saw themselves as Americans the day the DoI was read from the various courthouse steps across the former colonies.
It does depend on exactly what you mean. Here's my list. France. England. Spain. China. Japan. Russia.
Probablies: Switzerland. Holland. Iceland.
Maybes (ie--I'd have to do a little research to find my opinion.) Iceland. Austria. Sweden. Thailand/Siam.
I think my criteria is common language/culture and some continuous political entity-ness. (yeah, awkward word there. I"m busy wading through the other stuff, and that interferes with my thought process.) South America, Africa, and the Middle East are right out because of colonialism. The former SSRs don't count either. Finland's status I'm unsure of. Not sure how long Japan held Korea.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Re: What time is it?

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:41 am

Astrolabe wrote:What I love about America. That we are a relatively young country ....
Never prouder of our imaginary border. America, a brand name you can hide behind and shoot from.

I don't love america, I love humans and our resilience and ability to open our minds and embrace righteousness.

(doesn't the BMO realize that America is just the company we work for?)
I guess you're talking about the U.S. ..."America" is a whole bunch of countries on a couple of continents.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Re: What I like about America

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:53 am

Marscrumbs wrote:I like the States with Spanish names.
I mostly agree with you.

But then you haven't been to Hawai'i have you? :)

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:40 pm

This thread.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:25 am

I am Proud to be an American. There is no country on earth as diverse as ours. Yes, we have stains from our forefathers, but we have learned from them - unlike other countries.

We still have the right to effect change and VOTE! There aren't too many countries out there that would give YOU the luxury. So thank your lucky 50 stars that you live here, and not elsewhere. If you think it's better elsewhere, then move. I doubt you'd be welcome.
Medicated and Motivated!

Timezone LaFontaine

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:36 am

I hear what you're saying about loving this country, Das Bus. But if you're seriously annoyed by people who voice their unhappiness with this country, then maybe YOU should move elsewhere. I'm sure you could find some place where people are not allowed to do that. See what I'm saying?

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:02 am

The government doesn't shoot too many of its citizens.
Low expectations, I know.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:03 pm

tell that to the Branch Dividians......or those on Ruby Ridge......

U.D.:
I like your siganture quote, I tried to quote it in another thread regarding the media..........and tried to give you credit but couldn't remember where I saw it....

And,
isn't it a great place, where, we can vehemently disagree about politics, society, etc, and still share an adult beverage and giggle at a tasteless joke..........

some places, that just don't happen........

Ygmir
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

jadewombat

Post by jadewombat » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:44 pm

Das Bus wrote:I am Proud to be an American. There is no country on earth as diverse as ours. Yes, we have stains from our forefathers, but we have learned from them - unlike other countries.

We still have the right to effect change and VOTE! There aren't too many countries out there that would give YOU the luxury. So thank your lucky 50 stars that you live here, and not elsewhere. If you think it's better elsewhere, then move. I doubt you'd be welcome.
Well put. I've heard it guesstimated that there would be quite a few less people trying to terrorize us(and the Western World) if there was a more open policy about handing out green cards worldwide. I've seen quite a few rich middle Eastern brats who come over here to 'study' in college and do fuck-all most of the time, absorbing our Western societyness, drinking Starbucks, buying Mustangs and spending Daddy's money.

I tend to agree again, it is very hypocritical to critize the USA as being the worst, or the most demonic, or the most business oriented or whatever. Like the Japanese don't market the shit out of everything, or the French really cared that Iraq was invaded by us. The French didn't care about the Iraqi people, they were pissed off because they had secret oil and nuke deals going on that whole time. They also make buttloads of money dealing in Iranian oil btw.

Let's call a spade a spade already, your high standard of living in America is in place from a whole bunch of industrious people(fat white rich guys) working very hard and very smartly to put the system in place that is here now. Not defending anything or anyone, but let's be real, invading Iraq was meant to keep your standard of living what it is and keep a whole bunch of fat white guys rich, nothing more.

You don't like it in the USA, please go live in Sudan for a while, or go fight for womens' rights in Saudi Arabia, or go stick some flowers in the ends of M-16s in Myan Maar. Please quit denying you got it good though.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Our standard of living could be much higher if not for the parts of the economy rigged for the few who can do that.

It is no surprise they do this.
It is probably a shock to them that we allow it.

This country is much richer than most people realize.
Yet our standard of living drops like a stone while we grow closer to being a country of peasants with a few rich.

Are we all that stupid?

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:33 pm

gyre wrote:Are we all that stupid?
Yep.
Voting costs nothing, and in local elections, where it counts the most, about 1/4 of the eligible people vote. Most people can tell you something about American Idol, but can't name their city council rep, their state assembly rep, state senator, etc. I doubt most folks can even name their congressional rep and senators.

It ain't about rich white guys, it is about lazy, uninformed slobs that can't be bothered to give a dribbling shit about their community. Rich white guys vote, hombro.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:56 am

As of this writing, it's still legal to organize, as long as you aren't a drug gang. Or a cult. Definitions vary, so watch your top-knot.

Timezone LaFontaine

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:43 am

chiefdanfox wrote: It ain't about rich white guys, it is about lazy, uninformed slobs that can't be bothered to give a dribbling shit about their community. Rich white guys vote, hombro.
Civic duty/participation is something that must be taught and learned, and it has largely been removed from the curriculum. Likewise, but in a more subtle way, apathy is something that is taught, learned, and in many cases, glamorized.

Cynicism, an attitude that in the midst of the 1950s and 1960s post-war suburban fantasyworld, was a useful counter to the prevailing winds of conditioned social repression, is now mass-marketed as a hip and savvy outlook on life -- an attitude to be embraced by smart people. But now that cynicism is itself a prevailing attitude, it is no longer effective as a motivator for positive change and is in fact a way of keeping masses of people inactive.

By the way, I looked for you and your telescope last year but couldn't find y'all. Were you able to see much through the city lights?

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:02 pm

It wasn't the lights, but the dust. I had a line of folks looking at Venus and Mercury during the day, the Moon and Jupiter in the evening.
Once the moon got below about 30 degrees it was almost impossible to see with the scope, even though it was quite visible to the eye.

I stayed near my camp, since I figured the time on the scope would be limited because of the dusty conditions.

jadewombat

Post by jadewombat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:41 am

chiefdanfox wrote:It wasn't the lights, but the dust. I had a line of folks looking at Venus and Mercury during the day, the Moon and Jupiter in the evening.
Once the moon got below about 30 degrees it was almost impossible to see with the scope, even though it was quite visible to the eye.

I stayed near my camp, since I figured the time on the scope would be limited because of the dusty conditions.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:07 pm

It's all covered in this one.

lurker

Post by lurker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:56 pm

I guess you're talking about the U.S. ..."America" is a whole bunch of countries on a couple of continents.
Why do people feel the need to say this? In case you hadn't noticed theres a whole lot of countries on them continents that have names of their own. They're NOT 'America' at all. Only one country uses the name America and it's US(pun offended).

So please, see what a Brasilian does when you tell him he's an American--no matter what he thinks. K?
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:58 pm

blow.

Return to “2008 Theme”