First Time

kevin87

First Time

Post by kevin87 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:28 pm

Hello ,
me and some of my friends are planing on goin to burning man for our first time this year and would like to no what to expect. We have all read whats on the site but it would be nice 2 hear it from real people.
Thanks
Kevin

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:56 pm

First of all, welcome to eplaya. Keep in mind that eplaya is NOT the playa and we are a bunch of snarky bastards (and bitches) here.

That being said I will give you the obligatory "read the First Timer and Survival Guides 100 times". I know you stated that you have read it but, trust me, you haven't read it enough yet.

As far as what to expect, jeez, that is open-ended isn't it? You can expect it to be hot. You can expect it to be dusty. You can expect it to be cold at night. You can expect 60-80mph winds during the day. You can expect to see more penis' than you ever wanted to see in your life. You can expect fun-loving, open-minded people. You can expect to have your life put in danger on multiple occasions. You can expect to have the time of your life or you can expect to have the worst time of your life. Depends on you really.

Other than that, don't expect anything to be normal. If loud, techno-thumping music is offensive to you, stay home. If being woken up at ANY given hour by people with bullhorns making all kinds of ruckus makes you unconfortable, stay home. If the idea of no showers/vendors/proper restrooms/a warm bed/etc for a week does not sound like your cup of tea, stay home. If you are offended by homosexuality and/or nudity, stay home. If you are a frat-boy who is looking for a giant kegger in the desert, please, by all means, stay home.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:15 pm

There is no center stages, there are no hired acts, there is only the vaguest schedule .. The Man usually burns on Saturday night. You are the event. We're all rockstars, we're all beautiful. ... even the orchestra is beautiful. Sorry, drifted off for a moment there ...

Oh yes, there's law enforcement in abundance, so while you can get nekkid, you can't fuck in the streets. Discretion is your friend when it comes to activities which would surely get your ass thrown in jail. It does happen, don't let it happen to you.

Being prepared t take care of yourselves and your camp can make your experience smoother, hence happier.

words can't express the shifting nature of the event, it changes with chameleon-like swiftness.

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:28 pm

My recommendation would be to not expect anything. Other than your food/water/shelter/etc needs, try not to form any opinions about what your experience will be like. Just show up prepared for anything and see what happens. Everyone has a different experience anyway.

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:46 am

Kevin: for your second post, tell me if you actually were enticed to buy your ticket. Did the idea of 7 days of sleep depravation and dust in every crevice of your body make you want to attend BM for the firt time? I can recall speaking to my seasoned camp mates prior to my first time and letting know that I was scared "shitless". Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and jump.
Hopefully we will see you on the playa this year. It's something you won't regret.
......and read the survival guide again!

Scout13

Post by Scout13 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:03 pm

You will find the playa full of old guys wearing hats saying, “Hi…I’m Larry Harvey, why don’t you have sex with me.â€

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi, I'm Larry Harvey. :wink:

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:50 pm

No,Im Larry Harvey..........
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:54 pm

Do not listen to them....
Fuck you all.... I'm Larry Harvey......
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Fuck me, I'm Larry Harvey!

(won't mylarry be surprised?)

likwid

Post by likwid » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:36 pm

I am Larvey Harry, nice to meet you. I will not ask you to buy sex from me.

q.e.d.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:06 pm

Expect a pretty girl in furry gear thats an undercover cop to try to do drug deals with you.

Expect a pretty girl to come up to you asking for some sunscreen, after giving her the bottle watch how some dirty fuckin fat ass dude comes from nowhere to help liberate your sunscreen and uses half the bottle.

Expect no mercy.. we will keep you awake depriving you of sleep for as long as we can.

Expect to be written on with a sharpie.

Expect it to be hot.

Expect it to be dusty.

Expect to have a guy to hit on you.

Expect to have a girl hit on you.

Expect to have a couple hit on you.

Expect to be turned down by everyone YOU hit on.

Expect someone to fuck with you in good fun.

Expect to open a porta pottie and get knocked on yer ass from the smell for opening the door at 7AM on Saturday before the cleaning crew hits it.

Than again.. Expect nothing and be thankful for everything.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

DJ Dominus

Re: First Time

Post by DJ Dominus » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:31 pm

kevin87 wrote:Hello ,
me and some of my friends are planing on goin to burning man for our first time this year and would like to no what to expect. We have all read whats on the site but it would be nice 2 hear it from real people.
Thanks
Kevin
My first burn was last year and all I gots tah say is expect the unexpected. As cliche as that is, it is what it is. I've never been through so many extremes as BM. It's up it's down, it's hot it's cold, it's work and relaxation, it's fun and it's downright depressing. You see people giddy with excitement and you see the worst side of humanity. The playa takes and it gives back. It's an experience that will stand out from others. That's all I gots tah say.

TheFunkHole

Post by TheFunkHole » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 pm

Read the Survival Guide... It's named that for good reason.

Don't speed on the drive in. Lotsa coppers. Get gas before you arrive.

Take it slow the first day or two. You'll be inclined to rush in and setup everything fast, but just relax drink water, setup, relax, drink beer, meet some people, relax, drink water, setup... and so on.

You'll probably be adjusting your camp throughout the week so don't get all bent out of shape if it doesn't get setup exactly how you envisioned it right off the bat.

It takes longer to do things in the desert.

The people on the playa are amazing, warm, welcoming, loving, weird, obnoxious, chatty, emotional, super creative, tanned, pretty, ugly, huggy, young, old, smart, stupid as hell.

You'll probably see some people get injured and might get hurt yourself. It's up to you.

People die at DisneyLand once in a while, and that's the happiest place on earth.

Don't worry so much, we'll help you through it if you want.

Be prepared for human vs. nature challenges.

Don't try to see it all, that's just not healthy for you.

Know you'll be back next year to see more.

When you start getting negative, cranky, mad, and annoying to others around you, know that you can simply decide to smile and be happy anytime you want.

It's fun to help others.

Surprise yourself.

DJ Dominus was right on about the extremes. You'll go through an emotional and physical grinder. It's not all easy and fun, which is why it's the best. You'll see.

Don't attach yourself to any expectations about what might happen.

Know that experiencing Burning Man can potentially have devastatingly life altering consequences days, weeks, and months afterwards, but really it's just a bunch of goofballs in a huge desert city.

Be prepared to be tossed in the playdough fun factory of life. You go in a shapeless blob and come out a tube of stars that can't stop talking about Burning Man.

I am going to stop now.

Rolan Headon

Post by Rolan Headon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:07 am

Be sad you missed burns like the Waffle and Crude Awakening. Be sad old timers will tell you the good old days are gone and you missed the real deal. Be glad you finally came. Be sad you will miss almost all of it this year. Be glad you drank tons of water. Always carry little dust masks from the hardware store and swim goggles at least, maybe carry a bag of dust masks in your bike basket to hand out to newbies caught in dust storms. Snort two lines of fine dust every day for about a week before your trip. Bring food that's easy to eat. Be discreet with illegal vegetables. Come to our camp, Congenital Moop, and say hi, we'll give you Bloody Marys made with real playa dust and enjoy your stories. Bring your (beater) musical instruments and we'll make music and annoy our neighbors.
Was born late and falling ever further behind, will soon be in the lead.

alaska burners

Tips from Alaska - We know extreme weather

Post by alaska burners » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:19 am

Ok most important tip is this website. Other websites sell the same thing however they leak alot and have very little of the actual crystals in them and are not very sturdy. (moop) These ONES are made for people who work in the dessert. I would suggest the bandannas and the vest. P.S. wear the vest under your clothes so you do not look like a dork (see the guide). Other than the days I was drinking for 20 hours straight I felt as cool as when I was back home.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/cat ... ducts.html

bring spray bottles to squirt your friends and yourself. The ones with a fan on it that you get at hell-mart. The small cylinder pump sprayers are the best but hard to find a break easy.

Get your dust mask and goggles at a military surplus store not home depot

Bring a camel pack but also bring a cup. one- you get sick of sucking out of that straw (unless of course you really like to suck) and two -people will give you alcohol if you have your own cup.

Use vinegar on your feet before you even get there to start the vitality of your feet since you will do a lot of walking. in the morning rub lotion on your feet, let them dry and put your socks on. At the end or midday soak them in vinegar. speaking of walking bring a bike (and decorate it for there is less chance someone will steal it.)

Try to take as many steam baths as you can. although it sounds funny preparing your body for the heat with heat makes the day last longer. Just do not stay in too long and drink lots of water when you get out. So that being said hot things are better for your body in the heat which brings us to the next most important thing bring lots of bacon. Do not ask why just bring it you will not regret it.

Personal shade like umbrellas, sunglasses, and hats lots and lots of hats.
Do not eat the pepper

Deliver the mail it is one of the most liberating burning man things you can do. especially if you are having trouble meeting people.

Bring your necessities. flashlight, pocket knife, mess kit, toothbrush, etc.

Remember everyone is not walking around with cocaine in their pockets. The playa just smells that way.

The last time I read the guide I do not remember seeing anything about sunblock. You want both sunblock and sunscreen. Start with sunblock and ease your way into the tanning lotion so you can at least go away with a tan. (that is if you live in a place that is not hot)

More later....

P.S. Do not feel bad that you do not know who Larry Harvey is you will...
From one Extreme Climate to the next...

TheFunkHole

Post by TheFunkHole » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:31 am

Bring lights/fire and glowy things to wear at night. Seriously, the more the better. Glowsticks work, but you can do better with el wire and a headlamp on your head. Plus glowstix don't last that long, become garbage and aren't that bright.

It is very dark and hard to see people and obstacles at night, unless they have lights on.

Bring extra glowy things to give out or put on things like metal poles sticking out of the ground for seemingly no good reason other than to become a bonk for people who can't see where they are going.

Bring water with you wherever you go, and maybe even an extra cup for boozes. Don't dump out your water for a cocktail, because then you'll go dancing and get really thirsty and won't have any water then have to go beg people or run to camp.

The free coffee is strong, and makes you really chatty. Bring food to the coffee camps so people can eat and drink coffee for breakfast.

Complex meals are a pain in the ass. Your appetite will diminish as the week goes. Force yourself to eat once in a while. But you'll probably lose a few pounds.

They say, "Piss Clear" but I rarely am able to do so. Just keep drinking water and try to acheive clear piss.

Bring extra toilet paper for the bathrooms, as it goes quickly. The bathrooms aren't as bad as some say, respect the people who maintain them, they have a shitty job.

NEVER PUT GARBAGE IN THE PORTA POTTIES...NEVER EVER EVER! People can get seriously injured, and someone did last year. BAD BAD.

It feels good to wear women's clothes on the playa. Try it.

Bring a comfortable chair.

Take care of your hands and feet, they can get a little crusty and dry.

Listen to people when they say carry goggles and something to cover your face in a dust storm. Dust storms can last for an hour or two.

Explore on your own, it can be much more interesting than staying with your camp mates.

Spend some time with the temple.

If you see garbage on the ground rolling past people and they don't pick it up... set the example and pick it up and pack it out with you or make a moop sculpture.

Don't piss on the playa. Bring a pee jug or make the trek to the bathrooms.

Sunscreen every morning, don't get burned, it sucks. LOBSTER!

Tents/domes get hot, make a good outdoor shade structure to be in during the day.

Get ready to ride your bike A LOT! Your legs and ass get tired on Thursday- Friday-ish...

Walking around at night is actually a good way to see things up close and personal.

Make an effort to see the outer playa, it's a little quieter out there.

If you wanna sleep, and noise bothers you, bring earplugs. The throbbing music never really stops, and your neighbors can be noisy at times.

Time to run...

kevin87

WOW Thanks

Post by kevin87 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:36 am

You guys said more than I ever could have gotten off the siteyouve given us alot to think about and pepare for after reading everything you guys posted im more excited and more terified of going than i was before i poasted this but thank you all so much. And who is Larry Harvy?

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:04 am

I told you....I am Larry Harvey!

Now go drink your water!

Keep saftey pins, bandaids and chapstick in your pocket or back pack at all times....
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 pm

No, I'm Larry Harvey - my RV is a tent this year. I'm slumming.
It's going to be alright.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm Larry Harvey. Now, be quiet, I'm composing incomprehensible prose.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Rolan Headon

Post by Rolan Headon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:05 pm

Oh yeah. In case you drink a lot or something, bring a gallon jug with a screw top and a funnel. Pee in here when the Republican voting booths are too far from your camp. In the morning join the other people in line with jugs of lemonade from hell.
Was born late and falling ever further behind, will soon be in the lead.

hsdavis

Re: WOW Thanks

Post by hsdavis » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:44 pm

kevin87 wrote:You guys said more than I ever could have gotten off the siteyouve given us alot to think about and pepare for after reading everything you guys posted im more excited and more terified of going than i was before i poasted this but thank you all so much. And who is Larry Harvy?
Grasshopper, you ask the age old question that long time burners have been trying to figure out----WHO THE HELL IS LARRY HARVEY? That should have been the theme for this year.
By the way, If some old guy in a cowboy hat, with a tooth missing in the front and chain smoking comes up to you, do not make eye contact with him under any circumstances. You could find yourself volunteering to run a department of some sort. Instead, run back to your camp and read your survival guide again.
By the way, did you buy your ticket yet? Once this next level is sold out, the price goes up to $295. That's $304.52 Canadian, eh! :shock:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:52 am

more like $15. canadian.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:02 am

dude, seriously, fuck the burn....the real party is in Circus Circus every NIGHT!

just get a couple of eight balls, a nice juicy ho', and watch the Playboy Channel until you cant even pee anymore.

thats what Larry does every year, so dont kid yourselves.
Frida Be You & Me

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:34 am

It's like being drunk.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:21 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:dude, seriously, fuck the burn....the real party is in Circus Circus every NIGHT!

just get a couple of eight balls, a nice juicy ho', and watch the Playboy Channel until you cant even pee anymore.

thats what Larry does every year, so dont kid yourselves.
Hey, aren't you Larry Harvey?

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Burningman is horrible.

DON"T GO!!!

It's full of smelly dirty hippies.

The people all suck. They're rude, pretentious, selfish and boring. Your better off hanging out at the train station for a week.

It's totally not worth the $250 ticket and the other $750 to get yourself there. A thousand bucks minimum for a week of dust, annoying people and heat from hell.

DON"T GO!!!

The main reason I say don't go is... I want more room, it's too crowded.

See everyone on the playa
Read my posts with a grain of salt.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Nice call Rat B, and by the way, all you virgins can forget about drinking all the FUCKING coffee!!! I need all 45+ gallons we brew weekly to myself! ("How can someone possibly drink 45...?) OH YEAH? I CAN DO IT, I don't need your belly anyway...maybe...
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

Scout13

Post by Scout13 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:10 am

What ever you do while at the Burn……be very careful if you go to the Critical Tits Parade. There are 2 things you will find there (I always love that joke). No….really be careful. First you will find a lot of guys with boners and cameras taking pictures of everything they can find. So, if you don’t want a picture of yourself with your dress up over your head on some Burning Man website…..stay away from these guys.

Second and most important…..you will notice a lot of short guys at the Critical Tits Parade wearing flannel shirts…..well, THEY'RE NOT GUYS!!!!! If you get in these “guysâ€

Return to “2008 Theme”