Temple of Community

myredcarpet

Post by myredcarpet » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 pm

I think eplaya could be considered a temple of community itself, in a vague, broad interpretation.
Yes exactly! That's one of the reasons I like this Temple so much. It's BY the community FOR the community! And everyone in the Eplaya/Tribe ect burning heart community is welcome to participate!

So the idea is that the structure would be in the shape of a large Crane with it's wings providing shelter from the sun and having a viewing platform you can climb to on it's back. The symbolism behind the crane comes from the belief that gifting 1000 cranes to someone grants a wish. There will be origami crane folding stations and (moop-proof) coffins to place them and the associated wishes into to be burned. There is also thoughts to have a waterless "reflection pond" consisting of little bits of reflective materials and a burnable bridge over it.

Here are some of the construction renderings:

We could use additional help, so if you would like to participate, please check out this link: http://tribes.tribe.net/templeofcommunity and get in touch with Skirblah or Gothalot. Thanks
"Reach out, take a chance. Get hurt even. Play as well as you can.. LIVE!" Maude

myredcarpet

Post by myredcarpet » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:54 pm

Hey everyone ~ just trying to keep you updated about what's happening over at http://tribes.tribe.net/templeofcommunity. - RED

Hello fellow Theme Camp organizers.

The Rue Morgue and Temple of Community would like to offer you a challenge of a different ilk. Some of your crew is already on this project but we'd like to see a represented piece from your camp.

When we found out that Best wasn't doing a temple this year we started to embark on creating one for the community that each camp could be part of.

We are building a 20 - 30 foot origami crane from wood to burn. It will be a place of mourning, deep thought and release. To say goodbye to loved ones that have left this world.

We are asking various camps to build their own 5 foot version that can be placed next to the main structure in a circle to show that no mater how different we are together we are a community.

We will be happy to send you scaled down drawings but in the end its your art piece and we'd like you to make it yours. Use the skeleton as a base.

If you are interested in this challenge please contact me.

THIS OFFER IS OPEN TO UNREGISTERED AS WELL AS REGISTERED THEME CAMPS.

FOR Temple of Community INFO or to JOIN us go to: tribes.tribe.net/templeofcommunity

We also need financial contributions please.

Thank you for your continued support.

Gothalot
"Reach out, take a chance. Get hurt even. Play as well as you can.. LIVE!" Maude

dana

Post by dana » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:30 pm

mars wrote:(I need to figger out how to do this quote thing again--i forgot!)
Just click on the "quote" tab on the upper right of anyone's post you want to quote off of. Then delete whatever doesn't apply. simple! even I figured it out.

Well I have to agree, the whole "we don't want anything else in that space" (in case it really sucks and we get blamed for it? in case its really great and we don't get credit? because our egos are so huge, NONE shall dare to impinge on our greatness??)
Really, apart from whoever did the design, a lot of the work gets done by "just folks". I've worked on it on the years I went to BM. I like the idea of a new approach to the temple and if something like a giant origami sculpture gets put in the same place, I don't think too many people are going to think Best designed it.

One comment on the design. Not enough enclosure? Some of my favorite temple designs had these great spaces, sometimes with a more elaborate approach to the "inner sanctum". Say what you will about Best' ego and absurbities, but sometimes he really nailed some wonderful designs. I suspect something at least as compelling is hiding in our collective psyches.
I may get together with you folks to work on this. Where are you located?

mars

Post by mars » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:13 am

Just click on the "quote" tab on the upper right of anyone's post you want to quote off of. Then delete whatever doesn't apply. simple! even I figured it out.

Thanks for the "quote" tips, but it looks like that didn't work.

I agree with your thoughts about the enclosure/inner sanctum!

I hope you'll come over to Tribe and put in your 2cents:

http://tribes.tribe.net/templeofcommunity
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:57 am

mars wrote:Just click on the "quote" tab on the upper right of anyone's post you want to quote off of. Then delete whatever doesn't apply. simple! even I figured it out.

Thanks for the "quote" tips, but it looks like that didn't work.

I agree with your thoughts about the enclosure/inner sanctum!

I hope you'll come over to Tribe and put in your 2cents:

http://tribes.tribe.net/templeofcommunity
Make sure to UN-CHECK the "disable BBCode in this post" box. The default setting will not embed the BBCode required.
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill

myredcarpet

Post by myredcarpet » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:34 pm

Ah, someone WILL be building a temple at 12oclock.

basurasagrada.org

We will still be building our Temple of Community as well, and I have a feeling that there may be a few temples constructed around the playa this year. Does anyone have an opinion on whether having multiple "sacred spaces" will strengthen or dilute the spiritual experience??

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:13 pm

myredcarpet wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on whether having multiple "sacred spaces" will strengthen or dilute the spiritual experience??
I really can't see how having multiple sites of reflection and expression could dilute one's spiritual experience. I've gotten a lot from spending time, drawing and writing messages at "the" temple as well as at smaller temples and other sites that weren't identified as temples. The theme "Temple of Community" speaks its intent loud and clear and it won't be lessened in any way by the presence of other temples. If anything it's better to have these essential parts of the community decentralized and multiplied.

mars

Post by mars » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:37 pm

If anyone wants to donate funds to the Temple of Community, go to Pay Pal and use this recipient:

[email protected]

Especially for those of you who love the idea, but can't help in other ways. Support the people who are putting their time and sweat into the project...Let's make this happen!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Lujak

Post by Lujak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:56 am

Are you for trash or community? There is no in-between! When i hear the word community i reach for my checkbook. Long live trash. Down with community! We will be there when the community temple burns. Heretics.
Strengthen.
Absolutely.
It will be like Pirates vs. Ninjas!

RedheadBarbie

Post by RedheadBarbie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:21 pm

myredcarpet wrote:It will be a place of mourning, deep thought and release. To say goodbye to loved ones that have left this world.
I've been mulling this over in my head since I saw the first post about the temple and have not commented yet because I figured anything I had to say on the subject would offend. But...here goes. It quite frankly gives me the willies, the bit about people who have left this world. It is not based on community if a person such as myself has differing views on the afterlife. I'd love to see a temple for the community to worship, contemplate or reflect in their own spiritual way, just not designated for the deceased. I realize there will be other temples. I just wanted to let the coordinators of this know how it may be viewed by others of the non-Judeo-Christian beliefs.

myredcarpet

Post by myredcarpet » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Whaaa...? Mmmkay, there seems to be some confusion here. Let me see if I can help clarify some things.
Are you for trash or community? There is no in-between! When i hear the word community i reach for my checkbook. Long live trash. Down with community! We will be there when the community temple burns. Heretics.
We are the Temple of Community, NOT Basura Sagrada (sacred trash). When we heard David Best would not be building his Temple, we rallied together to try and fill this apparent void. Now that Basura Sagrada will be in the usual 12o'clock spot where David built his temple, it seems that the playa will not be lacking it's usual place for release. Our Temple of Community will be an alternate and unique place.
I'd love to see a temple for the community to worship, contemplate or reflect in their own spiritual way, just not designated for the deceased. I realize there will be other temples. I just wanted to let the coordinators of this know how it may be viewed by others of the non-Judeo-Christian beliefs.
RedheadBarbie, I completely agree and thank you for your input! I am not sure if any of those who are building the Temple of Community are Christian or otherwise ~ the topic of religion has never been discussed, it doesn't even have to be spiritual! Each of us has a different view about what this Temple means to us. Everyone who visits on the playa will bring thier own ideas about what it means to them. The COMMUNITY will make this Temple whatever they need or want ~ no limitations or boundaries.

The Temple of Community UNITES us on a unique level because of the many ways to interpret it. Whether we are putting to rest thoughts and feelings or memorabilia in coffins to be sacrificed by flame, hoping that our wishes will take flight on wings of a crane, or just reflecting in the "pools" on our hopes, fears, and dreams. To me, it is more of a celebration and a starting anew. We are even considering a sunrise burn to symbolize a new begining...

YOU EPLAYANS ARE PART OF THIS COMMUNITY! We WANT your input and your participation with this project ~ not just your money (though any contributions are greatly appreciated)! With your help, the Temple of Community will continue to evolve. I highly encourage you to visit us at http://tribes.tribe.net/templeofcommunity or PM me for ways to become involved. :wink:

Lujak

Post by Lujak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:41 pm

my bad.

vanessa cardui

Post by vanessa cardui » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:23 pm

Cool! We have 5 baby cranes so far being built by different camps and regions as part of the Temple of Community CHALLENGE! Thanks to the newest of participants ~ Stag Camp YAY! :D

Each group will be building a unique origami crane that represents those builing it. The gathering of these mulitple cranes will symbolize that tho we are individuals, together we are a community!

The main structure will have a burn platform large enough for the babies, so all your camp needs to do is make sure that your crane won't take flight on the playa winds!!
metamorphosize me

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:58 pm

RedheadBarbie wrote:It quite frankly gives me the willies, the bit about people who have left this world. It is not based on community if a person such as myself has differing views on the afterlife. I'd love to see a temple for the community to worship, contemplate or reflect in their own spiritual way, just not designated for the deceased. I realize there will be other temples. I just wanted to let the coordinators of this know how it may be viewed by others of the non-Judeo-Christian beliefs.
So far, of the people putting in time designing or actively working on the project, we have people of Jewish, Pagan, and Agnostic persuasions. Those are the ones I know anyway, there may well be many others. Regardless of what culture you hail from or faith you profess, every society has some way of marking the passage of those who have deceased. This temple is meant to fill that role, and to do so in a non-denominational fashion. It is being done so by various members of the community who have come together to make it happen. Nobody asked what kind of relationship I have with the divine when I started because for the purposes of this project, it's irrelevant. Just that I feel it to be important.

If you'd like to discuss it with me in more depth, feel free to PM me. I don't get onto eplaya much anymore, and the auto-notification is the best way to get my attention. Or pop over to the tribe referred to in the links, whichever.

(BTW - The whole crane symbolism is lifted from Japanese/Chinese/Korean traditions. Honestly, if you think this is an overt display of Chrstian mores, you really don't have anything to worry about.)

BloodVessel

Post by BloodVessel » Wed May 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks everyone. The responses are great to read and take in. As it is a public forum, and better still its a public (community) art piece I enjoy the feed back and it helps to keep the Temple of Community on track by knowing what everyone wants.

My job as the temple's organizer really in essence is just to steer it into the waters of the playa. To see that it gets completed and has some amount of focus and adheres to our original goals.

We all have different faiths and beliefs and this temple is designed to respect all of them as do all our crew.

At present a test burn has been done up north at a place we call fire mountain.

This was the small scale model to see how it would burn in its current shape. Ive learned alot from it. I'll be making some minor modifications, make the actual Crane more 3d and have some exciting burn features to go with that. No not fire works, sorry. We want it to be a calm and soothing burn. One that people will remember and feel happy when they walk away from it. Something to lift the spirit.

Like Pikey said, if you want to learn more, join the Temple of Community's tribe, or email me at : [email protected] or alternatively ; [email protected]
Gothalot
Creator-BloodVessel-Rue Morgue

BloodVessel

Post by BloodVessel » Wed May 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Oh an special thanks to RedCarpet, Vanessa, Pikey and others whom understand the projects goals and intent. You are the greatest! Thanks for fielding the questions!

:-)
Gothalot

BloodVessel

Latest Updates

Post by BloodVessel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:02 am

Much has been happening. Last week we had a very successful work weekend. The tail section went up. Looks awesome. In the next few weeks if we can raise the money we will begin the final phase of the bones and the head section. Its a huge undertaking. We need everyones help building and contributing.

If you REALLY want to get involved we can always use extra crew as well as donations.

For more info write to [email protected] or hit the many links already posted.

Our big push is July 5th in Santa Rosa so if you can make it let me know!

Email me at [email protected]

Thanks guys and gals, love ya!
Gothalot

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:22 am

I'm sorry if I missed that info, but I think everybody already knows & doesn't mention.. when is the temple burn? I figured it's Sunday Sept 1st, but what time? I need to book a flight & I don't wanna miss it.

BloodVessel

Post by BloodVessel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 am

We havent been scheduled a burn night yet.

The trash temple (Basura) Thats the ORG sponsored temple, is Sunday I think. They will be in the same location that the David Best temples were at. I know thats the space they got. They haven't told us where the Temple of Community will be yet.
Gothalot

vanessa cardui

Post by vanessa cardui » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Summer has been very productive so far ~ check out this video to see what we've been up to! Still more work to go and we'd love any support you can give. Thanks to all the contributions, both financial and physical so far!

[youtube][/youtube]
metamorphosize me

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:54 am

vanessa cardui wrote:Summer has been very productive so far ~ check out this video to see what we've been up to! Still more work to go and we'd love any support you can give. Thanks to all the contributions, both financial and physical so far!

[youtube][/youtube]

Very nice! I can't wait!

BloodVessel

Temple of Community

Post by BloodVessel » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:45 pm

Hijack away, lol . Its still party of the community.

Please be aware that we are one of the many temples and not to be misconstrued with the Basura one. They need love too. Thanks for your support. We are a burn and we are a temple focused on saying goodbye to the departed and the release and freedom this brings. The TOC is community based and we have many ways you can be part of it.

For more info on what The Temple of Community is go to our website: www.templeofcommunity.com
Gothalot

BloodVessel

Temple Promo video

Post by BloodVessel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:07 am

Also if you want to see the video of its development go here.

Gothalot

tetonshawn

Post by tetonshawn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:15 am

Hello all, I am with a camp from Wyoming that is interested in building one or more "baby cranes". I have been unable to track down the plans however. Could someone send me a link or email me the plans? We would love to participate. Thanks in advance. :D

BloodVessel

Post by BloodVessel » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:37 pm

I sent you a message. :-)

If anyone has questions you can write the Temple of Community at: [email protected] or the website www.templeofcommunity.com

The pdf plans thanks to Pikey's version crane are on there on the GET INVOLVED page, an easy download.

Peace everyone, cant wait to see you all on Playa!
Gothalot

Return to “2008 Art & Performance”