CHECKPOINT DREAMYOURTOPIA

dadara

Postby dadara » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:45 am

lonestoner916 wrote:

Your project is going to be great, I love it! You should definitely incorporate your "my bar is your bar" idea, that's genius all by itself, there should be one of those on every corner!

(If you guys build it, I promise to bring enough mini-bottles of assorted liquor to stock it up for a couple of nights! :twisted: )

I'm looking forward to getting those mini-bottles of assorted liquor for "my bar is your bar" and maybe next year we'll franchise and have them on every corner indeed. Mac MyBarIsYourBar :twisted:

As far as the Dreamyourtopia project itself is concerned, I'm still looking around for a Burner-friendly printer in the United States to print the Passport and Dream Currency.

lonestoner916

Postby lonestoner916 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:21 pm

dadara wrote:
lonestoner916 wrote:

Your project is going to be great, I love it! You should definitely incorporate your "my bar is your bar" idea, that's genius all by itself, there should be one of those on every corner!

(If you guys build it, I promise to bring enough mini-bottles of assorted liquor to stock it up for a couple of nights! :twisted: )

I'm looking forward to getting those mini-bottles of assorted liquor for "my bar is your bar" and maybe next year we'll franchise and have them on every corner indeed. Mac MyBarIsYourBar :twisted:

As far as the Dreamyourtopia project itself is concerned, I'm still looking around for a Burner-friendly printer in the United States to print the Passport and Dream Currency.

It's a deal! I have a dozen or so already and I'll start picking up a different one everytime I hit the 7-11! :twisted: I'll spread the word around on tribe.net and see if I can't find that printer for you. Keep up the good work :!:

prophet
Burning Since: 2016

dreaming songs

Postby prophet » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:17 am

"I'm gonna meet you on the astral plane"
Jonathan Richman

"I'll let you be in my dreams if you'll let me be in yours"
Bob Dylan said that
self-fulfilling prophet

dadara

Postby dadara » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:15 pm

thanks for all the Dream Quotes. Some have made/will make it to the website, others to the Passport to the Land of Dreams.

Something else:
The walls of the compound will act as a blank canvas for Burners to express themselves. Similar to the aesthetics of the Berlin Wall in the past and the Palestinian Wall nowadays, these expressions might vary from urban graffiti and street art to idealistic thoughts and slogans.

I'm a bit worried though about all the talk that goes around about people who tag and vandalize art becoming a real big Problem nowadays on the Playa. (Last time I went in 2004 it didn't seem to be a problem still)
I read about it in the JRS newsletter and was warned by BMorg myself about it.

So I'm providing taggers and graffiti artist and whoever feels like expressing themselves with a Public Stage, BUT..............I don't want the big Skull, which I will paint with an intricate Brainpattern, to be tagged.

What would the solution be? Clearly indicate with Warning Signs that people should not destroy this part of the Installation? Ask the community to help me with constantly 24 hours a day having people on guard to watch that the skull won't get tagged? Have an open invitation for graffiti crews who might be on Playa to create something beautiful and use it as a full time stage for their talents, so they act as an example and at the same time can watch out? Use special anti-graffiti coating on the skull and clean every day? or........any other suggestions?

Input welcomed!

It might be a thin line betweeen art and vandalism, but there definitely is a line.........
Also people from Bliin here in Amsterdam are helping me enhance the project with some technical GPS technology. They have a few questions about mobile phone data plans in the US. Sometimes things that might be quite simple are difficult to find out from abroad. We're not trying to re-invent the wheel, but want to get rolling!
Check: http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=23828

blyslv

Postby blyslv » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:10 pm

This one project is making me reconsider my decision not to attend. What an awesome idea.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

thisisthatwhichis

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:29 pm

dadara wrote:What would the solution be? Clearly indicate with Warning Signs that people should not destroy this part of the Installation? Ask the community to help me with constantly 24 hours a day having people on guard to watch that the skull won't get tagged? Have an open invitation for graffiti crews who might be on Playa to create something beautiful and use it as a full time stage for their talents, so they act as an example and at the same time can watch out? Use special anti-graffiti coating on the skull and clean every day? or........any other suggestions?

Input welcomed!

It might be a thin line betweeen art and vandalism, but there definitely is a line.........

Yes, yes, and yes...... A witty sign out front would help, and also alert the community, that you want the "Dream art" inside and not outside.
You will never know for sure, but it will help. Worse comes to worse, you'll have to re-paint over the unwanted "art"...... :roll:
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

RedheadBarbie

Postby RedheadBarbie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:22 am

I love that you'll give a space for the graf artists. If you need help guarding or anything else we'd love to help.

dadara

Postby dadara » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:29 pm

RedheadBarbie wrote:I love that you'll give a space for the graf artists. If you need help guarding or anything else we'd love to help.

an offer I can't refuse......

I'm leaving to the States on the 1st of April (seriously) for the next step into the "real" world. The Dreamyourtopia website http://www.dreamyourtopia.com has a blog added as well:
http://dreamyourtopia.blogspot.com , where you'll be able to follow the progress of it all.......

And as an extra bonus I just uploaded the " Fall and Rise of the Fools Ark " part animated, part documentary movie about my previous playa projects!
check:
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=23846

dadara

Postby dadara » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:36 am

I finished creating the Dream Currency for my Dreamyourtopia Project!
I want to print a lot of them to hand out to people who complete procedures to enter their own Dreams at the Checkpoint.
Before those Dream Notes make their way into the real world, I wanted to share them virtually with you.

The feeling of those painted Dream Bills might get lost though in digital translation.
So I included a few details to give that painted, detailed feeling on your computer screen as well........

http://www.dreamyourtopia.com

pinemom

Postby pinemom » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:12 am

very nice! Dadara,
Love the art work and bright colors!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:40 am

Waaay cool. Good work , that.

Who do I have to bribe to get some of that dreaminess?
(humor, that's my wonky version of humor)
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

dadara

Postby dadara » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:23 am

I'm in the States right now. Did some woodwork and silkscreen printing in New Mexico, drove down to Texas and am currently in Dallas, staying in the Central Trak artist residency http://www.centraltrak.org, where I'll present my Checkpoint Dreamyourtopia Project http://www.dreamyourtopia.com for the first time to the "real" world during the opening exhibition of Central Track - "False Space and Time of the Apartment" from April 19th - June 3rd

Opening Reception will be Saturday, April 19th 6.00 PM - 9.00 PM
Central Trak Gallery, 800 Exposition Avenue, Dallas, TX 75226

On the Dreamyourtopia Blog: http://dreamyourtopia.blogspot.com you can stay updated of all new developments.

Still 143 days and you can get your necessary visa to enter your own Dreamworld!

dadara

Postby dadara » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:57 pm

Last night we finished version 1.0 of a 3D animation of the Checkpoint Dreamyourtopia project. I'm very excited: it almost looks like it already is on Playa!

Here it is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75c3dDZLDI[/youtube]

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:07 pm

very nice.
I'm hoping to volunteer, if you have need, while there.

Ygmir
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP
Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.

Postby CLARKcon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:33 am

dadara- I've read, I've thought about it, and I believe :D The project sounds g o r g e o u s... I hope/know it will come to fruition. Can't wait to see it in the dust :wink:
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."

dadara

Postby dadara » Fri May 02, 2008 1:56 pm

As you can see, Recruitment for the Department of Dreamland Security Guards has started and we are recruiting them as young as possible!
This provides us with the Opportunity to prevent the serious Threat of the Brainwashing of our Youth by Anarchist Dream Activist Groups endangering the existing Treaty as Established during the Second Convention of Utopia between Reality and the DreamWorld.......

To Protect and to Serve.

Department of Dreamland Security

http://dreamyourtopia.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75c3dDZLDI[/url]

dadara

Postby dadara » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:12 am

My-Bar-is-Your-Bar has been dismantled and is right now crossing the Atlantic Ocean. For sure bringing my own bar to the States will make me feel more at home. I guess it's one of those travel necessities everybody should have in their luggage :D

Less than 24 hours left before boarding the plane to the US!

lonestoner916 wrote:

I really hope more people will bring booze to the bar ( and not necessarily only min-bottles LOL )

lonestoner916

Yes, give this man and his crew your liquor!

Postby lonestoner916 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:00 pm

The "mini-bar" is coming along nicely! 8)

dadara

Postby dadara » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:28 am

for anyone from the San Francisco area interested in my Checkpoint Dreamyourtopia project ( or some of the other art grant projects )

I'll give a presentation at the Desert Arts Preview:

Burning Man
2008 Desert Arts Preview
Thursday, July 17th
Burning Man Headquarters

Masters of Ceremonies: $teven Ra$pa and Bettie June

6:30-7:00 Wine reception

7:00-7:15 Welcome & Overview of Burning Man 2008 Theme and Artist Grants
by LadyBee and Beth Scarborough

7:20-7:30 Mike Thielvoldt and Lira Filippini -- Lepidodgera

7:35-7:45 Michael Emery – You Are All So Many Of Me

7:50-8:00 Gene and Naomi Cooper – Heart of Burning Man

8:05-8:15 Jared Gallardo -- The Amazing Jellyfish From The Year 2012

8:20-8:30 Philip Raiser -- Babylon

8:35-8:45 Dadara – Checkpoint Dreamyourtopia

8:50-9:10 Intermission

9:15-9:25 Crimson Rose – Black Rock Arts Foundation

9:30-9:40 False Profit Labs -- Pyrocardium

9:45-9:55 Peter Hudson -- Tantalus

10:00-10:10 Flaming Lotus Girls – Mutopia

10:15-10:25 Tucker Teusch – Basura Sagrada

10:30-10:40 Question and Answers

Nothing

Postby Nothing » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:23 am

Hey folks, first post here...

Here's couple dream quotes I thought were pretty sweet.

Unfortunately, the balance of nature decrees that a super-abundance of dreams is paid for by a growing potential for nightmares. -Peter Ustinov

My eyes are an ocean in which my dreams are reflected. -Anna M. Uhlich

Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real. -Tupac Shakur

dadara

Postby dadara » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:48 am

Nothing wrote:Hey folks, first post here...

Here's couple dream quotes I thought were pretty sweet.

Unfortunately, the balance of nature decrees that a super-abundance of dreams is paid for by a growing potential for nightmares. -Peter Ustinov

My eyes are an ocean in which my dreams are reflected. -Anna M. Uhlich

Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real. -Tupac Shakur

After being immersed and submersed into this Dreamworld for the past few months going deeper and deeper inside those realms which only occasionally percolate into the stratosphere of Reality, I came up with my own quote.

" A new Reality is only a Dream Away "

It's not that I have that big of an Ego to put myself in the league of big Dreamers featured on the http://www.dadara.nl/checkpoint/dreamquotes.htm page, but I thought a Dadara project should have at least one Dadara quote.......

Checkpoint Dreamyourtopia -
a Border Control Checkpoint to enter your own Dreams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75c3dDZLDI
http://dreamyourtopia.blogspot.com

dadara

DREAMYOURTOPIA BORDER PATROL CAR

Postby dadara » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:47 pm

I wanted to keep you posted on an exciting new development in the Dreamyourtopia project:

I am currently working with the people of Skinz on getting my Chevy Caprice stationwagon transformed into a Dreamyourtopia Border Patrol Car, so the Department of Dreamland Security can drive around in the desert and randomly arrest unsuspecting citizens :twisted:

Anyone not carrying proper ID's might be arrested and taken into Checkpoint Dreamyourtopia for further interrogation, which might lead to issuing the Passport to the Land of Dreams, thus preventing any future problems.

After all the Department of Dreamland Security is here to protect and to serve!

dadara

Signing off Duty

Postby dadara » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:04 pm

it was an amazing two and half weeks in the desert.

Thanks to everyone who went through immigration ( we processed more than 2000 forms! )and managed to get their Passports to the Land of Dreams, you were all amazing!

We're now on our way back to Dallas, Amsterdam and other places around the globe trying hard to decompress and dedust.

Keep on Dreamin'

somekind

Postby somekind » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:40 pm

I'd like to take a moment to compliment dadara on his dedication to this installation. This was one of the first things that I saw at BM this year and I had a fantastic time getting my passport. It was around one A.M. and things were a little wacky!!

I spent the next five days telling everyone that I talked to to go to the passport station before the passports ran out. My campmates went the next day and loved it.

Thanks for the passport and the extra dream dollars. I love them.

I talked to some people who were put off by the attitude of the security officers and turned and left. Not too smart!! Open your eyes, people!

Well done.
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

Toolmaker

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:46 pm

I thought it was awesome.. especially the whole mild S&M fascista overtones. Thanks you for such a wonderful gift.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

sattelite5812

Postby sattelite5812 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:10 pm

This was THE most interactive display I've seen in my meager couple of years on Playa, and quite ingeniously dreamed up!

My roommate and I cherish our passports and memories :) I would LOVE to volunteer at the Checkpoint next year... providing there will be one... won't there?!?

falk

Postby falk » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:45 pm

somekind wrote:I'd like to take a moment to compliment dadara on his dedication to this installation....

Well done.

I only saw it when it was closed, but it looked awesome. Also, a friend from my camp actually got one of the passports -- very well done.

Congratulations!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:29 pm

Any more pictures, vids?

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:42 pm

Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

fciron

Postby fciron » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:42 pm

The Checkpoint was one of my favorite installations. I got my passport Monday night/Tuesday morning after the dust storm when you all were still working.

I came back Friday with my new gal. Two people said "fuck this!" and stomped off while she was doing the paperwork. When she got it finished I stepped up with my passport and a Clif bar. "I am sponsoring this young lady. I already have a passport."

As soon as the guard finished eating we bypassed the whole line (he did make her draw a self portrait.)

Personally I am trying to put the same answers in the physical and dream world parts of the form so I say "Mr. Dadara, Tear down this wall."

I now have to go hang my head in shame for paraphrasing Reagan.

Return to “2008 Art & Performance”