Music Genre-based Camp Suggestions

Gage
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Music Genre-based Camp Suggestions

Post by Gage » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:51 pm

So, back in the day, I was a HUGE industrial head... Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Nine Inch Nails, etc... Not to mention we pretty much love all types of music, especially House, Rock, Dance, Industrial, Alternative, Reggae, and many others...

My question is:

What camps would everyone recommend (or are personally hosting) for certain types of music? I'm looking for suggestions for:

- Good House Music - Tiesto/Van Dyk/Corsten/Etc...

- Industrial - NIN/Skinny Puppy/Front242/Etc...

- Late Industrial/Goth - KoRn/Manson/Lords of Acid/Etc

- Punk - Any/All

- The Best Chill (Rock) - Portishead-ish

- The Best Chill (Ambient/Trance) - Deep Dish/Sasha&Digweed/Etc...

- The Best Chill (Tropical) - Sade-ish

- Reggae/Best Classic Rock

- 80's/90's (Rock) - Depeche Mode/The Smiths/Beastie Boys/Etc...

- 80's/90's (Dance/Hip Hop) - Prince/Michael Jackson/NKOTB/Madonna/Etc

Just looking for info that you do know about, not speculation. I think others will benefit from this info as well... :) I want to hit up some places that are playing different types of music, and kinda pre-plan by notating their locations...

xOXo
Seeker & Creator of Present-Moment Magic! <3

Arantele

Post by Arantele » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:23 pm

I to would like to know where i could hear some good goth rock and house.. if anyone knows.. would be much appreciated

zabsinth

Post by zabsinth » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:44 pm

It's too late for this year, but I think that the community would really appreciate an Aerosmith theme camp.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 pm

I like Led Zeppelin.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Nick Collide

Post by Nick Collide » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:43 pm

The B(o)(o)by Bar has a different theme every night and music to go along with that theme:

Monday - Requests by the camp members - widely ranging from hard rock to lounge to acoustic.
Tuesday - 80's anthem rock (used by exotic dancers in the finest locations) and whatever else the DJ brings along.
Wednesday - Classic 60's Rock.
Thursday - Opera until midnight and then Mash-Ups 'til Sun-up
Friday - Sparkling 80's pop - and whatever else the DJ brings along.
Saturday - All genres - but the song must have "fire" "burn" or "smoke" in the title.

See The Booby Bar 2008! thread for not much more information. :D

CornStar
Camp Name: Camp ShitShow!

Post by CornStar » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:20 am

We're having a Talking Heads themed bar ... but I don't know where we're camping. If you dig the idea you might ask around, someone might have found us.
Who wants to do a Dunkaroo?!

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 am

Stopping by the Booby Bar fO shO... just not sure which night yet... lol

photonkev

Post by photonkev » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Mutant Audio Outpost - Experimental, strange, noise, unusual, stuff not-fitting-in-other-genres, probably industrial or electro as long as it wasn't too danceable

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:52 pm

I tend to just wander along and veer into something that has musical gravity. Cruising through Burning Man and not finding musical-genre camps is like strolling Bourbon Street and not seeing drunks.

If it's your first burn, go out into the deep playa until you hear the thump from the 2 o'clock corner converge with the music from the 10 o'clock end plus whatever's happening in between. At various points, you'll find rhythmic nodes and suddenly you've got a unique soundtrack, a mile across, that only you can hear and nobody else in the world ever will. Fuck, that's cool!

Meanwhile have some KMFDM:

IF I COULD LEAVE MY BURNING SKIN
THAT HAS BEEN USED UP IN YOUR SIN
IS THERE A TINY PART OF ME
UNTOUCHED-UNSOILED BY MISERY

I AM THE CITY THAT WILL LIE
YOU ARE THE ONE THAT BLAME PASSED BY
THIS IS THE PLACE WHERE I WILL WEEP
THE LONELINESS OF SWEET CONCEIT

BE MINE SISTER SALVATION
JUKE JOINT JEZEBEL IS COMING FOR MY CREMATION
BE MINE SISTER SALVATION
CLOSER NOW- SEE THE REVELATION
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

BunnyBoobs

Re: Music Genre-based Camp Suggestions

Post by BunnyBoobs » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:28 pm

[b][quote][b][quote="GageNdG"]
My question is:

What camps would everyone recommend (or are personally hosting) for certain types of music? I'm looking for suggestions for:

- [b]Good[/b] House Music - Tiesto/Van Dyk/Corsten/Etc...

- xOXo[/quote][/b]
[/quote][/b]

Funny how you assign a value judgement to your perception of GOOD house music. First of all, Tiesto and Van Dyk are considered more TRANCE DJs than house. I'm a HUGE house head and I've never even heard of Corsten.

To address the 2nd part of your question, I heard music similar to Tiesto/Van Dyk, etc quite a bit there. Wasn't hard to find at all. Big domes pumping that stuff and art cars blazing it pretty regularly.

What I'm looking for out there is DEEP HOUSE music. Anyone know where that lies? Sadly, I don't think there is too much of that out there. Might be too mellow for the playa vibe.[quote][/quote]

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:11 am

BunnyBoobs wrote:
GageNdG wrote: My question is:

- Good House Music - Tiesto/Van Dyk/Corsten/Etc...

- xOXo

Funny how you assign a value judgement to your perception of GOOD house music. First of all, Tiesto and Van Dyk are considered more TRANCE DJs than house. I'm a HUGE house head and I've never even heard of Corsten.

To address the 2nd part of your question, I heard music similar to Tiesto/Van Dyk, etc quite a bit there. Wasn't hard to find at all. Big domes pumping that stuff and art cars blazing it pretty regularly.

What I'm looking for out there is DEEP HOUSE music. Anyone know where that lies? Sadly, I don't think there is too much of that out there. Might be too mellow for the playa vibe.
Bunnyboobs~

1) Click on the 'Disable BB code in the post' to make sure your quotes work in the future. :)
2) Yes, Tiesto is considered Trance, but still falls under the classification of House, which is a general term for the overall type of dance music.
3) If you haven't heard of Ferry Corsten, do a search and you'll recognize some of his songs, guaranteed.
4) Lastly, I'm also looking for Deep House, and that's the reason I even posted this thread - to find out where all the different types of music would be located at and especially on what nights..

We will be riding around and gravitating towards the music we love best. The good Djs know how to attract... :)

And ZB, I'man old school KMFDM fan... thanks for that! :)

5 days to playa and counting...

BunnyBoobs

Post by BunnyBoobs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:52 am

GageNdG wrote:
BunnyBoobs wrote:

GageNDG-

Thanks for the quoting tip. :)

I just heard from a DJ today named Dj JuicyJay. He said, "SEXY ELECTRO HOUSE!! I'm camping at DUSTFISH 9/ESPLANADE Superstar DJ JuicyJay"

Of course he didn't say WHEN but hell, I'll go by and check it out regardless.

Our camp, THAT CAMP has an art car this year that we'll be bumping deep house from as well. The Art Car is called "Pipe Dream" so if you see a vehicle with a shitload of pipes on it and a double helix off the front playing house music, that's us! :)

I'll check out Corsten. Thanks for the tip!

BunnyBoobs

Post by BunnyBoobs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:54 am

GageNdG wrote:
BunnyBoobs wrote:

GageNDG-

I just heard from a DJ today named Dj JuicyJay. He said, "SEXY ELECTRO HOUSE!! I'm camping at DUSTFISH 9/ESPLANADE Superstar DJ JuicyJay"

Our camp, THAT CAMP has an art car this year that we'll be bumping deep house from as well. The Art Car is called "Pipe Dream" so if you see a vehicle with a shitload of pipes on it and a double helix off the front playing house music, that's us! :)

BunnyBoobs

Post by BunnyBoobs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:57 am

GageNdG wrote:
BunnyBoobs wrote:

GageNDG-

Kenny Z
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: United Nations

Post by Kenny Z » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:01 pm

GageNdG wrote:So, back in the day, I was a HUGE industrial head... Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Nine Inch Nails, etc..

Keep your eye out for a small red, white and blue mutant vehicle with a small trailer. My favorite band is Front 242 so I play a lot of that from the vehicle. I actually have a few of their vinyl records from when I was in High School. I play quite a bit from Re-Boot. I'm also playing a lot of KMFDM (& MDFMK), Front Line Assembly, Nitzer Ebb and much more.

However, this year I'm going to mix it up with a lot more genres.

Good music taste (well in my opinion).

Return to “2008 Art & Performance”