Opera Camp at Burning Man??

EL Wire

Opera Camp at Burning Man??

Post by EL Wire » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:40 pm

Stretch Wire from Norway is going to Burning Man for the first time in 2008 camping with Camp Herring.

I promised him to ask if there is an Opera Camp at Burning Man or just a camp playing or performing Opera in 2008.

Are there??

He is a BIG Opera fan and he sings too!

All cats love fish but fear to wet their paws.
--------
Terminal City BM 08: http://www.apokiliptika.com/terminal_city_page.htm

EL Wire

Post by EL Wire » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:09 pm

I got Stretch Wire up and running with his first PC last week
Gifting him this thread for him to get to know the Burning Man community and practice English before his arrival.

Any Opera fans out there wanting to speak with Stretch Wire??

All cats love fish but fear to wet their paws.
--------
Terminal City BM 08: http://www.apokiliptika.com/terminal_city_page.htm

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:42 pm

Puccini or Verdi? Always thought it'd be cool to do the ring cycle out there - one each night, and Wagner fits with a certain cCamp's theme...

Welcome, Stretchwire. We look forward to hearing your voice awaken us at 2 AM!!!

Listen to El, tho... Practice your English. Skype people. Get on line! Do what you can to immerse yourself. If you can, even think about... I don't know, online courses like Rosetta Stone (I'm doing the Russian one now - wow!!!) And most important, don't be shy... Practice, practice, practice! Lose your self consciousness, and just say it. If it sounds funny, remember the words "I'm a herring - we don't normally speak your strange language!"

And yes, English *is* a strange language - everything is all convoluted in a sentence. Confusing until you get the feel of it. Not unlike Russian!

bb

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:49 pm

Of course, there's a special place in my heart for Wagner. I admit I enjoy opera, but am not enough of a fan to talk about it with any intelligence.

Do you think there are enough trained singers who would put their voice to the hazards of the playa to put on some spiffy production or other?
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:27 pm

The gal that sings the opera before Thunderdome does its thing - was incredible. I hear she is a professional and it shows.

check it out yourself.

later

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:20 pm

mdmf007 wrote:The gal that sings the opera before Thunderdome does its thing - was incredible. I hear she is a professional and it shows.
Diva Marisa
http://www.marisalenhardt.com/

She's an amazing singer!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:39 pm

I do Puccini, I do Verdi. Wagner leaves me solidly asleep. I do like documentary of the Ring Cycle stage hands and it has a great title "Sing Faster." I think Figaro would be an interesting person on the playa, all that bargaining and arranging is a definite "mode" there. Or we could just have a compendium of Mad Scenes. That's sort of fitting.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:40 pm

Yay compendium of mad scenes!

sniff but how could you disparage my theme song?!
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:50 pm

It's afternoon, so it no longer smells like victory.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:36 pm

Eric wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:The gal that sings the opera before Thunderdome does its thing - was incredible. I hear she is a professional and it shows.
Diva Marisa

She's an amazing singer!
I thought her name sounded familiar - she sings at St Margaret-Mary's in Oakland - my old home parish!

Oh yeah, she is an AMAZING soprano.

bb

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm a dolt about discussing it, but I adore opera and would love to see more on the playa!

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm

I'd love to see someone pull off La Boheme... it's one of my favorites, and could be skewed to the playa...

Lucia is a close second...

Butterfly, however, is all about life on the playa - has the romance, the glitz, the jilted lover, etc...

I could see it - the Black Rock City Philharmonic Orchestra and Opera Company present... Madame Cockroach!

WHEEE!!!!

bb

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:31 pm

Diva Marisa's performance was awesome. Such passion and a great voice. Opera is hard enough to sing in a proper environment. To sing on playa in with the dust and still sound beautiful I find impressive.

Kudos to Marisa

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:39 pm

So after waiting for 2 years, Butterfly finally sees Pinkerton's art car, the Abraham Lincoln and sets out a bunch of MOOPy flowers with her campmate?

Although, Un bel di stands as one of the five best soprano arias...
The Lady with a Lamprey

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:00 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Butterfly, however, is all about life on the playa - has the romance, the glitz, the jilted lover, etc...
Oh God, yes. M. Butterfly is a story about the ULTIMATE Playa-flake.

Eugene Opera is performing it this year and I GOT A TICKET! And apologies Fishy, but I understand the SF Opera is mounting another production of the Ring Cycle in 2010. I'm making solid plans to attend all four performances because I missed it when I was living there and I have "witness the Ring Cycle" on my list of "Things To Do Before I Die."

We had several opera-league singers in Pepe's Opera camp, but we've long since splintered and scattered like so many wisteria seeds. But if a group can get a historical opera performance together, more power to ya!

Very much agree that <i>La Boheme</i> would be very apropo to Burners. When I saw it with my friend Kevin, we sat there in the audience thinking, "My God. We know these people. We <i>ARE</i> these people!!!" Maybe Mimi can die of cancer instead of consumption? They go on walkabout on the Esplanade on Burn Night instead of Christmas Eve? We certainly have painters, sculptors, philosophers and poets covered.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:56 pm

Yeah, but how is the basso going to sell his coat?
The Lady with a Lamprey

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:04 am

diane o'thirst wrote: I have "witness the Ring Cycle" on my list of "Things To Do Before I Die."
My other half (who is the one who got me interested in it, BTW) saw one of them when she was in NYC on a layover enroute to Moscow not too long ago - the Kirov Opera was doing the full cycle there, and wow. Shesez it was like a whole new dimension. NOT like the time SF did theirs. Sooo.... next time we go to Russia it's a must do!
theCryptofishist wrote: So after waiting for 2 years, Butterfly finally sees Pinkerton's art car, the Abraham Lincoln and sets out a bunch of MOOPy flowers with her campmate?
A steam warship to replace the Contessa?? YES!!!!! Build it out of plate, then tell the guy up there that torched the Contessa "Here, you bastage, burn *this*! Have it set so when someone approaches have it launch a suitably war-like cannonball at them. heh heh heh...

Oh - The coat? he goes to Center Camp and barters it for a cuppa Espresso... which he then uses... um... It's convoluted, but hey, it's opera. It's SUPPOSED to be convoluted!

diane o'thirst wrote: Very much agree that <i>La Boheme</i> would be very apropo to Burners. When I saw it with my friend Kevin, we sat there in the audience thinking, "My God. We know these people. We <i>ARE</i> these people!!!" Maybe Mimi can die of cancer instead of consumption? They go on walkabout on the Esplanade on Burn Night instead of Christmas Eve? We certainly have painters, sculptors, philosophers and poets covered.
Or Dehydration. Wasting away in front of everyone's eyes, too proud to ask for water...

But I could see it... Instead of a writer, make him a hatmaker... keeping a burn barrel going by throwing in... stetson hats. The ones Larry wouldn't buy, because the old one was good enough. )giggles(

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:47 am

And Musetta sends the guy she came with to BRC Boutique for a new pair of platforms.
The Lady with a Lamprey

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Eric wrote:
Diva Marisa

She's an amazing singer!
And a very nice person to boot! :)

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:41 pm

La Boheme would be so wrong. It wouldn't work as a "playa-drama" though because the whole story is about burner-types interacting with the real world.

Hm. an ironclad... My father worked on the fort where the Monitor was stationed for a while (of course, right across the James from where the Merrimack was stationed), so I got more than my share of that history. It's a wonderful idea! I think modeling after the Merrimack would be prettier, as the monitor looked... well, pretty dull in comparison. Probably a pretty easy project... but I DIGRESS. We were talking about OPERA.

So. I have to admit I don't know La Boheme's character names, but the old guy who was sponsoring whats-her-name and she sent him off to buy shoes or something and they ran off and left him with the tab? Even he belongs on the playa. Think in terms of theme camps...

Yes, indeed. If you're an opera fan, La Boheme is the best representation of the types of people who become burners I think there is,

Phreddiva

Post by Phreddiva » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:44 am

check it out yourself.

later
!!! *thank you*! Did you do this recording? Thank you for the kind words.

And thanks for this view of myself that I've never seen. :):):)

Phreddiva

Post by Phreddiva » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:45 am

Eric wrote:
Diva Marisa

She's an amazing singer!
:):):)
(thank you) /blush
Captain Badger directed me here.
Thank you.

Phreddiva

Post by Phreddiva » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:47 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
Eric wrote:
Diva Marisa

She's an amazing singer!
I thought her name sounded familiar - she sings at St Margaret-Mary's in Oakland - my old home parish!

Oh yeah, she is an AMAZING soprano.

bb
Hiiiiiiii!!! (thank you!!!)

Phreddiva

Post by Phreddiva » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:49 am

mdmf007 wrote:Diva Marisa's performance was awesome. Such passion and a great voice. Opera is hard enough to sing in a proper environment. To sing on playa in with the dust and still sound beautiful I find impressive.

Kudos to Marisa
/blush/blush/blush
*THANK YOU*
Keeping my voice healthy on the playa is a feat. I have, at times, lost my voice for days at a time out there. But it's always worth it when it comes back. Thank you so much.

Phreddiva

Post by Phreddiva » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:50 am

capjbadger wrote:
Eric wrote:
Diva Marisa

She's an amazing singer!
And a very nice person to boot! :)

Badger
;)
Thank you.
Totally overwhelmed by all of this.
Thank you.

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:22 pm

Phreddiva wrote: ;)
Thank you.
Totally overwhelmed by all of this.
Thank you.
Ahh.. I see you got here. Good. :) *hugs*
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:31 pm

Phreddiva wrote:(thank you) /blush
No, thank you Marisa! Your amazing voice has brought pleasure to a lot of people!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Stretch Wire 1

Post by Stretch Wire 1 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:19 pm

HELLO :D This is Stretchwire Thanks for all the replies, i did not think that it would be so many who would care about Opera :!:
I LOVE IT :!: [/list]

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:34 pm

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Everyone welcome Stretch wire!!! his first american internet post!

(great english I might ad, its even backwards like us!)
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:32 pm

ITYM: us like backwards.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “2008 Theme Camps”