The Right Camp- Suggestions?

lovelymoon

The Right Camp- Suggestions?

Post by lovelymoon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:55 pm

Just wondering how people relatively new to BM find the right camp for them.

So I worked at a new camp last year that was far from organized and I am willing to work/help out as much as I can at a different camp as long as they aren't too disorganized.

I am a filmmaker, sculpture, dancer, and drummer. I haven't welded in over a year, but I was not bad and am a fast learner. I know how to put together a great meal on the Playa or anywhere in the matter of minutes, I am creative, and not bad at figuring out technology.

Let's see I have some background with massage and hands on healing, I like to skip around & sing, & throw together crazy outfits too.

I don't know what else- I like building things, I like motorcycles, and know some german, japanese, and understand alot of spanish (so i'm into language and communicating with people of all backgrounds).

I am up for anything, so if you have an idea of a good camp for me, hit me up. I am hard working, reliable, but currently bound to the East coast until spring time.

Smiles:)
Lovelymoon (aka Melody)
When I'm caught between two evils, I like to take the one I never tried.
-Mae West

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:20 pm

I'd suggest going to local burningman events and regionals. You're bound to find people who are doing the sorts of things you want to do.

You don't really say what you want in a camp. You didn't say the people weren't nice or anything about the people except they were disorganized. So? They don't need to organize anything for you. It sounds like you want people who are working on something and will follow it through to completion with your help? You want to be a part of something bigger than you can do on your own and don't want to get left without adequate help? Without more detail I doubt you'll find good help. You sound like a nice active person, but were the people you went with just not nice active people too?
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

lovelymoon

you're right

Post by lovelymoon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:37 pm

I will try to make it to playa del fuego this year and see if i find a good group to connect with there, but also wanted to start talking to others sooner rather than later and see what is going on.

As for the camp i was in '07- it was not that fun, there really was no sense of community, but we didn't really throw together group events that could have made us actually feel like we were apart of something. i don't want to be negative, but i don't think it was the right camp for me.

I want to be in a camp with people who are working on something and that will follow it through to completion, who are looking for active participants. I am not planning on forming my own camp, but would love to participate in a camp that needs help building and/or creating art or entertainment.
When I'm caught between two evils, I like to take the one I never tried.
-Mae West

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:09 pm

As for the camp i was in '07- it was not that fun, there really was no sense of community, but we didn't really throw together group events that could have made us actually feel like we were apart of something.
Ahh. Expectations. Didn't anyone ever tell you to leave those at home? It actually pretty easy to bring people together yourself. Stone soup is one easy way to get people together. You can also set up a nice chill space that people want to be in and maybe bring a keg of something good (I'm partial to pear cider). By investing a couple hundred dollar in setting up something like that you can really bring people together. Bring a piece of interactive art or be the art yourself.

I know none of that helps you find a camp, but a lot of us have found that people let you down so if you look to yourself to do the bringing together and community, it's better than hoping others will do it.

I typically find a few camps that I get along with, and though I've always loved my camp I end up spending a lot of time at my camps away from camp. Even if you find a great camp for 08 you might try to branch out. We're all your family. Some of us are your drunk perverted uncle and others are your crazy little niece who likes to break and burn things, but nonetheless, we're family. Remember, no expectations. Leave those at home and all of a sudden you find everything you didn't know you wanted.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:37 am

Great words Mike! great!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

akmojo

Post by akmojo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 am

it's amazing what you can find when you aren't looking....
think big and dare to fail

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am

Over the years I have gone to many conventions.. There is one thing I try to do each time.. That is to not hang with the people from my own area..

This practice has netted me many new and long term friends..

I try to encourage this with the others from my area.. Now I do this at Burning Man..

I and my camp mate, camp in open camp areas and end up with nice folk around us..

(used the hell out of the word camp)

scootert

Post by scootert » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi Lovelymoon,

Sounds like you'll be a creative and friendly asset to any camp. The advice others gave is good and true. On the other hand, a lot of times when someone creates a post like yours, someone quickly replies with an offer to join their camp. That's probably more likely to happen if the post goes up in the summer.

My "camp" this year is also kind of new (just our second year not being part of a larger camp). So, at this moment, we are not as organized as we want to be. But we're planning on doing a pretty good job of it. There will probably be about 15 of us. We'll have an art car, and we're also bringing our live band and will create a performance/party. We're from the Bay Area, not very rowdy and loud compared to some, but we definitely have fun. Smart folks, very nice and good natured, witty, some of us are older, family types.

So, if that sounds appealing to you, maybe send me a private message so we know how to reach each other, and you can consider us an option as you continue your planning.

Thanks,

Scott

ericg_wisc

Villaging it

Post by ericg_wisc » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Ever consider Villaging it? Try Snowflake Village: www.clevian.com/snowflake2008

We cater to the long-distance traveler. We are one of the oldest and stablest outfits on the Playa. Well-organized, in our decentralized way. Each theme camp is autonomous, and self-sufficient. No Village fees. Our Overflow Zoze is for onesey-twosy campers and groups, who just want to be "citizens of the Village." Plenty of stuff to help with, from the Playa Theater to the Speed Dating game to the massage tents.

If it's just you, wanting to help out, post a message on the signup site that says "it's just me, I want to help out." We would welcome you.

Four short weeks to sign up, and first-come-first served, until we reach capacity. So sign up today.

--eric g
Eric G.
WI Regional Conatct

Return to “2008 Theme Camps”