Anyone Know of a Christian Theme Camp for BM 2008??

Should There Be A Christian Theme Camp At Burning Man 2008?

Absolutely! The More The Merrier...
9%
Absolutely! The More The Merrier...
9%
Doesn't Make A Difference To Me...
28%
Doesn't Make A Difference To Me...
28%
No! There's No Place For Such A Camp At Burning Man...
13%
No! There's No Place For Such A Camp At Burning Man...
13%

Total votes: 102

CompManCB

Anyone Know of a Christian Theme Camp for BM 2008??

Post by CompManCB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:44 am

I'm simply wondering if anyone knows of a Christian Theme Camp that will be taking up shop at this year's Burning Man?

As is the spirit of this festival, an open mind is paramount if you plan on attending and having the best experience possible. There is so much in the way of spiritual nourishment and reflection at this festival, that I would find it odd to learn that no one has plans for setting up a Christian camp. I'm sure that there are meditation and prayer tents, but what about a Christian camp, specifically?

If you know of one or of a way that I can search for one, please let me know. Thanks everyone and God bless!!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:49 am

If a bunch of useless goyim want their own camp, who cares?

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:50 am

I heard of one in years past that hands out bottled water. Somewhere on eplaya there was discussion about, and a quote from, the minister who organized it. There was an open-minded episcopalian minister in Denver who posted a discussion about Burning Man (probably because he knew I trolled his blog) but the overwhelming response of his pariosoners and blog viewers was really closed-minded and negative. His blog, should you search for it is called Father Neo's White Rabbit

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks, Teo! Appreciate the heads up. I'll search through the ePlaya for "Father Neo's White Rabbit" to see what I can find. Do you know if it can be found in the 2008 section or was it posted in regards to past events?

Hey, Pyro...there's no need for your derogatory comments here, man. If it was made in jest, then your belittling term for "gentile" could have been omitted.

All who attend the festival with good intentions for fun and a desire for prayer and meditation (to whichever god or gods people pray to) should be accepted equally. Judgements should be set aside or kept to yourself.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:32 am

Does the Christian Camp walk around with big sign that say "GOD HATES FAGS!" or "BABY KILLERS!"? Because that is the Christianity that I know...
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:34 am

Hey, Pyro...there's no need for your derogatory comments here, man. If it was made in jest, then your belittling term for "gentile" could have been omitted.
That's something you'd better get used to if you're going to come lurking around these parts. We are not all perfect little Christians who only shun our neighbors when our pastor tells us to, we shun everyone equally. :twisted:
All who attend the festival with good intentions for fun and a desire for prayer and meditation (to whichever god or gods people pray to) should be accepted equally. Judgements should be set aside or kept to yourself.
EPLAYA is not THE-PLAYA. And if you expect people at burning man to put aside their own opinions of spirituality to accept yours then maybe you shouldn't be going to burning man?

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:45 am

For sure...I completely understand (and agree) with what you're saying, BitterDan. Though, I don't think I gave an opinion either way other than to say that people should have an open mind and being judgemental of others is contrary to that idea. Is having an open mind so unreasonable?

It's just interesting that so many people promote themselves to be open minded then choose to publically defame others. That's life I suppose! That's also the sad reality of many conservative Christians who many people feel are hypocrites. Still, I'd like to think that people who attend Burning Man are beyond that. The sad truth is that many are not and it would be nieve of me to assume so. By the look of the poll results so far, people mostly don't care either way. That's open minded enough for me...haha!

If it's God that someone is searching for, Burning Man is probably not the first and best place to be looking. That's for sure!

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:00 am

CompManCB wrote:For sure...I completely understand (and agree) with what you're saying, BitterDan. Though, I don't think I gave an opinion either way other than to say that people should have an open mind and being judgemental of others is contrary to that idea. Is having an open mind so unreasonable?

It's just interesting that so many people promote themselves to be open minded then choose to publicly defame others. That's life I suppose! That's also the sad reality of many conservative Christians who many people feel are hypocrites. Still, I'd like to think that people who attend Burning Man are beyond that. The sad truth is that many are not and it would be nieve of me to assume so.

If it's God that someone is searching for, Burning Man is probably not the first and best place to be looking. That's for sure!
You have clearly never been to burning man.... that being said....um never mind its too easy.

Just watch out for bloody Jesus she will want to have sex with your blowup sex doll...I have pictures.

Have fun! seeya there :D :D :D :D :D

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 am

Ok, I came off a little too harsh there I think. I get too wrapped up in the whole religion thing since so many of them have shunned me for being an atheist and I sometimes look for a way to strike back at them. I know that you are probably a good person and will probably fit right in at Burning Man but I couldn't resist a jab. :wink:

And like I said, this is not THE PLAYA. You will find people much more open-minded and accepting there than you will here. You see, here we have the whole anonymity thing going for us and sometimes that makes us snarkier than your average burner.

Personally I think the roots of Christianity are in the right place, it's what mankind has done with it over the past 2000 years that I disagree with. Sometimes I blame ALL Christians for the tyranny of SOME evil men.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:04 am

Oh yeah, Mozy brings up a good point. If you are going to be offended by people using your religious icons in ways that you may not agree with then you might want to reconsider coming out to the desert. This place is free-for-all expression and sometimes that means doing or saying something that you are not going to like. If someone dressed as Jesus is walking around taking Bong Hits, I hope you wouldn't throw the first stone. :wink:

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 am

Haha...no, you all make good points. And to say that I'm offended or taken aback couldn't be further from the truth. As you stated, this is not the Playa, and as such, people with crap to say would do better not to post at all.

This is going to be my first Burning Man, so I am a newbie for sure. I was brought up Christian, as some of you may have been, but since my youth I've branched out considerably. I graduated from UC Santa Cruz, so I know something about freedom of expression and a lack of religious tolerance. Not to mention, smoking the good herb! That's nothing new to me. So, I'm in no way a hard nosed, right-wing Chrisitan looking to convert people. My only mission is to have fun and I'm sure that I'll have plenty of it! Can't wait! And I'll tell you this, if I wasn't married I'd be having way too much fun. Teehee...

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:56 am

Hey Compman...Father Neo's White Rabbit is not on ePlaya, but out there on the world wide web. It only had one blog entry about BMan and Im afraid most of it was my thoughts in response to the subject. So, maybe not worth your time to search if just for that one thread.

Remember ePlaya is a much harsher environment than the actual Burning Man event itself. People who are likely to rip ya a new one for no apparent reason in this forum are likely to be some of the nicest people you'll meet at Burning Man. Ive met Doc Pyro and he's a prince of a guy. Bitter Dan I think I met (he has this incredibly cool camp called Moonshine Tavern and I never can really remember who I met there) and I bet he's a pretty good guy despite his ePlaya role as a crusty veteran.

One thing though. You gotta really have a thick skin towards blasphemy. I'm not a Christian and thus have no problems with art or performance along the lines of "self-crucifiction," or mocking of various stories from the Bible. You are likely to see some of that there.

Also, some may argue that overt preaching and outreach may constitute a form of the dreaded commerce. Of course, the best way to win converts is to avoid the old bible thumping model and just live the kind of life of compassion and generosity that makes others wonder what you have that's so special. I bet that's what you were planning on anyway.

anyhooo, good luck, keep us posted, hope to see you out there.

I

Donna Matrix
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Donna Matrix » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:29 pm

First year I thought about the whole Christian Camp idea, but I came to the conclusion - why?

I mean, why would a bunch of Christian want to isolate themselves into a camp? I enjoy mixing it up and getting into a non-Christain camp. It's way more fun.

What would be the purpose of such a camp?
[img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3500/fogobarramenorbz2.gif[/img]

sputnik
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:34 pm

Yeah! Let's mix it up DM
It's going to be alright.

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:38 pm

Yeah, I guess that there wouldn't be a purpose really. You're certainly not going to covert anyone at Burning Man and why would you want to spend your time doing that anyway? People are going to believe what they want to believe. No shame in that!

Although there is a lot to do with regard to spirituality at Burning Man, I don't think that God is foremost on anyone's mind. So, sitting around a Christian Camp and studying the Bible seems wierd and certainly out of place for Burning Man.

With the hundreds of different theme camps out there, I was just curious why there were none about Christianity. I guess it now makes sense why. Probably the same reason why there isn't an Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, Catholic or Jewish theme camp. Not the place or time for such things.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:41 pm

I think there's plenty of "god" out there,...just not much "jesus" or "muhammed" or "koresh" or "l. ron"

...was I supposed to capitalize those or just capitalize "I"?
blow.

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:45 pm

To capitalize or not to capitalize? That is the question...

Donna Matrix

Post by Donna Matrix » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:04 pm

One thing I have found out.

Going out to the desert is getting closer to God. Every year I find out something very important about myself. Something that God wants me to know about myself. It makes me a strong person - a more grounded person. I know myself more.

I think this makes me more useful to God.

The desert is God's land. It's not about the other people. If they want to talk to me about God or Jesus - I do. But I don't go there for them. I go to the desert and BM for me. What God does with the week is up to Him.

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:13 pm

Amen sister! Isn't that what it's all about? The spiritual journey! That's why I'm going...and like you said, knowing more about yourself probably does make you more useful to God. Plus, God resides in all of us, so learning more about ourselves while at Burning Man is a great testiment to our faith.

I told a co-worker of mine that I'm going to Burning Man this year. He straight up told me that I shouldn't be going. He's a conservative Christian, unlike myself, so he believes that such an event is a waste of one's time and is against what the Bible teaches. I don't think like that, which is why I'm still going and planning on having many awesome experiences that will ultimately allow me to grow as a person and in my faith. Not to mention the fact that I look forward to meeting loads of new and crazy people who have altogether different views of the world than I do. I can't wait!!

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:28 pm

To ME, the most important principal out on the Playa is to: NOT HARSH ANYONE'S EXPERIENCE.

That's all I have to say about this.... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Donna Matrix

Post by Donna Matrix » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:29 pm

CompManCB wrote:Amen sister! Isn't that what it's all about? The spiritual journey! That's why I'm going...and like you said, knowing more about yourself probably does make you more useful to God. Plus, God resides in all of us, so learning more about ourselves while at Burning Man is a great testiment to our faith.

I told a co-worker of mine that I'm going to Burning Man this year. He straight up told me that I shouldn't be going. He's a conservative Christian, unlike myself, so he believes that such an event is a waste of one's time and is against what the Bible teaches. I don't think like that, which is why I'm still going and planning on having many awesome experiences that will ultimately allow me to grow as a person and in my faith. Not to mention the fact that I look forward to meeting loads of new and crazy people who have altogether different views of the world than I do. I can't wait!!
Will this be your first year? this will be my fourth. I learned the most important thing about myself the first year. I learned that I was stronger than I thought.

Most Christian won't go because they think the temptation will overpower them. (whatever temptation tempt you, you know). And I was tempted that first year, but it wasn't like old times. It was different. I was different. I am so glad I found out how changed I was. It was beautiful.

I'm up the road from you. Out of Colfax, up I80 (on the way to BM).

lonestoner916

Post by lonestoner916 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:46 pm

Bong hits for Jesus camp, AKA my tent! :twisted:

Bring weed or you will anger our holy fadda! :evil:
[img]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv92/Motha420Herb/stoner.gif[/img]
http://lonestonersblog.blogspot.com/

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Haha...nice LoneStar. That's a camp I'm all about! I'll bring my sacred pipe and the godly herb, brutha!

Yeah, Colfax, I passed through there this last February. Small town, DM. I really liked what you have to say. It makes perfect sense. I know that my limits (and faith) will be tested, but honestly, that's the challenge I'm looking for. What's your approach? Where ever the experience takes you, you follow? Or, do you abstain from select substances? Do you set limitations or just go with the flow?

Yes, I am a proud BM virgin. I can't wait to experience first hand the stuff you're talking about, DM. It's like the main reason why I want to go. It's not about the art for me (although, I love art and can't wait to see the awesome collaborations created on the Playa), but rather it's about the expression and tending to the self in order to achieve a higher state of being, through music and dance, prayer and meditation, dream, human connection and hallucination.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:If a bunch of useless goyim want their own camp, who cares?
How is goyim an insult?
And I think Barbie Death Camp is a jewish camp, if it matters.
And christianity is a jewish religion anyway.
Besides, Doc Pyro hasn't managed to come up with a new theme camp idea in twenty years, it's always barbie.

So what's your theme?
You aren't just going to come out and be christian, are you?

And Jesus?
I knew the boy.
I told him not to go down to the railroad station and mess with those jews!
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Yeah...nice...

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:39 am

people with crap to say would do better not to post at all.
Hehe, why then we'd have no posts at all!

You don't care much about the art, hmmm? Now that is an opinion I'd love to hear you discuss once you've popped your burner cherry. I expect an afterburn report of your experience!

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:23 am

Anti, I'm sure that it will all be facinating. No doubt! I'll leave the art to those with the artistic expression. I'm married to an artist, so I respect people with such gifts. Further, I love that so many burners have this quality, so I'm sure the different creations will be mind numbing...oh wait, that's the pot!

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:01 am

The concept of artists as a separate group is a modern convention and not recognized at burning man.
Creation of an interesting or useful theme camp is an art form too and perhaps the most important one out there.
It is true that some of the most isimple ideas executed well, make great theme camps.

It is unclear to me whether you are proposing a theme camp composed of christians or a camp that has a religious theme for interaction.
All possibilities are open.
You now face the artists clean sheet of canvas.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:12 am

why did the jew cross the road?

ans: to kill jesus, duh.
Frida Be You & Me

CompManCB

Post by CompManCB » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:14 am

Gyre, I'm not proposing anything. Since this is my first BM, I'm going along for the ride and experience. I'd rather not have too much to think about in terms of creating art and dealing with a huge theme camp. I'd rather err on the side of being self sufficient. I'm looking forward to wandering around and meeting tons of interesting and fun people.

I started this thread because I was curious about the extent to which people form theme camps expressly with organized religion in mind. I personally to feel that Burning Man is a place for organized religion, but it is certainly a great venue for spiritual insight and hightened creativity.

Return to “2008 Theme Camps”