The Contraption 2009

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:24 am

The coxswain of a (navy) motor whale boat steers it with a tiller.. He send a system of bell chimes to the engineer to operate the engine..

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:09 pm

This has nothing to do with signaling (unless you want a wet driver :wink: ) but it made me think of the contraption.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/pro ... p-3672.cfm

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.

Jet Set

Post by Jet Set » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:36 pm

WHEW!!! OK, so I just finished reading the past two seasons of The Contraption. I would have been here a couple of days ago, but SOMEONE had to go and post a link to a really neat game which sidetracked me. Of course the fact that I'm here at all is an interesting twist of fate.
Before I stumbled upon this thing called The Contraption I had been reading at [url=http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org]Living History Farm.[/url] Somewhere along the way an implement called a go-dig was mentioned. I had never heard of such an implement before and as such decided to do an image search for one. One of the pictures that came up was of hay being raked with a side delivery rake pulled by a John Deere model B. Now I had already been on the site that picture originated from and thought I'd bum around there a bit. *click* That is, of course, not where I ended up and I have been reading frantically to catch up ever since.
Now for the topic at hand: How to communicate to the driver that a stop is required? First, taking into consideration the undertones of American Agriculture, I tried to think of how we, here on the farm, communicate when unable to hear each other. I came up with pointing, hand signals, and the ever popular flailing of the arms. All of which require being able to see the other person and are therefor N/A. Unless you hung a marionette in front of the driver rigged such that when a rope was pulled in "engineering" the arms began flapping about. My second thought was, as others have already put forward, a sort of tube-like intercom. However, after sleeping on it for a night I do believe karine said it best
[quote="karine"]But...
SEMAPHORES! SEMAPHORES!
Holy contraption, LCN that's a good idea![/quote]
They fit right in with the whole mechanically based theme. I'm thinkin make two flags right now paint one red one green (if possible use a red and green that look fairly faded.) Once the paint has dried scratch and chip the paint as you see fit and finally place outside so that they may rust to perfection. The system could utilize a three position switch: 1-stop 2-go 3-(in the center of the other two) both flags would be down for travel.
If any further conversation needs to take place that can always be hashed out over a couple of "WHAT"'s. Besides farmers are known to stand right next to a tractor running full tilt and yell back and forth, rather than take a few steps away in order to hear each other better, so it would fit right in with everything you've got goin on with this.[/url]
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."
-- Dwight Eisenhower

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:24 pm

Here's way more than you ever wanted to know about railroad semaphore signals.
http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/rail/sigs.htm#Sema
I love the idea of having the semaphore or some part of its linkage
strike a bell for an additional audio effect to amaze your passengers.
I have a 10" alarm bell with great tone (like the kind you see on banks) that I would be happy to donate to the project should you go this route.
Shit, just PM me your addy LCN and I'll send it to you for inspiration! I dumpster dove 2 of 'em so I've got one for my project as well. :D

DB
Agripunk,

karine

Post by karine » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Way to catch up, Jet set! Welcome to the conversation!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:31 pm

Wow, JetSet…

Welcome!!

First off, I’m both impressed and humbled that you made it through those earlier threads. And secondly, that link to the living history farm website was really great. It reminded me of reading through the Foxfire series of books, only more interactive. Just when I think the interweb has run out of good stuff, along comes that sort of website. Beautiful and thank you for sharing. I hope you’ll hang around and continue to be a part of, not only this thread, but the whole of eplaya.

And it would seem that the semaphores are winning so I’m going to start thinking on that. With the change in the drive train to accommodate the engine, the center lever of the driver’s controls was rendered non-functioning. This could be a fine spot to run a couple of linkages up to a Stop/Go semaphore panel. And I like the 3 position switch. I‘m picturing something similar to the ship‘s controls fciron posted, but of course rustier. I’ll investigate more in the daylight.

And 10â€
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:46 pm

:D
Just to be ornery, I'll suggest that when these misguided would-be passengers hail the engineer instead of the driver, the engineer could simply point to the driver and grunt something like "Tell the driver, doofus!" 8)
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

karine

Post by karine » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:59 pm

Well, even though the contraption is a pretty s l o w m o v i n g vehicle...
the engine kinda cuts out everything behind the driver. I mean, I can hear LCN hollar (usually can't make it out on the first try), but I often can't hear anyone else.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:58 am

The semaphore method sounds sexy.. I also STILL think there should be a flaming whistle but I don't think I'll be able to get it working. The pressure is too high for the propane to stay lit. I'm thinkin I may need to

1) Use a more explosive gas so the flame doesnt blow out
2) Alter/Modify/Change my ignition system
3) Use a different whistle all together

Almost 2 years now and I STILL dont have it working.

Heres a question..

Which whistle (while sounding steamish) would work with the lower pressures AND have a spot to place ignition works (inside or out) without affecting the operation.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:35 am

LCN,

~TwIsT~

Toolmaker,

If you want to stick with the classic round steamwhistle perhaps a fire halo of sorts would work placed above the whistle. Or is the idea to have the flames operate the whistle?

DB
Agripunk,

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:47 am

I thought about the classic steam whistle design, but I worry about the closed bell being a problem collecting the gas and either popping or, worst case, launching. I'm thinking an open type whistle (like a flute or recorder) might work better, so that's probably my approach. Though I've got a small steam whistle that I made that might just need to be tested anyway...

I’m not sure the high pressure would be a problem. For the flame effect, we use straight tank pressure with a pilot that was wrapped in copper mesh (aka a pot scrubber) and it poofs really nicely.

ETA: I've noticed that the propane at tank pressure seems to like igniting several inches beyond where it exits the pipe. It's also a 3/4" pipe with an accumulator on it, which probably makes it a bit easier to ignite as well.

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Is the maker of the flame caliope still about? He probably knows a thing or two about flaming whistles. Sure it was more of a flame pipe organ. But a whistle is a whistle dad gum it!

LCN,
fear not the postman!
For he (or she) bears tidings of great joy!
Or some crap like that...
Happy belated fall equinox compliments
of the Bomb Bay Tea Company! :D

DB
Agripunk,

fciron

Post by fciron » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:27 pm

I know they have an 'Explodaphone' in Houston, TX which uses tuned bursts of flames to produce notes. So the technology exists.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:08 pm

A flame speaker can actually work.
I've heard them.

I ran across a propane machine gun and it used propane mixed with oxygen.
That may be the key to getting the right sound.
Someone was asking, but I don't remember where.
This seems as good a place as any to put it.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:22 am

While I think the bell type whistles are sexy I don't think I'm gonna keep trying them. I am trying to use something a lil simpler and easier to make now. I did try the "halo" ignition and got a small amount of fuel burned. It didn't look as I invisioned so I am on to new and different directions. Plus LeChat got me thinkin about the thing blowing apart.. wouldn't be good since I don't have life insurance.

Something more compact and more suitable for flame is in the works.

[youtube][/youtube]

This guy has a nice simple quick and dirty whistle. I'm thinkin a bunch each slightly different for different "notes". Maybe if I find someone musically inclined we could get a song or two out of it.

Be sure to check this fellas other vids out.. lots of steam projects.

I like the poofer LeChat has.. its seems to fit well and looks very much like it belongs there.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:39 am

I'm thinking something simple like that, but bigger in diameter so its not so shrill.

For more inspiation, this was found after poking around that whislte link:

[youtube][/youtube]

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:43 am

I also noted that this helpful tidbit was posted below the previous whistle link.

Good video! To keep the whistle from overblowing, it needs to be of a much larger scale. You can accomplish this by shortening it to a scale of 3:1 rather than it's current tiny scale of > 10:1. The cutup is also a little low for a 90 degree mouth design. Raising it to the whistle's diameter will give you maximum output for any scale you choose.

It will then blow loud and at it's intended pitch and not blow though the series of harmonics. Try doing this and repost a second video.
What I'm wondering is:

Is the end of that pipe open? I get the impression that it is, but I ever see it in the video to be sure.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:45 am

Did you ever check out the whistles at Dixie Gun Works on Highway 51?

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:50 am

Shoot.... there's a calliope right in my own backyard and I never knew it. This one is on the Bell of Louisville:

[youtube][/youtube]

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:10 am

Watch yard sales for fire place tools.. The brass handels would make fine Steam Punk levers..

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:23 pm

Yea, we saw that last yr in new orleans, LCN...... It's played with a keyboard..... hehehe, I did think of you, when we saw it.........
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 pm

LeChatNoir wrote: What I'm wondering is:

Is the end of that pipe open? I get the impression that it is, but I ever see it in the video to be sure.
Depending on the whistle design the end can be capped or open. Penny whistles and organ pipes are usually open. (Heh,I said organ)
Policeman's type whistles are usually closed.
They both operate on the same principle though.

Here's a nifty whistle!
http://www.kazoos.com/store/merchant.mv ... ry_Code=AP

DB
Agripunk,

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:24 pm

The biggest problem I’ve noticed with some fire instruments was the metal getting hot enough to anneal the and the resonance is deadened .

Jet Set

Post by Jet Set » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:18 pm

lol, I'm reminded of a clay working art class I took in high school.
One of the things we did was making whistles.
It was kind of cool because you could try them while the clay was still workable.
Mine were always the annoying shrill ones :twisted: .
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."
-- Dwight Eisenhower

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Lookee what I found on BM dot com!

http://images.burningman.com/index.cgi? ... _year=2008

DB
Agripunk,

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:19 pm

Yikes!!

Thank goodness I wasn't in the shot, else they might have stolen my soul!!!

karine

Post by karine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:38 pm

Wow, he found us on the first day!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Heh Heh...

Oh, boy... Here's something that seems like it needs to be posted here:

[youtube][/youtube]

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:41 pm

I think those are beef, not dairy, cattle.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

fciron

Post by fciron » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:57 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I think those are beef, not dairy, cattle.
In addition, that sounds more agri-death-metal than agri-punk. :lol: :lol:

Return to “2009 Art & Performance”