Peter Hudson Zoetrope for '09?

HeironymousJosch

Peter Hudson Zoetrope for '09?

Postby HeironymousJosch » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:40 am

I know it's too early to know which artists will be on the playa this year; the Arts Foundation won't announce it's grant recipients until later this summer but I'm hoping, wholeheartedly, for a Hudzo zoetrope. A theme like "Evolution" is great fodder for a whimsical design. If he's planning to be there, I'm sure work and planning has already begun but last I checked his website, he was still way in the hole for Tantalus. As a matter of fact, all links to hudzo.com are redirected to a donation page. Could be a simple lack of web maintenance - artists spend a lot of time, well, making art - but who knows? Has anyone heard any info on his participation this year? There's a paypal link on the donation page and I donated a few bucks and I implore any of his fans to do the same. It would be a shame to miss out on artwork of this scale and caliber because of some benjamins.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:08 pm

From JRS;

The Watch
by Chassy Cleland, Brooklyn - NY
http://thewatch.devildream.com/

The Watch starts with a question posed 200 years ago: If you were walking across a barren landscape and found a pocket watch on the ground, how did it come to be there, and in this context, is it any different than an animal or plant?

This installation is a 10' diameter version of that watch, embedded in the desert surface. As biologists look inside animals to trace evolutionary ancestries, answers lie within The Watch. The interior clockwork is exposed, with additional gears scattered nearby. Built as a zoetrope, each spinning cog tells a story about how life came to be. Some cogs run the ticking clockwork, displaying stories that interlock to form our best understanding of the evolutionary clock's mechanisms. Other cogs are scattered nearby, re-telling origin theories discarded in favor of those that better fit with the scientific observations and discoveries of the past two centuries.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

HeironymousJosch

Postby HeironymousJosch » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Bounce530 wrote:From JRS;

The Watch
by Chassy Cleland, Brooklyn - NY
http://thewatch.devildream.com/

The Watch starts with a question posed 200 years ago: If you were walking across a barren landscape and found a pocket watch on the ground, how did it come to be there, and in this context, is it any different than an animal or plant?

This installation is a 10' diameter version of that watch, embedded in the desert surface. As biologists look inside animals to trace evolutionary ancestries, answers lie within The Watch. The interior clockwork is exposed, with additional gears scattered nearby. Built as a zoetrope, each spinning cog tells a story about how life came to be. Some cogs run the ticking clockwork, displaying stories that interlock to form our best understanding of the evolutionary clock's mechanisms. Other cogs are scattered nearby, re-telling origin theories discarded in favor of those that better fit with the scientific observations and discoveries of the past two centuries.

This is a great concept. I can't wait to discover it on the playa. It isn't Peter Hudson but it is a zoetrope and looks well thought out. I especially like the scattered cogs symbolizing discarded theories. Furthermore, they have an excerpt from Richard Dawkin's "The God Dillusion" on the face of the clock. Brilliant! I am so excited to see more of the concepts trickle out over the summer. This year's theme is amazing!

SFbrothermichael

peter hudson

Postby SFbrothermichael » Fri May 01, 2009 12:56 pm

Having a new zoetrope by Peter Hudson would be magnificent...
but even if he decides not to create something new, I'd be grateful to revisit one of his past works...
like THE MONKEY's for example!!

I'm also glad to see the return of CUBATRON, bigger and better than ever.

HeironymousJosch

Re: peter hudson

Postby HeironymousJosch » Sat May 02, 2009 7:41 pm

SFbrothermichael wrote:Having a new zoetrope by Peter Hudson would be magnificent...
but even if he decides not to create something new, I'd be grateful to revisit one of his past works...
like THE MONKEY's for example!!

I'm also glad to see the return of CUBATRON, bigger and better than ever.

Homouoboros has done rounds all over Cali. It would be awesome to see it on the playa this year! Considering there was no Hudzo project on the Honorarium announcement, it's fair to assume no new piece for this year's burn. I'm pretty sure he's gotten a grant for the last several years.

Toolmaker

Postby Toolmaker » Sun May 03, 2009 8:50 am

Glad to hear the cubatron is coming back.. one of my personal favs. At least we get one zoetrope.. I'm sure it will be great even though its not a Hudson.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

HeironymousJosch

Postby HeironymousJosch » Mon May 04, 2009 8:28 pm

Toolmaker wrote:Glad to hear the cubatron is coming back.. one of my personal favs. At least we get one zoetrope.. I'm sure it will be great even though its not a Hudson.

On the Honorarium announcement it's listed as "Cubitron L5." I'm not sure what the "L5" notation means but I know the piece has evolved through several incarnations. Maybe we're going to get a new and improved super-duper cubitron! Regardless, I will be spending a lot of time with my back on the playa staring up at that masterpiece.

stormfeather

Postby stormfeather » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:19 pm

I've spent many happy hours enjoying the cubatron!
That is great news that it will be back in a newly evolved edition!
web page:
http://www.3waylabs.com/projects/mc/
Camp Sietch Grabrear & Shai-Hulud MV
6:00 and Fossil 2009
http://sandworm.tikimojo.com

The Spice Must Flow!

Return to “2009 Art & Performance”