80's Camp 2009 (Official)

SHAKEY

80'S CAMPERS

Post by SHAKEY » Tue May 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi 80'S Campers,

June is just around the corner... Gettin' closer and I wanted to touch base with all of you... As we get closer, please keep the communication going. Who's still in for 80's Camp... Post a quick note if you are still planning on attending and where you will be traveling from. Also any creative ideas for 80's Camp... 80'S Camp will be what we make it... Good times! So stay in touch. I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER. A-TEAM.

SHAKEY (Duckie, Pretty In Pink) 8)

Patamon

IF you like 80s music

Post by Patamon » Fri May 29, 2009 6:05 pm

For those 80's lovers on the playa this year....

If you had a good time dancing to 80's New Wave/Synth/Goth and other 80s hits at Doctor Letaudries Freakshow in 2007 and 2008, this year you're in for even a bigger treat.

Spinning off from Doctor Letaudries in 2009 is a NEW 80's dance camp...

PLANET EARTH

We will be spinning your favorite 80's tunes, everything from one hit pop wonders, to hardcore goth and industrial. We have 7-8 DJ's, a new killer sound system, over 300 80's videos, and an awesome Lighted Dance floor.

We will be spinning all 8 nights of the event (Sunday to Sunday).

Some of what you'll hear at Planet Earth:

Duran Duran (of course)
Depeche Mode
The Cure
The Smiths
Erasure
New Order
Joy Division
Adam Ant
Billy Idol
The Cult
B-52's
Flock of Seagulls
Siouxsie
Tears for Fears
Sisters of Mercy
Heavy 17
Talking Heads
Dead or Alive
Tones on Tail
OMD
Echo and the Bunnyman
Pet Shop boys

And hundreds of others of your favorite 80s bands and dance tunes.

Once we're placed I'll post the location here on Eplaya, hope to see you there!

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun May 31, 2009 7:33 am

I am soooo there! Hey, if you guys want to do a pajama party sub-theme night I can bring by the Fluffer to make 'em warm, soft, and 80's fresh. Dig:

www.MutantVehicle.com/fluffer.htm
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

SHAKEY

80's Campers

Post by SHAKEY » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:25 pm

A quick note... Trying to get an idea as we get closer who is still in with
80's Camp... Many of you have said that you are interested over the last 6 - 8 months but we are only 90 days out now and I would love to know if you are still in or out... Thanks,

The Duck-Man (Pretty in Pink)

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Re: 80's Campers

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:09 pm

SHAKEY wrote:A quick note... Trying to get an idea as we get closer who is still in with
80's Camp... Many of you have said that you are interested over the last 6 - 8 months but we are only 90 days out now and I would love to know if you are still in or out... Thanks,

The Duck-Man (Pretty in Pink)
A good question that Zorro Sings taught me is to ask if they have purchased a Burning Man ticket yet. Weeds out the talkers from the doers a bit.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

SHAKEY

80's Camp

Post by SHAKEY » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Bueller? Anyone... Anyone...? :lol:

SHAKEY

80's Camp

Post by SHAKEY » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi 80'S Campers!

Location for 2009? Still waiting on the BRC map and I hear they will be going back to the old city set up... Last year we were on the out-skirts @ 9:30 & Jeep... The wind and dust was a lot better there. I'm hearing that the playa is wet from all the thunderstrom and that's a good thing. Hopefully this year we can look forward to a firm, compressed playa surface. For 80's camp, I think if possible we would like to be in a little closer and shoot for a corner location.
This thread has been quiet lately... I would really like to know from all of you who responded earlier this year and last... Are you still camping with 80's Camp? Do you have your tickets yet? Just over 2 months away and we need to start to pull this all together. :?

Shakey (Duckie - Pretty In Pink)

SHAKEY

We're getting closer 80's campers

Post by SHAKEY » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:32 pm

Just two months away... Who has their tickets? Who wants a spot at 80's camp? I need communication please... That way we can figure out how big an area we need in BRC and It will help to start narrow down a location. It's time for the 80's creativity to show... With the death of Michael Jackson 80's camp will do a fun tribute... Any ideas moon walkers?
Let's start planning... Good times ahead.

Duckie (Pretty In Pink) :wink:

SHAKEY

80'S CAMP

Post by SHAKEY » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:17 am

Okay...

Well, for as much excitement as we had to start this camp 8 months ago... I'm surprised... I guess the interest has faded now that BM is just around the corner. So if you don't follow-up with me soon then 80's camp will not happen. It's your choice... This is the last post I will make unless I hear otherwise.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:40 am

80's camp good. Elders need place to sleep.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi Shakey. I hate to see such a fun idea go under the apathy bus. I'm no stranger to that one-- lots of people talk a good game and I've since adjusted my expectations and gotten better about finding new friends with high accountability and show-up factor.

A musician friend once told me it's good to play in a band where all the other members are better than yourself. That way you are always stretching instead of trying to figure out how to get the other guy to stretch.

It seems that every time I turn around my expectations bite me in the ass. Here's to dropping the unrealistic ones and making fierce balls-out commitments to the ones that can happen, then we let go, fully let go of the outcome.

Warmest regards,

-Jellyfish

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:29 pm

I hope 80s camp happens!! I am very stoked to visit often to revel in some of my favorite music with other 80's geeks.

Maybe I will find my Randy there.....(think valley girl)

I am involved with Lustre Village but was hoping to be an 80s camp regular so heres some vibez that it happens!! {{{{{{80s camp!!}}}}

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:18 pm

I remember the 80s

That sounds Awesome...totally rad!
I remember wearing lots of make-up, teased hair, showin lots of leg and cleavage. I looked like an MTV video vixen. I'm in my 40s now but I would love to hang out with some valley girls again.

I too drank some B52s and Sex on The Beach shooters. I remember recently running into a chick who was wearing a pink dress with black polka dots. I would love to see her again and borrow that outfit.

Anyways, consider this my RSVP and I will see you there.

Cheers,
Lorgasm
BOOBIES!!!

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Re: IF you like 80s music

Post by zorro sings » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Patamon wrote:For those 80's lovers on the playa this year....

PLANET EARTH
This town ain't big enough....................And they used your own thread for their propaganda!!!!!!
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

SHAKEY

80'S CAMP

Post by SHAKEY » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:25 pm

Okay. Okay... We have a pulse again. Who's bringin' the leg warmers?

I cant believe we're a month away... Black Rock City here we come.

Farmer Ted 8)

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:48 pm

Woot Woot! Les Freak! Ces Chique!

SHAKEY

80'S CAMP?

Post by SHAKEY » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:07 pm

So... We're down to it... Who's in with 80's camp? That means camping in the 80's Camp location... Gettin' decked out in 80's wear... Remembering John Hughes... Meetin' new friends that love the 80's too... Cocktails & 80's parties... ya know, good times... Not, "Hey, sounds great... I'll stop by".

ROLL CALL... Please shout out if you are in... Thanks!

Uncle Buck 8)

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:10 pm

I'm in like a haircut in A Flock Of Seagulls!

zimri

Planet Earth

Post by zimri » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 pm

For those of you looking for 80's dancing, Planet Earth has been placed! It will be in the 9 o'clock keyhole. So come on out any night of the week for some hot 80's dance action!
blah blah blah

Sammi_Noelle

Post by Sammi_Noelle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:10 pm

HEY! My friend and I would love to be a part of your camp. We're from Seattle, and we're down to party in leg warmers and shoulder pads!!

If you could message me with more details, i'd be much obliged.

:D
Burn For Life.

ozwald8804

Post by ozwald8804 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Shakey, have you got enough of a role call to make this happen? My wife would love to find the 80s scene. Being a 70s guy, I will just follow in her wake.

SHAKEY

80'S CAMP

Post by SHAKEY » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:57 pm

It's lookin' like we have enough interest so 80's Camp is on again!... We may team up with Camp Galavant. Captain Rick Metz has offered some good space @ 2:45 & E streets... I'm having an issue with finding a truck to pull my trailer out. I sold mine last winter so I'm hoping for a little help this year. Can't rent one. But I'm hoping to solve that problem soon. If anyone has any ideas for me or would like to help me out. I live in Sparks, NV right on the way to the playa... Anyway... Still planning on 80's Camp to happen. Let's keep workin' out the details. "AAOH, ALL I NEED IS SOME TASTEY WAVES, A COOL BUZZ AND I'M FINE"

Shakey (Jeff Spicoli - Fast Times at Ridgemont High) 8)

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:06 pm

A fine cat, Rick Metz. Does this mean your location would change?

zorro sings

Post by zorro sings » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:25 am

Jellyfish,You know I love you but got to point out some schizo behavior.Here you go off on Nadylady(Introduce Yourself section) and give Shakey every ounce of encouragement and benefit of doubt. Let's review the facts on The 80's Camp.

Anyone who reviewed the 80's Camp thread from last
year

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=25069

will see that it ended up being a non-starter.No one could find the camp as it was unregistered.All the enthusiasim and interest manifested itself into nothing.Quite a few potential campers were very frustrated.

Did Shakey learn from this experience and register his camp this year? No.Thus setting himself and others up for a similar debacle this year.Not only that but now he needs a truck.Ten days out.Sold his"in the winter"despite his desire to form the camp and knowing he would need it for said purpose.

I salute his enthusiasim and willingness to contribute but looks like just another unprepared and naive Burner to me.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

SHAKEY

80's Camp

Post by SHAKEY » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:04 am

You know what Zorro, It's a bummer I have to defend trying to set up what could be a fun camp. But it does take other people too for 80's Camp to happen. You're way too critical, so It's very simple, please don't be a part of it . Is it registered? No... And it doesn't need to be. There are many unregistered camps in BRC. To start out, I wanted to see the true interst and follow-up and this will be my 6th burn, thank you. And 80's Camp DID happen last year. I arrived Monday during a huge white-out dust storm that lasted thru most of Tuesday... All directions and camp info were posted (Monday) on the info board and on the search computers near center camp. Although the dust storm made it extremely difficult to navigate for anyone. Still, for 2 days I waited for people to show up at the location before many other campers filled much of my planned space... I later moved to a new more open space and marked the new location at the info center... Still most were no shows. In the end 80's Camp wound up being about 8 or 10 nice people. Many show great interest earlier in the year and then just drop from the picture when it's true planning time. And It is difficult for one person to pull everyone / everything together. When I began this idea I wanted to have 80's Camp run much like Stag Camp... No too much structure or politics... Just a fun group of people wanting to hang out, have a good time and celebrate 80's pop culture. So again I say... If you're so negative about it... Please camp somewhere else.

zorro sings

Post by zorro sings » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:48 am

Shakey,Sorry you are having difficulties and my negativity does not stem from your idea,just your execution.Your problems getting this camp off the ground are obvious and someone had to say it.Get it registered.Simply filling out the registration form does not automatically lead to"too much structure and politics".It simply allows you to give your potential campers a freakin address.Who wants to plan all year for The Project and then arrive at BRC and have to check at Center Camp(in a dust storm) to find out where they will set up their gear?Why would you want to go through that trouble as well?Most of the unregisterd camps you refer to are made up of old time friends and colleagues.Few unregistered camps try to recruit through these pages.

I know it is difficult for one person to pull everything together.I have been doing it virtually alone for 10 years now.BRC is full of unpredictable people and events.On thing you can control(via placement) is your camping location and address.Do yourself a favor next year and register the 80's camp.It's simple and costs nothing.Have a good Burn. omar

SHAKEY

80'S CAMP

Post by SHAKEY » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:09 pm

A message to all... I have decided to stop trying to pull together 80's Camp for 2009... Just not enough commitment and too much negativity from others and that defeats interest from others. In the beginning my intention for 80's Camp was simple... And that was for all involved to have a stress free good time and have some fun with a great decade... Unfortunately it's just not fun anymore. So to all... Have a fun safe burn.

Shakey :?

Return to “2009 Theme Camps”