Camp "Adopt a Shy Person"

cullen

Post by cullen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:53 pm

free hugs or cuddles too.

Aggrav8d

Post by Aggrav8d » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:15 am

Camp name: Shy No More (SNM)?
Hugs are easier to transport. I have a budget of exactly $0 right now.
Those are all great ideas! I'm a little nervous about how to secure the camera when I'm not around. (not that I have a video camera at this point...)
cullen - yes, i wish i had stickers or buttons or something as flair.

HughMungus

Re: Camp "Adopt a Shy Person"

Post by HughMungus » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:29 pm

Aggrav8d wrote:If this sounds like a camp you'd enjoy, or you just have an idea to add, post in this thread.

Thanks!
Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but you could have little classes on how to meet and interact with other people...and practice sessions where shy people practice being not shy. As a former shy person who swung wildly the other way, that would be fun.
It's what you make it.

cullen

Post by cullen » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:32 pm

if i was going this year i'd help ya out.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Aggrav8d wrote:Camp name: Shy No More (SNM)?
Hugs are easier to transport. I have a budget of exactly $0 right now.
Those are all great ideas! I'm a little nervous about how to secure the camera when I'm not around. (not that I have a video camera at this point...)
cullen - yes, i wish i had stickers or buttons or something as flair.
SnM: Shy no More :lol: Now thats def edgier, I've been trying to think of some good acronyms, I like that one.

What do you mean securing the camera when your not around? Do you seriously expect yourself and the other Shysters to venture forth into the overwhelming interaction that is Burning Man? :lol: Seriously though, if it's being done as a true theme camp then there should be a structure to it, a schedule for when so and so will be the official video dude or dudette.

Do they make disposable video cameras like the reg. cameras you can buy at rite aid etc?
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:25 pm

really nice. SNM :) Add an actual Free HUgs event to it all... have ppl complete an easy task by a specific time & meet up somewhere for the event. I'm an odd mix, but I'd like to help out somehow. Face painting does sound like a good fit, and you don't really have to get expensive stuff. Hmm... I'd go the other way on the chemicals though, do a sober to graduate thing...

Oh, have em work the inconvenience store :) Classes sound nice too, I might research a bit on that.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:16 am

please remember that some of us on the playa are not only Never Nudes, we are fervently anti-hugger.

Anyone who attempts to hug me will get an automatic reflex response of my knee to your groin.

Just a friendly warning to all of you "touchies" out there.

A handshake will suffice, thank you.
Frida Be You & Me

Coyote88

Post by Coyote88 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:47 am

this is such a good idea
quite commendable!!!!!!

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:28 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:please remember that some of us on the playa are not only Never Nudes, we are fervently anti-hugger.

Anyone who attempts to hug me will get an automatic reflex response of my knee to your groin.

Sure, lets hear you say that after you've met JKisha :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

cullen

Post by cullen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:43 pm

let me know if you actually do this i'd be willing to chip in some buttons.

Aggrav8d

Post by Aggrav8d » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:12 am

Cullen - As far as I know we are a go and the logistics are being worked on *right this very second*

xanaxfairy

Yes!

Post by xanaxfairy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:48 am

I could not agree with this idea more. As a shy person, I think going out with someone a little more outgoing will make the experience so much better...even if we don't necessarilly pair up in such a way, just having a camp that is shy friendly is an awesome idea, as many people want to feel and experience very much, but are limited by their inhibitions. Sometimes people have a problem with trust; maybe the playa could be the perfect healing ground for them...with outgoing, welcoming people at the camp that are willing to give a little extra effort for the shy ones; I think both will find the experience highly rewarding, as some people need that extra push, and, once we get it, you will come to realize that extra effort was worth it, for our real selves will shine through under the appropriate conditions (friendliness, trust, comfort, respect)...

xanaxfairy

friend

Post by xanaxfairy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:13 pm

One example of how a friend helped me was last year, my first time as a virgin, when he took myself and some other shysters to the major areas, center camp, the man, oppulent temple, and just gave us a little guided tour that was really sweet. So, even doing something as simple as this could help someone really get out of their shell....also, I hear alcohol helps : ) So, maybe we could hop on a shy shuttle bus or something similar...or a shy bar hop.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:22 pm

I had two people come in the gate that couldn't say anything, even with coaching from friends and considerable motivation.
Is there a best approach for this?

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:45 am

One on one.

Some people who are very shy can only deal with a one on one situation. For such people such relationships are very delicate. Trust is a very, very important issue. It is difficult to to be laughed at or ridiculed for making a mistake. Most especially in groups. The perception that other people are really laughing with you is a hard concept to get around for some shy people. Limiting yourself to one on one minimizes the damage. But if that one person then goes out and "blabs" the trust is destroyed, often to never be regained.

The shy person at the gate knows that ringing the bell and making playa angels is just a silly ritual. He can see that everyone is being made a little bit of a fool. He even knows that this is OK. But we have all heard our freinds talk about how stupid and foolish some other person was for doing or acting in such and such a way. Everyone wants and needs to see themselves in a good way. The only mirror we have is our freinds and if the image they project of someone else is percieved to be negative, how then do we dare turn on the light and let them see us? So there the shy person stands, he knows it is OK, his freinds have told him it is ok to be silly. But there is this little doubt and he hesitates. Then the moment for spontinaety passes and he feels like a fool for letting it pass and knows that everyone can see how foolish it is to not respond. and now that that moment has passed, he does not know how to gracefully recover, Never mind that there is no graceful way to recover, nor is one needed). Then his freinds speak up to encourage him and leave no doubt that everyone will know that he is silly and foolish. So now it is pointless to respond and would just make him seem a bigger fool. And all the while the encouragement from his freinds is making him smile inside because he knows they like him. But how can anyone like you who thinks you are a fool? Yet you know they do. There is the paradox.

Spontanaety. The ability to act with abandon is desired by most shy people. Getting there is difficult. Alcohol helps because it gives us an out. but some people are still gonna pass out before they can let go. I do not know the answer. I do understand it for I have been there.

Don't know if that helps any but there it is.

Oh yeah... it never really goes away I think.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Just having a camp where shy people can gather
knowing it's a place where it's okay to be shy
is a good thing.

rosemaryww

Post by rosemaryww » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:09 pm

Love this idea!

I'm a little shy myself, and found I didn't interact and meet as many people as I would have liked to at my virgin burn last year. But once i feel comfortable in a non-threatening situation or group I can be quite outgoing.

So for another idea:
As a higher level of 'graduation', you could encourage people who enter the camp identifying as "shy", group B, to join group A at some point in the week!
- hang out with a more outgoing person for a bit - participate in a class - met some people, gain some confidence - THEN take another new, shy person under your wing and share what you've gained.

klondike_bar

Post by klondike_bar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:34 pm

when they arnt looking, dose them with a bunch of mdma and shooms. theyll meet a lot of super-nice people that day.

serious note: dont dose anyone unless they have full understanding of the drug.

rana

Post by rana » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:23 pm

I really like this idea! I am going to BM for the first time this year, and my good friend I thought was coming just backed out, so I will most probably be traveling there and camping with people I'm not completely comfortable around. I went to a regional for the first time in November and found how uncomfortable it could be not knowing anyone there and feeling shy. I was part of a theme camp and hung out with them most of the time, but it would be nice to have a single person to take you under their wing and help you warm up. I hate to come across as snobby or uninterested but it can be hard for me to open up to the playful, outgoing spirit at the burn. I think being on the playa with so many people helps with the idea of anonymity, at the regional you bump into the same people over the course of a few days. I'd love to help out with SnM in some way if it happens!

Aggrav8d

Post by Aggrav8d » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Well as far as I know it's still going to happen.

Curious fact: I was born on the Burnal equinox, International women's day. So I guess I have something to look forward to in the cold dark of a rainy vancouver spring.

mabu

Post by mabu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:26 pm

I think the idea is great, and I would definitely participate... so keep me on your list and PM me with any details.

I saw in some film clip about something similar... A "Costco Soulmate trading station" or something like that - where you would sign up, and exchange your soulmate for the address of someone else and go on a quest to find them... that sounded cool also. I'm all about any activity that facilitates people getting to know each other - maybe someone will come up with a list of camps that do this in some kind of creative way?

Aggrav8d

Post by Aggrav8d » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:33 pm

I'm still in love with this idea but my closest camp-mates say "maybe we should wait until we've been going a few more years, and have experience with well run camps."

I haven't decided how I feel about that, yet.

The Costco wholesale find-a-soulmate was PACKED in 08. Long, long lineups.

mabu

Post by mabu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Well, I am all for the idea. I will help out with any camp doing these types of events.. contact me if anyone wants help. I am not sure where I'm camping yet but I will help no matter what.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Aggrav8d wrote:I'm still in love with this idea but my closest camp-mates say "maybe we should wait until we've been going a few more years, and have experience with well run camps."

I haven't decided how I feel about that, yet.

The Costco wholesale find-a-soulmate was PACKED in 08. Long, long lineups.
Too shy for Shy Camp?

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:04 am

Why give up? Your camp does not have to be something elaborate. A card with things to do and some chill space where folks can talk about their achievements is all it takes. Add a couple of seminars. If you put out an invite I am sure you could get some speakers.

You know, overcoming shyness doesn't mean you have to act outrageously or be the life of the party everywhere you go. Yet that is often the perception. It is the same with theme camps. You do not have to be the biggest, flashiest or most popular camp. You do not need to have the capacity for thousands of people.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:03 pm

True.
The experience is what counts.

yumba junkie

Great idea!

Post by yumba junkie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:04 pm

I love what I'm reading so far. What a compassionate thing to do, you would do far more good than you may realize. I think it is good that the idea has lots of room to grow in size and complexity. I like what someone said, start small. Just schedule a few event times in the BRC guide and make a sturdy sign to put in front of your camp to announce the events. Just a shy person's social hour would do great things. I found that permission was something I needed at BM last year. I worried that I was bugging people by going into their camp. Even if some event happened there, I worried that I was there at the wrong time. Some camps felt a little exclusive, maybe just my own broken perception, but the result was the same.
One thing that BM is, is a spark. If you start small this year, you will attract many devoted camp mates for the next year who will bring their energy, ideas and labor. Maybe former shy people who will help transform people next year. This is how AA works. Synergy.
The seed of this idea is compassion so it is blessed from the beginning. Wonderful stuff! I look forward to visiting your camp!!
Luxury is the enemy of observation.

xanaxfairy

shy

Post by xanaxfairy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:26 pm

~Trust is a very, very important issue~
I could not agree more with this statement! The ideas mentioned above for this shy camp should work very well, being based on compassion and understanding. And the SnM name is great haha... perhaps a little bondage play, too, would release inhibitions...just a *pain*less suggestion : )
:twisted:

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:22 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:please remember that some of us on the playa are not only Never Nudes, we are fervently anti-hugger.

Aww, sounds like someone has a case of the "Muundays", I think you need a *HuG* :D
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Post by alt12 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:45 am

this is a great idea. I'd like to volunteer to pair up with a shy person, along as the shy person is good looking and willing to put out....

Return to “2009 Theme Camps”