ACLU Camp for 2009

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:04 pm

When a campmate and I were heading out of BRC this year, we were stopped by the police and asked if we knew why we were being stopped. He told us that when you cross from federal land to state land, you must come to a full stop. There were no signs to indicate this in any way and there was no intersection that might have required a stop. Then the nice policeman asked if that was marijuana that he was smelling. (it was not) He was given an annoyed answer and he did not request to search the vehicle, but it's this kind of crap that's being done to burners that is causing the problem. A traffic stop for no reason, and a guess that you may have someting illegal in your car, and then a request to search the vehicle. I would imagine if you don't give permission to search it, they call in the police dogs to sniff it out and if you do give permission, well, you gave them permission to search. This is a huge problem durning the week of Burning Man. I have seen cars stopped randomly or for being told that they are going 2 miles per hour over the speed limit and then the "treatment" starts.
I am not sure if an ACLU camp is the right idea, but I do know that calling the Black Rock Rangers for help is not going to stop the cops from doing this year after year.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:13 pm

You have to understand, the Black Rock Rangers have no official or legal authority. After all, their slogan (I'm paraphrasing I think) is something like "Making reasonable excuses for your stupid behavior since 1995." If a cop or LEO wants to hassle you, there's not a damn thing a Ranger can do to help. What Rangers do quite well, however, is preventative action to keep you from getting into trouble in the first place (suggesting that you not smoke that joint in public, do not set off those fireworks you are carrying, etc.). In this regard they do a fine job. When they're sober.

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:05 pm

hsdavis wrote:When a campmate and I were heading out of BRC this year, we were stopped by the police and asked if we knew why we were being stopped. He told us that when you cross from federal land to state land, you must come to a full stop.
I think that was his test to see if you were stoned. If you believed him, were probably stoned, which seems like probable cause to me.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Don't ever give someone permission to search.

If they have a reason, they won't ask.
I once locked my car and told a trooper I would wait patiently with him for a warrant if he wanted to search my car.
Try to be diplomatic about it, of course.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:39 am

hsdavis wrote:When a campmate and I were heading out of BRC this year, we were stopped by the police and asked if we knew why we were being stopped. He told us that when you cross from federal land to state land, you must come to a full stop...
Not only NO but WTF??

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
hsdavis wrote:When a campmate and I were heading out of BRC this year, we were stopped by the police and asked if we knew why we were being stopped. He told us that when you cross from federal land to state land, you must come to a full stop...
Not only NO but WTF??
Yes, we knew is wasn't true, but he had us pulled over and then asked if that was marijuana he was smelling. It was not! There was nothing he was smelling. Neither of us smoked even cigarettes. It was just a reason to stop us and then go fishing. When he realized we were more annoyed than showing fear, he allowed us to go on our way. This type of shit is common practice during BM week in northern Nevada. Being stopped and searched for allegedly going 3 miles over the speed limit. Again, it's just a reason to search a vehicle. If you happen to be a local, you are sent on your way.

DeepSpace
Burning Since: 2006

aclu camp...

Post by DeepSpace » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:42 pm

...would actually be a good idea. While I have had no problem with LEOs at BM...I KNOW that it is not normal for LEO's to be so civil...things can change and since the aclu has done more to defend my (and your) rights than any entity in the usa, why not have them there?

By the way, I have encountered, on separate occasions, two Rangers who were royal assholes.

LisaLuckyOne

Re: aclu camp...

Post by LisaLuckyOne » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 pm

DeepSpace wrote:By the way, I have encountered, on separate occasions, two Rangers who were royal assholes.
Yeah, I remember those two...
It's better to be Lucky!

Tom2

Post by Tom2 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:09 am

i didnt see ANY cops last year. id similarly like to see no aclu. thats default world mess.

maybe stuff their camp somewhere in the back so you dont need a constant reminder of the negative things in the default world? or put it outside of the event so people can hash out those issues before even entering BM.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:12 am

Tom2 wrote:I didn't see ANY cops last year.
How do you know?

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:14 am

It seems like a good idea, but there really are already people within BM ORG that deal with issues of this nature. And the LEO feedback form is followed up on. On another note, I know this isn't really the forum for it, but LEOs are servants of the people, and although there are bad apples out there, it doesn't mean they are all out to violate your civil rights.

**It may surprise some to know there are quite a few LEOs that actually attend the burn as well without "working" it**
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:59 am

A better suggestion would be to have an office with representatives from the ACLU in Gerlach as well as a "camp office" for the ACLU set up near center camp. This will allow immediate reporting for these gross abuses by the police and accurately log these incidents to be used for defenses later should the need arise.
So who will bell the cat?

Like so many fantastic ideas what ends up happening is that the person(s) who comes up with it is all to ready and willing to suggest that someone else do the hump work.

My question to the original poster? What are you willing to do to make it happen?

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Post by alt12 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 pm

screw the ACLU.....send petitions to the liberal-in-chief. Obama has already signaled that he will be deferring to states regarding marijuana laws (even Bill "never inhale" Clinton didn't do that....fucking hypocrite).....It won't stop the Nevada LEOs but perhaps he can be convinced to have the BLM swat teams to chill out....any thoughts? Someone must know someone who knows Obama....I mean come on.....

lhyr

Post by lhyr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:56 pm

i smoke tobacco and use a plastic zip lock bag to hold my loose leaf shag. i have been accused many times by fellow burners of rolling joints when i was just getting my nic-fix taken care of, as apparently the gesture of reaching into a zip-lock bag and rolling something indicates illegal to everyone who can see it.

that being said, NOT ONE OFFICER SPOKE TO ME, and i can tell you i smoked a shit ton wandering the esplanade.

likewise, on the way out of playa, one of our two vehicles was stopped and its cab searched, revealing nothing. other than the delay getting home, they thought it was hilarious. who would hike drugs OUT OF burning man? guess it must happen...

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:19 pm

I would welcome an ACLU camp, I am proudly a card carrying member of the ACLU. An ACLU camp would give the chance to spread the word about their defense of our civil liberties.
In my years of participating in Burning Man I have seen no abuse of power by law enforcement. I talked with the watch commander for the sheriff's office last year late in the week and asked about the number of arrests, he said there had been very few, most had been by BLM for outstanding warrants.
If you do not wish to have a problem with the police, do not speed, do not drive like a moron, if you are stopped do not be an asshole, you may not be able to talk your way out of a ticket but you can easily talk your way into one.

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Wow, it's actually happening. This can only help improve the activities of the LEOs! :D
**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

ACLU AT PLAYA INFO

The Nevada Chapter of the ACLU will be at Playa Info to answer any
questions you may have about interacting with law enforcement in Black
Rock City. If you want to know what to do if you happen to be stopped
for questioning by law, enforcement then come on by. Received a
citation? Come on by.

Hours:
Tuesday through Thursday: 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM
Friday through Monday: 12:00 Noon to 9:00 PM

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:44 am

Do you think they actually took my advice and invited the ACLU to the event? Did they have to pay for their tickets?

Return to “2009 Theme Camps”