Calling Performers, Artists, Aerialists, Social Betterers!

Erinina7
Burning Since: 2008

Calling Performers, Artists, Aerialists, Social Betterers!

Post by Erinina7 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Mir Productions (www.mirproductions.org) seeks to create an interdisciplinary camp at Burning Man 2009 integrating and addressing the Burning Man ten principles, multicultural awareness and communication and ways to carry home social change through an integrated array of performative, participatory and structural aspects. The 2009 Burning Man Theme is…EVOLUTION!!

Initial ideas and room for creators:

➢ ‘Jungle Gym’ aerial dancers: integrating pole work, harness, trapeze and silk work in a giant Jungle Gym dome structure.
➢ Building the jungle gym dome structure and making it its own artistic element.
➢ Guerilla Theater, Staged Theater, Puppetry, Open Mike, Yoga, Anything you can see happening inside the Jungle Gym day or night.
➢ Interactive/Participatory Work: Environment, Race, Violence (Juicy Evolution topics!): Address a social issue through installation, art, guerilla theater work, body paint, mask work, etc.
➢ Camp Shade Structure: Should we have a bar, a haunted house, a hookah lounge, or just a private shade structure to relax and share with the playa? Does building this excite and inspire you?
➢ Recording: How can we record the experiences & participation that occurs, do you want to be a videographer, create a visual art installation where people can record their experiences, are you a photographer, do you want to create a web-based project of the experience? Should the recordings just be for the playa, or how can we share them in the default world?
➢ Organizers: Camp managers, production managers, individual project managers/stage managers, Directors: we need you!
➢ Music: DJ’s to create at night, let people just chill OR dance, DJ’s to create their own shows night or day, DJ’s/composers to create for the aerial dance and possibly theatrical components.
➢ Goal: To get on a prime spot on the Esplanade. This is the center of it all, and camps must be open or active in some way 24 hours a day to camp here—thus the desire to integrate a number of people and projects into the camp. After all, performing and creating are fun, but so is relaxing and experiencing everyone else’s camps!

Basically, if you feel drawn to create something, head up one of these areas, have your own ideas, let’s discuss. A few people are already tentatively assigned certain aspects, but things can always change, collaborate and grow. This entire idea is based on what I felt was missing from my Burning Man experience this year (not that it wasn’t a fantastic, mind-blowing experience!). But, having a creative, talented, like-minded community of friends doing things that even Burning Man hasn’t seen yet, and sharing the commitment and work-load so that everyone has time to create, as well as play are the foundation of this plan.

Deadlines: Speak with me with your ideas and how you think they’d integrate with the work as a whole and with any questions so we can start to form the structure of the camp. Purchasing and having your ticket in hand by May 31st is your commitment and confirmation to be a primary creative element in the camp. Much of the major structure of what we can and can’t do will be determined by who can commit before that time. For instance, we desperately need a structure to create aerial dance and I don’t know how to build it, so if we don’t have someone who can…that changes things, etc. If you choose to purchase a ticket later in the year or last minute, you may be able to camp with us, space allowing, but the large scale of the project requires some initial commitment in order not to be left last minute without key elements (like the Jungle Gym! Or shade structure). I have to submit plans to Burning Man by the 31st for how big approximately I need the camp to be as well. Please let me know asap!

Cost :

Camping gear, travel costs, food, water, alcohol etc. These costs vary depending on if you have a tent, need a tent, rent an RV, drink, absolutely must have gourmet food, etc. Burning Man is about radical self-reliance and there is something to be said for the fact that you are there surviving in a dessert for a week on your own resources, so you will be responsible for these costs. Know also that a big part of Burning Man is sharing and a gift economy, but that doesn’t mean showing up and expecting others to ensure your survival. There is a possibility that the camp dues will cover water, but because of dietary restrictions, I feel it’s best for people to provide their own food. People will end up sharing meals and beverages of course, so I do not feel like this takes away the aspect of community. Though, I am always open to discussion. Additionally if we were to provide hookah or alcohol as something to share, this would be an added cost to the camp in camp dues, but an excellent way to give back to the playa and encourage participation, so once we’ve formed our core group and have an idea of what our budget might be, we can discuss what that cost would be and if we’d like to provide it.
Camp dues: The goal is to keep these as low as possible while still creating our camp of awesomeness. Expecting $100-$200 to be put in from each member to camp in our camp will hopefully pay for art supplies, costumes, the shade structure, any DJ equipment we’re lacking, the Jungle Gym, potentially water and alcohol if we choose to have a bar (maybe we’ll have a water bar!?) and the transport of the larger elements to the playa—(yep I’ll probably end up driving some big UHaul across the country! DJs-start mixing me some driving music!).
Obviously, this is a very initial outline of ideas and information: hopefully it helps you in deciding if you’re interested!

Erinina7

Calling peformers, artists, aerialists, social betterers!

Post by Erinina7 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Mir Productions seeks to create an interdisciplinary camp at Burning Man 2009 integrating and addressing the Burning Man ten principles, multicultural awareness and communication and ways to carry home social change through an integrated array of performative, participatory and structural aspects. The 2009 Burning Man Theme is…EVOLUTION!!

Initial ideas and room for creators:

➢ ‘Jungle Gym’ aerial dancers: integrating pole work, harness, trapeze and silk work in a giant Jungle Gym dome structure.
➢ Building the jungle gym dome structure and making it its own artistic element.
➢ Guerilla Theater, Staged Theater, Puppetry, Open Mike, Yoga, Anything you can see happening inside the Jungle Gym day or night.
➢ Interactive/Participatory Work: Environment, Race, Violence (Juicy Evolution topics!): Address a social issue through installation, art, guerilla theater work, body paint, mask work, etc.
➢ Camp Shade Structure: Should we have a bar, a haunted house, a hookah lounge, or just a private shade structure to relax and share with the playa? Does building this excite and inspire you?
➢ Recording: How can we record the experiences & participation that occurs, do you want to be a videographer, create a visual art installation where people can record their experiences, are you a photographer, do you want to create a web-based project of the experience? Should the recordings just be for the playa, or how can we share them in the default world?
➢ Organizers: Camp managers, production managers, individual project managers/stage managers, Directors: we need you!
➢ Music: DJ’s to create at night, let people just chill OR dance, DJ’s to create their own shows night or day, DJ’s/composers to create for the aerial dance and possibly theatrical components.
➢ Goal: To get on a prime spot on the Esplanade. This is the center of it all, and camps must be open or active in some way 24 hours a day to camp here—thus the desire to integrate a number of people and projects into the camp. After all, performing and creating are fun, but so is relaxing and experiencing everyone else’s camps!

Basically, if you feel drawn to create something, head up one of these areas, have your own ideas, let’s discuss. A few people are already tentatively assigned certain aspects, but things can always change, collaborate and grow. This entire idea is based on what I felt was missing from my Burning Man experience this year (not that it wasn’t a fantastic, mind-blowing experience!). But, having a creative, talented, like-minded community of friends doing things that even Burning Man hasn’t seen yet, and sharing the commitment and work-load so that everyone has time to create, as well as play are the foundation of this plan.

Deadlines: Speak with me with your ideas and how you think they’d integrate with the work as a whole and with any questions so we can start to form the structure of the camp. Purchasing and having your ticket in hand by May 31st is your commitment and confirmation to be a primary creative element in the camp. Much of the major structure of what we can and can’t do will be determined by who can commit before that time. For instance, we desperately need a structure to create aerial dance and I don’t know how to build it, so if we don’t have someone who can…that changes things, etc. If you choose to purchase a ticket later in the year or last minute, you may be able to camp with us, space allowing, but the large scale of the project requires some initial commitment in order not to be left last minute without key elements (like the Jungle Gym! Or shade structure). I have to submit plans to Burning Man by the 31st for how big approximately I need the camp to be as well. Please let me know asap!

Cost :

Camping gear, travel costs, food, water, alcohol etc. These costs vary depending on if you have a tent, need a tent, rent an RV, drink, absolutely must have gourmet food, etc. Burning Man is about radical self-reliance and there is something to be said for the fact that you are there surviving in a dessert for a week on your own resources, so you will be responsible for these costs. Know also that a big part of Burning Man is sharing and a gift economy, but that doesn’t mean showing up and expecting others to ensure your survival. There is a possibility that the camp dues will cover water, but because of dietary restrictions, I feel it’s best for people to provide their own food. People will end up sharing meals and beverages of course, so I do not feel like this takes away the aspect of community. Though, I am always open to discussion. Additionally if we were to provide hookah or alcohol as something to share, this would be an added cost to the camp in camp dues, but an excellent way to give back to the playa and encourage participation, so once we’ve formed our core group and have an idea of what our budget might be, we can discuss what that cost would be and if we’d like to provide it.
Camp dues: The goal is to keep these as low as possible while still creating our camp of awesomeness. Expecting $100-$200 to be put in from each member to camp in our camp will hopefully pay for art supplies, costumes, the shade structure, any DJ equipment we’re lacking, the Jungle Gym, potentially water and alcohol if we choose to have a bar (maybe we’ll have a water bar!?) and the transport of the larger elements to the playa—(yep I’ll probably end up driving some big UHaul across the country! DJs-start mixing me some driving music!).

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:35 pm

train-wreck.

cant even spell "Desert" right.
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:00 pm

I feel warm and fuzzy already.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:56 am

anyone?

why do I have to be the asshole?

is it better if it comes from another East Coaster?

i need some guidance here.
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:02 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:anyone?

why do I have to be the asshole?

is it better if it comes from another East Coaster?

i need some guidance here.
I like you to go first, ......just in case there's any "shootin"...............

go ahead, set the standard......I'll provide your straight lines..........

feeling as warm and fuzzy as I do..........and, I accept you, just as you are.........and am tolerant.........

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:05 am

that commercial only reinforces my misanthropic tendencies.

she is kinda cute, but that only goes so far. I think a nice Ball-Gag would improve the overall package.
Frida Be You & Me

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:05 am

Better to hookah up with a Westie that can supply your monkey bars and HEAVY SHIT. That way ya don't have to burn 1500 gallons of gas round trip for a load too big for ya.

Good luk on th Esplanade idea...That goes to camps with proven records of success and something like 10000 posts here.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:06 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:that commercial only reinforces my misanthropic tendencies.
then "damn me, damn me all to hell"............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:10 am

That goes to camps with proven records of success and something like 10000 posts here.
thats the OFFICIAL story. The REAL deal on esplanade frontage involves sexual favors and payola in the form of Fish Scale Raw Dog-Diggity.
Frida Be You & Me

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:31 am

And not a single mention of nudity, bacon, or PBR. Think I'll pass.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:33 am

hey, this thread is posted twice........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:34 am

bump to put both next to eachother
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:10 am

mmmmmmmmmmm........... Debutantes

http://www.mirproductions.org/members.htm

i take back all the snark....i apologize profusely from my coif to my gucci loafers.

i did not know you were Sarah Lawrencers, and hence, the rich party girls with Theatre major degrees that rock my world.

would you consider being one of my future ex-wives?
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:56 am

hey, this thread is posted twice........

because it's just THAT good.
Frida Be You & Me

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:08 am

There is nothing wrong with dreaming big as long as you can be happy scaling back. There probably isn’t much of a chance getting a camp placement on the esplanade, and the jungle gym dome might be a bit ambitious to construct and transport but an interdisciplinary troop that could be mobile, performing on the open playa, along the esplanade, using other camps open stages, and the key hole spaces might be a good place to begin. kind of taking it to the people if you know what I mean.

One thing to consider: a camp is a collaboration very few people want to work just to fulfill your dream it has to be a shared dream and a true collaboration with major decisions and ideas coming from everyone. You will not see “your personal dreamâ€

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:14 am

Zule is wise.

I am just a jester trying to thicken the skins of those that might get burnt in the white hot light of day on the playa.

forgive my nastiness.

ps. i got dibbs on the Asian girl
Frida Be You & Me

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:21 am

Did i just read a press release? No, wait, it was an eplaya posting. My bad! But it sure felt like i was reading a corporate press release.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Erinina7

Post by Erinina7 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys! Obviously, this is just a call to see if anyone in the burning man community is interested in anything similar to what I've been thinking...and dreaming big, I find for myself anyways is the only way to get anywhere when producing. I guess I come off as being pretty idealistic. ;) I really appreciate all the positive and negative feedback and help!

Oh, and Simon, I'm sorry to say that I'm not a rich debutante (paying for my education myself actually, and will be for some time), so I may not be an ideal future ex wife. But I'd be happy to put the ball gag on you anytime if that's your thing. Just look me up on the playa. ;)

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:01 pm

*heart flutters*

who turned on the microwave?
Frida Be You & Me

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:12 am

Wouldn't it be cool if Cirque du Soleil did Burningman?

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 am

Wouldn't it be cool if Cirque du Soleil did Burningman?

only if there was a Buffet included. And I aint talking "Jimmy" or "warren".
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:00 am

I wanna be a social batterer.........we could add them to Simon's buffet............

a multi-use food, for sure...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:48 am

Erinina, you must include free sushi. Only then I am interested.

Just kidding, I am sure your thing will be very cool.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:58 pm

can you imagine sushi by friday on the playa?...........egad............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

niko

:) jungle gym, cool

Post by niko » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 am

hi ya
im a modern dance choreographer
i play on everything, i love the dance trapeze, silks, domes, and almost any structure stable enough to have fun on

your project sounds interesting

i definately want to be kept up to date on your developement

cheers

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 am

Nobody likes social climbers.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:37 am

You haven't had anyone climb your silk lately have you?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:12 am

Is that supposed to read as dirty?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:34 am

Could be dirty...

Return to “2009 Theme Camps”