EARLY ARRIVALS

littlewing

here's the rub

Post by littlewing » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:29 pm

we have to have our camps built by sunday, but not enough peeps to actually make that happen. and the other thing is that we have peeps coming from all over the country and hong kong, flying into reno. they have bought their tickets... and now there's a chance they will have to stay in reno until monday?
really, there has got to be a better method here. we are partners who build the city with each other, we make it interesting... or not. and really, being treated in this way really is like a slap int the face.

I hope we hear something soon. we work all year on making this happen, as do all of you, our members are scratching and saving in this shit economy when many of us have been laid off, making a huge and really dear investment of time and money in Burning Man, and now it just seems hurtful that BMorg can't get things together in a timely manner.

IMHO

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Our entire camp got 1 (one) early entry pass. I guess one of us can go in early and stake out the area and shoo away any vagrants trying to set up camp in our spot. This is quite a mess we have brewing here.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:09 pm

I am so sorry to hear of all the issues with camps getting in to set up prior to opening day.

We really do thank you people for all your efforts and we hope to see ya all on the playa. I guess we just gotta

ROLL WITH IT

and here is a little something to make ya all feel better. see ya in a few weeks.

[youtube][/youtube]

I hear the sandworm didn't even get a daytime MV permit..but they will be rolling at night.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Killbuck
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:11 pm

I'd wait it out....

they may be having server problems.... and looks like they are. Problems never happen at convenient times.

Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

stormfeather

Post by stormfeather » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:48 pm

Must be sever probs.
My Early entry passes are trickling in...
Some arrived this morning, and one this evening all with the same "sent" time.

Still have not rec'd all that I asked for, Still hopeful.
Camp Sietch Grabrear & Shai-Hulud MV
6:00 and Fossil 2009
http://sandworm.tikimojo.com

The Spice Must Flow!

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:08 pm

Our passes started trickling in about midnite. I've been getting one or two every few hours including one just a few minutes ago. I am going to consider it like watching popcorn cook. You just have to wait til the kernels stop popping before you figure its done! I have been assured that we are getting the number we requested. Patience seems to be required here.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Killbuck

Post by Killbuck » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:13 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:You just have to wait til the kernels stop popping before you figure its done!
Oh now wait just a minute there!!!! I never stop popping! Thank you very much!!!!

bigbluedoggy

Post by bigbluedoggy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Hahahaha! I love it Kernul!! It will be so good to see all you fine folks!

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Killbuck

Post by Killbuck » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Good to see us?

OMG you are so fucking DOOMED!!!!!

Killbuck

Post by Killbuck » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Ace of Kittens
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Stardust Lounge

Post by Ace of Kittens » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:25 pm

I already had my freakout earlier this morning about this, but the fact is, I should have known better. I send emails for work, and all mass emails have to be batched or they will be treated as SPAM. Another early arrival pass has JUST shown up, with a timestamp of 22 hours ago.

So we just all have to take DEEP BREATHS and wait... easier said than done, right? I agree with a previous poster though - a little more communication would go a long way, so that people wouldn't sit around stewing, etc. But, que sera, sera!

Deep breaths!!!

Zang

Post by Zang » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:26 pm

leftbraindp wrote:Is it just me or does everything seem very up in the air till the last minute this year?
In 2008, placement was announced 26 days before the start of the event, and early arrival passes started mailing 12 days before the start of the event.

This year, placement was announced 28 days and early arrival passes started arriving 18 days before the start of the event.

Empiricism says it's just you.

Killbuck

Post by Killbuck » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:33 pm

Zang wrote:
leftbraindp wrote:Is it just me or does everything seem very up in the air till the last minute this year?
In 2008, placement was announced 26 days before the start of the event, and early arrival passes started mailing 12 days before the start of the event.

This year, placement was announced 28 days and early arrival passes started arriving 18 days before the start of the event.

Empiricism says it's just you.
Good point!!!

Thanks... my hemaroids feel better already!!! TG!!! Perspective helps. meanwhile I shall keep up the visual distractions... KK.

Lens

Post by Lens » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:51 pm

[quote="Astrolabe"]It is frustrating to have a theme camp and an art car (one that looks like art, not like a paper shopping bag with holes cut out) and to be given two early entry passes. What are the two people going to do. We CAN'T unload the car with only two people. We can't set up camp without the other two trailers. Basically, we will have two people who can't do shit sitting and waiting for other people to show up so maybe we can get set up before the end of the event. That we helped make happen. WTF?[/quote]

Well, if it were me, here is what I'd do:

Drive in and park. #2 drives in and parks. Head back to gate. Drivers #3 & 4 who don't have early entrance passes stop at gate, get in the car of Driver #5 and go home. Drivers #1 & 2 bring in the second two trailer loads.

Object 1 complete. All required trailers in and parked.

Step two gets a little more complicated. Here is where you just have to start working and keep working until your done. I recommend doing it with a smile because smiles seem to have playa magic and maybe someone will stop by and help for a bit. Maybe even a few someones. Playa magic can happen. The key is to keep working.

As for 2 people being unable to unload the car w/ only two people; I'm spending this weekend putting in a 1000 lb water fountain w/ just two people, and a bit of know-how, but w/ no more tools than what I'll have on playa.

That's just me. YMMV.
http://www.campabovethelimit.com

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:59 pm

leftbraindp wrote: Is it just me or does everything seem very up in the air till the last minute this year? Besides not knowing about our camp and early arrival, we've got people vaccilating back and forth about going, camping with us, etc... it's very frustrating as the person who seems to be the only one (in our camp) actually being responsible...
Keep in mind that the llc moved their offices this summer. That's probably been the biggest spanner in the works.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Astrolabe

Post by Astrolabe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Lens[quote]Well, if it were me, here is what I'd do:

Drive in and park. #2 drives in and parks. Head back to gate. Drivers #3 & 4 who don't have early entrance passes stop at gate, get in the car of Driver #5 and go home. Drivers #1 & 2 bring in the second two trailer loads.

Step two gets a little more complicated. Here is where you just have to start working and keep working until your done. I recommend doing it with a smile because smiles seem to have playa magic and maybe someone will stop by and help for a bit. Maybe even a few someones. Playa magic can happen. The key is to keep working.

As for 2 people being unable to unload the car w/ only two people; I'm spending this weekend putting in a 1000 lb water fountain w/ just two people, and a bit of know-how, but w/ no more tools than what I'll have on playa. [/quote]
[/size]

Ha! Leapfrogging does SOLVE the problem. And I am sure that playa magic will happen, no matter what my facial or hand expression is. A lot of hard work and passion has gone into our project as a gift to our BRC community, whether they freaking like it or not. No, seriously, those who feel it know it. Our intentions will be felt. So we don't really need all that much prodding to keep up the hard work, even on the playa. But I don't know, maybe we can try harder. I will look into it. As soon as the car arrives back from the art car factory, I will get up from my lounger and see what it takes.

But thanks for offering a solution. Good luck with the fountain. And remember to smile.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:13 am

That's probably been the biggest spanner in the works.

my god, i have not heard that since 2 lifetimes ago in WWII.

sudden flashback to dunkirk.
Frida Be You & Me

kiuney

Post by kiuney » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:18 am

[quote="Zang"][quote="leftbraindp"]Is it just me or does everything seem very up in the air till the last minute this year?[/quote]

Empiricism says it's just you.[/quote]

I was having the same feeling (about things seeming rushed and late this year) until my co-camp leader pointed out the same timeline to me. I'm thinking that when you spend the better part of a year planning for something, nearly *everything* 2 weeks prior is going to feel "late". (Especially when it's as important as placement and EA passes.)
Deviant Playground
www.deviantplayground.org
"Scarred for Life...Again."

Paperboy

Post by Paperboy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:00 am

So, let me get this straight, just work harder and go home, then come back.

You live in Gerlach or Empire don't you, certainly not Reno, or say, Gainesville, Florida, or Daphne, Alabama, or New York, or New Jersey, or say San Diego, right?

I'm not sure exactly how that's supposed to work, but just getting to Burning Man presents a sort of logistical challenge to begin with, i'm not sure any of us want to see the scenario you propose take place. I mean, you have driven the road before haven't you?

Actually, i have a better plan, let's just go, just like we've been planning, and see what happens.

I know bmorg(they hate that name, sorry) has had it's share of problems this year, well, we've had a few too. Something to do with the economy, and for some reason, Burning Man is no cheaper this year either.

Sure, we're patient, i mean, after all, we now have 5.75% of the early arrival passes we asked for. We made arrangements for that when we booked our flights months ago, oh, you didn't. Sorry.

I'm holding off posting what i really feel, because, after all, placement will get around to reading this too, and while for the most part they do an incredible job, with little resource, this is pretty intense stuff for our little team, and we're a little curious as to how we should best handle this.

Meanwhile, i'll keep checking here every hour, seeing what trickles in, and hope for the best, but plan for the worse, and if it turns out fine, i'll know that what they say, and what they do, are often at odds with each other.

Good luck to you all, thanks for building one of the greatest city's on the planet, i can't wait to see our home again.

[quote="Lens"][quote="Astrolabe"]It is frustrating to have a theme camp and an art car (one that looks like art, not like a paper shopping bag with holes cut out) and to be given two early entry passes. What are the two people going to do. We CAN'T unload the car with only two people. We can't set up camp without the other two trailers. Basically, we will have two people who can't do shit sitting and waiting for other people to show up so maybe we can get set up before the end of the event. That we helped make happen. WTF?[/quote]

Well, if it were me, here is what I'd do:

As for 2 people being unable to unload the car w/ only two people; I'm spending this weekend putting in a 1000 lb water fountain w/ just two people, and a bit of know-how, but w/ no more tools than what I'll have on playa.

That's just me. YMMV.[/quote]
aoxomoxoa
in dust we trust

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:09 am

Are there any controls in place that would prevent having two shifts of EA crew, one working in BRC the other sleeping in lot D, 3 mile or whatnot and then swapping every 12 hours?

Technically you would never exceed your alloted EA numbers on Playa and still run a 24 hour operation.

Killbuck

Post by Killbuck » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 am

Snowah Zark

ChILL PILL

Post by Snowah Zark » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:28 am

i have it on good authority that all early arrival passes will be arriving....they are good from point of entry (for us the 26th) all the way up until the gate 'Opens"...

everybody breathe.

in

out

repeat.

there.....isn't that nice....no biggie....
Mi casa y su casa.

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:30 am

that is, of course, unless you have pissed someone off.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

bigbluedoggy

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:32 pm

The popcorn is done! We have now received all of our requested passes. It took 41 hours. Patience.

See you in the dust!!!

Woof!

mars

Post by mars » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:58 pm

How do I know if my popcorn is done or not?

We requested 7 passes, received 3 so far and no more since 1 a.m. last night.

This popcorn better be good! I'm hungry!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:21 pm

You want weird.... I have been watching the early entry passes trickle in for quite some time. The final one popped up this morning. This afternoon another popped up. I checked all the numbers and they have sent us one more than we requested for our camp. It turns out that this will really help as the wife of one of the set up crew got time off from work to go and we weren't certain how we would handle the extra person. You just never know......
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

littlewing

Post by littlewing » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:39 pm

well here we are, with 10 of our 28 requested passes. I wonder if this is it?

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:57 pm

Has anybody not received any?

I'm getting a little worried...from what I understand, our theme camp will become public property at 12:01amMonday

littlewing

Post by littlewing » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:03 pm

something has to be fucked up. they have to want us to be in a have our camps built. something must have gone wrong with the server. this can't be all there is- especially for those who haven't received anything at all.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:20 pm

They are trickling them out so that they don't get caught in spam filters and don't crash email systems I have heard. If you are still getting passes then just sit back. I still don't have all of mine but I am not worried. Whatever will be will be.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Return to “2009 Theme Camps”