EARLY ARRIVALS

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Hey My placer LOVes Me! He is soooo cute- ( he put me on his map even though I was one person LOL) and that gate hottie Moose! ohhhh sorry got caught up in thinking about ALL the Sexy Worker bees! LOL

So Happy to read that the City will be up and running when its supposed to be and that D Lot won't be full of PO'd Camp Workers!

wish I had time time Time to go in early this year :cry: :cry: :cry:
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:24 pm

wedeliver wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:..So I can leave the tanker truck and water cannons at home this year?
Bring 'em... think crowd control!
or you could loan them to Bidet camp...........
so they don't have to use up all their Listerine early.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:27 pm

littlewing wrote:Honestly, how hard would it be to come on here and say" don't worry folks, we will get you all your EA passes. There was a glitch in the system, please don't panic"
Remember, you are talking about the LLC here. Their first instinct is to play it close to their vests. I've said it before: damaged people.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mars

Post by mars » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:30 am

I know this is basically typical mismanagement behavior, but I'm just feeling really frustrated.

I just read the latest email and my placer writes something about a 10% limit to early arrival passes per camp. Well why didn't they tell us that before when we were in the planning and application writing stage? Yah yah, typical.

Then he says, we can write him explaining the reasons we need more than we got, but (in bold letters) not to write him if we were already in contact with him.

This means that because I already wrote him (a very friendly, neutral and business-like) letter asking if perhaps there was a glitch, that I will piss him off if I write again to explain the actual reasons we need more passes, while people who didn't previously write in can now plead their cases with an explanation?

So now I'm not sure which will be better for our camp, to write again and risk pissing him off, but give him a very good explanation as to shy we need more, or to keep quiet? I'm thinking perhaps squeeky wheel is better here.

Squeeky Wheel...hey that's a good playa name!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:42 am

squeak:

what are you going to do, piss them off and get less passes?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Paperboy

Post by Paperboy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:46 am

So know what you mean here. We are basically scared to move one way or the other for fear of a mistake, but simply can not build the camp with out a few more folks, who will be in Reno early anyway.

All this wasted energy that could have been spent on something else.

What a debacle.

For the most part, it sounds like the majority of folks got what they needed,or there would be greater outcry here.

Time will tell.

[quote="mars"]I know this is basically typical mismanagement behavior, but I'm just feeling really frustrated.

I just read the latest email and my placer writes something about a 10% limit to early arrival passes per camp. Well why didn't they tell us that before when we were in the planning and application writing stage? Yah yah, typical.

Then he says, we can write him explaining the reasons we need more than we got, but (in bold letters) not to write him if we were already in contact with him.

This means that because I already wrote him (a very friendly, neutral and business-like) letter asking if perhaps there was a glitch, that I will piss him off if I write again to explain the actual reasons we need more passes, while people who didn't previously write in can now plead their cases with an explanation?

So now I'm not sure which will be better for our camp, to write again and risk pissing him off, but give him a very good explanation as to shy we need more, or to keep quiet? I'm thinking perhaps squeeky wheel is better here.

Squeeky Wheel...hey that's a good playa name![/quote]
aoxomoxoa
in dust we trust

mars

Post by mars » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:11 am

Well, we'll see what happens, I got respectfully squeeky. Now I can only hope I get some grease!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

paperboy...hey now, got some things to talk about, can't win for trying, but we will survive. ;-) ;-)
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Please let us know if upon arrival they suggested you shut your whiney fucking mouth.

I'd really be interested in hearing.
Desert dogs drink deep.

mars

Post by mars » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Hahaha! Are you that sensitive and weak-minded as to call that whining and be upset by it? Laughable! :-D

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Hey Mars,

Check your PMs'

Jack
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

stormfeather

Post by stormfeather » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:22 pm

No reply after 4 polite e-mails to Sweetthang, since the weekend. About to get impolite.

Anybody else hear from her?
Camp Sietch Grabrear & Shai-Hulud MV
6:00 and Fossil 2009
http://sandworm.tikimojo.com

The Spice Must Flow!

Ruleryak
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Awesomesauce

Post by Ruleryak » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:23 pm

So I saw one response yesterday saying they were mailing the missing ones directly. To where? Pretty sure our camp provided no physical address in the real world where that could work out. I keep hearing "don't panic" but we're not even listed in the 2009 placement list (when I have direct confirmation from Sweetthang and HepKitten that we were placed and approved for passes) and now we don't have passes to boot. Will we even be listed in the gate handouts? Here's hoping but frankly I have about zero faith at this point in that.

Just thought I'd chime in here to say that camp Aftermath is one more camp in terrifying limbo at this point. As is the same with many of you we waited until we got solid confirmation that we were placed and had EA passes before making plans but now those plans really can't change (because change costs money and we put everything we had and then some into this already) so for all of our sake I hope this gets resolved and soon. I'm sure a printed email saying I'm supposed to have my passes isn't going to count the same way the actual passes would have...

kiuney

Post by kiuney » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:27 pm

[quote="stormfeather"]No reply after 4 polite e-mails to Sweetthang, since the weekend. About to get impolite.

Anybody else hear from her?[/quote]

So sorry to hear that. Is it possible that the placers have left already? (Granted, there should be someone manning the store if that's the case but that might explain the silence.)
Deviant Playground
www.deviantplayground.org
"Scarred for Life...Again."

stormfeather

Post by stormfeather » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:30 pm

The generic email I rec'd yesterday (sent to all of center camp- see above) said she was off to a meeting and would deal with this mon eve. IT is Tuesday afternoon (PST same as her) now. Time to get SQUEAKY!
Camp Sietch Grabrear & Shai-Hulud MV
6:00 and Fossil 2009
http://sandworm.tikimojo.com

The Spice Must Flow!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Ruleryak wrote:So I saw one response yesterday saying they were mailing the missing ones directly. To where? Pretty sure our camp provided no physical address in the real world where that could work out.
That was a jokey jokey, get it. :roll:

Read the 3 posts above it and you might see it.

hate to think that someone out there took it seriously.

They will get the passes straightened out, and then you will get what you get.

it's that simple.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

littlewing

Post by littlewing » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:51 pm

wow i also took it seriously.
To date, we have not received any additional passes, so we are still in panic mode.
Is anyone in IT? You def do not hit "send" on a new untested program and then go on vacation. You sit by and expect the worst and get ready to help those who are effected.

so- I'm still pissed, not that it means anything after all. I'm just a fucking nobody who refuses to "shut my whiney mouth."
[size=67]** actually joined in 1999 but couldn't remember my password after so many dead brain cells[/size]

Killbuck
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 am

We are sill waiting to, but were assured our passes will be coming.

The placers are rather overwhelmed, but we did get through to ours and it's just gonna take more time.
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

howjon2001

Post by howjon2001 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:02 am

Dick - you rapscallian scallywag - I took at as a joke at first - but I guess I wanted to believe there was a good ol' fashioned commonsense solution to this stupid unnecessary cockup.

<Is>

As an old IT'er I couldn't agree more. I wonder if this has anything to do with them advertising for a new IT Project manager in July?
"As a dog returns to his vomit; so a fool to his folly."

Ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:51 am

oneeyeddick wrote:
Ruleryak wrote:So I saw one response yesterday saying they were mailing the missing ones directly. To where? Pretty sure our camp provided no physical address in the real world where that could work out.
That was a jokey jokey, get it. :roll:

Read the 3 posts above it and you might see it.

hate to think that someone out there took it seriously.

They will get the passes straightened out, and then you will get what you get.

it's that simple.
Sorry, didn't know it was a joke (and still don't really get it reading back over the posts) since it was said in a matter of fact way in the middle of a thread full of people looking for help regarding a very serious issue. At the moment it appears our placers are gone and we're fucked so please excuse our panic. I'm sorry if "you get what you get" won't fly for many of us that made plans after we were told by our placers that we had X number of EA passes.

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:36 am

Wow, I enjoyed reading the complaints about the lack of early passes handed out.

I'm curious as to HOW early they were allowed to come in?

Suggestion,
Help another camp put their shit together.
Then have them help you.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:59 am

Turnip wrote:Wow, I enjoyed reading the complaints about the lack of early passes handed out.

I'm curious as to HOW early they were allowed to come in?
As early as one can justify it to the BORG (although in practice the Wednesday before seems to be the general limit, but even that must be justified appropriately).
Turnip wrote: Suggestion,
Then have them help you.
Helping other camps, unless you have an excess of workers to begin with, really will not work (well, one of the camps could get set-up if nothing was done on the other). In reality what will happen is camps are only partially setup monday, with full-setup by wednesday/thursday. and significantly less interaction as everyone is busy setting up until thursday, then too tired to go out. This effect also happens if the weekend before is too windy to work. So, if the EAT pass Snafu continues, AND it is very windy, expect a half empty city until mid week.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Paperboy

Post by Paperboy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:09 am

For those who long for the good ol' days, we may be on our way back to them!

Bring the man back down to earth, put him back on the hay, and let's get this party started.

I'm so over the EA passes thing, i'm just going.
aoxomoxoa
in dust we trust

mars

Post by mars » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:29 am

Turnip wrote: Suggestion,
Then have them help you.
It's not as easy as it appears. For example, we have three vehicles with 7 planned passengers, in three different cities, already packed, each with 1/3 of our theme camp. And now we only have 3 passes.

Ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Just a quick suggestion - can anyone who DIDN'T have their passes by Monday morning, but has them now please add a post to this thread to give the rest of us at least a little hope? We've been emailing without responses and I'm sure we're not the only camp that's still terrified at this point.

Like the last poster we can't simply change our plans.

Here's another thought... are there any camps that could downsize their early entry teams at least temporarily? For instance - mars needs 4 passes (7 total, got 3) - can anyone PM him and offer one of their passes and cut their crew back a bit?

We could cut our crew back by one person for sure but we don't have passes at this point at all so I can't offer. Granted I wouldn't like to cut our early crew back at all but we're willing to cut it back to the bare minimum (basically those of us that couldn't get other rides and are essential to setup) if it meant helping out a placed but seemingly forgotten theme camp. The passes are transferable right?

Best case - they get their passes anyway and let you know you can have yours back if you need them

Good case - we actually get completely overlooked, but the actions of a few good samaritans allow people to at the very least get in and claim the space needed

Worst case - we get overlooked and get no passes and no one can help and burning man is short quite a few theme camps until mid-week

Peace of mind is worth a lot more than some people think and I'm sure we aren't the only ones losing sleep over this.

osiris

Post by osiris » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:59 pm

I received my four requested passes on Tuesday morning..

I did send a message to the placement team asking if we got approved for any, but I did not get any response. I never heard anything from our placer (Scar) until Monday night, when he sent out the announcement indicating they are still being sent out.

We only requested passes for 1 day early (arrive on Sun, the 30th.) I wonder if they sent the passes out based on how early they are valid for, which may explain the long delay in getting our passes.

Skye2kx
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: RhythmWave

Post by Skye2kx » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:59 pm

I've been following this thread with keen interest and finally felt compelled to express my empathy....

Our camp of almost 100 did not get placement nor, of course, early arrival. Since being informed of that... ahem... oversight, we've been scrambling like veritable headless chickens trying to figure out how to get in and set up for an events schedule (which, of course, will not be printed in the WhatWhenWhere) that begins Monday at 10:00am. Needless to say, we've been knocking (loudly) on many MANY doors for almost three weeks.

And we are just one of the 130 camps that didn't get placement. And boy did I think that sucked....

But now I realize that even HAD we been placed, well... BFD. We might still be screwed for early arrival, so what's the point?

I truly feel for ya'll. Sucks that we're all basically competing for the same "extra" EA passes.

I wonder if there's anyone sitting back right now completely satisfied with their placement results.

Ah, the haves and the have nots.... Wasn't last year the American Dream? :shock:

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm thinkin' perhaps there should be a sign @ center camp when camps who need help can advertise & folks who get done with their set up early can go help them. Like "day labor".
don't forget to floss

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:07 pm

I wonder if there's anyone sitting back right now completely satisfied with their placement results.
Yep.

I'd think in a wild assed guess that there are hundreds of happy theme camps totally oblivious to your peril.

Our camp is placed, packed and ready to go, passes printed.

Good luck.

Dustdevil
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:10 pm

I have no complaints. We received less space than we asked for, but we got early entry and the neighborhood we requested. Though, I am not oblivious to the problems of many of my friends.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:20 pm

...all of the Idaho camps were denied placement this year...so no early arrival (unless they are camping with a camp from another State)
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “2009 Theme Camps”