EARLY ARRIVALS

mars

Post by mars » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Me too, Jafe. At this point I'm thinking screw their "placement", I didn't really like the spot anyway...now I'm free to camp where I want!

I've been passing through the stages of grief...from thinking this must be a mistake, to anger, to bargaining, to sadness, and now I think I'm coming to acceptance.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:59 pm

wedeliver wrote: The people that make up burning man the camping trip, burning man the org are just people like you and me. We are a lot closer in thinking because of our love for each other. much love
YUP! And don't forget...... BurningMan is not for the meek of heart..... Bring your Ten Principles, and be prepared for what it throws at you........... :D
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

penrose

Post by penrose » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Our camp captain reserved me an early arrival pass but I can't use it, can't get up there till Monday. Now I'm thinking, maybe I should make an effort to get up there Sunday and if my camp has it together, I'll go around the neighborhood looking for people who are understaffed. I'd rather work and help people, than fart around at home packing. BUT I'm driving two other peeps, so dang.

Next year I'm going to take a month off and help with the whole damn thing, I swear.

howjon2001

Post by howjon2001 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:26 pm

$20
"As a dog returns to his vomit; so a fool to his folly."

mars

Post by mars » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:43 pm

And the bidding has started at $20...do I hear $25?!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

littlewing

Post by littlewing » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:57 pm

I don't believe in magic but I do believe that somthing very FUCKING SPECIAL HAPPENS AT BLACK ROCK CITY.
Something special happens in my camp year 'round. And it takes a long time and a lot of work to get our folks together, from all over the US and all the way from Hong Kong. It IS a big deal that BMorg can't send us a simple email that says"you will get 10 EA passes. Then we can plan for it. It really IS a big deal that we put all our hearts and souls and energy into this event to find that we won't be able to make it happen.. And we aren't the only ones. "Something special happens at BRC" because we all make it happen. This is my 13th year, topless shirtcocker, so I know what it's all about. And yeah I have met Larry et al too. I'm sure whatever you have to tell me, I wouldn't weep, or whatever it is you said. I used to date one of the guys in the upper muckity mucks , so I know who they are and what they are like. At this point, although they are people just like you and me, they aren't acting like it. Their heads are in the clouds... maybe not but how can we know??? And besides, I know it's hard, and they are trying, but they are stuck in the past and they need to be open to new ideas, and whatever... I'm just saying a little communication goes a long way. Our guys already started on their cross county trips to get there, and they know they have to book rooms in Reno until Monday, and yeah that sucks.
[size=67]** actually joined in 1999 but couldn't remember my password after so many dead brain cells[/size]

littlewing

Post by littlewing » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:18 pm

You know what? forget it. I'm done... noting we say or do will make any difference in the outcome. We will party in Lot D and wait until they are sick of us and let us in. See you there folks! I'll look for you and bring the vodka.
[size=67]** actually joined in 1999 but couldn't remember my password after so many dead brain cells[/size]

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:45 pm

mars wrote:And the bidding has started at $20...do I hear $25?!
$25 and a pound of hot, sizzling BACON !!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Killbuck
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Well, maybe something will happen at the last minute.

Maybe so.
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

POWERCHAIR

Post by POWERCHAIR » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:18 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killbuck

Post by Killbuck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Hey, I'm just like you- what do I know.

(Walks off into the dark Reno alley..

...somewhere a dog barks.)

POWERCHAIR

Post by POWERCHAIR » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:29 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killbuck

Post by Killbuck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:42 pm

HA!!!!

I have the spy rock now!!!!

It finally came back to me just last week!!

One of the funniest things ever to happen to me on the playa!!!!!!

In fact it is right outside my front door!!!

Visitors love it.

POWERCHAIR

Post by POWERCHAIR » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paperboy

Post by Paperboy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:37 am

I can't wait to see you all in D lot on Thursday.

Let the adventure begin!

I get where you are coming from shirtcocker, and know that it is US that make it happen.

Should the LLC communicate w us? HELL YEAH. I'm off the grid soon, and won't know, even if they do, so it's a little late for that.

As for the plan of separating your loads so that only peeps w EAT's are in one vehicle, wouldn't it be better to put one person w/o in each one? Look the Ticket Taker in the eye and say, 'hey, by now you know what happened, and why we are here, we already dropped half our krewe anyway, let us in...' ' please' .

Storming the gate is OUT, that will get us nothing, and besides those are our brothers and sisters guarding it. Being nice, and bringing gifts acknowledges that we are all in this together. and we are.

I can't help but think the BLM had a hand in causing this mess, they seem intent on killing the goose.

Good luck folks, this is going to be the best burn yet, and i ain't talking about no 'man'.

Top dogs, don't show your face unless you want an earful! yeah, i said it.

I leave you with this: "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." ~Walt Disney
aoxomoxoa
in dust we trust

POWERCHAIR

Post by POWERCHAIR » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:23 am

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:54 am

Actually the Peons are the ones that ultimately caused the clusterfuck.

Let me explain.

When the whole early entry thing was put in place it was a list of names provided by the camp lead and IDs.

Then the theme camps realized that Joey couldn't make it early and Liz got layer off and could take his place. Raul was delayed at customs but Ramon was not on the homeland security list an could step up.

So a bunch of flaky camps went wa wa wa waaaaaah waaaaaaahmbulance!

So townhall meetings were held where there was more waaaaaaaaah, and the BORG said fine, you get bar codes in emails.

Then some Internet gearheads invented all those filters and spam killers. Who knew!

So, here you all are in a clusterfuck which was designed to placate the unreliable flaky burners that cannot follow up on commitments but were vocal enough to snivel out change.

Sucks, don't it?

Paperboy

Post by Paperboy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:00 pm

Yeah, Token, you got yer finger on it!

Way to help out!

Kind words and a can do attitude always come through in times of stress.

You ARE the man.

feel the heat.
aoxomoxoa
in dust we trust

POWERCHAIR

Post by POWERCHAIR » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:25 pm

POWERCHAIR wrote:No names were not used it was all bar code's ( if you need 10 pass's you get 10 bar code's ) no names were used,
It was the Internet gearheads fix/new soft wear crashing and loosing data sent out some got all pass's some got 1 or 2 or ? others got 0.
The non pad peon's or busting there fucking ass's off fixing the pad IT's FUCK UP.
Names were used up until '07. The anonymous barcode started last year.

In my own humble opinion, I think creating a secure website with a unique log on for each camp/village point of contact would be a better solution. Assign "x" number of passes under each camp/village name and the point of contact logs on and downloads their passes from the server.

It would eliminate the bulk email and choking off the server snafus.

A lot of the missing passes were probably simply dumped from the receiving mail servers all over the country once they started creating log jams in the pipe.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:30 pm

wedeliver wrote:Check your trash or deleted mail, it is impossible for someone to delete mail from your mail server. Now if it was a mail that had a link in it, then the link could go bad.
Your friendly network admin can delete them at will from the mail servers. Once you download them from the server into your mail program, they are relatively safe.

Large files get deleted all the time for busy servers all the time when they start gumming up the works.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

POWERCHAIR

Post by POWERCHAIR » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mars

Post by mars » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:42 pm

Ya know what...and don't take this for anything factual, but I don't think they're working on it.

The last email from my placer, which was now 2 days ago, indicated that he was working on getting some passes to camps that received zero passes, but nothing about getting passes to camps that already received one or more.

The BM staff is probably already on the playa. They may or may not even KNOW that people didn't receive the passes they sent. My placer doesn't seem to understand that I did not receive the passes he said they sent.

Who knows? Without communication we are left only with conjecture. All I know is that my camp is working on plans B,C, and D. Cuz if we don't have enough passes by the end of today, plan A is impossible. I do trust that all will work out fine in the end, who knows, maybe even better, but I will also say that if they don't come through for us, I will never be an official theme camp again. This just ain't ok.

POWERCHAIR

Post by POWERCHAIR » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:51 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:00 pm

I do feel your guys pain. I was one of the heads of a denied camp. However, please don't take it out on the gate people. They didn't make the call so don't shoot the messenger when dealing with us. Gate crashing is sounds fun and all but keep in mind we are volunteers who do not want to be ran over simply because you are not an early entrant.

Everything will most likely work out in the end. It just may take some creativity and not aggression.

mars

Post by mars » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:01 pm

I just went outside and cried The Sky Is Falling... and nothing happened!! Was something supposed to happen?? What's wrong with those people up there, can't they fix the damn sky, it's falling all over my new fuzzy coat!

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:41 pm

DoriumLux wrote: Everything will most likely work out in the end. It just may take some creativity and not aggression.

I just hope you're my gatekeeper when I get there in 4 days........... :lol:
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:17 pm

Gatekeepers are not beyond the scope of cash bribes....just sayin'.........
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Nick Collide wrote:
Ruleryak wrote: Why can't they take names and have them at the gate for people with issues like this?
I know it's not high-tech but wouldn't it be so much easier and cleaner to just have a list at the gate of the approved early arrival peeps?

"On the list?" Yep

"Got your ID?" Yep

"You're in." Thanks
That's how it used to run. Problematic, because there are several lines at gate. Is each going to carry a clipboard? someone loses a page? computers arenot reliable out there either.
Anyway, they moved over to this system instead and it wasn't this buggy last year.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

littlewing

Post by littlewing » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:35 pm

This system worked perfectly last year and made things soooo much easier. It really was a nightmare to get people on the playa when it was name+ID. This system is better, it's just the output that got frakked up.

Return to “2009 Theme Camps”