Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Killbuck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Ruleryak-

Were you placed?
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

Dactyl

Postby Dactyl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Has anyone heard why they reduced the number of EA passes in the first place? It seems like some still have no idea on how many they're actually supposed to have O.o.....couldn't these two things have been taken care of with 2 simple notices? I think with this mess so late in the game they're gonna have a really hard time denying a camp the same resources (builders) they had last year at the gate...esp with camps of 25 getting 20 or more passes X_x

I don't think ANYONE is planning on taking anything out on the greeters LOL...I'd think most builder teams have ridden in this rodeo before. Burner spirit=on.

Ruleryak
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Awesomesauce

Postby Ruleryak » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:55 pm

Kernul Killbuck wrote:Ruleryak-

Were you placed?

Aye, Camp Aftermath is at 6:00 & D.N.A. (somewhere). There was a problem and for some reason we didn't end up on the official list that we all checked to see where we were so at first I thought we were denied like many others. But that didn't sit right because we turned all paperwork in early with full detail, a very comprehensive LNT plan, and the plan to be 75% interactive space and 25% personal space so there was no reason anyone would have denied us. After talking with a few people we found out it was a mistake and Sweet Thang confirmed that Aftermath was placed and had EA passes coming. That was on the 7th and I was told we'd have the passes within the week so it was about a week ago that I started getting worried.

I brought up the fact that I wasn't on the list a few times since and no one has felt the need to update it so for all we know there are other "denied" camps that didn't know they actually got placement. I'd have said they'd know when they get their passes but who knows if that'll ever happen. I haven't received a reply from placement@ or sweetthang@ for my emails from a week ago so at this point my other contact (who I'll spare here) that was able to help a bit by at least saying that yes I do have passes coming to me has been the only response I've received since the 7th. However, that person said it was still up to Sweet Thang to fix the problem and get in touch with me so I have no idea if or when that will happen.

At this point I think a blanket statement would be much appreciated and maybe some sort of acknowledgment that a problem exists and some proposed solutions would be nice. If there really are 50 camps or so that are in this boat, shouldn't that be only a day's work or so for one person let alone a team of people to fix? Something simple like "email us at blahblahblah@burningman.com with how many passes you have -what their code numbers are if applicable, and how many you had requested and we can let you know what will or will not be done" - would be incredibly appreciated.

I'd ask the same, but we all know Apokiliptika was placed - it would be a travesty if Terminal City was overlooked or denied. Did you get all of your passes (I recall in this post you saying you didn't but can't check back over all of it at the moment) or just part (or none) of them?

Killbuck

Postby Killbuck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Yes, Terminal City is placed, and no we did not get all our passes, but only a couple of em. We were assured by our placer we'd get them. But now it's only enough to at least have a body or two to mind the property, which will rapidly vanish by the weekend without at least some presence.

But set up?

No.

We'll have to wait till the biblical flood of humanity on Monday and get in line... we'll prolly be set up by late aftn weds... but without the bells and whistles.

The Booby Bar alone takes three full days to set up and get operational.

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Gate crashing is starting to sound liek a good plan...

Everyone behind the bus, we're going through.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

Sensei

Postby Sensei » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Okay, but I get to drive the bus!

Ruleryak

Postby Ruleryak » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Kernul Killbuck wrote:Yes, Terminal City is placed, and no we did not get all our passes, but only a couple of em. We were assured by our placer we'd get them. But now it's only enough to at least have a body or two to mind the property, which will rapidly vanish by the weekend without at least some presence.

But set up?

No.

We'll have to wait till the biblical flood of humanity on Monday and get in line... we'll prolly be set up by late aftn weds... but without the bells and whistles.

The Booby Bar alone takes three full days to set up and get operational.

You see?? Any placers looking at this forum? Anyone care?? This is a great freaking camp that I and THOUSANDS of people were looking forward to visiting and now we get a diminished experience because they will not have time to set things up properly. The description for this year sounded kickass and then some. Now I'm hoping extra hard that this gets resolved one way or another. Can anyone donate some barcodes to the Kernul and his Kohorts?

Granted, my camp is new and relatively small so if we get screwed burning man isn't hurt that much because of it - but larger more well known camps like Apokiliptika and the Post Office camp getting screwed over makes me very sad. I know in a week and change we'll all be there and hopefully will be in joy mode, but I really think this is a problem that can and should be fixed before opening day gets here...

Sensei

Postby Sensei » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:24 pm

What, you've never seen an urban assault pig before? These things rock. You can smash and crash the gate, and then enjoy a nice pulled pork sandwich afterwards.

BTW - that's a lunch truck that operates downtown.

Killbuck

Postby Killbuck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:43 pm

We at least have enough to send Granny and Jed Clampet to mind the land till we get in Monday...

... so any extras that people have should go to those placed camps that have NO passes at all.

Ruleryak

Postby Ruleryak » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:48 pm

CapSmashy wrote:Gate crashing is starting to sound liek a good plan...

Boy howdy do I wish that just pushing our way in would work but as the BORG states they rely on police mainly for search & rescue and deportation from the city. I'm sure they'd kick us out if we did anything that rash, but I don't know where they get off deciding on such a black and white absolutely no exceptions stance on figuring out problems like this. Why can't they take names and have them at the gate for people with issues like this? Why do they have to act like they made no mistakes and force people to wait the extra 24 hours when all they want to do is get in and setup their camp?

POWERCHAIR

Postby POWERCHAIR » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Ruleryak wrote:Why do they have to act like they made no mistakes and force people to wait the extra 24 hours when all they want to do is get in and setup their camp?

Well, for us it will be a 3 day wait at the end of a straight through, 1700 mile road trip in a school bus if our plan b option doesn't get approved.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

Nick Collide

Postby Nick Collide » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:14 pm

Ruleryak wrote: Why can't they take names and have them at the gate for people with issues like this?

I know it's not high-tech but wouldn't it be so much easier and cleaner to just have a list at the gate of the approved early arrival peeps?

"On the list?" Yep

"Got your ID?" Yep

"You're in." Thanks

Nick Collide

Postby Nick Collide » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Maybe all of this is just to find out who the real burners are. :lol:

(Sorry - inside-TC joke, I guess.)

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:46 pm

I had my first criminal arson charge when I was 6 years old, and now I have flames shooting out of my dick.

I hope I pass the test.....
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Postby wedeliver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:08 pm

are you the kid who set an all wood andy gump outhouse on fire at a construction site with a workman in it?

no that was my good friend and neighbor David Moorse.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

littlewing

Postby littlewing » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:27 pm

And so they have us by our proverbial balls. If we want to play we have to play by their rules. That's really what it boils down to isn't it? Make some noise and you get bumped to the back of the line, or carted off the property altogether.
So suck it up and play along.
Right?
** actually joined in 1999 but couldn't remember my password after so many dead brain cells

dragonfly Jafe

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:40 pm

...on the other hand, we can just show up on Monday, not worry about spending the first half of BM working to create a theme camp for others to enjoy while others are having fun, and have fun ourselves.

Then when asked why our camps are not setup, we can shrug and say "ask Larry, he is responsible for this mess - I guess he just doesn't get it anymore".
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

POWERCHAIR

Postby POWERCHAIR » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneeyeddick

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:43 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:...on the other hand, we can just show up on Monday, not worry about spending the first half of BM working to create a theme camp for others to enjoy while others are having fun, and have fun ourselves.

The lazy fucker inside of me likes that idea.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

wedeliver

Postby wedeliver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:47 pm

littlewing wrote:And so they have us by our proverbial balls. If we want to play we have to play by their rules. That's really what it boils down to isn't it? Make some noise and you get bumped to the back of the line, or carted off the property altogether.
So suck it up and play along.
Right?

Yeah, it seems that way, I could tell ya stories, how I met actiongrl and harry larvey, but you might cry.

Be respect full, don't be full of shit, have documentation for what you claim.

The people that make up burning man the camping trip, burning man the org are just people like you and me. We are a lot closer in thinking because of our love for each other. Burning the man is bull shit, it is just the THING that brings us together, but it's really a small part. Burning man is a place for miracles, and I mean that, I don't believe in magic but I do believe that somthing very FUCKING SPECIAL HAPPENS AT BLACK ROCK CITY.

do you? if you do then have some fucking faith. believe in the rabbit, the frog and the playa gods for they giveth and they taketh, but it's YOU that makes it happen.

I am so sorry for the issues that have come up this year, I hope that we learn and benifit from the experience, for all is not lost, unless we give up

much love

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

gyre

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:56 pm

You have to have photo id at the gate.

But if you look like your passport photo, you are too sick to attend and will be turned away.

Dactyl

Postby Dactyl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:22 pm

Uh no..There's way too much work and money that gets pumped into putting up these theme camps to not be treated with RESPECT. So yeah if people are upset, let them be.

I don't care if you're a volunteer who gets 3 square a day for 2 weeks and a free ticket to do a half assed job or if you're paid to do it. These people should be held accountable (and by these people I mean the ones who are non communicative and playing favorites). There are plenty of others who'd be more than willing and most do a much better job of it.

I was also just informed that this whole EA mess is likely due to economics. Bmorg pays the BLM a per person per day rate while they're on the playa. Since sales are down the EAs are likely being paired down to save a few bucks (something like $4/per day per person). Nice of them to tell us and give us the option of paying a little extra to get our shit up in time, huh?

oneeyeddick

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:31 pm

wrong, dactyl, it is a glitch in the computer system, as many people were told.
They are still trying like hell to fix it, I am sure.

believe what you will, I suppose.

howjon2001

Postby howjon2001 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Gate crashing is starting to sound liek a good plan...

-----------------------------------------

Wow - that reminds of the Gulf War march in SF back in '91. God that was empowering - we were supposed to march straight down Market St but suddenly all turned right at Second and blocked the Bay Bridge for three hours.

Stupid effin concept now; we'd all be gassed and beaten up - but it felt good at the time.

Might be good theater in Lot D though. Get a marching band to head it up - then do a sit-in at the Greeter station.
"As a dog returns to his vomit; so a fool to his folly."

wedeliver

Postby wedeliver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Dactyl wrote:Uh no..There's way too much work and money that gets pumped into putting up these theme camps to not be treated with RESPECT. So yeah if people are upset, let them be.

I don't care if you're a volunteer who gets 3 square a day for 2 weeks and a free ticket to do a half assed job or if you're paid to do it. These people should be held accountable (and by these people I mean the ones who are non communicative and playing favorites). There are plenty of others who'd be more than willing and most do a much better job of it.

I was also just informed that this whole EA mess is likely due to economics. Bmorg pays the BLM a per person per day rate while they're on the playa. Since sales are down the EAs are likely being paired down to save a few bucks (something like $4/per day per person). Nice of them to tell us and give us the option of paying a little extra to get our shit up in time, huh?

Mellow..."These people should be held accountable" you know, if you think about it you could be one of "these people"

come on, put on the RITZ! if ya know what I mean...

much love

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

oneeyeddick

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:38 pm

I can see it now , a buch of hippies in a group, singing...

" all we are saying..... is give me a pass "

POWERCHAIR

Postby POWERCHAIR » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonfly Jafe

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:50 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:wrong, dactyl, it is a glitch in the computer system, as many people were told.

believe what you will, I suppose.

I am sure you are correct OED, but why then do they not at least send out a quick JRS update on the matter and settle people down? Even a "sorry, we screwed up, there is no way to get you your passes now" would be better than silence...

Not saying anything (except "Sorry, we are now leaving for the Playa, you should get your passes eventually") makes the BORG seem guilty of something...if they are hoping the mess will die-down/go-away without action on their part, then they will get less theme camps. It is that simple.

I have all but abandoned hope of getting in early to work my ass off setting up a Plaza camp for others to enjoy, and you know what? It feels like freedom!

Screw Larry Harvey and his little imaginary fiefdom; this year I party with my friends...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Dactyl

Postby Dactyl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:54 pm

[quote="oneeyeddick"]wrong, dactyl, it is a glitch in the computer system, as many people were told.

believe what you will, I suppose.[/quote]

Let me clarify for you...I'm referring to the reason most camps are getting less EAs than requested or compared to 2008. Not why some haven't gotten their emails...most camps are getting way way fewer passes this year or than were requested if I am not mistaken.

Return to “2009 Theme Camps”