Brainstorming for Theme Camp Ideas

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:10 am

hahaha, me too...........except, I'm much older than you, so, got much stranger looks when singing it.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 am

This'll get you started:
[youtube][/youtube]

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:16 pm

I like hammered dulcimers!

[youtube][/youtube]

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:42 pm

That... is effing epic.

Wow.

Barbarian musical camp. YES

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Victorian wrote:That... is effing epic.

Wow.

Barbarian musical camp. YES
Let me know if you are bringing your mandolin, your hurdy-gurdy, or both. ;)

PavementBlues
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by PavementBlues » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:59 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:I like hammered dulcimers!
John Jacob Niles on the Appalachian dulcimer. When I was a kid, one of my dreams was to own a dulcimer.

[youtube][/youtube]

And seriously, I would be SO down to kick some jams at a Barbarian Groove Camp! I've been doing found percussion for years now, so I could bring some good trash to hit on.

Also, I have always wanted to have a Playa Water Sports camp on the Esplanade. Imagine a boat on wheels pulling an inner tube on wheels, playa roller skiing, etc.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Geez! Not the dulcimer I was thinking of!

[youtube][/youtube]

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 am

I'm new to this discussion and a 3 time burner. I've always had a fascination with the plethora of nerf weapons. Could be real fun to have an all-out playa nerf war![/img]

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:46 am

careful:
Dougly will bring out his nerf condoms............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:26 pm

JayBobBoy, by Nerf, I assume you mean nerf shooters. Projectiles on nerf guns are very light and blow away into Moopland very easily. For gunlike implements, the favored choice is some sort of squirt gun.

Now, for boffers (nerf swords), these are very popular on playa. On burn night, in Center Camp, there were several people offering up boffer duels. We had boffers at my camp, got raided by another camp with boffers, then we teamed up and raided a third camp.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:50 pm

That makes way too much sense! Now I know why i've never seen 'em before. Boffers it is! I'll be ready...come and get me!

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 pm

JayBobBoy wrote:That makes way too much sense!
Sorry, I forget where I was. :(

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:27 pm

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:47 pm

"Boffer", what a great playa name!

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 pm

I want to be there on dulcimer night!!! :D
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:33 pm

I have two dulcimers. I can't play well, but I like to fiddle around with them. One shall NEVER see the playa.

Dick de Vries

Post by Dick de Vries » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:35 pm

[quote="Ugly Dougly"][img]http://www.clipartguide.com/_small/1386 ... 6-3932.jpg[/img]

:roll:[/quote] :shock:
why not a killing theme like - the kill of the holy houses - since religion means war - or the opposit and create a fugitive house for all religions

good luck you will work something out

regards
Brainwash47
live is freedom of mind and love. Enjoy it. Show compassion and Art will be a result.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Dick de Vries wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Image

:roll:
:shock:
why not a killing theme like - the kill of the holy houses - since religion means war - or the opposit and create a fugitive house for all religions

good luck you will work something out

regards
Brainwash47
I offer this thread as a scratch pad for everyone who is working out their ideas.
c.1200, "state of life bound by monastic vows," also "conduct indicating a belief in a divine power," from Anglo-Fr. religiun (11c.), from O.Fr. religion "religious community," from L. religionem (nom. religio) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods," in L.L. "monastic life" (5c.); according to Cicero, derived from relegare "go through again, read again," from re- "again" + legere "read" (see lecture). However, popular etymology among the later ancients (and many modern writers) connects it with religare "to bind fast" (see rely), via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods." Another possible origin is religiens "careful," opposite of negligens. Meaning "particular system of faith" is recorded from c.1300.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:16 pm

I wish I still had my dulcimer. I always loved the sound, but the lap top chording albeit traditional, made for not a real carry around instrument. with a neck like a guitar, the chording would be easier. hmmm, drone on top, strum from the bottom, something like this!

Here's what I want. I think I can do it. this is the you tube link. The guy has his advertising scrolling across the bottom of the screen, so I edited.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Elorrum wrote:I wish I still had my dulcimer. I always loved the sound, but the lap top chording albeit traditional, made for not a real carry around instrument. with a neck like a guitar, the chording would be easier. hmmm, drone on top, strum from the bottom, something like this!

Here's what I want. I think I can do it. this is the you tube link. The guy has his advertising scrolling across the bottom of the screen, so I edited.
I have two dulcimers; one is an amazing piece of handcrafted art, the other a mass produced piece of junk. I can't actually play, although I twiddle about with the nice one for my own pleasure. I have no ear for tuning, so it only sounds good to me. Even with the simple numbers instead of notes, I can't read music. If you'd like to have the little Chinese one, I would be happy to let you have it. I thought I could learn, but it is a lost cause. I'm keeping the amazing one; even twiddling sounds fantastic on it.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:I want to be there on dulcimer night!!! :D
ITYM "hammered dulcimer" night. *drink*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:13 am

AntiM wrote:I have two dulcimers; one is an amazing piece of handcrafted art, the other a mass produced piece of junk. I can't actually play, although I twiddle about with the nice one for my own pleasure. I have no ear for tuning, so it only sounds good to me. Even with the simple numbers instead of notes, I can't read music. If you'd like to have the little Chinese one, I would be happy to let you have it. I thought I could learn, but it is a lost cause. I'm keeping the amazing one; even twiddling sounds fantastic on it.
Dang, girlfriend, the Appalachian dulcimer has got to be the second easiest instrument to play. Second only to the autoharp. :)

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Dang, girlfriend, the Appalachian dulcimer has got to be the second easiest instrument to play. Second only to the autoharp. :)
I don't know about that. I'm bad at music, but I can play some pretty mean kazoo!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:11 pm

AntiM wrote: If you'd like to have the little Chinese one, I would be happy to let you have it. I thought I could learn, but it is a lost cause. I'm keeping the amazing one; even twiddling sounds fantastic on it.
Well, shoot, isn't that just the nicest thing? Thank you. I actually gave my dulcimer away because I played it so rarely, and I needed the space. The strummer guitar neck version as a to-be-made item is a wishful project for me as well. Wishing I had it, and thinking of where it would be stored are at odds. (and would I play it?) I told somebody the other day I had 4 guitars and then came home and counted 6. If you want to bring your beater to the playa and make it a playa dulcimer, I'd be happy to share with you some twiddling approaches, give it a trip around the playa, and see if Dougly could put his money where his mouth is on how easy it is to play. ;) I agree that using a noter stick it isn't too hard, but chording and finger picking I find a bit more challenging. Joni Mitchell's Blue has some real nice dulcimer playing on it.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:26 am

Chords are beyond me.... easy or not, I have no true talent. Which is odd, my mother's family put together an orchestra in Brigham City way back when so the young men would have something to do. We're talking Mormon pioneer stock from Denmark, when only male musicians performed outside the home and church. They were supposedly quite good. My grandmotehr played the organ for silent movies before the talkies. Utah is full of musical talent they say. That's why High School Musical was filmed here, LOL, or maybe the tax breaks. And then there's the Osmonds, and David Archuleta ... I guess it isn't something in the water here since I haven't an ounce of ability. Or maybe God is punishing me for not being a Mormon anymore!

I will bring the dulcimer, if I remember, and then we have to find each other!

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 am

Western music is so restrictive. Of all places, Burning Man should be a place to stretch our boundaries of our definitions of music. Make a little noise.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:35 am

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “2010 Theme Camps”