Is your Camp placed?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Just got an email from the Playaevents crew.

The list of camps and locations will not be available through the API until gates open per request of placement team.

I suppose they want us to loose ourselves in the great metropolis.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: No centralized resource for theme camp placements?

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 pm

KestrelSF wrote: There is a reason that folks that put the most effort into participating in the burn tend to avoid even looking at this forum people. It seems to attract the least common denominator of bitching, whining, complaining and quite frankly rude insulting comments about just about every aspect of anything.
That's a very rude, insulting and untrue thing to say. Go F**k yourself. Don't hang here if you don't like it.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Token

Post by Token » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Amen JK.

He sure has a lot of gritty sand in his vagina.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:22 pm

I second that motion, good work JK!!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

dusty_nipples

Post by dusty_nipples » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:29 am

Thank you slvrnmph for compiling a list. Is it okay with you if I spread the word that you have a list going and hopefully you'll get everyone?

jmayer

still waiting for that placement email

Post by jmayer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:02 am

My camp still has not heard hide nor hair from the organizers about our camp's placement. Does this mean that the Evil Space Unicorns camp did not get placed this year? Or did we simply get lost in some beauracratic shuffle? I can't seem to find any information about who to contact.

Sadness.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:24 am

Hi Jmayer,

Contact [email protected]. Put your camp name in the subject box.

Jack
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

slvrnmph
Burning Since: 2005

Post by slvrnmph » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:37 am

[quote="dusty_nipples"]Thank you slvrnmph for compiling a list. Is it okay with you if I spread the word that you have a list going and hopefully you'll get everyone?[/quote]

Absolutely - everyone please spread the list around. I'm working to continue to update it whenever I get any new info.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)

kiuney

Post by kiuney » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Deviant Playground is back for our 4th year and we'll be at 3:00 and Florence. :)
Deviant Playground
www.deviantplayground.org
"Scarred for Life...Again."

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 pm

I do find it frustrating that, until we know which side of the road we are on Cairo, we cannot plan the camp layout for best wind break and shading. It would also determine where our main entrance and private tents will be. So the layout in the application is meaningless! Just a source of irritation,,,,, grumble grumble grumble
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

kiuney

Post by kiuney » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:30 pm

[quote="Trishntek"]I do find it frustrating that, until we know which side of the road we are on Cairo, we cannot plan the camp layout for best wind break and shading. It would also determine where our main entrance and private tents will be. So the layout in the application is meaningless! Just a source of irritation,,,,, grumble [size=9]grumble[/size] [size=7]grumble[/size][/quote]

I hear ya! It would be great information to have. But... we just go in knowing that no map survives the playa.
Deviant Playground
www.deviantplayground.org
"Scarred for Life...Again."

clerkkent

Post by clerkkent » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:48 pm

isn't this the 'master list', sans addresses:

http://earth.burningman.com/brc/2010/themecamps/

and then its up to each respective camp to populate their data?

Token

Post by Token » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Nope. That is the list you get from the database via the API. They won't release the other details until gate opens.

Camps can link pictures via flickr tags.

Events are automatically added as well.

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:21 pm

anyone know why this change has occurred. anyone heard from placement as to why? i can't believe that this is just because of camps not wanting to be listed, something else must be going on. I don't particularly care but it would be nice to know who is where before the gates open.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

Token

Post by Token » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 pm

I expect this may have something to do with it:

Fwom the Wabbit:

BURNING MAN SEEKS DJANGO DEVELOPERS FOR PAID CONTRACT OPPORTUNITY

The Burning Man Technology Department is seeking a Django developer or two for a paid contract gig. We need your help to get an exciting new Playa Directory ready to premiere in Black Rock City! The initial 3-month project would begin immediately and includes providing some onsite support in Black Rock City. There is the possibility for additional work in the Fall and Winter months, and maybe even longer.

Bay Area location is not required, but is preferred. This position does require you to go to Burning Man 2010! There will be work on the playa, but plenty of time for fun too!

If you are an experienced Django pony rider and savvy developer, a collaborative team player, and committed to creating an excellent user experience for our friends in BRC as well as year-round website visitors, then we would like to hear from you! Please send a resume and cover letter to django[email protected] by July 15, 2010.

Required Skills: Django, Python
Bonus Skills: Pinax, GeoDjango, jQuery, HTML5, CSS, Apache

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:39 pm

hmmmmmm i didn't put the two together. thanks token.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

kman

Post by kman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:59 am

So is there any reason an "unofficial" master list couldn't be compiled right here? A good number of posts in this thread alone, indicating addresses for camps that don't mind sharing the info. Wouldn't take much to start a new thread, listing all of them. It also wouldn't take much html know-how to put together an online map with mouseover labels.

I would do it, if (a) people wanted me to, and (b) I could get assurance from the powers-that-be that I'm not stepping on any toes. Although I'm sure others could do much better than my basic skills would allow.

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:44 am

kman wrote:So is there any reason an "unofficial" master list couldn't be compiled right here? A good number of posts in this thread alone, indicating addresses for camps that don't mind sharing the info. Wouldn't take much to start a new thread, listing all of them. It also wouldn't take much html know-how to put together an online map with mouseover labels.

I would do it, if (a) people wanted me to, and (b) I could get assurance from the powers-that-be that I'm not stepping on any toes. Although I'm sure others could do much better than my basic skills would allow.
It was posted on previous page. slvrnmph beat you to it:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... RS2c&hl=en
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

kman

Post by kman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:03 am

Missed that, thanks, Trish!

(although an actual labeled map is also cool)

VArocketry

Camp Above The Limit placed ------ 9:00 Plaza

Post by VArocketry » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:00 am

Camp Above The Limit

Has Been Placed!

Camp Above The Limit has once again awarded our location at the 9:00 Plaza! We have the corner space coming into the 9:00 plaza from the keyhole.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:22 am

fyi, kman, similier effort has been launched from the burningman tribe on tribe.net
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

kman

Post by kman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:37 am

theCryptofishist wrote:fyi, kman, similier effort has been launched from the burningman tribe on tribe.net
Thanks. No need for me to duplicate the work, then. :)

Hope someone posts a link here once it's up, though, as I'm not on Tribe...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:45 am

kman wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:fyi, kman, similier effort has been launched from the burningman tribe on tribe.net
Thanks. No need for me to duplicate the work, then. :)

Hope someone posts a link here once it's up, though, as I'm not on Tribe...
I don't know if it will be duplicating. I suspect that the more who do this and the more maps we have the more accurate information will be included. Of course, we won't know what accurate, but it will be out there.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:10 am

The Interaction Cafe is Back at 7:30 and Detroit. Look for it and the Interaction Catering Truck On the Playa!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

dusty_nipples

Post by dusty_nipples » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:20 am

"exciting new Playa Directory ready to premiere in Black Rock City! "

Do you think they are intentionally not publishing an advance list to raise interest in some kind of 'on playa' directory? That would kinda suck.

Maybe it's just me, but honestly... I have never, and likely will never, make use of 'on playa' directory info. I use the master theme camp list to plan, and hard copy maps to find art and camps, and if I can't find them based on that (and a little exploration) I move onto some other activity. A trip to playa info or any type of on playa electronic directory to find something would feel weird for some reason.

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Re: No centralized resource for theme camp placements?

Post by alt12 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:09 pm

KestrelSF wrote: There is a reason that folks that put the most effort into participating in the burn tend to avoid even looking at this forum people. It seems to attract the least common denominator of bitching, whining, complaining and quite frankly rude insulting comments about just about every aspect of anything. Folks have been working hard, for free, to get the placements done in record time this year. The fact that we don't have a complete placement list now isn't due to them, thank the douches who post it.

ah that's bullshit dude.... eplaya is actually a major resource for people creating complex projects out there.... many technical questions on large projects get addressed here....ever checked out the Q&A section? ....oh and by the way, people putting "the most effort into participating in the burn" like to bitch too...in fact, in my experience, they bitch the most!

Tantra

Silicon Village 2010 placement

Post by Tantra » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Silicon Village has been placed at 8:00 and Edinburgh.

Tantra

Galaxo Magic

Post by Galaxo Magic » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:18 am

Camp Upsie Dasium has been placed

Athens and 7:30

Our campmates include GravyBrain. GravyBrain is a great funk/fusion band that has played BRC, SF Decom, Burnal Equinox, and Precom. Come on in and say hi and climb our tower.

HandJamMasterC
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Post by HandJamMasterC » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 am

Camp D.O.A. has been placed, at 3 o'clock and Guangzhou
!! We can't wait !! 8)

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Trishntek wrote:I do find it frustrating that, until we know which side of the road we are on Cairo, we cannot plan the camp layout for best wind break and shading. It would also determine where our main entrance and private tents will be. So the layout in the application is meaningless! Just a source of irritation,,,,, grumble grumble grumble
Just make two plans! Heck, I have made 20 plans for our camp, based on unclear space allocation, orientation, and exactly who is going to show up!

Placement doesn't give out exact information, because sometimes they have to change things. With the zillion camps they place they don't always get everything perfect.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill

Return to “2010 Theme Camps”