Orphan Camp forming

Stealth

Postby Stealth » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:27 am

I'm pretty sure I'll be with 'camp nomadia' this year but would like to meet 'the orphans'. if you're going to do a meet n greet or happy hour- i'll be there.

smilodon

joining Orphan Camp

Postby smilodon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:46 am

Haole, Andy, et al.,

If you're interested in Orphan Camp, send your email address to Vittachitta. Then she can send you a Google Doc we're using to compilify who's who and who's coming when from where and who's got what.

I love stone soup :)

Haole Doody
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Orphan/Endorphan

Postby Haole Doody » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Hey, I'm casting my lot with the Orphans. We're going to have more fun than that little curly redhead ever did!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock:
You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not.

mikey_likeys

Postby mikey_likeys » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Count me in as an Orphan...orphans! We should totally plan a meet and greet or happy hour like that other user sort of suggested, it sounds like fun!
Mikey_Likeys, AKA New York, Orphan Camp 2010

VagabondingVal

oy! orphan indeed

Postby VagabondingVal » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:26 pm

homeless burn virgin, seeking family to show me the ropes. granted, willing to clean, cook, slave, cut, milk, etc

Zeebs

Postby Zeebs » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Oh, I like this. I have a camp, which happens to have my costume box, so I don;t think I qualify, but I fully intend to stagger in and say hi!
"Wherever you are, BE there!"

mzfit

Postby mzfit » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Stagger ON!!

rocketshipdreams

I'm an orphan!

Postby rocketshipdreams » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 pm

hey! I'm a solo traveler!

My name is Mandie and this will be my 2nd time attending BM. I have unfortunately found that I will be making the journey alone. :(
I'm not so worried about traveling alone as I am worried about not having a destination as soon as I arrive. I'd like to have some sense of "home" while I'm at the event- orphan camp sounds like the place for someone like me to be!
I'm a friendly 25 year old girl and I am willing to volunteer my time in exchange for a safe and friendly environment to pitch my tent.
I come with an EZ up tent for shade, a couple lawn chairs, a cooler, and some hula hoops.

So where do the orphans meet?

Thanks!

-Mandie

mharri01

Flying solo

Postby mharri01 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi, Mark here. This is my first burn and am not sure what to expect, but am very open minded and ready for new experiences. I am traveling on my own and it sure would be nice to find a place to hang my hat when I get there. Orphan camp sounds like a good place to hang.
I am a hard worker and am will to pitch in whenever needed.
I have an extra tent I can bring if needed, several lawn chairs, camp stove, etc. Just let me know whats ur needs are.

Thanks! :)

jonwells

FIRST TIMER from Cincinnati OH

Postby jonwells » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:09 pm

im from cincinnati ohio. i'll be coming out alone and an orphan camp is a great idea! as i walk around i'll look for the flag for sure. if anyone wants they should message me about meeting up and finding something of mutual interrest to participate in. i'm very willing to do manual labor if anyone needs help biulding anything.

send me a message if you want the community or company

or if your from cincinnati or the tristate

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby bluesbob » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Where is Orphan Camp going to be located?

Vittachitta

Orphan Camp update

Postby Vittachitta » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:00 am

will be coming soon; too tired tonight!

lots of last minute requests and questions; I'll sort it out and post tomorrow (Tuesday).

--Donna/ Vitta
looking for friends and experiences that inspire and teach

frieden

Postby frieden » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:56 am

Anyone up to sharing their tent or have space in their tent for one more? I am coming in on the 3of Sept. in the evening and will be leaving on 5 dSept. in the afternoon. I don't care for the idea of packing and carrying around a tent, as well as set up and tare down when I am only going to be there for two days. I am clean and tidy, polite, and will have my own food, water, etc. If you can help me out PM me and let me know!

Vittachitta

sorry

Postby Vittachitta » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:21 am

but we are not an orphanage. radical self reliance is a requirement of Black Rock City and of Orphan Camp.
--Vitta

frieden

Postby frieden » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:02 am

My apologies, I do consider myself self-sufficent...i was just thinking about with my short stay that it'd be nice to not have to worry about a tent. but i'll be able to work it out.

nikster

Postby nikster » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:06 pm

So I was asking friends but nobody I know can come this year, and I only have a few days to plan, flying into SF from Thailand on the 29th. And then this comes along!

What a great idea!! I am in! I can't bring anything large (tiny rental from the sounds of it, but I suppose I could try upgrading to a pick-up when I am there), but I am quite happy to bring tools, and of course the spirit which I only faintly remember from burning man long ago (2000 - 2002), and which I am going to find again in 2010.

I am hoping you guys are making efforts to collect anybody with similar ideas - all orphans, spontaneous camp people should be made aware of this, the more the merrier.

What could be more burning man than a spontaneous on-the-spot camp! Awesome!!!

Hottlotus

Postby Hottlotus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:42 am

Is there space for a 27' RV for Orphan camp?
Im going to BM last minute but havent got a place to park
and would love to join a camp/community.

MikeyDanger

Another Orphan!

Postby MikeyDanger » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:42 am

Sounds like an awesome idea! Not sure how this is gonna work though...does posting here somehow add me to a magical list and all my trouble wash away?

I'm a newbie and just found I could go about 2 weeks ago! This sounds like just the group I've been looking for :-)

I'm in, but would like to get some idea of what I should bring or how I participate. Anyway - I'm sure it will all work itself out, right?

Bring on the burn!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:56 am

Send the private message, join the google group and find out.
Ordinarily, many people in theme camps are on their way to the playa now, but given the nature of the camp and the fact that many are newbs, it's likely that key people are still reachable.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Vittachitta

Orphan Camp ePlaya registration door softly closing

Postby Vittachitta » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:37 am

Hello Fellow Burners and Burners-to-be--

I can no longer respond individually to ePlaya requests to join Orphan Camp, as I need to finish getting ready to burn myself (self immolation?), so ePlaya registration is effectively closed.

If you do not receive a personal invitation to join us, then you are still welcome to find us on the REAL Playa (check Playa info on arrival) and see if we have space, IF:
* you can meet the requirement for radical self reliance (you have all your water, needed food and survival equipment)
* you have something to contribute to our community

I hope to meet and greet many of you in the dust!
Peace,
Vitta

Vittachitta

also re: joining Orphan Camp

Postby Vittachitta » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:22 am

Also, at this point, we may have more room for you if you have a small footprint (tent + car or no car, as opposed to giant RV), but it's worth checking out anyway. I hear that bigger rigs make good wind blocks for the south...

Peace,
Vitta

newbie_burner

Have room left?

Postby newbie_burner » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Hey Vitta,

On a last minute whim I bought tickets today. First time burner, looking for people to hang out with, contribute, have fun. I will have my gear and will definitely have a small footprint.

You have any room left? If so, how to find you? I will probably come in Tues/Wed as I cant get off work earlier. Happy to contribute in materials/labor.

Mandar
PS: PM'd you my email address

joey han

Postby joey han » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:23 am

any updates for this year, 2011?
Thanks.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:48 am

You can always put out a call in the Theme Camps 2011 Sub-Forum and begin the ball rolling. From what I've seen on the eplaya, there will be a lot of response and you're likely to get a promising group together in short order.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Trishntek
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Trishntek » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:57 am

Looks to me like maybe it should be called, "Procrastinators Camp"
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Trishntek wrote:Looks to me like maybe it should be called, "Procrastinators Camp"

Not true. Well maybe to a point. It's a very casually organized camp, and that seems to work well for us. Orphan Camp has morphed into Endorphin Camp with about 80%-90% of last year's Orphans having signed up to return in 2011 as Endorphins. We are planning to take on new Orphans into our camp, and we have a loosely laid out plan that these new members will graduate into full Endorphin status once they have fulfilled the one week Orphanship on the playa. Endorphin Camp is not run/owned by any one person, so some lag time in signing on new members might be excused. Things in our camp are run very loosely with no dues or anything like that, so you should be equipped to make it on your own if you find you strongly disagree with our vision once you're on the playa. Stay tuned here on eplaya in the next few days for the sign-up announcement for new members.

Trishntek
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Trishntek » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:15 pm

No offense meant by my previous post. Just looking back to last years replies near the event,,,, and considering how many were making their FIRST EVER ePlaya post on the third week of August without much of a plan,,,,, it seems to fit.

There's much to be admired about having no plan! It somehow seems appropriate for "orphans" to be more impulsive and spontaneous.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Vittachitta

Orphan Camp / Endorphin Camp

Postby Vittachitta » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Hey!

Burning Man is not 'til August, so you can hardly call us procrastinators. Well, okay, you can; we're not busy sautering (how the heck do you spell that?) our very big flame-spewing art piece or such, but that's because we don't have to! We are vagabond-ish, yet with a place to wander back to. Some of us may be highly organized (like Prof), but others are just so f***ing proud that we got our tents put up in that big ass wind storm on Day 1 2010 (me and Sam) or that we found our way back--magically!--in a big cereal bowl attached to a rolling milk carton--after the Temple Burn (Mikey).

Most of the organizing happens via a Google doc. We are looking forward to adopting new orphans!

Peace!
Vitta

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Solder? Saunter? Salute? Salad? Somber? Sailboat?
The Lady with a Lamprey

Vittachitta

Postby Vittachitta » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:07 pm

viewtopic.php?t=39320&highlight

Okay, here is the link to the new "Orphan Camp" thread (Orphan/Endorphin Camp 2011) for Burning Man 2011. Please look there for updated information!

Thanks!
Vitta

viewtopic.php?t=39320&highlight

Return to “2010 Theme Camps”