Esplanade placement for 2011

kiuney

Esplanade placement for 2011

Post by kiuney » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:46 pm

We're thinking about applying for Esplanade next year and I'd like to hear from camp/campers who've stayed there. We've discussing the pros and cons but I'd like to hear from folks who've been there and done that.

Anything you can share would be helpful. Thank you! :D
Deviant Playground
www.deviantplayground.org
"Scarred for Life...Again."

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Esplanade sucks.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:17 pm

This was the first year I've been directly on Esplanade (and I mean directly- there was nothing between our RV & Esplanade except a small shade structure & about 20 feet).

I loved it. The view alone is worth any of the discomfort of always being "on" as soon as you leave your bed, and the noise wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

People watching- great. Random encounters- great. The "energy"- great. Having "Ein Hammer" right off my front porch- incredible.

Negatives- you get to see every kind of idiot behavior you can imagine: people driving RV's onto the Esplanade, people trying to use your bike parking area as a driveway, idiots walking by with no water/ lights/ food/ sunblock/ clue.

Just remember- requesting Esplanade & getting it are two different animals. Fandango actually had it as second choice, but we got it (and a full block depth for our 300 people).

I say go for it.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

kiuney

Post by kiuney » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Thank you for your thoughts Eric! And yes, wanting it and getting it are two different things. I just want to make sure we're ready for it should we apply for it and get it.

Even this year at 3:15 and F, I thought we saw the not-so-nice cross-section of burners but it's probably nothing compared to what you get on the esplanade.
Deviant Playground

Pink Daddy

Post by Pink Daddy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:59 pm

A portal or plaza are interesting spots, too. Even an A street spot facing a portal is good, too. I think I'd prefer these camping locations to an Esplanade spot...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs377.snc4/46069_461193081927_501436927_6807820_1244164_n.jpg[/img]

Eklypz
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Hookahdome

Post by Eklypz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Make sure you know it can be loud and don't whine if it is! I am not going to mention my camp name but had 1 guy that complained almost every night two camps down while the camp next to us loved it (including the person in an old rv camped 15 feet from our speakers). We even turned it down when said person walked over and still called the rangers to complain after we courtesly cut it to half sound and he said it was ok. He said he sent them over to make sure we knew we should be quiet at night on the esplanade *faceplant*.
~o(Eklypz)o~

pntblv

Post by pntblv » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:23 pm

This was my first year and as a Virgin being on the Espalande was an incredible experience. Very, very, very, very, busy with our camp during the day and night. I left the later night antics to some camp mates and loved being the first one up. Sitting in front of your camp watching the city wake up (or go to bed as some people were obviously doing) was very entertaining.

Esplanade is definitely not for anyone looking to have a quiet BM experience and not for shy people either. You will meet ALOT of people.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:44 pm

The shitters are at least three blocks away, unless you bring one.

The neighbors always suck.

Every high raver and hippie will try to walk through your camp looking for the shitter. Fun things happen when they don't find it.

Make sure you don't have an evap pond or anything resembling a trash receptacle.

Bring a big ass megaphone.

Do not bring a burn barrel.

kiuney

Post by kiuney » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:16 pm

We were in the 9:00 portal two years and on A last year. The problem with A streets is that the lot sizes are two small for what we need. We have a large playground and the frontages for A streets are only 50 feet. We've requested portal placement again the past two years but haven't gotten it.

And yes Token, I know that we will not be able to have *any* public trash receptacles around. Regardless of where we are, I think we're planning to trash fence around the private camping space.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Deviant Playground

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Token wrote:The shitters are at least three blocks away, unless you bring one.

The neighbors always suck.

Every high raver and hippie will try to walk through your camp looking for the shitter. Fun things happen when they don't find it.

Make sure you don't have an evap pond or anything resembling a trash receptacle.

Do not bring a burn barrel.
Correct on all counts but #2- our neighbors (outside of the Fandango Camps) were Burners Without Borders and Death Guild. Better neighbors you could not get- except for some of the crap musicians who played at BWB, but they didn't stay long.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Token

Post by Token » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Yeah, you say that now but every time I started the Rat art car or vented the propane for the night ...

Fuck! Put a muffler on that thing!

We were camped 20 feet apart and I never ran in to you!

Bummer.

Did Booty even happen at Fandango?

The Chinese

Post by The Chinese » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:35 am

I've been on Esplanade 4/5 years... IT's as other have written here, but I'll add this:

You must have your planning shit together, and take those things into consideration. We Delivreately structure Camp to minimize that Walk Through's, People Pissing. We deliberately shut areas off with physical obstacles, and leave "paths" that few Really Drunk of High people could find easily (even though they often still do.) We also always leave at least one person in Camp, Sober, to manage things. Lights help as well. This year, we had some larger crowds gather, and we had a lost & Found, and a lot more Moop in our frontage.

We've had nothing but great neighbors for the most part. Only Hookhadome blew us out of the water 2 years ago. We had the Dancetronauts/Center of Gravity this year and they were awesome, they brought some serious thump, but it was totally at the right level, and we were digging it (although we could hold our own in our own frontage), and it never turned into volume wars.

So if I had to say one thing, it's the planning is a LOT more intensive. adn prepare to get yourself into as tight a space as possible- One of the reasons we get this kind of placement is the level of interactivity per space. You just can't have a bedroom community on Esplanade.
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:45 am

Token wrote:We were camped 20 feet apart and I never ran in to you!
Where were you camped? BWB? Or further back? Fandango had a huge amount of frontage this year.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Token

Post by Token » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Deathguild. I was at the back of our space but not on A, there was another camp behind us.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:11 am

Yeah, I had no idea Fandango was so close to us...

Hedy

Post by Hedy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Putt-Putt Playa was on the Esplanade for 3 years straight on the 8:00 corner (we took 2010 off, but BACK IN 2012!!).

We loved being right up front in the brunt of it.

PPP was great fit for the Esplanade - highly interactive, visually interesting day & night and open 24/7. I think you need to prepare yourself for that the most - the fact that IT DOES NOT STOP.

Make sure your private camping area is fenced off to prevent guests from overstepping their bounds. Have representatives from your camp available at all times to watch over everything.

No garbage receptacles anywhere in public site (as other people have mentioned!) If you have a burn barrel, cover the top during the day. Helps a little.

Be prepared to moop sweep several times per day. People are constantly in your camp dropping shit.

One thing I loved (and hated) was that I didn't want to leave camp. Who's coming by next?? I can't wait to see who stops in and plays a round or two!!! You meet a such wide range of folks - the people come to YOU.

Expect to work your ass off.

Put a mail box out front. Yeah, you get moop in it sometimes, but we also found some pretty cool stuff in it too!

Have people in your camp who are, how can I say it.... mediators?? People who can diffuse sticky situations with ease. Nothing major ever happened in our camp, but we had the occasional out-of-their-mind on who-knows-what person park themselves in our camp needing help to get back to reality. You are on the forefront of the city !

It's great fun when a fleet of MVs or Kinetic Vehicles pull up and park in front of your camp : ) or the YumYum cart!

Overall, PPP really enjoyed their Esplanade experience - we wouldn't want to set up a 10-hole mini golf course anywhere else but!

Token

Post by Token » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Did you just say: "10 hole mini golf course in the butt"?

kiuney

Post by kiuney » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Thank you Hedy! Very sound advice and you brought up things we hadn't considered. Thanks so much!
Deviant Playground

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Hedy wrote:(we took 2010 off, but BACK IN 2012!!).
What happened to 2011?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Hedy

Post by Hedy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:42 pm

theCryptofishist: What happened to 2011?

hehe - right?? The band's not getting back together til '12. boo. Might be able to rally for '11, though. But it's doubtful. I missed the front nine this year : (

Akitses6

Post by Akitses6 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 pm

[quote="Hedy"]theCryptofishist: What happened to 2011?

hehe - right?? The band's not getting back together til '12. boo. Might be able to rally for '11, though. But it's doubtful. I missed the front nine this year : ([/quote]

You have my vote to come back for 2011!!!!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:07 am

that goes without saying.

I also like the 100,000 volt cattle prod available at any grange store for $39.99

it is SO money well spent.
Frida Be You & Me

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:50 am

Hedy wrote:Putt-Putt Playa ... (we took 2010 off, but BACK IN 2012!!)....
And you were missed.

JK

Tamino

Post by Tamino » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 am

I stayed with Automatic Subconscious for the past two years. Once at 3:30 and Esplanade and this year at 4:00 and Esplanade. We are a big camp with a big dome. Biggest problem is defining private camp space with public camp space. We like to sit in our private area and look out on the Esplanade but every Tom, Dick and Hippie wanted to crash in our private space. Even after we setup a very nice artistic fence. People thought it was a bike rack.

The thing about being a theme camp on the Esplanade is that you have to make sure your camp is accessible to the public at all hours and you have to be hard core interactive.

I like being on the Esplanade.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:59 am

I was on Esplanade for 2/6 years and liked it a lot. The first year, 2005, we were on Feedback Loop and Esplanade near DPW. It was noisy as hell but the views of the Man and the entire city walking by your doorstep were nice. Being on the electricity grid was great, too, though we hardly had enough sense to take advantage of it.

Last time on Esplanade was with Mischief Camp in 2008. Again, hard to leave camp as everyone seemed to stop by. Our interactive internet kiosques were a lot of fun for us and everyone else, except the Troll named Epic, evidentally

RedHeaven
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:47 pm

I was in Lustre all the years I went 05-09. First 2 years we were on the D and C blocks, and the other 3 on the Esplanade at around 3:00 (right next to Hookahdome) so Ive done em both....

Although I have loved the view of the art and the craziness, I won't ever do it again because I have had my fill. I say, try it at least once....I prefer the back streets for a few reasons:

1. I like the dynamic of the blinky burny glowy and the more darker spaces. You can see the stars on the back streets. Going from the dark to the light and back to the dark is a great feeling. Just staying up in the light gets kind of tiring and not as interesting IMO.

2. I like how the back streets force you into deeper adventures, not just Esplanade/playa focused.

3. There is more musical diversity back off the main drag

4. Closer to porta pots

5. More time to get into you and your friends heads. Less things to distract you from much needed down time and reflective periods, or more intimate times with your camp mates and visitors and passerbys.

I miss the Burbs and I can't wait to be there again! The Esplanade was amazing, I DJed some great CELTIC and bluegrass music right there blasting off onto the playa at 6am....it was awesome!! But I dont need to LIVE there to do that. I really miss the DYNAMIC of the light and dark. I miss relaxing at camp and seeing the stars and feeling like Im having a little camping trip out in the desert with some others with this big party going on down the road.

klark44

could I handle it

Post by klark44 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:57 pm

Last year I was at 8:45 & Athens and had little time to see the outside world, I had three breaks. If I was on Esplanade I don't know if I could handle it. Last year I used #1000 of clay and I have already started making next years clay. But without help I don't know if I could handle Esplanade amounts of people I loved where I was at; with the camps around me, that helped and friended me, to help get me threw it. thanks and I hope to do a better job next year, wherever I am.
Klark Raetz is Fire and Mud
stability is an illusion of the moment

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:07 am

Tamino wrote:I stayed with Automatic Subconscious for the past two years. Once at 3:30 and Esplanade and this year at 4:00 and Esplanade. We are a big camp with a big dome. Biggest problem is defining private camp space with public camp space. We like to sit in our private area and look out on the Esplanade but every Tom, Dick and Hippie wanted to crash in our private space. Even after we setup a very nice artistic fence. People thought it was a bike rack.

The thing about being a theme camp on the Esplanade is that you have to make sure your camp is accessible to the public at all hours and you have to be hard core interactive.

Honestly, that camp shouldn't be on the esplanade, imho. Probably the least friendly one I've come across out there, and their 'private space' should be in the back somewhere, not right out front. When there's a bunch of couches right on the esplanade, it's only natural that people will think it's a public area, which it isn't.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/earthfragments2/bug.gif[/img]

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:29 pm

neon tetra wrote:
Tamino wrote:I stayed with Automatic Subconscious for the past two years. Once at 3:30 and Esplanade and this year at 4:00 and Esplanade. We are a big camp with a big dome. Biggest problem is defining private camp space with public camp space. We like to sit in our private area and look out on the Esplanade but every Tom, Dick and Hippie wanted to crash in our private space. Even after we setup a very nice artistic fence. People thought it was a bike rack.

Honestly, that camp shouldn't be on the esplanade, imho. Probably the least friendly one I've come across out there, and their 'private space' should be in the back somewhere, not right out front. When there's a bunch of couches right on the esplanade, it's only natural that people will think it's a public area, which it isn't.
I agree - want to be front and center - there are caveats. One is to be interactive and Not exclusionary. Put your private area on the backside.

deemunny

Post by deemunny » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:18 am

RedHeaven wrote: 1. I like the dynamic of the blinky burny glowy and the more darker spaces. You can see the stars on the back streets. Going from the dark to the light and back to the dark is a great feeling. Just staying up in the light gets kind of tiring and not as interesting IMO.

2. I like how the back streets force you into deeper adventures, not just Esplanade/playa focused.

3. There is more musical diversity back off the main drag

4. Closer to porta pots

5. More time to get into you and your friends heads. Less things to distract you from much needed down time and reflective periods, or more intimate times with your camp mates and visitors and passerbys.
THANK YOU Red Heaven -- Virgins like me appreciate these comments. I'm still gleaning a strategy on where to park my car as a soloist and stuff like this is immeasurably helpful. I'll be social and all, but I don't want to be packed in like sardine and in a lit area all the time. Near one of the plazas (but not on) sound the best to me. D/C near 9:00 or 3:00 appear to be attractive to me...
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Return to “2011 Theme Camps”