Was there ever a Phish camp?

zcassidy

Post by zcassidy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks S of the P
Be absurd with your goodness

Kentalope

Post by Kentalope » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:25 pm

"My advice is to do whatever the hell you want. But man, it only took a bee sting (maybe even a little baby bee sting) and you were ready to defend phish to the death. Are you Phish? I know you like them and all, I like some bands too, but maybe you should think about your connection to the band and your inability to say (or at least think) 'fuck off, I'm doing it anyway' Or, try laughing off someones reproach for a change. I mean, after all thats kind of what this is all about. "

The lack of comprehension here is astounding. I'm not going to go back and count, but the gist of everything I've said is that a) I'm not going to defend a band (aka. "i don't give a fuck"), and b) You can't rip on something you've never experienced. It renders any said ripping moot from the git. That's all. I'm not here to defend Phish to the death. If people don't get it or aren't willing to listen to something based off what their friends think, poor them. As Isotopia said, music is personal. People define themselves by it. I don't define myself by Phish, I can just see a parallel with the music. A lot of Phish is deep groove...deep funk. Why do people feel the need to tell me they grew up on punk? What does that say? That they're extra special cool and indie-r than indie? Well look, I grew up on GBH, TSOL, Misfits, Bad Brains, etc. etc. so does that change your perception? On a message board? Can I like Phish AND GBH? I guess the point of everything I've said is that I'm surprised in the lack of acceptance or tolerance in a place where I thought that was the championing code of ethics. I know it's easy for people to hide behind a keyboard and I know at Burning Man things are much different. I will have a camp related to Phish. It isn't going to be a stage with 100,000 watts of nothing but Phish - I'll leave that to the 90% of the rest of Burning Man that does that with DubStep (how original!). But I think I have a pretty fun idea people will like. Grilled cheese, Teva's and hackey sacks will not be involved.

LOVE and LIGHT my playa brothers and sisters! The playa will proviiiiiiiiiide...

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 pm

I guess the point of everything I've said is that I'm surprised in the lack of acceptance or tolerance in a place where I thought that was the championing code of ethics.

you were obviously sadly mistaken.

we're a bunch of douchetards who have never seen a phish concert.

first of all, as far as i'm concerned, you are wrong...i've been dragged to quite a few, and i toured in 81 and followed the dead for 3 months.

i dont like to admit this however, because it is done, gone, and past.

lately, i've been grooving on candy rave crap and Death-Klezmer.

someday i will not readily admit to this either.

you are thin skinned, and am taking this WAY too fucking seriously...

we were having fun with you, but it ceased days ago...

do whatever the fuck you want, but expect critiques, good and bad....

i'm sorry you took this personally, maybe some phish phood ice cream will stop the PMS..

i'm just sayin'.

seriously.

maybe midol will help.
Frida Be You & Me

Kentalope

Post by Kentalope » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:48 am

Okay I apologize if I took anything seriously. i repeat: I really don't give a fuck. The only thing thin skinned about me is my foreskin. Thanks for having fun with me and I look forward to blowing minds (and penises) in 2011.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:01 am

Kentalope wrote:and I look forward to blowing minds (and penises) in 2011.
I think that's supposed to be my line.

*sigh*

Guess there's room for more

(oh- I have been to a phish concert. I don't remember a thing, and you could put a gun to my head & I couldn't tell you a song. I was rolling on the grass making out with the hot long haired boys. oops.)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Simon of the Playa

now Thats the Spirit!

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:30 am

welcome home, kentalope!
Frida Be You & Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:52 am

Kentalope wrote:"...I'm surprised in the lack of acceptance or tolerance in a place where I thought that was the championing code of ethics.
Ah, that's where you went wrong. It's a week-long camping trip in the middle of the desert.

And again, on the dubstep. Did anyone here actually defend dubstep?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:58 am

Eric wrote:
Kentalope wrote:and I look forward to blowing minds (and penises) in 2011.
I think that's supposed to be my line.

*sigh*

Guess there's room for more

(oh- I have been to a phish concert. I don't remember a thing, and you could put a gun to my head & I couldn't tell you a song. I was rolling on the grass making out with the hot long haired boys. oops.)
I foresee a "Thunderdome" sort, of challenge........

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:26 am

Did anyone here actually defend dubstep?

i would put the hitler vs. dubstep video here, but i'll save the bandwidth.

you know what i mean anyway.

soon, with the new PSY-Phone OHg, we'll be able to sit around and text message each others minds...

seriously.

i digress.

there is no defense for dub-step, it is a filthy hippy trap, do not fall for it.
Frida Be You & Me

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:46 am

Snow wrote:Damn CO scenster techno hippie.
Huh? Don't drag me into this. And don't accuse me of liking techno.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:43 am

My mom (although not a lesbian) had that record.

I used to hear it all the time when I was a kid. I was scared of the leaping lesbians

*sound of closet door creaking open*
Bwahahahhahaha!

Here come the lesbians
Here come the leaping lesbians
We're going to please you, tease you
Hypnotize you, try to squeeze you
We're going to get you if we can
Here come the lesbians

Don't go and try to fight it
Run away or try to hide it
We want your loving; that's our plan

Here come the lesbians

ah-ah-ah
Don't look in the closet
ah-ah-ah
Who's creeping down the stairs
ah-ah-ah
Who's slipping up behind you
ah-ah-ah
Watch out; better beware

Ice fingers feeling, stealing
Reaching out from floor to ceiling
You can't escape; you're in our hands

Here come the lesbians

Inside your heart is racing
when you see our shadow's chasing

Here come the lesbians
(Here come the lesbians)
Here come the lesbians
(Here come the lesbians)
The leaping lesbians...

bo-de-o bo-de-o bo-de-o bo
bo-de-o bo-de-o bo-de-o bo

ah-ah-ah
Don't look in the closet
ah-ah-ah
Who's creeping down the stairs
ah-ah-ah
Who's slipping up behind you
ah-ah-ah
Watch out; better beware

Ice fingers feeling, stealing
Reaching out from floor to ceiling
You can't escape; you're in our hands
(We'll save your children)

Inside your heart is racing
when you see our shadow's chasing

Here come the lesbians
(Here come the lesbians)
Here come the lesbians

weirdscience

Post by weirdscience » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:03 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You will notice that I have never called for a Polka Camp.

Or even an Accordion Camp.

Just because you love it doesn't mean you have to drag it out there. There are 51 weeks a year to do the other stuff.
2012 BRC's BRAND NEW POLKA CAMP! :D
Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:08 pm

Wow Ken is still here....

/slow clap

This morning i heard that douchetard was the word of the day...now i hear (see: read) it again...neat
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

bud buddah

Post by bud buddah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:23 am

Had to pass this on. Very well done.
Here's what Phish sounds like to those who aren't fans.

http://www.livemusicblog.com/2010/08/02 ... sh/?ref=nf

Bud

bud buddah

Post by bud buddah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 am

Had to pass this on. Very well done.
Here's what Phish sounds like to those who aren't fans.

http://www.livemusicblog.com/2010/08/02 ... sh/?ref=nf

Bud

Snow

Post by Snow » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:21 am

great free live music is alive and well in SF. Was just there in GGP for hardly stricktly bluegrass, wow was it packed.

oops did I just let a bit of my hippie show
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Once I thought I was watching Phish play live at a festival, for about an hour or so, but it turned out to be the Grateful Dead without Garcia, so just The Dead. It was pretty boring.

I've been forced to listen to a bunch of their stuff (Phish, that is) and the only thing that I ever really enjoyed was their version of theme from 2001 A Space Odyssey.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

shykat

Post by shykat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 am

cant we just get along http://djsoloisawesome.com/?p=607

shykat

Post by shykat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Snow

Post by Snow » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:40 pm

This is EXACTLY why we can't have a phish camp at BM. The artcile even mentions phish specifically http://christwire.org/2010/10/why-do-hi ... n-america/

"For fans of The Phish, life is about expressing an identity through purchasing “greenâ€

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:25 pm

[quote="Snow"]"For fans of The Phish, life is about expressing an identity through purchasing “greenâ€

Snow

Post by Snow » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Minus the Phish, cartoons and masturbation; oddly, it sounds just like last saturday night. And honestly I had emptied my wallet before the night started, oh, and there were firemen and a girl in a sombrero with a moustache involved as well.

What did you guys do to me last weekend? (YOU know who you are!)

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Snow wrote: and a girl in a sombrero with a moustache involved as well.
So how is CfM doing?
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:00 pm

What Phish Sounds Like To People Who Don’t Like Phish
(and What It Likely Sounds Like to People who Do)

[youtube][/youtube]

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:00 pm

...here is a kind of Phish camp I would stop by and visit for a while;

projection screen showing videos of either Phish concerts or psychadelic/fractal screen saver with the music. Large dance area illuminated with UV flood lights, with outer areas filled with mini tramps and hulu-hoops (all that glow in the dark or are lit with ELwire and/or LED's).

For added fun, add a "Shake Down" street, with T-shirts, stickers, and other trinkets, all of which must be bartered for or earned through exceptional acts.

btw - I have been to 4 Phish shows (and numerous other jam bands), but still have a hard time visualizing a "Phish" camp (or any other band-specific camp). Still, I would rather listen/dance to Phish than most techno I hear at BM....

now, if you want a really COOL Phish project, have a video screen with Trey's face, that (using computer controlled clips of Trey saying various syllables, or through some other computer manipulation) makes Trey look like he is saying BM related things ("have you visited the Temple yet? I may play there tonight...."). Using a sort of ELIZA type program, it could appear as if Trey was at BM interacting with peeps.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Build your camp. Don't ask us for approval or support we are all are to busy wrapped up in our own over achievement camps to see the validity of anything outside of our preferences. Have at it. You are going to have people who stop bye and enjoy it if you do. If you don't you will never know. Keep it simple. Keep it visual. Keep the personal camp and public areas divided. Be prepared to be slow rolled by the cops like the Raga camps.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:39 pm

That video "PHISH SHREDS IT" is absolutely awesome!! I laffed at that for literally DAYS.

Dont listen to the hippiecritical hippy haters. Bring on Phish Camp! In fact bring on some String Cheese and Dead, too....STS9 and Disco Biscuits....I have heard some of good jam music on the playa in art cars n stuff. Lotus, etc....

Ive DJed Phish and the likes on the playa and nobody shat in my cooler. in 2009 I played Phish 2001 at dawn at 3:00 and Esplanade in the Glitterbox for our Jam Dork party. SUUUUPER LOUD. It was, like totally, Epic. We served bacon and mimosas.

I'll post about where I am going to DJ next year when I find out, and you do the same. Love me some jam bands loud on the playa! My favorite is Railroad Earth. Im a sucker for Bluegrass.

Word of advice: Stick to soundboards. Lifes too short out there for Audience recordings.

And if anyone wants to have a hippy battle I'll be on your side and Im not even a big Phish phan, I would just love to groove to a bit of it out there! DOOOOOO IT!!! (and let me know about it!) :D FUCK THE HATERS and FUCK DUBSTEP ;)

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Dont worry folks, lets not get hasty. I'm not saying "Lets have Phish and hippy music take over Burning Man!" We all know that would be just plain wrong.
Burning Man is for all music, but lets face it, it has developed its own musical personality and this has to do with the dynamics of the desert, and the styles and art that has been created on playa for the playa.

Bass and electronic music just resonates best out there. Its the backdrop personality of the city. It will always rule BRC. Heck, BRC got me into electronic music.

BUT, little tastes here and there of "default world music", especially that of the psychedelic kind, is always really really fun to have in the tapestry, too. I love all the sounds I hear everywhere, I love them even if I hate them. Whtever people play becomes the set list of the week. It could be anything. ONe year, I was wonderfully plagued by Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better"

And anyone who has camped by Costco knows the awesome power of a fully operational Sheena Easton Morning Train.

So why not? Phish it up. I'll stop by and share my hippy items with you. :)

Wouldnt it be cool to have Camp High End? Or Treble Camp....Play all kinds of music that is more about melody than bass. Hahaha!

neon tetra

Post by neon tetra » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Phish is an extremely talented band, but some of their stuff is pretty annoying. And they are certainly better live.
Some (many) of their fans do take it a bit too far though.

I'd chill at a Phish camp for a bit, but I'd hope they would play other jam stuff as well.
STS9 is the one band I'd like to see on the playa above all others.

Pretty Lights songs might all sound the same after a while, but they do put on a hell of a show. I saw them at 2 festivals last summer, and those shows were better than 90% of the music I saw on the playa.

Burning Man is an amazing experience, but I wish there was a bit better music there. Breaks, electro & dubstep are all nicely represented, but there's really not enough downtempo, ambient, jam music, etc.
And our neighbors this past year insisted on blasting bad 90s alternative rock. I even heard Avril Lavigne a few times! :x
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/earthfragments2/bug.gif[/img]

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:24 am

i'm so glad that four fingered crack addled chili dog huffing bastard is dead.

pun intended. :twisted:
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “2011 Theme Camps”