The Valhalla Project

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

The Valhalla Project

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Here's an idea that I am working on this year. Feel free to brainstorm with me.
In Scandinavian mythology, Valhalla (anglicized from Old Norse Valholl "hall of the slain") is a majestic, enormous hall located in Asgard, ruled over by the god Odin. Chosen by Odin, half of those that die in combat travel to Valhalla upon death, led by valkyries, while the other half go to the goddess Freyja's field Fólkvangr.

In Valhalla, the dead join the masses of those who have died in combat known as Einherjar, as well as various legendary Germanic heroes and kings, as they prepare to aid Odin during the events of Ragnarök. Before the hall stands the golden tree Glasir, and the hall's ceiling is thatched with golden shields. Various creatures live around Valhalla, such as the stag Eikþyrnir and the goat Heiðrún, both described as standing atop Valhalla and consuming the foliage of the tree Læraðr.

Valhalla is attested in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional sources, the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson, in Heimskringla, also written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson, and in stanzas of an anonymous 10th century poem commemorating the death of a Eric Bloodaxe known as Eiríksmál as compiled in Fagrskinna. Valhalla has inspired various works of art, publication titles, popular culture references, and has become a term synonymous with a martial (or otherwise) hall of the chosen dead.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Asgard. I can think of a few theme camps that could use some of those.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:17 pm

You should save this one for 2012...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Asgard. I can think of a few theme camps that could use some of those.
You need to guard your ass, Doc! :D

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:01 pm

You know, this would make an amazing temple...

Just saying.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:32 pm

I like the cock on top.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:I like the cock on top.
Some like it on in the bottom.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:12 pm

I don't get it. Is this a fern bar?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:08 pm

ooooh, bring on the valkyries!!!!!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Sic Pup wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:I like the cock on top.
Some like it on in the bottom.
Some like it in your face. What of it?
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: The Valhalla Project

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:43 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Here's an idea that I am working on this year. Feel free to brainstorm with me.
In Scandinavian mythology, Valhalla (anglicized from Old Norse Valholl "hall of the slain") is a majestic, enormous hall located in Asgard, ruled over by the god Odin. Chosen by Odin, half of those that die in combat travel to Valhalla upon death, led by valkyries, while the other half go to the goddess Freyja's field Fólkvangr.

In Valhalla, the dead join the masses of those who have died in combat known as Einherjar, as well as various legendary Germanic heroes and kings, as they prepare to aid Odin during the events of Ragnarök. Before the hall stands the golden tree Glasir, and the hall's ceiling is thatched with golden shields. Various creatures live around Valhalla, such as the stag Eikþyrnir and the goat Heiðrún, both described as standing atop Valhalla and consuming the foliage of the tree Læraðr.

Valhalla is attested in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional sources, the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson, in Heimskringla, also written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson, and in stanzas of an anonymous 10th century poem commemorating the death of a Eric Bloodaxe known as Eiríksmál as compiled in Fagrskinna. Valhalla has inspired various works of art, publication titles, popular culture references, and has become a term synonymous with a martial (or otherwise) hall of the chosen dead.

drooling.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:14 pm

All this is lies, of course. And irrelevant.

Just want to know if you'll cheat and have an Yggdrasil, so that burners can suspend themselves upside down for three days.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:25 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:All this is lies, of course. And irrelevant.

Just want to know if you'll cheat and have an Yggdrasil, so that burners can suspend themselves upside down for three days.
wouldn't they want to square that?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 pm

That would leave them no time to chase after girls in platforms and Ilianowear.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:34 pm

well, there is that......and, it's not like they need the secret of the Runes.......
and, of course, Ratatosk can bring all the news worth hearing.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:25 am

And they wont let Slepnir on the playa.
The Lady with a Lamprey

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:34 am

yeah, good point..........I suppose Geri and Freki would be out.......as well as Hugin and Munin......

dang, without them.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:37 am

Quote the Raven, "Nevermore."
The Lady with a Lamprey

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:37 am

that Edgar.........."what a nut"..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:31 pm

I meant "quoth"! I really, really did!
The Lady with a Lamprey

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:16 pm

By Crom this is a great idea, UD.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

John Noggin

Post by John Noggin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:48 pm

"while the other half go to the goddess Freyja's field Fólkvangr."

I'm pretty drunk and I thought it said

Freyja's field of Fuckvag

Yes please. :shock:
Born to kill, Live to die. -U.S.S. Vigilante

I'll tolerate your hobbies if you'll tolerate mine. -Guns and Dope Party

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:03 pm

This truly is a wonderful idea. What about the Rainbow Bridge? Will the interior be hung with banners? And what is your sound track here, Wagner or Manowar or Wagner with black helicopters and "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" ??? Or flutes and fiddles?

8)

When do you start lining up the busty gals in shiny breastplates who bustle about with foaming pitchers, sir? Hojotoho! Sounds like fun!

oscillator

Post by oscillator » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:You know, this would make an amazing temple...
With an obvious ignition system...

...any volunteers?

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:42 pm

moon is half Scando....moon likes THIS!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Hrm. It would be a great chance to play out a scene I've always wanted to see : "Viking Funeral For A Bike Messenger"

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks for the kudos.
There's time to reflect on this and decide whether it's worth the effort.
For me, the question is whether people will show up when it's time to put it together. :)

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Here's one of my many days of how to kill a day at Tahoe and do it right!

Especially for Scandanavians and the like (yggy and freinds!)

Vikingsholm Lake Tahoe in Emerald Bay is the finest example of authentic Scandanavian archtechure in all of North America set in a fjord atmosphere, almost like Norway..smack dab in the Sierras (google Vikingsholm+Tahoe)

Stunning castle with sod and wild flower roofs top here n there, turrets, waterfalls an Island with a mini castle! (in summer, and fringes of spring and fall bring a blow up float thing of your choice and use it to swim out to the Island, water can be cold)

A full day can be spent walking down and back up or better yet;

Pay $5, Park at DL Bliss sate park beach/campground, stay to the right, to the right, to the right as you drive down (use a bike if it's closed)...find Callowee beach (go early, you'll want a full day and parking can fill up fast and there are potties also!)

Enjoy the "Gold Coast Beaches" these are gold rush money estates called the ring road mansions they can NOT tell you to leave the beaches, they are nice estate owners anyway and the first 5 feet or so, from waters edge in 5 feet is absolute public right shore land for ALL 72 miles of Tahoe's shore lines, it is the law, use it and usually it's ok to use more than that first 5 feet along that gold coast stretch...pretty much everyone does, but do not wander into their yards please! these ring road families are nice, they've been there for over 100 years, we've never had an issue, ever....enjoy the golden soft sand and shallow waters...not as cold!

Then, at car parking level, find trail head, called Rubican Trail (sometimes sign is missing, go to the end of the parking lot and onto trail) take photos in first 1000++++ feet of trail with the lake and such as background (gives depth to your photos and or paintings)....hike to the Point of the mouth of Emerald Bay...have a picnic...then hike to the Vikingholm castle, do the tour if high season...inside is amazing...100's of Scandonavian craftsmen were brought in back in the turn of the century era, after checking out the castle and waterfall behind it...hike back up the MAIN tourist trail to car you have left waiting on Hwy 89 and drive back to your other car which you have cleverly left at Callowee Beach...maybe you'll camp maybe not...up to you or your group.

There are awesome cliffs and rocks and rope swings in that first 1000 feet of trail, please be safe..the cliffs and rope swings can be easy or challenging...also many watercolor painting classes and photographers...take pictures there! It is the best back drop for contrast of forest (all virgin forest, DL Bliss family were logging money and they did NOT allow the virgin forest to be cut there) and the Cobalt deep blue waters and mountains across the lake make for great photo ops.

Camp at Callowee...or not....just make it a day...some will leave the small kids and a parent or family member at the beaches...and do the full Rubican loop...it is awesome!

Also, there are about 20 camp spots in Emerald Bay...difficult to reserve BUT there's a small pier and it is amazing to pull that one off (you kinda need a boat) I like speed boats! too poor to own one but have been invited and it was great! (throttle therapy ;) but sailboats work also)

If you only have one car, just park at the top in Emerald Bay on the Hwy 89 hike down, check out the Viking castle and hike back up and then maybe go to the Callowee beach and use the first 1000 feet of the trail and swim and enjoy the warmer waters and the gold caost beaches. You do NOT have to do the full Rubican loop...takes all day for most. You can do these two places in sperate chunks and skip the loop trail...it works for some but the loop trail is great to do.

This a very special place and a well kept secret is how to do it the many varied ways I have explained....now it is yours to enjoy!

I know MANY more of these ways to kill a day in Tahoe (nude beaches are on the East shore) and will start a thread and share them on eplaya when I can make some time to explain them concisely, Lake Tahoe is the BIG Blue Playa...a great place to decompress...or enjoy on the way into BM festival...Tahoe drains into Pyramid Lake! hahaha...we are connected....but that's another story for another day...hint, things from Tahoe pop up in Pyramid Lake...

If some details are missing from this Vikingsholm description or you wish to ask questions you can PM me...I'll do my best to answer them clearly. As side job, I was a guide in Tahoe for most of my life...I know many hidden PUBLIC places guide books won't explain properly...or they do not know about. :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

uncle sticky
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

Fimbulvinter

Post by uncle sticky » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:58 pm

We used to run a Fimbulvinter camp. Big igloo, coolers running, schnapps, viking gear. Igloo car (the floe, where the elders were put, and yes, we know that's inuit), shot skis, shot luge. Fun!
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Still not dissuaded from this yet.

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “2011 Theme Camps”