MONTANA BURNERS

ninalove
Burning Since: 2013

MONTANA BURNERS

Post by ninalove » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:46 pm

do all of you ALWAYS camp with nexus? it's a bangin' spot no doubt.

but...

if you're not, please share where you plan to camp this year.

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:55 pm

We camped across the street from the Cock N Waffle. They were all from Montana and also had the Gypsy Ghetto Bus.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Montanarchist
Burning Since: 2011

Looking for a Home

Post by Montanarchist » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:59 am

I want to be more than a guy camping in the desert. To that end I'd like to find a theme camp to be close to or village where I'd be comfortable. I read all the descriptions and think "OK, these guys are from Montana like myself," or "I will have my vintage Airstream and did make a living as a geologist for several years," or "I like hugs," or "I really enjoyed the rave scene back in the day", but being a virgin how do I really know I would fit.

With that in mind I share some info about myself; if some is duplicated from my introduction I appologize.

I'm old, not like gray hair and useless dangling scrotum old but, I'm sure a bunch of Burners were in diapers the last time I went to a Rave.

I'm an anarchist, a anarcho-capitalist to be more specific.

I'm an accidental environmentalist; my life long quest for self-sufficiency has inadvertently led me to building on an off-grid homestead that produces all of it's own energy and a goodly portion of the food.

I no longer participate in most aspects of society. I "Shrugged" (gone Galt) almost ten years ago. I live a debt-free life style, and because of this I am able to pursue my passion for writing.

If you met me in my hometown you would most likely stereotype me as a Red-neck because of my black cowboy hat and Carharts, but I'm working on an outfit that will express who I really am while I'm down there.

I will be bringing down a bunch of free-range, organic veggies, eggs, and goat meat which I raise/grow on my homestead.

I'm pulling down my vintage '69 Airsteam, which I'm going to use finger paints to decorate with a wilderness motif after I arrive, and will be offering that chance for any others who might want to participate. I am also bringing down two hammocks which will be hung from the Airstream.

Everything I'm bringing down with the exception of the pull rig will run off of solar.

I'm currently trying to score a vintage pedal trike from a friend which I will not only decorate, but will also install a 12V motor, solar panels, and a sail which I will use to get around.

There is a good chance that I will be wearing nothing more than a fur hat at times.

There is also a good chance I will sleep most of the day, and spend the nights playing with glow sticks and the like.

If I sound like the kind of neighbor you'd like to have let me know, or if you found yourself thinking "this guy would really fit in with ______," let me know how to contact them.

With hope, Pappa Bear

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Looking for a Home

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:14 pm

montanaprometheus wrote: not like gray hair and useless dangling scrotum old but
Ouch.
Some of my best friends are old. Or something. I'll be there in a few years myself. So, when should I haul myself out to the ash heap of history? 60? 67? 72? I really want advice on that, because you know I don't want to subject myself to the looks of pity when I'm past my "sell-by date" and should be sitting on an ice floe becoming polar bear food.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm currently trying to score a vintage pedal trike from a friend which I will not only decorate, but will also install a 12V motor, solar panels, and a sail which I will use to get around.
Read over the mutant vehicle section concerning sails and vehicles. Pretty much undesirable.

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:10 pm

AntiM wrote:
Read over the mutant vehicle section concerning sails and vehicles. Pretty much undesirable.
pretty much read over everything before making or deciding on anything. i've worked and worked on some things THEN found eplaya and now have to re-do a bunch of it. mostly due to moop. My advice is read all about the 2010 theme camps in those threads, then read all about the 2011 ones. Then you won't have to sell yourself, you will know where you fit. There are also some helpful threads about camping by yourself the first year, scouting, then hooking up with a camp for your second. worth finding and reading.

i'm old too (if 50 is old) and i love my droopy parts, however i don't want to scare the children.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

geekster

Re: Looking for a Home

Post by geekster » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:53 pm

montanaprometheus wrote:
I'm old, not like gray hair and useless dangling scrotum old but, I'm sure a bunch of Burners were in diapers the last time I went to a Rave.
No problem. There are some aspects of the rave culture there but BM isn't "about" raves.
I'm an anarchist, a anarcho-capitalist to be more specific.
Pretty much irrelevant to BM.
I'm an accidental environmentalist; my life long quest for self-sufficiency has inadvertently led me to building on an off-grid homestead that produces all of it's own energy and a goodly portion of the food.
Irrelevant to BM but might be handy if you want power out in the desert. Most people just haul in generators, though. They work in all conditions. It's only for a week so do whatever you want. Most people manage to survive the event no matter what they do.
I no longer participate in most aspects of society. I "Shrugged" (gone Galt) almost ten years ago. I live a debt-free life style, and because of this I am able to pursue my passion for writing.
Hmm. Consider Burning Man "galt on steriods" where millions of dollars go up in smoke every year serving no useful purpose whatsoever. You might call it "Burning Money".
If you met me in my hometown you would most likely stereotype me as a Red-neck because of my black cowboy hat and Carharts, but I'm working on an outfit that will express who I really am while I'm down there.
Leave your lampshades at home and just be who you are and wear what you feel comfortable with. Actually, your first time, I would say not to "try" too hard at all. Go out and experience the event first just the way you are. That will give you ideas on what to do the next time, if it is in fact to your liking. You don't want to waste a lot of effort in building a bunch of expectations before you have ever set foot in the place only to find you think your choices were way off base once you get there or you discover you just hate it and made a mistake by going. Remember ... 50% of the people there any given year are virgins ... which means the majority of people who were at the event this year won't be there next year. In my opinion you have to experience the event twice. The first time to just get an idea of what it is *really* like (has to be lived through, you can't get it from a book or photo gallery or someone else's experience)
I will be bringing down a bunch of free-range, organic veggies, eggs, and goat meat which I raise/grow on my homestead.
The hippies will love you, if they make it this year. Except for the meat part. The rest don't really care if it is "free range" or "organic" as those are mostly marketing buzz words of little actual value except to justify higher prices for things. Most get their vittles from Albertson's or PayLess on their way in.
I'm pulling down my vintage '69 Airsteam, which I'm going to use finger paints to decorate with a wilderness motif after I arrive, and will be offering that chance for any others who might want to participate.
Tel you what ... there is a bus parked over by the Depot that says "Nevada Dept. of Forestry" ... bring some fake christmas trees to stake around it. I have always wanted to see someone do that.
I am also bringing down two hammocks which will be hung from the Airstream.

Everything I'm bringing down with the exception of the pull rig will run off of solar.
Expect less performance than you get back in Montana. They will get covered with dust and dirt pretty quickly on some days. Other days will be fine, and some days are cloudy with rain. So expect any weather condition and expect those things to get pretty filthy. Try wind instead, there is usually a good supply of that. But again, your first year you might be better off with a gas generator and just get the feel of the place. Don't spend much time at "home" and wonder around a lot. Then you will have a better idea of what to expect next time ... if you want to come back
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Montanarchist

Post by Montanarchist » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:48 am

Wow, thanks for all the tips, and sorry if I offended any of the dangly crowd. I was feeling like I might be too old myself (37) to really fit in, so in a way the reactions to writing that helped me the most.

I really like the Christmas tree idea, but instead of fake ones, I think (if there is room) I'll bring down real ones; about six acres of my homestead are covered with "dog hair" (really thick immature) lodgepole pines that need thinning.

No sails? I'm guessing there must be some stories about runaway vehicles there.

I wish I had a spare wind genny, I guess I'll just have to figure out a way to dust the panels easily.

massagenut

Post by massagenut » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:38 pm

montanaprometheus wrote:
I really like the Christmas tree idea, but instead of fake ones, I think (if there is room) I'll bring down real ones; about six acres of my homestead are covered with "dog hair" (really thick immature) lodgepole pines that need thinning.
Well, unless you plan to pick up all the dead needles from your real trees, then you should stick with the fake version. There should be some cheap ones right now in the after Christmas sales. One of the main tenants of BM is 'leave no trace' camping, so it helps if you don't bring anything that leaves a mess, or tends to blow away in the wind. Any mess it makes, you must clean up and haul away. Keep it simple. No one there will care if the trees are dead or alive.

Montanarchist

Post by Montanarchist » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:41 pm

The problem with fake ones are the cost money. The real ones are free for me. How about burning them all right there where the needles dropped?

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:27 pm

If I had to camp anywhere near Nexxus, I don't think I'd go.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:37 pm

If you want to burn something, you should memorize this stuff, with particular reference to this in your case with this.
Don't bring your trees. Plants are forbidden to begin with, and if you've ever swept up after your xmas tree, think about doing that, with dozens times more needles (that's what the heat's going to do to it), a heavy coat of ground dust, and you're hungover, or dehydrated, or desperate to meet that cutie you made a date with, or there's not enough light and so many things that you cannot anticipate. And it doesn't matter how well you do it, you will miss some, which means that some volunteer is going to spend half an hour to two hours, maybe more, on his or her knees picking up the trash that you brought against sage advice. I don't know how that fits into your philosophy, maybe volunteers are suckers who prolong the lives of the weak who should be starving to death, but it seems kinda heinous to expect people you don't know to metaphorically wipe your butt.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Elorrum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:34 pm

montanaprometheus wrote:Wow, thanks for all the tips, and sorry if I offended any of the dangly crowd. I was feeling like I might be too old myself (37) to really fit in, so in a way the reactions to writing that helped me the most.
Oh Geez, never quite experienced an internet kick in the stomach before.. hoooo boy! My experience is that if you go prepared to like, and enjoy, the people you meet, brand new, right there, it matters less what they think of you, and magically, even less what you think of yourself.

edited to add: "plus what theCryptofishist said." perfect reference and context, and then some loops and flourishes, and then it gets honed to a beautiful crystalline under the microscope perfect point. yeah, it humbles me.

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Our camp was comprised of people aged 25 to 60 and we all got along famously.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Montanarchist

Post by Montanarchist » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Firstly, Cryptofish: Having been a volunteer firefighter and medic for several years, my opinion of volunteers is a long ways from what you described. I'm beginning to sense a lot of hostility for a group that is supposedly radically inclusive...

My county averages less than one person per square mile and most of it is timbered, so most everyone up here cuts their own Christmas trees. There aren't many fake ones floating around at thrift stores etc. So I'll just pass on the tree idea, as brilliant as it is.

I guess I should worry less about "fitting in" but old habits are hard to break. I live in a county with less than 3000 people and my nearest neighbor is over a mile away, there is a reason for this: I don't fit into any single demographic group.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Uh, except the people who don't think they "fit into any single demographic group." :roll:

Which is most of the people at Burning Man. :wink:

Montanarchist

Post by Montanarchist » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:37 pm

[quote]"Uh, except the people who don't think they "fit into any single demographic group." :roll:

Which is most of the people at Burning Man. :wink:[/quote]

That is what I find so tantalizing about B.M. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

massagenut

Post by massagenut » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Based on what you have said so far, I think you should just pitch your tent in the general camping area and enjoy the first year without any attachment to a theme camp. Roam around and check things out. Something is going on 24 hours a day. You seem perfectly capable of taking care of yourself. Enjoy it and try not to have too many preconceived ideas about what it will be. The reality is that it is everything and anything that you make it.

Hopefully the hostility that you sense is delivered with good intentions. Everyone is trying to tell you to keep it simple and observe the basic rule of BM.... leave no trace. And as much as I agree with you on solar power and conservation, etc, etc... you won't find much of that at BM. It is much more about conspicuous consumption and partying. Generators everywhere, massive lights and sound systems.

As for your electric/wind powered vehicle, BM regulates any vehicle that is not human pedal powered. My understanding is that they prefer you to walk or ride a bike and they discourage vehicles that only hold one or two people for your personal transportation. The art cars they like are large vehicles, wildly decorated, that can shuttle large numbers of people around the playa and enhance the party.
joe

Montanarchist

Post by Montanarchist » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:29 pm

massagenut wrote:Based on what you have said so far, I think you should just pitch your tent in the general camping area and enjoy the first year without any attachment to a theme camp. Roam around and check things out. Something is going on 24 hours a day. You seem perfectly capable of taking care of yourself. Enjoy it and try not to have too many preconceived ideas about what it will be. The reality is that it is everything and anything that you make it.
That's probably a the best suggestion so far, in regards to the OP. Thanks.
Hopefully the hostility that you sense is delivered with good intentions. Everyone is trying to tell you to keep it simple and observe the basic rule of BM.... leave no trace. And as much as I agree with you on solar power and conservation, etc, etc... you won't find much of that at BM. It is much more about conspicuous consumption and partying. Generators everywhere, massive lights and sound systems.
One of the things about being an Anarcho-capitalist is accepting others lifestyles no matter what, as long as they don't affect my ability to do the same, and to be honest I'm not a "hippy," even if some aspects of my lifestyle read that way. I absolutely hate generators, not because they are consuming gasoline, or pollute the air, but because they are loud, smelly, and I had to use one for several years before I could afford my A.E. system. Loud music and lights, especially unique types of lighting are some of the things I'm looking forward to most.
As for your electric/wind powered vehicle, BM regulates any vehicle that is not human pedal powered. My understanding is that they prefer you to walk or ride a bike and they discourage vehicles that only hold one or two people for your personal transportation. The art cars they like are large vehicles, wildly decorated, that can shuttle large numbers of people around the playa and enhance the party.
joe
So I'll have to do the paper work with DMV even if my bi/tri is only assisted with a modified 12V ATV winch? :roll:

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:34 pm

montanaprometheus wrote:Firstly, Cryptofish: Having been a volunteer firefighter and medic for several years, my opinion of volunteers is a long ways from what you described. I'm beginning to sense a lot of hostility for a group that is supposedly radically inclusive...
Oh DPW aren't saints, far from it. I have my own set of nasty stories to go with everyone else's. They still do a necessary job, and it's still not fair to ask them to do stoop labor. I remember outside a camp in 09, where it was evident that someone had been unable to cope with their fruit punch or sangria and had just thrown it on the street corner, piles of lemon slices and the like in what had been a puddle. And all I could think of was "what a mess, what assholes." And someone came by long after I was there and picked up. And I might not think that that person was fit to breath my air, and yet, I am grateful.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:35 pm

And "Cryptofish" is not a recognized varient.
The Lady with a Lamprey

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:34 pm

montanaprometheus wrote: That is what I find so tantalizing about B.M. I hope it lives up to my expectations.
Oh, don't worry, it won't.

I grew up in Butte BTW.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Montanarchist

Post by Montanarchist » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:52 am

oneeyeddick wrote:
montanaprometheus wrote: That is what I find so tantalizing about B.M. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

I grew up in Butte BTW.
You still come home for St. Paddy's and Evil Knievel days?

After reading all the info so far, I'm a little disappointed by all the rules; a Montanan without a gun or fireworks? Huge LEO presence? Stolen (borrowed) bikes? I'm still game to try it at least once though, but I wish there was a regional burn that was smaller to try first.
The secret is you have to be on the side of truth, no matter where it takes you. Montanarchist 2/22

Evil Mastermind/Sexual Sorcerer (Part time)

Eplaya's Undisputed King of BDE

An armed society is a polite society

JStep

Post by JStep » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:24 pm

montanaprometheus wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:

I grew up in Butte BTW.
You still come home for St. Paddy's and Evil Knievel days?

After reading all the info so far, I'm a little disappointed by all the rules; a Montanan without a gun or fireworks? Huge LEO presence? Stolen (borrowed) bikes? I'm still game to try it at least once though, but I wish there was a regional burn that was smaller to try first.
I would recommend not looking at BM in any sort of idealistic sense, lest you set yourself up for disappointment. I haven't been yet, but I'm willing to bet some vets would agree with me.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Drive down to Utah for their burn.

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:55 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:

I grew up in Butte BTW.
I have this whole group of friends who all start talking in the weird dreamy hippy dippy voice when i tell them i'm going to burningman. they all start spouting about this spiritual experience, and finding god in the struggle, and i swear they start swaying back and forth (no, they've never actually gone). I'm going to camp in the desert with a bunch of free spirited creative fun people. I'm anticipating there will be a few punks, but that the overall the people will be a bit more open minded than here in Bush Country Texas. But people are people and people will be there.

i don't even want to get into what the crazy Bush Country, Texas people think. but obviously i'm going to hell. Thankfully i have a pretty handbasket. DING DING DING, now THERE'S a thought for a mutant vehicle!

i hope I run into you on the playa and that you are having a whale of a good time.

massagenut

Post by massagenut » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Tamarakay...
As a fellow resident of Bush Country (Tx) I guess we can ride in the handbasket together. At least there is a small island of liberal open minded nut cases here in Austin to associate with, but once I'm 30 miles out of Austin, it's a whole different world. Burning man last year was awesome. My first visit, and I was envisioning more of the idealistic, spiritualistic, environmentalist, etc, etc, etc event. It was much more what you describe... a week of camping in the desert with some amazingly nice people out to have a good time and put on a hell of a party. I'm sure there were some problem people, but I never had any issues with anyone. (well, other than the guy from the naked bike ride that chose to shake my **** rather than my hand... but hey, it's an open minded place, and he was just trying to be friendly)

Montanaprometheus...by all means you should attend a smaller local burn first if you can. Utah sounds good. I've done a very small burn in north Texas and plan to attend the Austin regional in June. Go with an open mind and minimal expectations, hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. I'm made some great new friends to join me in the handbasket.
Joe

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:31 pm

massagenut wrote: I'm sure there were some problem people, but I never had any issues with anyone. (well, other than the guy from the naked bike ride that chose to shake my **** rather than my hand... but hey, it's an open minded place, and he was just trying to be friendly)
You should have kicked him in the ****.

Doesn't Montana have some sort of Gathering/regional thing?

I seem to remember something about Helena....and cow tipping....and sitting around the big campfire telling North Dakotan Jokes....
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Elorrum » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:44 pm

tamarakay wrote:i don't even want to get into what the crazy Bush Country, Texas people think. but obviously i'm going to hell. Thankfully i have a pretty handbasket. DING DING DING, now THERE'S a thought for a mutant vehicle!

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Elorrum wrote:
tamarakay wrote:i don't even want to get into what the crazy Bush Country, Texas people think. but obviously i'm going to hell. Thankfully i have a pretty handbasket. DING DING DING, now THERE'S a thought for a mutant vehicle!
dang, it's hard to come up with something that hasn't been done out there lol

Return to “2011 Theme Camps”