American History Themed Camps

How much would people dig this?

It's cool because it will be the ultimate costume party.
40%
It's cool because it will be the ultimate costume party.
40%
History sucks, I would go just to make fun of people.
3%
History sucks, I would go just to make fun of people.
3%
Only old history buffs will attend, which is lame.
5%
Only old history buffs will attend, which is lame.
5%
I like it, but I wanted a small intellectual meeting.
No votes
I like it, but I wanted a small intellectual meeting.
No votes
Your living in the past; that's not what BM is about.
3%
Your living in the past; that's not what BM is about.
3%

Total votes: 40

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:i hate it when my lederhosen strafe my inner thighs...
yeah, but if a voluptous 28 year oldwell, really 18 to 80
gal strafes your inner thigh.............
just sayin'.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:15 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Everyone knows they prefer to be called nips.
Yeah, but it's still fun to make you bad and wrong. :)

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:Everyone knows they prefer to be called nips.
Yeah, but it's still fun to make you bad and wrong. :)
isn't that like making a snowball round and cold?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:01 pm

I've only jusr realised pernod is absinthe!
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Pernod isnt' absinthe. Pernod was an absinthe and when they outlawed that in France it was reformulated to taste the same without the wormwood. I think Spain kept the old formula, but I would never say that Pernod is absinthe, because there's too many variables.

Of course, I think there might be something to the story that the hallucinogenic and other "magic" properties of absinthe came from bad distillation rather than the herbs.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

magic8ball

Post by magic8ball » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:07 pm

this is good way to learn Amercan History?
From real perspective, not school in my country.
[size=200][color=violet]ALL KNOWING, ALL SEEING[/color][/size]
[size=34]Cousin of Horace[/size]

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Pernod does make absinthe again after a loooooong haiatus, tho there are better abs out there IMO.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 pm

magic8ball wrote:this is good way to learn Amercan History?
From real perspective, not school in my country.
Hell no and you betcha yes.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Absinthe is now legal in America. I like Le Torment Verte, which is tasty, in a beautiful bottle, even though is is more like absinthe liqueur than the stronger stuff. Lucid sucks ass.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 pm

The core element of my (expired) teaching certificate is history, specifically American history. Sigh. I can't recall dates to save my life, that's what reference materials are for.

Read Lies My Teacher Told Me for a non-textbook view of American history.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Lucid doesn't just SUCK ass, it TASTES like ass. Bleah.

I like our local stuff, St Georges. They did a batch last year that was way more golden than green (I think it was fall botanicals), had undertones of caramel and honey with a very pointed tingle from the fresh anise and coriander, over a delicate (if you can call it that!) wormwood bitter... Magnificent stuff. Wish I had bought cases of it now...

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:28 pm

AntiM wrote:Absinthe is now legal in America.
I know. I just happen to believe that what is being made is different from what was being made 100+ years ago. I think it's not completely possible to recreate what was happening then.
It's an opinion; it was practically a revalation when I heard about Morris Dancing revival. If Ygmir got a crew together and did a viking drekker it wouldn't be a real drekker, just an approximation based on fragmentary information and best guesses. For all I know modern absinthes are better than the original. I wouldn't be surprised if they were. I just don't think they are the original. YMMV
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:07 pm

I agree. Makes me sad, thinking wistful thoughts about time machines. Then coiling up in horror realizing I'd be raped, jailed, beaten or burned as a witch, at best dying of something perfectly curable with modern medicine.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:20 pm

AntiM wrote:I agree. Makes me sad, thinking wistful thoughts about time machines. Then coiling up in horror realizing I'd be raped, jailed, beaten or burned as a witch, at best dying of something perfectly curable with modern medicine.
Exactly. I do not ever pine for "the good old days." Travel with Dr. Who, though, that I could do. 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:37 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
AntiM wrote:I agree. Makes me sad, thinking wistful thoughts about time machines. Then coiling up in horror realizing I'd be raped, jailed, beaten or burned as a witch, at best dying of something perfectly curable with modern medicine.
Exactly. I do not ever pine for "the good old days." Travel with Dr. Who, though, that I could do. 8)
Oh yes. Any of them. In an alternate universe where the companions aren't merely platonic. Hey, if I'm wishing, I'm going whole hog.

Keep me away from the fanfic.

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:45 am

Just reading the poll it sounded lame, but your day by day details make it sound cool.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

addison4

Post by addison4 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:07 am

PARTY WITH PURPOSE!

The cool thing is that history leads the party, instead of me picking arbitrary themes myself, other people can be creative within the format. People respond to leadership, which is essential within art.

Ya, you've gotta have some legit history to lead this chaos. It's a hard to combine organization with partying... but the party must be going somewhere.

For example... people get that BM culminates in burning the man, and we can all party around that in our own way. This organizes everyone and makes the burn both an individual and collective event. That's what we call 'cookin'.

addison4

Post by addison4 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:43 am

New Idea: "Draft Party!"
Drink drafts
or protest the draft by drinkin' whiskey

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:50 am

Just remember, from OUR perspective, hindsight is always 20-20. If this were 250 years in the future, people would probably shudder coming back to our era, not only for what we've experienced, but what we've yet to experience that we have no clue about.

I love the idea addison4 came up with (and yes, I got the PM!!)... of course, what we do here to re-create history, whether it's an SCA/Renfiare gathering, Steampunk, Mountain man gatherings, Roaring 20's gigs, WW2 recreations with Yanks, Limeys, Nazi's, and Russkies... is all part of our collective fantasy of stories handed down. You can't know what people felt on 9-11-2001 unless you lived through it - in 150 years all they will have is legend.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:12 am

These radio programs were made just to brodcast to the GI's during wwII.

They would write in thier requests for stars and acts to be broadcast.

Thought it might make a good background soundtrack for your wwII day.

http://www.otr.net/?p=cmdp
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

addison4

Post by addison4 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 am

Here is the Newly made FB group for 1776:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Camp-1776 ... 3531707167

Don't forget to 'like it'!

addison4

Post by addison4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Here is an example of the type of polls we will take about each historical era. Those of you who are real history buff will do very well I'm sure:

REVOLUTION ERA POLL

1. What is your favorite part of 'the Royal Proclamation of 1763'?
a. It created an Indian Reserve
b. No one followed it
c. It was an excuse to fight!
d. The British suck.

2. Who had the worst hair style: (pictures to the side)
a. George III
b. Jefferson
c. Washington
d. Louis XXVI
e. Betsy Ross

3. Who is the best scapegoat for the American Revolution?
a. The colonists
b. The British
c. The French
d. Men
e. Squanto

4. Who has the best hat: (pictures to the side)
a. Benedict Arnold
b. Napoleon
c. The Statue of Liberty
d. Abigale Adams
e. George III

5. What are the 'Intolerable Acts'?
a. Intolerable
b. Shirt-cocking and Moop
c. Four British reforms having to do with trials, town meetings, and port closures
d. Sodomy, Chewing Bubble gum, and snot-rockets

6. What positions did women take on both sides of the American Revolution?
a. Spies
b. Victims
c. Dominatrixes
d. Cougars
e. Missionary

7. When was the war of 1812?
a. Tchaikovsky
b. December 23, 1913
c. The 5th of November
d. 33 A.D.
e. Who ever wrote this question needs to eat shit!

8. Someone who died and deserved it:
a. Alexander Hamilton
b. Rebespirre
c. The British
d. Justin Bieber

9. How much is Louisiana worth?
a. One Napoleon Complex
b. Three horses and a box of Twinkies
c. It's a liability; basically because its French
d. $15 Million

10. Who is the ideal leader of the Whiskey Rebellion? (pictures to the side)
a. Jack Daniels
b. Pepe Le Pew
c. Margaret Thatcher
d. Ernest P. Worrell
e. Thomas Jefferson's distant cousin George Jefferson

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Post by bluesbob » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:05 pm

I'd like to see a reenactment of the Batley Townswomen's Guild reenactment of the Battle of Pearl Harbor.

[youtube][/youtube]
"aw shucks.." - Eric

falcon451

Post by falcon451 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:20 am

I think any examination of American History in connection with Burning Man should include a comparison with the Fur Trapper Rendesvous which occurred annually during the 1820s at various locations in the American West not far from BRC (they knew better than to gather on the Playa) Although not art events, these gatherings were certainly examples of ahem, uninhibited culture as it then existed in the American West. 3 weeks of trappers camping and partying, selling pelts and buying supplies, and Indians also trading and putting on shows of horsemanship and archery in the spirit of festival. Big, big parties, the exact nature of which will never be seen again on this earth. Wish you had been there?

Burning Man is like that. It will be gone someday, swept away to history. But what a lot of fun while its here!!!

DB Cooper

Post by DB Cooper » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:05 pm

LOVE it! where are you based out of?
Anyone seen my briefcase?

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:58 pm

falcon451 wrote:I think any examination of American History in connection with Burning Man should include a comparison with the Fur Trapper Rendesvous which occurred annually during the 1820s at various locations in the American West not far from BRC (they knew better than to gather on the Playa) Although not art events, these gatherings were certainly examples of ahem, uninhibited culture as it then existed in the American West. 3 weeks of trappers camping and partying, selling pelts and buying supplies, and Indians also trading and putting on shows of horsemanship and archery in the spirit of festival. Big, big parties, the exact nature of which will never be seen again on this earth. Wish you had been there?

Burning Man is like that. It will be gone someday, swept away to history. But what a lot of fun while its here!!!
There is a huge rendesvous here in Ogden over Easter weekend at Fort Buenaventura. I can see a hundred years from now, Burning Man Re-enactments, and arguments over which faux fur is most authentic.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:45 pm

AntiM wrote:I can see a hundred years from now, Burning Man Re-enactments, and arguments over which faux fur is most authentic.
God, knowing what sticklers some of the re-enactors can be, I can just imagine some of the guidelines:
1) all "costumes" must be documented in one of the authenticated materials ("This is Burning Man", "The Burning Book" or "The Big Burn, Memories from 42 years of Burns by Larry Harvey's Brain"), or verified by not less than 3 independent images from the official Flickr archive.

2) all men must wear either a straw cowboy hat, a keffiyeh, a top-hat or a truckers cap. Any variations must be approved by the costume director.

3) woman must all have dreadlocks or wear cowboy hats or scarves. Any variations must be approved by the costume director

4) all performers must wear a utilikilt/ cowboy hat combination at least once during the week. The actor playing Larry Harvey is exempt.

5) all performers appearing naked must have their body paint approved by the make-up director. No clear images other than "The Man", flowers & tiger stripes will be accepted. Random bright colored swirls are your safest bet.

6) fake fur leggings and jackets must be worn by all performers at night.

7) performers wishing to play "darkwads" at night must be approved by the costume director. No more than 60% of performers may be darkwads. All darkwads must wear dark fake fur leggings and jackets.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Did anyone ever see that movie with Plains Indians (I forget the tribe, sorry) from Canada who go to Slovakia to meet with reenactors who apparently know some parts of the culture better than they themselves do? It's an odd sort of thought at any rate.
The Lady with a Lamprey

addison4

Post by addison4 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:51 pm

I think of it more as historical costumes than rigorous reenactment; after all RADICAL INCLUSION is important. The moment the costumes are so important that some people don't fit in... they have gone too far. This is the spirit of the playa, its not an arbitrary decision on my part. Heck, you can come dressed as the enemy or innocent bystandard, that's really the point.

We will pay lip service to legit history, and we will have detailed art serving that history (I wish I could post pics on here, but I'm not cleared). Several persons in the camp are on the intellectual level to engage with the historical aspect. Also, everyone at BM has a knowledge of American History, which makes the themes accessible in spite of the camp's ambitious agenda.

When HARDCORE reenactors show up, they will of course be appointed to lead parades/reenactments. We definitely want to celebrate individual accomplishment and discipline in this way. Most of the elaborate Art at BM enjoys a dadaist idealism of happenstance or random context, so our camp having specific context will hopefully stretch the culture on the playa in a new dimension.

What is great about our camp's theme is many burners will be familiar with it, and have different opinions about it.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:47 am

Off on a tangent ramble: I have a file box of patterns I pick up when the fabric stores do the $1 pattern sales. Many, many of them are re-enactor period costumes. I about died when I saw the civil war era gown had 21 individual pieces in the bodice alone. So I have a half-assed Renaissance gown instead. I picked up patterns for MyLarry as well, and think that a period costume in wild colors and completely inappropriate fabrics would be fun.

Return to “2011 Theme Camps”