Theme camp registration, charge tax or not?

Roberto Dobbisano

its NEVER too late to bitch about shit.

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Dougly, if that were the criteria for bitchin', the e-playa would only have four threads.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

marck
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders

Post by marck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote: You are referring to this thread?
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... ht=#653183
Where do you draw the line and who draws it?

And since that event's long past, and nobody commented on it previously, it's a little late to grouse about it.
No, that was just an observation of huggima's first post on eplaya.

My question was about a fictional camp that was charging it's campers for a BurningMan experience along with a their workshops and seminars.

I wondering the same questions as you, where do you draw the line and who draws it? As well as:
- Can you eject a camp but not it's campers?
- Would the campers be protected from ejection if the theme camp is an LLC?
May Shai-Hulud clear the path for you.
  • Kомиссáр Logan
Over here sand blows; over there sand blows.
Over there a rich man waits; over here I wait.
Secrets give birth to more secrets

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:41 pm

There are actual camps that charge and provide costumes, meals, "gifts"--we've growled at them in the recent past. They are tolerated, but apparently not encouraged. I don't see that the offering of seminars is any different than costumes. I would not be surprised if there were camps already doing it. I'd be disappointed if they were also allowing people camping elsewhere to pre-pay and join in some of the seminars or classes. As long as they causing problems that drew attention to themselves, and a nice bit of attention, too, to get the Rangers involved, then they would be allowed to continue doing what they are doing.
I have heard of a camp being evicted from the event, and as far as I can tell, with my memory of an account from my husband (so over 5 years ago) when it was a couple of years in the past from him and I did not quiz him, they were acting out in ways that the llc could not ignore.
So, I think that there's nothing about this camp that would ring alarm bells with the powers that be, at least in so far as the event is concerned.

I also don't see why they just don't charge a 10% surcharge for paypal, or if it's an easier sell and 10% discount for cash or check.

Edits in Red
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:50 pm

marck wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote: You are referring to this thread?
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... ht=#653183
Where do you draw the line and who draws it?

And since that event's long past, and nobody commented on it previously, it's a little late to grouse about it.
No, that was just an observation of huggima's first post on eplaya.

My question was about a fictional camp that was charging it's campers for a BurningMan experience along with a their workshops and seminars.

I wondering the same questions as you, where do you draw the line and who draws it? As well as:
- Can you eject a camp but not it's campers?
- Would the campers be protected from ejection if the theme camp is an LLC?
Yeah, what's a guy gotta to do to get kicked out of here?

Might be a fun project, actually. ;)

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:28 pm

dude, 2007 called and they'd like their reason to get kicked out back.
Frida Be You & Me

vapor
Camp Name: Opulent Temple

Post by vapor » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:03 pm

The only camp I know of getting ejected was the Capitalist Pigs in 1999. From what I remember (camped 1 block away) they were non-stop (24/7) insulting people walking by with megaphone rants. Which isn't always such a bad thing, but wouldn't stop when repeatedly asked by rangers, the line was crossed with inappropriate sexual comments to minors. As the story went their art was to get kicked out of the event.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Was setting camp a few years back... Some camp 1/4 mile across the way was loud and amped out rotten mouth.. Went on for a few hours and the cops showed up.. Didn't see anyone around the rest of the week.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 pm

there was a 'mushroom camp' that got booted several years back; they just couldn't keep it on the downlow...

Xak

Post by Xak » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:26 am

http://chakraliciouscamp.org/ This would almost be worth applying to, just to set up a bacon bar in the middle of the camp...
How much of your life do you spend looking forward to being somewhere
else?

-Matthew Flickstein, "Journey to the Center"

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:16 am

There are at least two different types of paypal accounts with different fees.

fbcota

Post by fbcota » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:03 pm

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]my balls are [size=24]not[/size] wrinkly, i just had them pressed and starched.

i just wanted to make that correction.....continue on.[/quote]

Gwahahahahahahahahaha, I love wasting time on the intarwebs :)

My "for profit" post was not about asshole camps making a profit off people but was more just the simple reality of gathering large sums of money for projects. Its fucking sucks, but for my art project this year, since we are not a non-profit we have a tax burden for all of our donations. We have to keep reciepts for everything and file an itemized tax return to avoid having to pay tax on money going to our art project.

I heard of a yellow bike chop shop camp that got the boot (and handcuffs), but beyond that I know of a number of for profit camps first hand. They really piss me off, and I personally think its partially up to the community to remove them from the event as some of these camps have deep ties to the event.

huggima

Post by huggima » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 am

Many theme camps charge a fee to campers to pay for costs of the camp. This can include rental trucks, camp art installations, generators, structures, stages, camp meals, and the like. The Temple in 2010 got their paypal account frozen from receiving too much money without being a registered nonprofit. Curious to know the various ways theme camps deal with receiving large sums of money if they're not registered this way.

marck

Post by marck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:26 am

Yes, but our camp doesn't charge fees based on how much space a person uses. Then again we also don't need security guards to keep the city riffraff out of our private workshops.
  • Kомиссáр Logan

huggima

Post by huggima » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:12 am

What camp is yours Marck?

marck

Post by marck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:36 am

You should be able to figure this answer out on your own.

Why should it matter anyway.

I consider Terminal City as my theme camp.
  • Kомиссáр Logan

marck

Post by marck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:42 am

Here is a couple irrelevant questions I have for you.

How long have you been going to BurningMan?

What does this event, BurningMan, mean to you?
  • Kомиссáр Logan

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:57 pm

a chanceTO BURN STUFF AND BLOW SHIT UP!

duh.

that was easy, i like this game.

Roberto Dobbisano

any relation to Huggy Bear?

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:59 pm

oh shit, you were asking huggy ma...sorry...my bad...

huggima

Post by huggima » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:57 pm

[quote="marck"]Here is a couple irrelevant questions I have for you.

How long have you been going to BurningMan?

What does this event, BurningMan, mean to you?[/quote]

Ahhh, my favorite questions to answer. I can answer both in one.

1996 was my first burn. That year I was the only woman who attended a sex party at the SF Safer Sex camp. So 1996 meant sexual exploration for me.

Skipped 1997.

1998 was the year I spontaneously helped Camp Carp paint their fish, danced in the Nebulous Entity parade, and was a djembe drummer in Pepe's opera. 1998 was about spontaneous performances.

1999 was the first year I paid attention to decorating my bike. Since the theme was the Wheel of Time, I wove a tone of old Swatch watches into the spokes of my bike, as well as through the handlebars, around the seat, and so on. That year was the year of creative expression.

2000 was the first year I set up a chill space in my own camp. Canopies, fabrics, fluff, rugs, and the like. 2000 was the year of creating ambient hospitality.

2001 was the first year I was in a theme camp on the esplanade. That was the year I learned the pros and cons of being in the swing of things on the playa. Camp security became more the norm. So did putting dolls heads on to the ends of rebar to prevent accidents. Being a camp guardian is what 2001 meant to me.

2002 was the first year I brought my 20 foot yurt to my camp. I decorated it and threw a sex party in there. That was the year Burning Man meant being an erotic temple keeper.

2003 was the year the sex party I hosted the previous year expanded to include two more domes. I spent the first four days facilitating the structures being built. Then over 200 people came to the party. Conexus got it's start right next to us. The burn that year meant building in the hot sun and being quite happy about it.

2004 I was in one of the drum conclaves that played when the man burned. I got to watch the man topple over right in front of me. We got to be Very close to the burn back then. 2004 was about expressing myself musically, right up next to the fire.

Took a break in 2005. I rented my yurt to the Hookadome that year for them to use as their chill area for their campers.

2006 was when I help co-create the Critical Tits afterparty (although I like to call it "Tittical Mass"). That year was about honoring women's boobies.

2007 again put me on the esplanade with Ascension Tribe, and I taught 3 workshops in their camp. 2007 meant offering my educational services to other burners who really desired them.

2008 was when I stayed until Tuesday after the burn and made a big meal in another theme camp's kitchen for about 100 people. That year I was of service as a chef, the rest of the time I chilled out.

2009, back on the esplanade, this time with Sacred Spaces. My yurt was used as a massage space and again I taught workshops. It was also the year I didn't go out much at night and woke up with the sun and rode my bike out to the orange fence and chilled out by myself for about an hour each day. 2009 meant quiet reflection for me.

2010 I was on the playa for two weeks during both the build and the burn and facilitated designing the layout for the same camp, as well as scheduled the workshops. We had 7 structures in the camp, each one representing one of the 7 chakras. They were packed every day with workshop leaders and attendees. 2010 was about being a visionary, artist, and producer.

2011 Chakralicious Camp is now it's own camp, and it's been a great ride so far. Figuring out the financial end of things was what started this thread in the first place. So there you go. I love hijacking my own thread. ;) Cheers!

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Met someone looking for Conexus last time.

Heard of it, but didn't know the location.

huggima

Post by huggima » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Not sure they had a camp last year. This year we are using their dome in our camp as our workshop space. It has a mylar cover and a swamp cooler, so we're happy to be getting a semi air conditioned space to host activities in.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:23 pm

2009 for me.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:27 pm

huggima, let this year be that of "Enabling BBCode".

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Huggima, you ever visit Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro*? If not, you should. We ought to meet. Try the Meet & Greet if nothing else on Thursday evening around 6 p.m.

* I am assuming you have at least heard of us.

huggima

Post by huggima » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Yes to Barbie Death camp! I have some photos of that camp from way back when. It inspired me to do some naughty creations to my old Barbies... :lol:

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

in my best shatner voice...

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:23 pm

"well played, huggima, well played."
Frida Be You & Me

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:12 am

Huggima,
First off, I think you didnt really clarify, even when you did edit your original post, what your truely asking us assholes.

Are you the Money collector? or a new member to a camp that has asked you to pay your camp dues to paypal?

If your the "money collector", Id call up your 100 peeps one by one and tell them to send the money to your P.O. box in money order or certified check form by this date: xx-xx-2011, no personal checks cause they can bounce!

If your a new member Just send the Camp mayor/treasurer or whatever they call the Money Collector, your dues in money order form.Then you have a receipt that you are paid up and all good.

If the only way they want to send their dues is pay pal, then it is what it is and all parties actually get to eat the taxes.

So the question you asked was so vague it seemed like a snark post by a SOCK puppet.
And well, we gots lots of vermen around here, so were really just a bunch of ferrel cute kittens!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

huggima

Post by huggima » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:19 am

Yep, the question was more specific to kinds of payment theme camps use in order to avoid taxes, paypal dues, etc. So many peeps aren't using checks these days and money orders aren't immediate, so paypal seems to be the quickest way to go, yet has it's consequences. Think we got it figured out, and thanks for the boobies!

Sk8GodFather
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Post by Sk8GodFather » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:27 am

I collect my camp fees in any way that is cashable!!!!! Paypal, jar of nickles, any way you need to do it that is cool with you is pretty much cool with me. I like organization to a point, but If I were you I would just keep it simple!!!

I don't know if this helps or not, but as a seasoned burner, the sarcasm is kinda funny. Think of it as your "Rite of Passage"

Return to “2011 Theme Camps”