Help me find a theme camp!

EddieB

Help me find a theme camp!

Postby EddieB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Hey guys!

I'm hoping to spend my first BM in a theme camp that hopefully would enhance my experience!

Here's some more info about me:

I'm looking for something low-maintenance where I'm not expected to work a ton or pay a ton. I dont need lots of amenities.
I live in Baltimore, so if there are any camps based nearby that would be nice.
I am interested in all kinds of art, but especially photography and video.
I like "chill" spaces, like hookah lounges.
I dont want to hear electronic music nonstop 24/7.
The most important thing is that the people are very friendly/welcoming with a good vibe. I'm looking to expand my mind.

Any direction or tips? Very much appreciated!!!

Eddie

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Re: Help me find a theme camp!

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Read through the list of theme camps. Find one that sounds good. Contact them. Repeat.

Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:29 pm

I think she means this, which is where you posted this thread: viewforum.php?f=188
(currently Zeke Chaparral)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 pm

How to Join a Theme Camp:
viewtopic.php?f=188&t=36767

It's a little late in the year to find a theme camp whom you'll have the time to get to know (and they you) in 51 days at a "very friendly" level, but if you are proactive you can track down a camp and convince them you're great. Generally either money or work is required though. And a theme camp is not necessary to survival, or even to have fun. If you're flying in, it's understandable to seek out amenities, but there are those who fly in and shop at the WalMarts and Home Depots in Reno. So that's another option.

Note: wording like "enhance my experience", "expand my mind" and "good vibe" make it sound like you're looking for a hookup of one kind or another, whether you are or not. People might think you're law enforcement.

Good luck!

EddieB

Postby EddieB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:18 pm

C.f.m- Thanks for responding but that's not very helpful. There are hundreds of camps and I'd rather not spend 50-100+ hours blindly contacting and having discussions with random camps!

Savannah- Thanks dude! I had no idea that I came across as looking for a hookup, or that law enforcement would even be an issue on people's minds (keep in mind I'm a BM noob). Thanks for the heads up! It's sounding like I should go indy which is fine, I'm very independent and don't NEED a support structure. It will probably help me have a more unique and unpredictable experience. You're right that because I'm flying in, I'm concerned about being able to bring enough to have enough food, water, shade, gifts, etc. but buying in Reno would probably work out for that.

Are people in camps generally cool with strangers (i.e. me) wandering in for some shade and to share a story or two?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Yeah, "chill" is one of the danger words in my reality.
Eddie--If I were a theme camp gatekeeper, I wouldn't let you in. You don't want to contribute money, you don't want to contribute work, and you seem much more interested in getting the best deal possible than in any sort of contribution.

I'm gonna tell you a secret. The best deal is joining a theme camp where you work your ass off and you don't even notice it's work. Sipping umbrella drinks watching the cuties in bathing suits is an experience available in all sorts of places in all sorts of countries. Burningman is not that vacation.

Or to cadge from Tom Lehrer: Burningman is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

EddieB

Postby EddieB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:47 pm

theCryptofishist: Good point. I'm not against the idea of doing work as long as it involves being social and not particularly back-breaking. I have a nightmare that I'd be assigned to spend most of my waking hours alone in the back of a tent cleaning up trash, disposing sewer water, or something. If the work involved serving drinks to strangers or something similar I'd LOVE to do that! See what I'm saying?

Really though if you read my original post, the amount of work and money was just one thing to keep in mind among several preferences. The best is a good overall-fit so that I can BOTH contribute and benefit the most.

I see how it's too late now to build a proper relationship with a camp, but any suggestions would still be welcome so that I can make sure to check out once I'm at BM!

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Read 2011 Theme Camps anyway, Eddie . . . you never know, some camp or other may inspire you to be a part of them, and then whatever they want in exchange for their comforts may not bother you.

You might even enjoy "camping small" your first time out, actually--lacking completely for obligations other than cleaning up after yourself and not being a burden to anyone. So what if you take baby wipe baths all week, and eat from cans? (And a solo person can actually arrange for better than that--I do). Your time would be entirely your own.

Note that you can visit theme camps all week if you like, without being part of one. They're interactive. If you find a bar you like, gift them some booze or mixers (especially late in the week, everyone's out of soda, juice, tonic water). You can sit in Center Camp and meet people, listen to music and watch performances, go out dancing all night. Talk to your neighbors right away, introduce yourself. You arrive alone, but it's hard to stay alone.

Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 pm

One of the disqualifications for a potential camp when I was looking last year was the requirement to pay money. It's not due to the fact that I'm a cheap bastard, it has more to do with the hope of being intrinsically valued by the camp. Last year, I never had to do any kind of job I didn't feel like doing at the time. Nobody had to, but everybody did their part. I'm not too particular to the notion of "chill" because to me it connotes to compensating for being a slacker by being cool (but it usually equates to being standoffish especially to the "non-cool") but if that's what somebody wants to do, it's their burn. I'm not insinuating that Eddie is like that.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Eddie...
The entire purpose of a theme camp is to provide *something* for the community - bar, dancing, yoga, workshops, chill space, performance, kites, sno-cones - so all theme camps want the burners to visit...

Living in a theme camp requires work - building, staffing events, managing crowds, serving burners, mooping, security, strike, LNT - most theme campers are committed to their camp's concept and enjoy their fellow creators, so the 'work' is FUN!

Theme camps are created for you to play in, 24/7(?) - no work/commitment/gifting required...

If you're a confident solo camper, just go it alone your first time...
meet your neighbors, share resources, volunteer a helping hand, explore theme camps at will...

perhaps you'll find a connection with a theme camp and wish to continue that relationship -
but getting into a dusty bed with virtual strangers who have a concept that needs commitment, when all you want to do is run free and discover, is maybe not the best way to experience your virgin year...

YMMV...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 pm

gaminwench wrote:Eddie...
The entire purpose of a theme camp is to provide *something* for the community - bar, dancing, yoga, workshops, chill space, performance, kites, sno-cones - so all theme camps want the burners to visit...

Living in a theme camp requires work - building, staffing events, managing crowds, serving burners, mooping, security, strike, LNT - most theme campers are committed to their camp's concept and enjoy their fellow creators, so the 'work' is FUN!

Theme camps are created for you to play in, 24/7(?) - no work/commitment/gifting required...

If you're a confident solo camper, just go it alone your first time...
meet your neighbors, share resources, volunteer a helping hand, explore theme camps at will...

perhaps you'll find a connection with a theme camp and wish to continue that relationship -
but getting into a dusty bed with virtual strangers who have a concept that needs commitment, when all you want to do is run free and discover, is maybe not the best way to experience your virgin year...

YMMV...

+1

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Well said, gaminwench.

Return to “2011 Theme Camps”