Gate lines for early entry?

TailsCut

Gate lines for early entry?

Post by TailsCut » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:25 am

This will be my first year with early entry and I'm curious what to expect in terms of gate lines? We're arriving Saturday afternoon, although we could shift that around a bit (and probably will if it's brutally hot)... I see that Gerlach is selling water 24/7 on Sat and Sun, making me think that a lot of people will be rolling in around then.

*edit: I guess it's not 24/7 if it's only for two days, eh?

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Gate lines for early entry?

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32 am

There will be a line.
You will wait.
The Man will Burn.
Of these things you may be sure.

:)

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:46 am

Let me give you a good answer.

I have arrived around 2 p.m. Saturday each of the past five years. The longest line of cars I have encountered was last year and I'd say I was fifth in line. It took less than 30 minutes to go from being inspected to having our newbie ring the bell. I will say, in our RV, they did a very good job of searching for stowaways. If you have a regular vehicle it could take a lot less time. They went so far as to open each compartment and check on the roof. So if you are coming in on Saturday afternoon figure no more than 30 minutes.

TailsCut

Post by TailsCut » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks Dr. Pyro!

@Ugly-D, good point about lines. We'll be sure that our stowaways have an extra oxygen bottle before we weld them into their coffins... err... "secret compartments"... :shock:

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:07 pm

I've seen it take anything from 15 minutes to an hour. In the moment, it'll seem like forever :)

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:09 pm

The lines are not bad at all. Pretty much like the doc explained. The thing that takes forever is that 5MPH drive down the long and empty road. The anticipation makes it seem like forever. Once your at the gate, it goes relatively quickly. It gives me goose pimples thinking about the first encounter with the gate people. Last year was an extra special arrival as Ygmir was there to greet us at the gate, and we knew several of the greeters, so it truly was a grand and special welcome home.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:39 pm

I can't wait to see if any of my friends are at Gate this year. It would be so fantastic. :)

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:There will be a line.
You will wait.
The Man will Burn.
Of these things you may be sure.

:)
You left off "There will be dust." :wink:
jkisha wrote:The lines are not bad at all. Pretty much like the doc explained. The thing that takes forever is that 5MPH drive down the long and empty road. The anticipation makes it seem like forever. Once your at the gate, it goes relatively quickly. It gives me goose pimples thinking about the first encounter with the gate people. Last year was an extra special arrival as Ygmir was there to greet us at the gate, and we knew several of the greeters, so it truly was a grand and special welcome home.
I thought we were the only ones to drive that slow on gate road. Everyone flies past us stirring up a ton of dust. :evil:
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Hey, I drive that slow. I am a responsible burner in an old vehicle with a rusty suspension system. And no A/C, so the windows are open if at all possible (except for last year, it was frikkin [b]cold[/b] When I drove up Sunday, and I was wet from being rained on in Wadsworth). Also, if you drive too fast you can't read all the signs along entry road...
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:27 pm

TailsCut wrote:This will be my first year with early entry and I'm curious what to expect in terms of gate lines? We're arriving Saturday afternoon,
In early will have almost no line at all. Bring cold drinks for us greeters.... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:24 pm

ibdave wrote:
In early will have almost no line at all. Bring cold drinks for us greeters.... 8) 8) 8)
Yup. Good advice. We always bring a cold six pack for gate and another for greeters.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 pm

jkisha wrote:
ibdave wrote:
Yup. Good advice. We always bring a cold six pack for gate and another for greeters.
And if you bring any for yourselves, make sure you don't open it until you get to your camp location and the car is parked. The cops have ticketed people before and after the greeters station for open containers in the car. They got night vision, the whole nine yards.
Do gift to the greeters if you are so inclined, but wait with your own until you hit your camp spot.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:31 am

jkisha wrote:... The thing that takes forever is that 5MPH drive down the long and empty road. The anticipation makes it seem like forever. ...
I love the drive from the highway to the gates....take the foot off the gas pedal, trust the car/van/truck not to stall out, and read the signs. It is a great time to appreciate leaving one world and entering another. Some people get the idea and do the creep along, but not many. I think scalpers have more respect for burners than those speeding and turning up the dust. (for those who don't know, ALL the dust storms are OUR dust. If you don't believe me, go to the Walk In camping area during a white out. If the wind is coming from that direction, there will be NO dust, just strong wind...I didn't believe it, but it's true...)

Gravybrain

Post by Gravybrain » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:24 pm

If you have never been in early you will be amazed how easy and quick it is compared to the 12am Sunday or later deal. There will be lot's of other vehicles but NOTHING like the normal madness... I wouldn't sweat it
Co-creator/builder Beau Le'Phant MV 2011, 2012. New MV for 2014 under construction: The Bi-Polar Express! http://bipolarexpress2014.weebly.com/

Galaxo Magic

Post by Galaxo Magic » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Yes, unless it's a white out, it goes quick, rarely wait for more than a few cars. I love the feeling when I come off of the gravel onto the playa! All the work of the last 50 weeks has paid off and I am home!
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium

jojofroyo
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Post by jojofroyo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:03 am

SnowBlind wrote:
jkisha wrote:
ibdave wrote:
And if you bring any for yourselves, make sure you don't open it until you get to your camp location and the car is parked. The cops have ticketed people before and after the greeters station for open containers in the car. They got night vision, the whole nine yards.
Do gift to the greeters if you are so inclined, but wait with your own until you hit your camp spot.

Last year I came in on Friday night. My wait in the line was maybe 10 minutes, I drive a truck and trailer, you seem to get through pretty fast if it is kinda open for them to look into.
When we got to the greeter station, our greeter told us he was bored since no one was coming to his line, so we stood around talking to him and drinking a few beers for about a hour. But we weren't in our car drinking. Then I made my sister drive the last little bit to camp, while I was drinking my cocktail out of a water bottle! I guess that is the secret to drinking in your car in line, just put it in a non-clear water bottle and they will have no idea!

I bet getting an open container at the gate would suck! I almost got one my second year. Dont use empty beer cans as ashtrays on your dashboard. It gives cops a good reason to come over talk to you. Thankfully the 10 cigg butts in the can, convinced the cop I hadnt been drinking. Lucky for me he didnt see the full beer I had open just before getting to the gate cleverly hidden in my cup holder right next to me.

I say just be careful! and spend your time in the line thinking about all the fun things that are about to happen to you!
;-)

Champagne Lounge!

http://facebook.com/Champagnelounge

Return to “2011 Theme Camps”