Playa Choir seeks singers and musicians!!

mamasaid

Playa Choir seeks singers and musicians!!

Post by mamasaid » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi everyone,

It's Madi, the Playa Choir director...

"...wait, there's a choir at burning man?"
"...do I have to audition?"
"...is it gonna be cool?"

I hear you across the lines, you shower singers, you choir singers, you rock stars and band members, you drum-line fanatics and house music dancers, you background singers and minstrel-jackalopes...to answer your queries...

The playa choir has been rocking Sunday morning on the playa for the last 6 years, we've grown from 7 members to over 50 in that time and keep busting the seams of our performance spaces each year! Maybe you are looking for a playa experience that includes you in the performance, or a grounding daily experience where you get to sing and rock back and forth with a mass of sweaty half-dressed singers, maybe you want to play in our rhythm section...

For whatever reason you are reading this post, I am here to give the details to your deepest singing queries...

the playa choir rehearses:

Wed, Thurs, Fri and Saturday morning at 10:30 am at the Jazz Cafe, usually found in the Inner Circle around Center Camp

We learn:
4 songs in 2-4 part harmony

We perform:
On Sunday morning at 11, rehearsal at 10, place TBA....

We sing our asses off in one of the most amazing cities in the world!!

On Sunday, we give, as our gift to our city, an ecumenical Sunday morning service where the choir rocks the house, words are spoken, tears are shed, joys are heightened and sorrows washed away...It's really a damn hoot! You should come join us!

WE NEED:

singers of all abilities
a rhythm section, meaning I need drums, bass, possible guitar, and a second keyboard player so I can direct and not play all the time.

If this interests you, come join our choir. We have a ball and we go for the ride!

contact me via email and I'll send you music and details!

much love and dusty-ass respect,

MADI

madis_service@yahoo.com
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire

TheSongstress

Re: Playa Choir seeks singers and musicians!!

Post by TheSongstress » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Madi, this sounds awesome . Im Sarah , I lead the biggest world music choir in London www.songlineschoir.co.uk but Ive recently got fully involved in organising and fronting the Occupulsx feral choir in the City Of London in front of St Pauls Cathedral ... http:/singupstpauls.weebly.com . I see so much connection between Occupy and Burning Man so Im really into the idea of setting up a Greeters Choir for the gates singing welcome songs in many languages. We have done this a t St Pauls and the effect on visitors who are expecting a grim wintery experience has been miraculous! Ive applied to be a volunteer today so if I hear back with a positive Id love to be part of the Playa Choir and would be thrilled to assist you if you could use some back up. With love Sarah

mamasaid

Post by mamasaid » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi Sarah...

wow...what a wonderful idea...
I wonder if you were thinking about this as when people first come through the gates or during the week as the choir already has their music together? there would not be enough time for the choir to prepare the music upon the arrival, but maybe later in the week...?

we don't start rehearsing until wednesday, and our main goal is to prepare music for the sunday service, and also to sing for the critical tits ride. my initial concerns are that I prefer not to book too much else with them as it is already quite a commitment to be there every day for 2 hours, then two other gigs. but not an impossible thing either...it's a good idea, one that would create a lot of great memories, I am sure.

why don't we stay in touch about this...I can be reached at
I have SO much on my plate right now with a full semester about to begin. I don't really start planning for the choir until about May...but I'm totally willing to let a pot simmer about some new ideas...

Madi
aka
Kathleen
Last edited by mamasaid on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:14 pm

might wanta edit that number out and send it as a private message/email !
Don't link to anything here!

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:29 pm

TheSongstress wrote:I see so much connection between Occupy and Burning Man

What.. like we all walk upright and have opposing thumbs? ..and that's on a good day? GFY!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Brianna_Beauty413

Post by Brianna_Beauty413 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:08 pm

What a wonderful thing to do! As soon as I read "choir" I instantly got excited :D
I sang Soprano 1 in High School and unfortunately haven't had the chance to be in another one since. Although I love going and singing karaoke at the bars and occasionally sing at weddings. I'd love to try and join! But before I get too excited I should make sure I actually have a ticket :wink:

love,
Bri<3
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:47 pm

You guys may want to consider starting a thread in the 2012 event forum to talk about plans for the burn ahead.

BeyondIndigo

Post by BeyondIndigo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:20 pm

I was wondering/hoping something like this existed...

I can't make any kind of art and I can't light lamps because heavy poles and wrist problems...

But I can sing.

Will watch for 2012 thread B-)
Beware the creeping Britishness

Return to “2011 Art & Performance”