music made by humans

elijacob
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Things That Swing

music made by humans

Post by elijacob » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for camps at burning man where I can find people spinning music made by humans on instruments, rather than on a computer? (i don't expect it to be live music).

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but for some reason, my body only wants to dance to analog music (for lack of a better term).

Hip-hop, dub, reggae, funk, afro-pop all welcome.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Re: music made by humans

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Thought we had a thread for this.

[youtube][/youtube]

elijacob

Post by elijacob » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:05 am

Hey ugly dougly, thanks for the rad clip. I looked for a post on this subject but was unable to find anything. if you know one, I'd much obliged if you were at to send it my way.

how was your burn?

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:18 am

Hair of the Dog seems like a good place for rock and blues, and they've had open jam sessions at times I've stopped by in the past. Jazz Cafe is one of my favorites, but they take a year off sometimes.
Ain't it a groove?

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:00 pm

I feel ya! Nothing like live music! I love the electronic music too but I gravitate towards the bands.

Hair of the Dog, usually around 5&A. LOVE this place! Friday night was Radness! Mojo Green, a funk jam band from Reno, plus Snail Trail, Curly Doodle and all kinds of crazy shit....Heck we even did the Time Warp at one point.
Cirque Du Cliche (Wed night especially)
Burners without Borders on the Esplanade had some great horn ensembles and drums!
I know its newbish but Center Camp at night has great stuff.....Ive found my dancing heart there many a time to Marching bands and afrobeat ensembles.
Iron Rose has Bluegrass Jams (Ive never been but Im making it a #1 priority next year)
Rhythm Wave was playing some EXCELLENT 'analog' electronic music. Old hits all remixed super funstyle. Dance floor was socks only and soft wood = euphoria!
Fandango on the Esplanade had a Mash Up party on Thurs....I missed it but I bet it is fun. OMG Music with Words!

I would like to make a guide like the Rockstar Librarian does with the DJs of all live music. Lets see how motivated I get next year.

HINT: Travel the Suburbs and keep your ears peeled. You will find what you are looking for!

Snow

Post by Snow » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:18 pm

I heard much great music this year compared to years past (music made by humans). My highlight was an electric violin on the Heart Decco Bus at Troy camp. So soothing and relaxing.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam

hookahdude

Post by hookahdude » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Like this?

[youtube][/youtube]

(I swear to god... this youtube posting shit is pissingme off...)

They have anywhere from 7-11 musicians on stage at any time. Described by Peter Gabriel as the best live band he has ever seen.
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 pm

elijacob wrote:Hey ugly dougly, thanks for the rad clip. I looked for a post on this subject but was unable to find anything. if you know one, I'd much obliged if you were at to send it my way.

how was your burn?
I think that thread got deleted. Ephemera!

UD didn't burn this year. Maybe next, if there is one. ;)

elijacob

Post by elijacob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:42 am

Red Heaven - let me know if you do put a list together. I'd love to see it.

Ugly Dougly - hope you make it out next year.

Hookahdude - i liked that link. did they play out at black rock?

I had a really hard time this year with the music, but I found some really soulful stuff I liked at Pink Mammoth and Robot Heart.

Meantime, as an update that has nothing to do with music at burning man, I'm up to my ears here in NYC with Occupy Wall Street. For the first time in years (maybe ever?) I am hopeful we can make a change.

Love,
Eli

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:50 am

elijacob wrote:Meantime, as an update that has nothing to do with music at burning man, I'm up to my ears here in NYC with Occupy Wall Street. For the first time in years (maybe ever?) I am hopeful we can make a change.
Me too.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “2011 Art & Performance”