Can some one clear this up?

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Can some one clear this up?

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:44 pm

I was looking at the facebook burning man page tonight and saw this

They got $24,270 from K******r and $27,280 from ********** equalling out at $51,550
I am not sure if any other places where used.

Well as you can see from the post..... yeah.
Quoted "We don't think it's fair for us to ask the community for the entire amount, so we're asking for half of what we owe, $20000, in this campaign"

It cost at least $90,000 to build the temple?

I do not work in construction but my family does. This seems to be enough to construct this as it has no concreat base, plumbing, normal power, carpet, cabinets and no wages to pay, ect ect.

Can some one inform me? Am I wrong in the calulations? I was not there, but from what I can see in photos, it is made mostly of plywood,2x4's, and 2x6's. With 500 sheets of ply wood it would come out to about $11,000 on the high end. around $3000 for 1000 2x4's and about the same for 2x6, figure in hard ware another say $2000?

If you think this is commerce im sorry. I was not sure if this was promotion, cause it is not. Just a question i am wondering about
Last edited by tattoogoddess on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Can some one clear this up?

Post by ygmir » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:51 pm

you may have to trust............
if you saw the size and complexity of that project, it may make a difference to you........and the cost of pyrotechnics and other cursory things.......I'd bet most of the workers were volunteer.

I, for one, knowing the folks who worked on it, well some of them, trust what they say, to be very true, and accurate........

seems sort of "off base" to ask here......maybe, if you're that interested/suspicious, you want to ask them, directly?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm

I wanted to ask here as I know many many of you have seen it. I have not.
Like I said my family works in the construction trade and my step father own a construction business. Just Idk seemed a bit high?
I was not aware they paid for the fireworks I thought BMORG paid for those... I guess i ASSumed.

I also did ask on the post about this.:)

But yeah just wondering is all. Not trying to be suspicious. Just cerous, as I said I was not there, I am going off photos alone. I hope this is not taken the wrong way.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 pm

I didn't follow the temple build, but I've heard that it was the largest temporary structure ever built.

I'm sure transporting it to the playa was not cheap. Just getting the 3 of us with camp gear and supplies to the playa cost us thousands (in one vehicle in a single trip), I hate to think how much it cost to move all that there.

They may also have had to rent the space they did the prefab construction in and I have no doubt there were many other things that cost a fair amount of money. It was a huge multi storey structure - so I'm fairly sure there was more than just nails and drywall screws holding it together. It is also pretty likely that some heavy equipment was needed to raise it as well. And that cost may also include the cost of the asbestos blanket or whatever they prevent burn scars with and carting away the remains too.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for that, alot of that i did not consider in. I know they had 20 semis from reno to BRC to move it. Always wondered how they prevented burn scars.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:15 pm

$90,000 to build the Temple doesn't surprise me at all- big structures out there cost a fortune- transportation of materials alone has got to be ridiculous. The Man budget for 2010 (last Afterburn published) was $156,000 (The Man and Platform; materials, pyrotechnics, technicians, labor). The Temple was much larger than the Man from 2010 or 2011, $90,000 sounds about right.

Drawingablank wrote:I didn't follow the temple build, but I've heard that it was the largest temporary structure ever built.
I keep hearing that & have yet to hear anything that says it's other than hyperbole. If it was the largest temporary structure ever built, it's just had it's butt kicked... granted, no where as pretty as the Temple (not even pretty at all, as a matter of fact), but definitely bigger.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:25 pm

LOL you sure are being super cautious. You can say Kickstarter and IndyGogo or whatever other fund raising site they are using for this final push.

And the Temple was beautiful this year, and the largest ever built. It outszed the man this year.

Everything is expensive these days, and I'm not sure what region of the country you are basing your guestimates from, but coming from Los Angeles, that seems like a deal.

Frankly, I wouldn't care if they made a few bucks for their efforts.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:38 pm

National price/broad spectrum.

165 k for the man!! DAMN!!!!!

Maybe we should look into recycling wood for year after year...... but... then it would have to be renamed to

Gaint Man Festival
Hand Me Down Man
Budget Man

or some other lame name I can't think up at the moment.

I still get over 165 k for that. All though those fireworks are not cheap.

and yes im being careful... we know what happened last time. Danielle imploded.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:41 pm

*grin*

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:42 pm

The Temple crew would not ask for donations if they didn't need them.

heya jkisha, I like to say Twinkies, Gucci, UGGS, wonder bread, fulifilm, winco, Casio..as in we all utilize products during the other 51 and for me, during the event, ya' know, lmao!

As AntiM so apptly put it, "Twinkie away!' hahaha!

TG, it's CHEAPER (and much more fun) to burn everything, than it is to haul it off the playa (and we do recycle as much re-useable wood as possible for Habitat for Humanity) :mrgreen:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:06 pm

TattoGoddess, your estimates are extremely low.

$11,000?

They spent more than that just on air for their nailguns.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:08 pm

for plywood yeah.

Ok im off to bed I can't keep my eyes open.

Something to hold you over till i can bless you with my rediculas presence again

NIGHTY NIGHT!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:32 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Thanks for that, alot of that i did not consider in. I know they had 20 semis from reno to BRC to move it. Always wondered how they prevented burn scars.

Burn scars are actually prevented with gravel, not asbestos as was mentioned above (asbestos would be Very Bad). I was trying to find a picture where you could see it, but it's not exactly photogenic stuff....
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 pm

I never thought of the reason for the gravel!

I just thought it was kinda neat. :lol:

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:48 pm

The temple's costs were far north of $90K. And keep in mind, those costs were largely just materials and transportation - the artists and labor was all on a volunteer basis. As you'll see in the coming year, the cost of just getting to the playa can be ridiculous... let alone building art on a massive size and scale. Even on small projects, it's easy for costs to spiral out of control. Post-playa debts aren't uncommon.

If you have specific questions or concerns regarding the accounting of a particular project, I'd encourage you to contact that group (or camp) directly.

As for largest temporary structure, I think neither the temple nor Pasquale's structure for Nocturnal hold a candle to a temporary build that amounted to a stadium and support structure for the Montreal stop on U2's 360 tour. They turned the Hippodrome into a much larger stadium space and support structure for their 160-ton stage (which held aloft 210 tons of AV gear, if memory serves), which accommodated some 162K people over the course of the two nights they were there (and good for them, purchasing carbon offsets to cover not only the carbon footprint for transportation, but for the construction of all their stage gear).

Burn scar prevention can vary depending on the size of the project. I'd suspect that with the Temple Of Transition they had a gravel base with sand as well (all of which gets packed back out, along with any playa that was damaged).

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:21 am

Giving this a nudge to the 2011 Art & Performance board.

Rabbette

Post by Rabbette » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:00 am

tattoogoddess wrote:
Maybe we should look into recycling wood for year after year...... but... then it would have to be renamed to

Gaint Man Festival
Hand Me Down Man
Budget Man
That one really got me laughing!
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 am

This just adds credence to one of my possible actions for the brigade next year.

I am hoping to get enough people recruited for the Brigade that we can stage a protest at the Man carrying signs along the lines of - "Innocent til Proven Guilty", "Burn Larry / Save the Man", "What about the kids?", "Make Peace, not MOOP!"
MOOP Czar

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:09 am

lol!!
Let me know how that works out. ;)

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:11 am

tattoogoddess wrote:lol!!
Let me know how that works out. ;)
So you are saying that u will not support the "cause"?

Disappointing.

I am of course, joking.

A little.
MOOP Czar

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am

Eric wrote:
tattoogoddess wrote:Thanks for that, alot of that i did not consider in. I know they had 20 semis from reno to BRC to move it. Always wondered how they prevented burn scars.

Burn scars are actually prevented with gravel*, not asbestos as was mentioned above (asbestos would be Very Bad). I was trying to find a picture where you could see it, but it's not exactly photogenic stuff....
*specifically "decomposed granite".
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:57 am

"DG" -- decomposed granite -- trucked from Spanish Springs north of Sparks. It's overburden from the quarry operations. Sandy fine gravel.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Return to “2011 Art & Performance”