TEDx Talk On the 2011 Temple

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

TEDx Talk On the 2011 Temple

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:35 am

The TED Talks have their own independently organized regionals. This one from Vancouver BC is by some of the organizers, Erin Macri and Jai' Aquarian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgSLqfTpMiE
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Re: TEDx Talk On the 2011 Temple

Post by Trishntek » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:08 am

Realizing they only have 18 minutes to make their presentation, it might have planted a seed of some sort. Admittedly, they kept focus on the temple and not so much the event. I just cannot help but wonder how many in the audience thought, "You burned it? REALLY? After all that, YOU BUrNED it?"

Yes, they mention the dry heat and alkaline dust. But they also, if I may use the term, PROMOTE a "pilgrimage" which would appeal to some as an exotic exercise of soul cleansing.

They do mention funding but do not really provide details other than the global involvement and "IAM". So is this another non-profit which operates within the confines of BRC without our knowledge?

The vid leaves me with more questions, but I'm sure others can articulate them better than me.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:53 am

Not the talk I would have given. I would have shown more of the memorials which make it the finest art project on the playa. The dynamics within the large team. Stories of the participants.

I am curious now what a playa engineered foundation is...
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:44 am

performance felt like a local TV news broadcast...or an award ceremony like the oscars. with the roles shared between the speakers being basically... pointless...with no real understandable reason for one person to be saying one thing and the other saying something else..... seemed like switching off just to give them something to do...

cheeze.

well at least the temple was talked about..
Don't link to anything here!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 am

...heavily involved in coordinating and delivering transformative personal growth workshops and retreats... physical therapist pursuing a PhD in experimental medicine...
<unclick>
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:34 am

But my tumor is a personal growth!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 pm

@Trishntek - it's my understanding that the International Arts Megacrew was formed for the purposes of designing and building the temple, and that they made no secret of their existence to either Burning Man or the community they were soliciting donations from. If I'm not mistaken, they were even mentioned/credited on the honorarium art grant page.

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:25 pm

@Trilobyte, thanks for clarifying IAM. I find myself getting a bit cynical about this whole PnP thing and possible involvement of corporations and "benefactors" who have gainful incentives pertaining to BM involvement.

I understand the logistical nightmare such projects demand and find it problematic when accomplishments presented on the playa are USED for personal gain in defaultia.

Don't get me wrong, I've personally "brought the burn home" in my own fashion. But believe me when I say, "There is no personal gain that motivates me to do it." In fact, it costs me $hundreds$ every month and just as many hours of labor to keep it going.

When I see two people waxing eloquent of their Burning Man accomplishments and presenting it in such an academic fashion, it smacks of playing the role of benefactor and not so much the participant.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:19 pm

Has anyone here participated in any of the conferences?

Dave_techie

Post by Dave_techie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:06 am

As to IAM - it was not constituted expressly in order to build the temple, Megatropolis (2010) was a Megacrew project. Further IAM continues this year, on playa and off trying very hard to bring the burn home.

Just Sayin'

http://internationalartsmegacrew.com/ More info will be available there when it is available :)

AND you have to love Lady Macri, and Jai - they have makita's and AWESOME socks.

Would I have done it the same? No, i would have stumbled over my words - said something UNBELIEVABLY inappropriate that no one would have understood, and apologized for it so quickly that no one would be sure wtf just happened.

but that's me - they're them.

Return to “2011 Art & Performance”