WiFi Card recommendation for Playa net....and off playa?

Rides, Resources, Obtainium.
This a GIFTING forum only - no buying, selling, or bartering.
Kinetic II

WiFi Card recommendation for Playa net....and off playa?

Post by Kinetic II » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:52 pm

After looking at the specs that the Oregon County Fair Embassy posted about wireless internet access on the playa, I'm thinking of buying a WiFi PCMCIA card. I also need it for my regular work so it's going to see lots of use. My question is: Does anyone have any brand preferences for the type of card that works best both on playa and off? I'm doing my research but I'd like to hear recommendations from BM participants who actually use the cards. I've heard some horror stories and that's why I'm asking for advice.

Niacin
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Zondermaan

Post by Niacin » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:56 pm

802.11b I assume?

I'm a really big fan of the Cisco Aironet 350 series. Them's cheep now, too.

Cheers,
Max
lebenskunstler - noun, German - someone for whom life is an art form.

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:51 pm

I've got a lynksys wpc11. seems to work fine around the house. i was camped at authority and ridiculous and could not get a connection consistant enough to use email or playanet.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:56 pm

For what it's worth, I've heard good things about D-Link over Linksys. I don't own either, though, so YMMV.

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:31 pm

Cisco Aironet 350 series
Ah'yep. Gotta agree.
Desert dogs drink deep.

DE FACTO

Post by DE FACTO » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:41 pm

netgear and 3com have done ok for me but if they all follow 802.11b they all should be ok right.

also Ailchinn did you get in contact with my friend.

his algorythim increases data transfers.

DE FACTO

Post by DE FACTO » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:47 pm

also try IPV6

(internet 2)

there is also IPV6 for pocket pc.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Windo ... 3_Overview

are you asking for pocket pc or laptop?

Zona

Post by Zona » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:51 pm

Tell you what though, my friend had a card, and we could see the weather.
So we stayed a day later because we found out it was not going to rain and trap our airplane. I loved it, because it took the pressure off me.
Laika and me went on a ride.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:25 pm

I'm leaning towards Cisco as the first choice, D-Link as the second. When I can't carry a laptop and have to use the PDA, I'd like to have a choice besides the PCS aircard. The aircard is all Sprint's which means I don't like using it for my personal use. There's that little legal thing about Sprint owning any work I do with their equipment...that won't work.

De Facto, I haven't had time to check on too much. I was out today, and besides a few hours of Tee-Kill-Ya time now, I have ren fest and regional decompression coming up on Saturday. Next week once things calm down I'll look into it. And thanks for giving me another reason to upgrade to Pocket PC 2003. I've been hesitating on it...now it's time.

And Zona's post is reason #1 why the iPAQ will have a card next year. I hate weather surprises.

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:50 am

I am somewhat of a techie and this thread has peaked my interest about the wifi and ipv6.

What is ipv6?
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

talisen

Post by talisen » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:50 pm

Niacin wrote:I'm a really big fan of the Cisco Aironet 350 series.
Those are a good bet. The ability to add an external antenna is rather handy as well.

seandee

Post by seandee » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:53 am

DVD Burner wrote:I am somewhat of a techie and this thread has peaked my interest about the wifi and ipv6.
What is ipv6?
when in doubt always go to the wkipedia first
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6 :wink:
IPv6 is version 6 of the Internet Protocol.
IPv6 is intended to replace the previous standard,
IPv4, which only supports up to about 4 billion (4 × 109) addresses,
whereas IPv6 supports up to about 3.4 × 1038 addresses.

thars more tek nik ull stuff thar for further perusal

Reeve

Cisco

Post by Reeve » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:26 pm

I wud go wif Cisco Aronet 350.....but no matter what card you have if you go to Center Camp to connect ..your speeds are significantly better....

Cheers
Japhy
"its piss clear not piss forever!"

sgrunspa

extend range for Wi-fi

Post by sgrunspa » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:32 pm

I don't want to be connected at BRC, but if I did I would bring/build one of those 'cantennaes'. 10 mile range and they cost about $5 to build. they are highly directional, but you just need to figure out where to point it once and fix it.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/1008901
time wounds all heels - groucho marx

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:35 pm

go for 802.11 g ...longer range and if you want longer range get a card with a pigtail and get a can or some kind of 2 gig antenna
wi-fi planet is a good resource
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:28 am

anybody have any idea how the i710 works on the playa?
(yes I know it's new. just taking a chance to see if anyone has done it yet.)

http://www.nextel.com/support/user_guid ... i710.shtml

sgrunspa

Post by sgrunspa » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:59 am

of course things could change, but last year there wasn't any cell phone serivce from any provider on the playa.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:06 am

I should have made myself a little bit clearer.

This phone has several admin tasks it can handle in addition to it's walkie talkie has gps capabillities.

Plus...I hear through the grapevine that verizon will have a tower in the desert? anybody know about this?

ejl

Re: WiFi Card recommendation for Playa net....and off playa?

Post by ejl » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:17 pm

Kinetic II wrote:After looking at the specs that the Oregon County Fair Embassy posted about wireless internet access on the playa, I'm thinking of buying a WiFi PCMCIA card. I also need it for my regular work so it's going to see lots of use. My question is: Does anyone have any brand preferences for the type of card that works best both on playa and off? I'm doing my research but I'd like to hear recommendations from BM participants who actually use the cards. I've heard some horror stories and that's why I'm asking for advice.
I haven't been to BM yet, but here's my two-cents on 802.11b:

I've been very happy with my SMC 2532W-B card. It puts out 200mw plus the little plastic end with the antennas inside can be removed to use an external antenna. The extra power insures that I can usually work any access point that the card can hear.

Unless you're really close to the access points you'll probably have to get your antenna up in the air and line-of-sight to the access point's antenna. When I go out driving to do "signal surveys" I use a 5.5db magnet mounted antenna from Jefa Tech that seems to do a pretty good job. You can roll-your-own antenna, but unless you're used to working with really tiny exotic rf connectors you'll end up spending as much on a pigtail adaptor and quality coax for your antenna as you would spend on an inexpensive factory built antenna.

I still haven't decided if I'll risk my PC laptop on the Playa or take an old clamshell iBook instead. Since the iBook doesn't have any external slots and the 802.11b card is buried under the keyboard using an external antenna is out of the question. I am thinking that I would buy one of the newer USB-to-802.11 devices and run a USB extension cable (max length for usb is around 16ft) from the computer up a short pole in order to get a signal.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:20 pm

WHOA!

I like ejl. :lol:

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:53 pm

I brought my laptop and used it mostly in my truck, no problems ( just keep it protected and away from the playa dust as carefully as possible) ...had an external backfire antenna on my engenis 802.11B card worked fine but the sat connection had alot of problems last year....down alot...I hope they get it together this year..
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:54 pm

I've had the best luck with SMC and except for the Dell laptop with it's Mini-PCI card I won't use anything else when I'm using civilian networks.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:34 am

Return to “2004 Share”