Does anyone have a trencher, or intereste in co-renting

Rides, Resources, Obtainium.
This a GIFTING forum only - no buying, selling, or bartering.
AndreasAsylum

Does anyone have a trencher, or intereste in co-renting

Post by AndreasAsylum » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:46 pm

I need to bury a bunch of cable in the playa for my Theme camp. I am looking into all ways of obtaining a trencher. If someone has one and is willing to bring it out that would rock. Maybe someone is already bringing one and is willing to share it for 2 hours or so. I also looked into renting them in Reno. I would be willing to bring it to the playa and the co-renter returns it. We would divide cost evenly.

Write me at andreas0@aol.com if interested

Andreas

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:39 pm

Jeez,

Unless there's something you've forgotten to include you %%might%% get back in touch with theme camp placement and let them know that you have this idea that its OK to mechanically dig a trench in the middle of BRC.

Really, you need to get an OK on this unless you're up for drawing a big crowd, really quickly of the wrong kind of people that you don't want to have to deal with. Digging large holes and trenching are not cool and unless you know something the rest of us don't as far as last minute rule changes and such I'd say you might want to reconsider your plans.

Apologies in advance if this has been pre-approved by camp registration although I'd be really surprised to find that i it was.
Desert dogs drink deep.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:36 pm

Badger is right, The only holes you are allowed to dig are for post support. Your suppose to place the playa soil in a bag for replacement. I believe the size of the hole can be 6 inches wide and up to 2 ft deep, and they want you to use a post hole digger. I will post the link to where I got this info if I can find it again....unless of course they granted you this for your theme camp.
Good luck!

Dardanian

Existing deep playa generatorsh

Post by Dardanian » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:00 am

I understand the logic behind not allowing shallow trenches... it would create a pretty big footprint if not done or cleaned up after properly. I wonder, however, how tightly it is enforced given that I saw literally dozens of large generators a few hundred yards out into the desert with lines that dissapeared under the sand... presumably leading to the camps on the Esplinade or even deeper into the rings. Other generators which were next to art projects had splitters that routed both to the project and... inward towards the Esplinade was well.

Enforcement aside (as you shouldn't need enforcement to do the right thing), I wonder if there is some REALLY effective way to fix said trenches since it was so common.

If you can get permission, you might try asking the folks at the camps with deep-playa generators if you could use theirs and for assistance in fixing the footprint after, since they must have some knowledge from doing their own. If you can't figure out how to get permission, they might be able to direct you to the right place at the last minute (though bothering DPW or whoever once the event begins should be an option of last resort.)
-Christopher of Aeneadae
Per ardua ad astra

Return to “2004 Share”