The Zaggat Guide to the Regional Burns

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

The Zaggat Guide to the Regional Burns

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Who here has been to more than one different Regional Burn and can share their thoughts on what they are like, which were their favorites and why.

Besides two trips out to the Playa, I've only been to Apogaea (Colorado) which was really, really fun, but with around 500 participants it was a much different vibe and scale (obviously) than Burning Man.

I've heard Flipside is incredible. How about Singularity or Toast and the rest?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:57 am

I've been to both Singularity and Element 11, plus Dark Skies which is Singularity in the autumn.

Singularity is closest to the playa in conditions, hot and on a dry lakebed, permitted by BLM. Don't know how many folks there were, but there was art and bars and rangers and spinners and music and explosions and a burning icon and rangers and a gate with greeters. Four days, had a good time, same long commute from Northern Utah as to Reno, but worth it. Dark Skies is smaller and colder, which I may have liked more.

Element 11, or the Utah burn formerly known as Synorgy, runs to about 400 people. Held on private property, Seabase, it is also a permitted event, but through the local Tooele County. Just outside of Grantsville off I-80, the terrain is salt marsh with mud and vegetation and pools of salt water to avoid. There is swimming available, and since the owners also run a business teaching scuba diving (did I mention DEEP salt pools?) there is no nudity during business hours, not even in the showers. That's not a Utah thing like some visitors think, just common courtesy to our hosts. All the usual suspects, art and fire and mutant vehicles. The fire performances are amazing as Utah has the Incendiary Circus and they put on quite a show. Lots of burns, plenty of art and music. Nice chill vibe, but that may just be me. Less room to spread out, so it gets kinda cozy in some spots. Every year someone doesn't read the site map and has to have their vehicle pulled out of the mud! I adore E-11, but then it is all hometown folks, and peoples is what I luvs at these events.

If you're a real trooper, the Utah Winter Solstice Burn is also held at Seabase, and while it is only one evening, we had four (more?) burns! And yes, it was right around 20 degrees out with snow on the ground. Oh yeah. Good times.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:45 am

thanks for the helpful info.

Apogaea in Colorado is about 450 folks and has the usual suspects: fire spinning, theme camps, great music and a pretty ribald Miss Apogaea pagent. Burning the central effigy depends on previous rainfall and fire-bans since the site is in the mountains.

Ive heard great things about Flipside. Has anyone been?

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:22 pm

Ah, the fire bans. That's why E-11 is held so early in June, the fire ban usually doesn't kick in until about July. Construction of the effigy often begins in May since we're granted access to the property. That's why we can roll with things like the 30 foot gingerbread man for Candyland. E-11 has themes, last year was The WasteLands.

And the bugs get aggressive in the summer, early is better than late on a salt marsh.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:32 am

This is a great idea, a chance for the Regionals to get a spotlight.

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:42 pm

I've been to a few:

Dark Skies - Singularity (May, near Las Vegas). As AntiM said, it is a small BM feeling event. It is on a playa, it is hot, Theme Camps, etc. It feels like about 2 blocks of BM. With say 600 people.

Dark Skies (Fall, near Las Vegas). Same site as the other Dark Skies. Smaller. Felt more like a giant house party, but with Theme Camps, etc.

FdlM October. An hour east of San Diego, on private property. Felt a lot like Singularity. Theme Camps, etc. It is in wooded desert, so there is some shade. I think it was about 500 people.
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill

scotto
Camp Name: PolyParadise

TOAST! - Arizona Regional Burn - May 3-6, 2007

Post by scotto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:04 am

http://www.toast-town.org

Welcome to the home of Toast!, an Arizona burn hosted by the Azburners. Come out to Witch Well AZ and join us for 4 days of large scale art, music, performance, and interactive participation.

The Azburners are an interactive group of artists, performers, musicians and participants of the Burning Man event that takes place in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada. Toast! is not a rave, it is an event created by the Azburners community to bring the culture of Burning Man and Black Rock City to our region. We expect each attendee to participate in the event in some way. Participation and creative interaction is a core value of our culture.

Create, participate, no spectators! Respect for alternative lifestyles and cultures is required. There is no water or power on this property. We will have porta-potties available for your use. You must bring everything you need to survive for four days in a hostile desert environment, then pack it all out with you when it is over. There is no garbage disposal, you must haul it out and dispose of it properly. Create, participate, pack it in-pack it out, leave no trace! This is a 21 years of age and over event. No one under 21 will be admitted without parents, legal guardian or spouse who is at least 21.

- Toast practices a gift economy.
- No vending, advertising or commercial activity allowed.
- The offering of any items or services for sale is prohibited.

http://azburners.org
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!

DJB

Nowhere

Post by DJB » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:08 am

If you want to travel a little further, then check out Nowhere (www.goingnowhere.org). The Burn is held in North East Spain on the second weekend in July. The event is four days and we expect around 300 people this year.

If anything the weather can sometime be hotter than Black Rock (High last year was 115f) and the days are three hours longer. So make sure you bring as much water as you would for BM.

The event is completely put together by attendies and we build everything we need, including tolets and a large main shade structure.

I've also been to PDF in the fall of 2005 and it was a lot of fun, even though it was very wet.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:34 am

Nowhere Burn in Spain sounds really great, I'v only been to Madrid and Barcelona, but I truly loved my experiences there and suspect the Aragon region is filled with similarly beautiful and warm people.

Still wondering if anyone has been to Flipside and care to share their impressions.

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:19 am

I'm a bit dismayed that what are essentially camping trips limited to a small number of people are allowed to be listed as Ofishal Regional Burns.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

Bruce Scanlon

Kiwiburn Feb 9-12 New Zealand

Post by Bruce Scanlon » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:30 pm

www.kiwiburn.com/

Hi everyone, my name is Bruce, and I am a burner (Hi Bruce!).

I've just moved to New Zealand and I am helping organise the regional event here. This is the 4th year of the festival but the first year "going legit" on public land with permits and the like.

I've been thinking a lot about what it takes to have a burning man, and I realise that for me the most important thing is the culture.

And how is culture transmitted? By the exposure to those who are already part of the culture.

Thus, my request-- if it is possible for you, we'd love it if you could bring your fabulous burner selves down and be a critical part of not just having a cool event, but of helping us transmit the culture of burning man, carry the flame so to speak, to a new land.

Cheers,

Bruce :-)

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:10 pm

[quote="Steven bradford"]I'm a bit dismayed that what are essentially camping trips limited to a small number of people are allowed to be listed as Ofishal Regional Burns.[/quote]

Huh? Burning Man started with only 80 and kinda grew over the years... that's the idea with the regionals

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:58 pm

Some of these events never grow, have no real art or performance ambition, and actively try not to involve people outside a core group of people who make it to BRC every year. Yet they keep getting official blessing from San Francisco as Regional Events.

They essentially suck the energy out of attempts by anyone else to bring the BRC spirit back to their communities, by establishing a stranglehold on the BM brand to have private house parties and camping trips.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted

Otisserie

Which events?

Post by Otisserie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:17 pm

Steven bradford wrote:Some of these events never grow, have no real art or performance ambition, and actively try not to involve people outside a core group of people who make it to BRC every year. Yet they keep getting official blessing from San Francisco as Regional Events.

They essentially suck the energy out of attempts by anyone else to bring the BRC spirit back to their communities, by establishing a stranglehold on the BM brand to have private house parties and camping trips.
Well, since this is the Zagat guide, be specific. Which events are you talking about? How are they limiting involvement? Many regionals started out very small and have grown a lot. Many have a significant amount of art and performance. It doesn't help anyone here to have you complain about "some events" and not tell us which ones and what the problem is.
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:40 am

Hey Steve,

What Otisserie said. Share with the Class. In your opinion, which regionals never made it past private camping trip status? I've only been to one Regional (Apogaea) and it definitely was chocked full-o-art and had that same, weird, wonderful vibe as BM proper.

Any one been to Flipside and care to comment?

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:15 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:Hey Steve,

What Otisserie said. Share with the Class. In your opinion, which regionals never made it past private camping trip status? ...
You mean, which ones lacked a strong art component?

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:32 am

[quote="Ugly Dougly"]You mean, which ones lacked a strong art component?[/quote]

Yes, "and actively try not to involve people outside a core group of people who make it to BRC every year"

I'd like to do some road tripping to a couple regionals I haven't been to and Im interested in hearing other folks' comments.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:02 pm

AntiM wrote:....there is no nudity during business hours, not even in the showers. That's not a Utah thing like some visitors think, just common courtesy to our hosts.
this is not meant as any kind of discourtesy to the hosts or yourself, AntiM. but....

Might not be be a Utah thing but sure sounds Mormon that you can't take a shower naked. How do you get clean if ya gotta wear garments even in the shower.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:06 pm

Well, I did neglect to mention these are fairly open pool showers. Swimsuit kinda place.

Although I do know older Mormons who take showers as quickly as possible so their own bodies won't tempt them into, er, abuse. No, really.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:40 am

It don't haveta be no carbon copy of ye old BurningmanTM

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:56 am

Steven bradford wrote:Some of these events never grow, have no real art or performance ambition, and actively try not to involve people outside a core group of people who make it to BRC every year. Yet they keep getting official blessing from San Francisco as Regional Events.

Most Regional Burns must limit ticket sales due to limited land area.
The difficulty of getting tickets to the more popular Regionals can
make them seem elitist, but the lack of unlimited tickets is a practical matter, and not an attempt to keep new people out.

There may be some smaller "burns" that qualify as private camping trips, but these are usually not publicised outside a small circle of friends,
or outside a small geographic area.

The number of tickets for a Regional Burn may be limited, but the number of potential Regional Burns is not. ANYONE may organize a Regional in their area, and get the blessing of BMORG if the principles of Burning Man are followed. I would like to encourage MORE people to organize MORE Regionals. I don't see how any person or group can put a "stranglehold
on the BM brand". The number or Regionals is UNLIMITED. I think Florida has three now, and I'm sure BMORG would welcome 4, 5, and 6.

Don't like the Regional in your area? Start another one.

Burn on,
Gizmo

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Good practical advice.
Steve

Paint or Be Painted

hana

Re: Kiwiburn Feb 9-12 New Zealand

Post by hana » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Bruce Scanlon wrote:www.kiwiburn.com/
Why am I only just finding out about this now?! The day it starts?! Bugger! :(

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:06 pm

For my two cents I will offer an idea. Drive the Playa on any major holiday (when dry) and there will be...the most interesting, far fucking out shit going on. July 4th is especially recommended.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:39 am

yes...we are par-taking in forth of juplaya this yr! very excited!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:46 am

I used to live in Phoenix, Steve, I think I know exactly what you're referring to. For what it's worth, that's far from what's going on with most regional groups and regional events.

My recommendation is, instead of hitting the regional shindig nearest you this spring, hit up the Singularity event. It's something the LA and LV burners put together jointly, draws several hundred people (and quite a bit of art and ridiculousness) from several states, and isn't too terribly far away from you.

Another option is Flipside. Held in Texas in late May (I want to say Memorial Day weekend, but I might be mistaken), those guys have been pushing the envelope on the art side for quite some time, and probably do a better job of attracting people who've never been to the playa than any other event west of the Mississippi.

~Trilo~

Xhile

Post by Xhile » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:52 am

As a participant in the Kiwiburn mentioned by Bruce above, it was small, but freakin' amazing.

All those who have attended BM Nevada agreed there was a true burner vibe and spirit there.

Small is beautiful. We're a small country. Next year (February, southern summer) we'll likely get 300-500 people. But the VIBE will be out of this world.

Burn baby burn

:)

www.kiwiburn.com
meh.

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:08 pm

The Burning Man regionals list seems to be incomplete and outdated,
don't know why.
This is the best regionals list I have found so far,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_re ... Man_events

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:28 pm

wedeliver wrote:For my two cents I will offer an idea. Drive the Playa on any major holiday (when dry) and there will be...the most interesting, far fucking out shit going on. July 4th is especially recommended.
Yes I recently talked to someone, living near Gerlach, who frequently
ventured onto the playa with friends to party and blow shit up.

They'd shoot at bags with a gallon or 2 of gasoline. A really incredible
explosion results from shooting up a full 20 gal propane Tank.

They never got hurt !!!

settings here: Aaaargh.
crash & burn ski lessons given

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:00 pm

not that bigger is better...but, wonder which of the American Regionals is biggest in terms of attendance? Flipside? Singularity?

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”