The Zaggat Guide to the Regional Burns

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:06 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:not that bigger is better...but, wonder which of the American Regionals is biggest in terms of attendance? Flipside? Singularity?
Flipside is probably the biggest regional, with tickets sales of
2007 in 2007. I suppose they will increase the cap by one next year.

Transformus, the North carolina burn could have
been bigger, but capped at 1200 due
to lack of Rangers and other volunteers. (IMHO, too high % of ravers
and party animals).
We need more BURNERS and more volunteers, please.
It is held on one of the most beautiful pieces of property anywhere.

Here's a prediction. In a few years, Alchemy, the Georgia Burn
might be the biggest regional. If the organizers want to get that big.
They have the land area and enough Burners within a one day drive
to make it happen.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:59 am

being from Atlanta by way of Tennessee, I would love to see Transformus and Alchemy take off!

Atlanta is already a kind of a cultural oasis in the conservative South. A friend of mine went to Transformus and thought it was the most beautiful location for any regional she had attended.

thanks for the info

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:08 pm

Steven bradford wrote: Yet they keep getting official blessing from San Francisco as Regional Events.
That and $5 will get you a triple latte, with soy.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

MrMullen

Post by MrMullen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Xhile wrote:As a participant in the Kiwiburn mentioned by Bruce above, it was small, but freakin' amazing.
I just want to goto a regional burn where I am the guy that talks funny. Maybe, even sexy!
--
Mr Mullen

susanneb

regionals I've been to

Post by susanneb » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:50 pm

I've been to Critical Massive (Seattle's regional) and Recompression (Vancouver BC's regional).

I've enjoyed both immensely and will be attending both again this year.

Critical Massive is now a full WEEK long, and this year will be in a new location in an area north of Seattle and just east of the Cascade Mountains called the Methow Valley. Its caused more than a few of us up here to finally decide to give up the event in the desert and put our full energies into attending and developing regionals. (first week of June this year - 2nd through 8th I believe)

Recompression is a 3-day weekend long, and has been called 'the club med of regionals' I think because we have it at a YMCA camp just north of Vancouver - which means your ticket cost (hundred dollar range) gets you a bunk bed in a heated CABIN, and all your meals while you're there (they cook, but we can specify menu). Its on the water (way to cold to swim though), there are several large buildings for group things/sound stages/etc., a healing/first aid building., lots of excellent outdoor space for art or a performance or just enjoying the nature, and a large communal bathroom building. The cabins each have 12 bunk beds so lend themselves perfectly to the idea of Theme Cabins - resulting in the usual "cabin crawl" Friday night. And usually someone brings a hottub. :) And we burn a man! I call him Jr.
(April 4, 5, & 6 this year)

I'd love to go to some others, just finding the time when I work a M-F 7-4 job is not always easy.

Happy days!
-Susanne of Orange Camp

Teo del Fuego

Re: regionals I've been to

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:17 pm

susanneb wrote: Its caused more than a few of us up here to finally decide to give up the event in the desert and put our full energies into attending and developing regionals.
ahhh, the evolution of Burning Man...shooting its tendrils out into the surrounding soil.

I bet its wonderful to have an awesome week long event you dont have to drive for two days to attend!

Thanks for the report

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Re: regionals I've been to

Post by wedeliver » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:59 am

susanneb wrote:...........Critical Massive is now a full WEEK long, and this year will be in a new location in an area north of Seattle and just east of the Cascade Mountains called the Methow Valley. Its caused more than a few of us up here to finally decide to give up the event in the desert and put our full energies into attending and developing regionals. (first week of June this year - 2nd through 8th I believe).......-Susanne of Orange Camp

This is from the Critical Massive website.

http://ignitionnw.org/criticalmassive/

.."There will be no gate sales OR will call and tickets will be limited to 500 this year. Don't miss out on this amazing year we have planned!"

Small groups can be so much fun.... but not the wild ride we have at BRC
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:02 am

A list someone put together on tribe.. thank you...

2008 regionals

Feb 15 → 18 : Frostburn, PA www.frostburnpgh.com
May 1 → 4 : Interfuse, MO www.midwestburners.com
May 8 → 11 : Toast, AZ www.toast-town.org
May 15 → 18 : Rebirth, HI www.kapilina.org
May 22 → 26 : Playa Del Fuego, DE www.playadelfuego.org and Flipside, TX www.burningflipside.com
May 30 → Jun 1 : Element 11, UT www.element11.org
Jun 5 → 8 : Apogaea, CO www.apogaea.com
Jun 13 → 15 :
Jun 19 → 22 : Dark Skies, LV darkskies.vegasartists.com and Scorched Nuts, OH www.scorchednuts.com/
Jun 27 → 29 : SOAK, OR www.burningmanportland.com
Jul 4 → 6 :
Jul 11 → 13 :
Jul 18 → 20 : Transformus, NC www.transformus.com
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:44 am

Looks like there are some open slots in the tour schedule. :)

kiwi54

Post by kiwi54 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:13 pm

theres lots of video here of regionals
keep em' coming

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... arch_type=
http://www.megatropolisproject.com/

cosmicvibrations

Post by cosmicvibrations » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:33 am

Resonate is this weekend in Chicago, I can't wait! :]
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
-Noam Chomsky

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:08 am

can anyone give us a field report on Frostburn in Penn>

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:41 am

Frida Be You & Me

stormfeather

2008 SOAK- 6/27-29 Portland, Oregon Regional

Post by stormfeather » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:20 am

2008 SOAK - Portland, Oregon Regional, June 6/27-29
details here: http://www.burningmanportland.com/

A few hundred people (approx 300 in '07 ?) , on private land near Salem, Oregon (one hour south of Portland) with a forest and meadows, a pond, a rubber duck race, music- both live and electronica, fire spinners, workshops (BRC ranger training in 07), 25 foot man burns Saturday. Kid and dog friendly. 6-8 theme camps including one that was later placed on the Esplanade at BM. New in '08 MISS SOAK contest and a no- talent show.

I went last year, and volunteered as a greeter, I had fun. This year I'll be a hosting a small theme camp:

sTEAp
Moonbeam and Stormfeather's
Cozy Tea Parlour

with a Wild, Wild, Western theme
stop by fer a spot of high tea and low morals

Xtevan
Burning Since: 2007

Flipside

Post by Xtevan » Tue May 13, 2008 1:47 pm

I scored Flipside tickets for the first time and am really looking forward to it. Would have gone years ago but It's a bear to get tickets

Have heard that Myschevia the north texas burn is small but a fun event, particularly the cooler fall weather. They still don't have a date set for '08 though.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Mon May 26, 2008 10:42 pm

Steven bradford wrote:Some of these events never grow, have no real art or performance ambition, and actively try not to involve people outside a core group of people who make it to BRC every year. Yet they keep getting official blessing from San Francisco as Regional Events.

They essentially suck the energy out of attempts by anyone else to bring the BRC spirit back to their communities, by establishing a stranglehold on the BM brand to have private house parties and camping trips.
Where did you get this idea? We have to limit attendance because our resources are limited.
It's what you make it.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Mon May 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:Any one been to Flipside and care to comment?
Not so much art. More music and event oriented. Great vibe, though.
It's what you make it.

Xtevan

Flipside etc

Post by Xtevan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:59 am

Flipside was great, like Hugh said it was a little short on the art side. The energy level was huge. I was impressed with the number of sound camps for a smaller event. The singing tesla coils were really cool! Soaking in the creek in the afternoons was like heaven on earth in the Texas heat. Will be dreaming of that creek while on the playa I suspect.

Looking forward to the flipside decompression 27-29th.

Mischevia the north texas burn has set dates for October 9th-13- Columbus Day weekend. It's small ~500 the last few years and off the beaten path- but no hoops to jump through for tickets.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:01 pm

Id love to see Singing Tesla Coils!

Teo del Fuego

New Dates for APOGAEA Colorado Regional Burn

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:23 am

Hot off the press, before its even announced on the website: Apogaea will take place June 10th through the 13th, or one week later than normal. The theme is Artropolis or Artopolis, we're not sure.

Apogaea has really taken off the past few years, growing bigger and better each year. There is a definite emphasis on really cool art, so it is much more than a rave in a beautiful setting.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:13 pm

What was the best Regional you have attended and why?

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm not much into the regionals. None of them have even come close to the real deal.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:20 pm

i wish i had attended Lakes of Fire this past year, in hindsight.

after meeting so many awesome burners in the area and spending a few mornings watching the sunrise with these lovely degenerates I can't wait to go spend a long weekend in the woods with them.

also, i don't think they are meant to "come close to the real deal" in terms of scale.

Teo del Fuego

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:36 am

jkisha wrote:I'm not much into the regionals. None of them have even come close to the real deal.JK
You're right to a good extent, but Regionals are like a good in-between snack while waiting for the big deal in the desert. I haven't attended Flipside, but I hear it probably is the best of the bunch.

drucake

Post by drucake » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Hey Teo. Flipside is great! I go every year and volunteer. We get close to 3000 people from all over the world. I met people from as far as Australia. There are a lot of people that prefer Flipside over BM because it cost less and we have a creek to swim in and go tubing. Its on beautiful land that has tall trees, open fields and a small river. Even a small island thats been turned into a sanctuary for lounging and art. I think they might even be building a shower house at some point. They have a full medical staff,rangers,city planning,greeters,earth guardians.......you name it. All the same stuff BM has. We have a different theme and effigy every year. If you got the itch to try out a regional this is the one to do. Tickets go on sale for 1 week in January. You have to send in a money order during that time. If the post mark on the envelope is before or after that date your money order is sent back. Its a little complicated but makes sense. There are no frat boys that show up on day3 drunk and wanna see boobs. If you want any more info feel free to hit me up. :D

burningflipside.com

drucake

Post by drucake » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:28 pm

One more thing on Flipside....its hot. And when I say hot I mean HOT. One year it was 107 in the shade. You people think BM is hot? Haha. BM is a breeze. Thats a dry heat. Nothing compares to Texas wet nasty muggy heat in the middle of the day. And at night, you dont get much of a break like you do at BM. It does cool down though. If you go, I suggest bringing a generator so you can run a fan for sleeping cause once that sun comes up your lucky if you sleep past 9am. I rent my small honda generator for 100 bucks for the week. It also allows me to run my christmas lights and decorations.

gerlachedNloaded
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:05 am

Interfuse in MO is getting BIG. expecting 2k + this year. full on art and sound 24/7 for 4 days.
I am HORSE

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:30 am

drucake wrote:One more thing on Flipside....its hot. And when I say hot I mean HOT. One year it was 107 in the shade. You people think BM is hot? Haha. BM is a breeze. Thats a dry heat. Nothing compares to Texas wet nasty muggy heat in the middle of the day. And at night, you dont get much of a break like you do at BM. It does cool down though. If you go, I suggest bringing a generator so you can run a fan for sleeping cause once that sun comes up your lucky if you sleep past 9am. I rent my small honda generator for 100 bucks for the week. It also allows me to run my christmas lights and decorations.
Hey drucake, saw you express interest in Lakes Of Fire in another thread and just wanted to tell you that we love the Texans! We seem to have developed a burner exchange program with Flipside, as the number of Texans seems to grow each year. Our camp adopted a Texan last year who is returning this year, and I'll extend the same offer to you. If you can make it out, we'll take care of all the infrastructure stuff for you (tent, kitchen, mattress, etc.), all we ask is that you bring a handle of booze for the bar! Hopefully, we're going to be able to take advantage of the program and will see you at Flipside in 2011!

drucake

Post by drucake » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi SO! i sent you PM. :D

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:23 pm

TOAST! is amazing, highly reccomended.

Dark Skies was cool, more theme camps then you'd see at TOAST! But i think Dark Skies is done, i know it was not held last year(this year). :(
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”