Transformus 08

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
Tassles McNasty

Transformus 08

Post by Tassles McNasty » Thu May 29, 2008 5:28 pm

so i did some site-searching and cant find a '08 transformus post (and can't post through transformus site) so here it is..

anyone else going?

i can offer a lift from atlanta (or somewhere between here and there)... i can load up about 3 or 4 people really but the camper van is my home so you gotsta bring a tent! i will however have stuff you can use like a gas stove and what not...

i don't have an invite yet, hoping to get one, but if i dont i may post again to see if anyone has an extra! ;)

regardless of wether or not i get a tik i will prob still be heading up that way and can drop off some folks :)

thought i'd throw out the offer!

skeetsh00ter

Post by skeetsh00ter » Thu May 29, 2008 5:58 pm

hey tassles mcnasty, I'll be going. I'm super excited, this will be my first year at transformus! Good luck finding the invite, i'm sure plenty will go on sale when we get closer to the event and people realize they can't go. Something will turn up!
www.novicebrewers.com

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri May 30, 2008 3:17 am

You should be able to post on the transformus forum.
Probably a lot on tribe too.
I think this is it.
http://lists.transformus.com/listinfo.c ... formus.com

http://www.dirtysouthernburners.com/
http://www.ripeatlanta.com/ripe/

Tassles McNasty

Post by Tassles McNasty » Fri May 30, 2008 2:59 pm

gyre- right, now I've got it, thanks :) I think the technical difficulties I was having before now appear to have actually been mental difficulties ;)

and skeetsh00ter, hello :) and hopefully I will see you there!

skeetsh00ter

Post by skeetsh00ter » Fri May 30, 2008 4:16 pm

By the way, I might take you up on the ride offer. I'm still not sure exactly what my plans are, but if I end up alone I'll let you know.
www.novicebrewers.com

Tassles McNasty

Post by Tassles McNasty » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:12 pm

Yep. I do need an invite! If anyone feels so inclined to sell me one!! ;) ;)

And no worries, if you need a ride I will still be hitting Asheville even if I don't get a tik :)

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Is it true that this is no longer an offical regional burn? I got an email from the announce list but it wasn't too informative as to the details. Anyone know what the deal is?

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:27 am

Yikes!
You miss a few emails and the world goes nuts.
This seems to be true.
A lot of angst and publicity.
I don't know what about.
It is now minimum age 21.
It is suggested that rumors are confusing other concerts held there with transformus.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

skeetsh00ter

Post by skeetsh00ter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:23 am

yup, seems to be true. The shits really hit the fan for tfus. I'll still be there though. It should be a good time regardless of whether or not it's an 'official' burn. I am still a little bummed that it is 21+ now. I feel like that might have been on of the biggest reasons that the 'official' status was taken away.

Who all is going?
www.novicebrewers.com

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:55 am

I dunno, Element 11 was 21+ and it is still an official burn. However, I don't know what's going to happen if we don't get new co-regionals. There's folks in the position, but they're not been officially approved. Could be messy.

We'll still burn though.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:35 pm

From Transformus- A Ticket Warning

There has been some speculation that certain individuals might be trying to sell false gate codes on our classifieds system and through other means. If you are buying a second hand invite, PLEASE contact Jace on the webteam to verify that invite codes validity. All he will need from you is the original gate code holders name, email and the gate codes themself to verify that they are authentic.

Please be patient if you do not hear back from him instantly, as he is very busy right now, but he will get to you as gosh darn fast as he can!

If you catch someone selling fake codes or suspect someone is selling fake codes, please contact Jace ASAP so he can deal with the situation

Thanks

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:57 pm

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:14 am

From one of SEVERAL anonymous sources....
Dear Regional Network,

It is with great sadness and discomfort that I announce
Transformus is no longer an official Burning Man Regional
Event. The Transformus Board of Directors received an e-mail from XOXOXOXOXOXOX
of Burning Man last night stating that there had been complaints made by the
community. The decision to change Transformus' s status as an official burn
was based on the BOD's lack of Civic Responsibility and Transparency. An
official statement will be released from Burning Man soon entailing all of
the details in depth and their reasoning. It will also lay out the process
necessary to regain or retain our status as a sanctioned Regional Burn.

The Transformus BOD would like to let everyone know that
at no point in time did we mean for any of this to happen. We did our best
to make sense of the madness that has occurred this year leading up to
Transformus 2008. We apologize to the community for our break down in
communication and our botched ticketing system. We are just a group of
normal people, who tried to the best of our abilities to bring you a
successful event. We are only human and the lack of Civic Responsibility and
Transparency was never, at any point in time, meaningfully sought out.

As many of you know, several members of the Transformus
BOD have resigned. We thank them for their time, energy and devotion to this
event. However, moving forward, there will be a lot of changes that will
take place after Transformus 2008, and we are looking to this community to
foster and implement those changes. The BOD opens the gates to the community
as to where the future lies in running this event after Transformus 2008.
For those of you who have wanted answers,decisions, and change, I ask you to
step up to the challenge of making Transformus the way the community wants
it to evolve. There are still just a few BOD members, including myself,
that will help facilitate the means to making the situation at hand better
after the event. Until that day and time, I respectfully and earnestly ask
all of you to bring positivity and not negativity to our community.

Finally, for all of those in the community who wanted action and change,
here is your opportunity to do something. The event is less than a month out
,and we can come out of the darkness and produce a great event that is fun,
meaningful, transformative. ..not just a party in the woods. To all of you
who are still coming and making it to Transformus 2008, we want to
personally thank you for believing in the magical place known as Mysteria.
Despite all the drama, anger, and confusion, we will rise to make
Transformus 2008, the best one to date.

Positively Yours,

DTR
Transformus BOD
Burning Man Co-RC-SC
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:33 am

Got a few more emails.. at least the latest batch is a little more informative and alot less vague. From what I understand the big problem is with the invite system. I would have been able to make it to Transformus but gave up after finding out it became invite only. Guess the invite thing goes against the radical inclusion principle. I totally understand why the ORG gave em the boot, maybe if they reopen the event to the public and get rid of that invite only crap they can be a regional next year.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:43 am

As far as I know, they have always called the tickets invites.
Last year they had the same type of computer sale system bman uses for tickets.
Only glitch I know of was a wrong announce date for one of the tiers of tickets.

It sounds like transparency issues with how the group is operating and input and communication problems.
I don't know any details about the ticket issue, if any.
Always hard to get tickets.
Sold out in two minutes last year.
They did oversell due to the speed of sales then.

RingO'Fire

Post by RingO'Fire » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:45 am

Toolmaker wrote:Got a few more emails.. at least the latest batch is a little more informative and alot less vague. From what I understand the big problem is with the invite system. I would have been able to make it to Transformus but gave up after finding out it became invite only. Guess the invite thing goes against the radical inclusion principle. I totally understand why the ORG gave em the boot, maybe if they reopen the event to the public and get rid of that invite only crap they can be a regional next year.
Toolmaker,

The invites ARE "open to the public." Gyre's right, from Year 1 in 2004, they've always had "invites." Here's the deal on why Transformus has "invites" instead of "tickets." By having "invites" available for a "donation", rather than "tickets for sale", then Transformus is legally a private party on private land, instead of a public event, and hence is not open to local LEO's to come sniffing around whenever they feel like it.

Gyre's also right in that, in years past, they had electronic ticket sales via the internet. This year, they went to an "application" process, in which you fill out an application for an invite, mail it in, and keep you fingers crossed. However, anyone could go on the Transformus web site, sign up, and submit an application for an invite. If you were given an invite, then it was time to make your "donation."

From what I understand, the problem was that the system used by the Transformus Board of Directors (BOD) for judging which applications received invites and which didn't was judged not to be "transparent" enough for some members of the community.
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:01 am

RingO'Fire wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:Got a few more emails.. at least the latest batch is a little more informative and alot less vague. From what I understand the big problem is with the invite system. I would have been able to make it to Transformus but gave up after finding out it became invite only. Guess the invite thing goes against the radical inclusion principle. I totally understand why the ORG gave em the boot, maybe if they reopen the event to the public and get rid of that invite only crap they can be a regional next year.
Toolmaker,

The invites ARE "open to the public." Gyre's right, from Year 1 in 2004, they've always had "invites." Here's the deal on why Transformus has "invites" instead of "tickets." By having "invites" available for a "donation", rather than "tickets for sale", then Transformus is legally a private party on private land, instead of a public event, and hence is not open to local LEO's to come sniffing around whenever they feel like it.

Gyre's also right in that, in years past, they had electronic ticket sales via the internet. This year, they went to an "application" process, in which you fill out an application for an invite, mail it in, and keep you fingers crossed. However, anyone could go on the Transformus web site, sign up, and submit an application for an invite. If you were given an invite, then it was time to make your "donation."

From what I understand, the problem was that the system used by the Transformus Board of Directors (BOD) for judging which applications received invites and which didn't was judged not to be "transparent" enough for some members of the community.
Now that makes things alot clearer. Thanks a bunch. Maybe next year I will try again to get an invite and offer a bribe to secure my invite. :)

Totally makes sense with your "legal" explanation.. those emails had me stumped for awhile there.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:32 am

Great site.
The burn itself was the best I've been to, a lot of bamboo lit from the inside first.
The music was way, way, way too loud if anyone wanted to talk.
That, and the date being too close to burning man is why I'm not going back this year.

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”